Posted Mar 14, 2013
11:11:35 PM
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277

Wow!  That week flew by quickly.  We just returned home from a short trip down to the old home town....north off Wichita.  Just a visit with wife's relatives.  Poor lady.  Here AT&T DSL is awful.  Consistently the down speed was only .66 mbps.  Up speed was half that...at around .32 mbps.   Really awful.  Last year I went round and round with AT&T about their slow speed.  She is supposed to be getting 1.3 mbps.  They put new line in from the pole out at the street and it helped considerably.  But now it is back to it's old foot-dragging speed.  I did not have a chance to call it in.  I hope she does.

Snow here is nearly gone.  Just some remains from the huge piles where the crews bladed parking lots and dumped it in the corners.  It really warmed up here today....with a high o 70.8 degrees.

On our drive 200 miles into Kansas I was burning gasoline purchased here in Missouri where the corrupt legislature and executive branch has put laws into place mandating all gas stations MUST sell gasohol.....10% or more ethanol blended with gasoline.  Most cars take a big hit on mileage because alcohol has considerably fewer B.T.U.'s than gasoline.  In our case I was getting around 36 to 37 mpg on the trip out....Then....on the way home I stopped at a Flying "J" truck stop in Emporia, Kansas and they had alcohol free regular unleaded.  87 octane.  I put over 9 gallons in our 17 gallon tank and for the rest of our trip we got between 43.5 and 44 miles per gallon driving 70 mph.  We own a 2007 Camry hybrid so we expect good mileage.  But it is really irritating to have to see it drop so much when we buy the Missouri gas......just to make the farm organizations and the ethanol producers happy.  I'll bet a lot of palms got crossed when the state legislature was working on THAT bill.

Well....I'm tired.  Been a long day....Hope y'all have a wonderful week.
 Off to bed.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277

28 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(28)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 15, 2013 6:22:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I agree, ethanol does no one any favors as you have proven, it causes cars to get worse gas milage and there for having to buy more gas.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #277

2 of 29 (1,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 15, 2013 6:24:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

I wonder what kind of hold the corn industry has on the government. Almost every single thing you eat or use has a corn product in it. Not to mention that corn is also subsidized by our government and it makes it even cheaper to produce for farmers.  

There are easier ways to produce ethanol that produce better results with other plant products, but corn gets the nod. Making sugar cane isn't stressful to the environment, but HCFS is in everything because it's cheaper to make. 

In my opinion we as a country should lower the subsidy we give to corn farmers and encourage them to grow other crops.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

3 of 29 (1,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 15, 2013 9:19:42 AM
(0)
Master

Personally I'd hate to see the subsidizes to the small-time farmers around here for growing corn cut-off. Many of the acreages for these farms near me are under 1,000 acres or even less than 500. They try and rotate crops but only have about 3 options which includes corn, soybeans and winter wheat. Some will double-crop if they have the money for planting soybeans after the wheat is taken off near July. But this almost seems to be high-risk anymore with all the droughts/dry summers we've been having lately.

Costs to farmers for equipment, fuels, seed, fertilizer, herbicides/pesticides, feed if they have livestock, etc, have become so high unfortunately many of these area small farms are going under. A new combine costs as much as a new house anymore. And many of the farmers kids don't want to become farmers, or take over the farming operations as they grow up, because they've seen what kind of hard life their parents have gone through.

It doesn't help I'm not far from the urban sprawl from Columbus. I sure hate to see these small farms to turn into housing developments which they sure have over the past 25 years. The small towns I've grown up around have turned into mini-cities with big stores, strip-malls, more people/traffic and higher crime. Change is not good from what I've seen around here and I'll aways offer support to the area farmers.

4 of 29 (1,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 15, 2013 10:18:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well....I have a conflict because...even though I do not believe that ethanol from corn is the answer for fuel....I do identify with the smaller farm owners/operators because I have one.   240 acres in South Central Iowa.  As Uni commented....we rotate crops.  Used to be corn-soybeans-clover.  But now it is primarily corn and soybeans.  Soybeans put nitrogen back into the soil that the corn sucks out.  AND the beans are major source for many products.  Primarily our corn goes for feed for cattle.  But we have also sold it to plants which make corn syrup....and even vitamins and other health products for humans.  In the old, old days the cobs were useful for other "waste removal" tasks but we won't go further into that.  Not used for that anymore.:smileyvery-happy:    The cost of production for the farmer just keeps climbing and climbing.  Like costs everywhere.  For years and years we sold corn for $2 to $3 dollars a bushel.  It's quite a bit better now.....but, by golly, it's about time the family farmer saw some good times.

Now....another problem is the price of farm land.  WOW!  Would you believe that choice land in Iowa is now valued as high as $10,000 per acre.  That is ridiculous.  The producer becomes land poor.  His return on investment is still rock bottom.  It used to be that the family farm would be passed down from parents to kids and then to grandkids....generation to generation.  But now the current administration in D.C. wants to blow the inheritance taxes way up.  Couple THAT with the skyrocketing values of farm land (which the typical farmer has no control over) and the kids cannot afford to inherit their family farm.  Have to sell the doggone place to pay the taxes.  The huge corporate farming operations and the land speculators are destroying the family farms. Now we are coping with climate change....either temporary or long term (no one knows for sure) and that is reducing production.  I agree with Uni.  Keep in mind....there is just one basic industry....necessary for life to exist on this old Earth.....and that is agriculture.  So it's kind of important to keep it healthy.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

5 of 29 (993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2013 7:37:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I agree that corn should be used for food (people or animals) and not for the gas tank.  With it going to the gas tank it makes the cost of everything else go up.  Cattle farmers have to pay more for their food, which in turn drives the cost of beef up.  Gas prices go up causing everything else to go up to offset the cost of fuel for transportation.  Vicious cycle.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

6 of 29 (963 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2013 9:57:52 AM
(0)
Expert
Corn should not be used for feeding cattle, either. Corn is not the natural diet of cattle, they're supposed to eat grass. When cattle eat corn regularly, it messes up the biochemistry of their digestive system, and causes the levels of E.Coli in their intestines to skyrocket.

The E.Coli then readily can contaminate the beef when the cattle are slaughtered and processed. Also, while the cattle are being raised, the ground water run-off from the cattle farm is highly contaminated with E.Coli, which will easily infect any adjacent farmland and their food crop, like spinach.

Corn subsidies are actually holding us back because they're drastically interfering with the economics of the free market. If the subsidies ended, then corn's cost would reflect what it actually costs to grow and process it. This, in turn, would cause the following:

1. Beef costs rise at first, but level out after farmers switch to grass feeding, and the E.Coli contamination incidents fall to nothing.
2. Gasoline costs go up at first until the market responds with vehicles that increase fuel efficiency. This also drives alternative energies and associated research.
3. Any food product using high-fructose corn syrup gets a significant price boost because real sugar has to be used instead, forcing food manufacturers to improve product taste in other ways without just adding sugar. The resulting calorie count of the food products goes down and the flavor goes up.

What amazes me is that the people who are always in favor of reducing government size/interference/influence are the same ones who refuse to allow the free market to take its course.

7 of 29 (954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2013 6:56:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:
Corn should not be used for feeding cattle, either. Corn is not the natural diet of cattle, they're supposed to eat grass. When cattle eat corn regularly, it messes up the biochemistry of their digestive system, and causes the levels of E.Coli in their intestines to skyrocket.

The E.Coli then readily can contaminate the beef when the cattle are slaughtered and processed. Also, while the cattle are being raised, the ground water run-off from the cattle farm is highly contaminated with E.Coli, which will easily infect any adjacent farmland and their food crop, like spinach.

Corn subsidies are actually holding us back because they're drastically interfering with the economics of the free market. If the subsidies ended, then corn's cost would reflect what it actually costs to grow and process it. This, in turn, would cause the following:

1. Beef costs rise at first, but level out after farmers switch to grass feeding, and the E.Coli contamination incidents fall to nothing.
2. Gasoline costs go up at first until the market responds with vehicles that increase fuel efficiency. This also drives alternative energies and associated research.
3. Any food product using high-fructose corn syrup gets a significant price boost because real sugar has to be used instead, forcing food manufacturers to improve product taste in other ways without just adding sugar. The resulting calorie count of the food products goes down and the flavor goes up.

What amazes me is that the people who are always in favor of reducing government size/interference/influence are the same ones who refuse to allow the free market to take its course.

Yup, nothin' wrong with allowing a free market to take it's course, but even a free market needs some control. After all it was our free market that invented CDOs.

Unfortunately, with the free market we currently have, when allowed to take it's course, invariably will leave tire tracks down the backs of the average American, while making the huge mega-corps even more powerful.

For a free market to take a natural and socially beneficial course, it's needs to be driven from the bottom, not the top.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

8 of 29 (942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2013 7:26:15 PM
(0)
Expert
Oh, don't get me wrong. There is most certainly a place for control and regulation. When it comes to health of people, safety of procedures or products, protection of the economic system, then absolutely we need rules/laws and enforcement of them.

But interfering in the preference of food ingredients by subsidizing corn is not one of those things.

9 of 29 (938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 18, 2013 11:19:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Maybe a slow, staggered, decrease and elimination  of the subsidizes to potentially decrease the short term damage that would happen.

Another thought is that you only get subsidized for your crops up to a certain acreage. This would help out the smaller farmers while the big companies have to deal with working on smaller subsidizes.

Of course crackpot ideas like these will never happen but it's nice to dream.

-------

10 of 29 (913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2013 10:19:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Oddly.....we always say that field corn (which we grow in Iowa) is all used for feeding livestock.  But when I was a kid I did not know what sweet corn was.  We ate the field corn and I still like the flavor.  It has to be picked early....before it dents....for human consumption.  When we lived in the Des Moines, IA area we would take our RV and spend quite a few weekends "down on the farm"....just to get away to the quiet and calm of the country.  In June, usually, I wander out into the field and pick a few big fat ears for my wife to boil up for us and our three sons.  Yummy.  For my part....typical sweet corn is rather tasteless compared to ordinary field corn.

It's been a busy week.  Bad news is that our A/C-heat pump has gone south.  The system is just over 10 yrs. old so we've decided to replace the whole thing....gas furnace....heat pump & A/C.  Whew....can you believe $5,000?   Now what did I do with that tin cup and package of pencils.  Need to stake out a new corner downtown.

THEN.....there's our U-verse service problem.  2 to 3 minute drop-outs.....intermittent....happening more and more often over the last few months.  SomeJoe's UV Realtime shows increasing numbers of uncorrected errors, etc.   So I called in.  1st time was unrewarding.  But this time I got a ticket for a home visit by a tech.  Really super nice tech showed up.  Boy he went through the whole system bit by bit.  Replaced balun and also the diplexer.  Then replaced all coax cable end connectors.  These steps seemed to reduce the problems he was seeing on his instruments.  Then we had a discussion about my having our dual-band wireless router connected to the "network" port on the DVR located in our living room.  He stated that this has been known to cause problems and that this port is not meant for this purpose.  Strange....since it is labeled "network".  Well....he moved our DVR to the computer room and connected it to the RG via Ethernet cable....then put the regular STB that was back there, out in the living room.  Everything seemed to be OK.  But just now....as I write this....we had another complete dropout of signal.  RG is not rebooting....all seems OK....just no TV at all....HD & SD.  OK....back to the phone.  Oh me.  Someone up there hates me.

11 of 29 (889 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2013 12:16:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

OK....the first tech just left a few minutes ago.  He's convinced the problem is outside on the line.  Just got call from line tech and he's on his way.  We're 1800 to 1900 ft. from the VRAD....so he may at it a while.  Wheeee.   I've been saying that I thought we had an intermittent problem on the line away from the house for a long time.  But the dummy customer's opinion carries very little weight.

12 of 29 (871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2013 3:24:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Line tech spent nearly an hour running tests......reported to me that he could find no problem with the line from the VRAD to our property.  Amazingly he also revealed that the tech who came to the house today was turned down by AT&T quality control when he asked to be able to bring a line tech into the picture.  But he went ahead and contacted one anyway.   So I guess only thing left is to replace the RG with a new one. Eh?  We'll see if we have anymore signal drops.

13 of 29 (854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2013 5:43:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Hey Phil, is it just the TV you're losing, internet is good?

You said they swapped locations for a DVR and non-DVR STB, do you still have your "N" router plugged into an STB in your livingroom?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

14 of 29 (841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2013 6:03:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Computer-Joe wrote:

Hey Phil, is it just the TV you're losing, internet is good? No. We lose everything.....intermittently.....for short periods of time.....2 to 4 minutes.  Then it all comes back on its own.  Strange, huh?

You said they swapped locations for a DVR and non-DVR STB, do you still have your "N" router plugged into an STB in your livingroom? Yes.

So far this evening all is OK.  The Line Tech indicated he was recommending that the home tech come back and install CAT 5 from the NID to the RG.  I'm going to ask why they don't just move the RG to the garage and reinstall it on the inside wall just opposite the NID.  Then....use the coax from there to the DVR and two STBs in the house.  It would eliminate the long feed from the NID to the RG and all the coax would be downstream from it.  If we had a basement or crawl space I'd opt for CAT 5 rewire.  Alas.....our house has concrete slab flooring.

15 of 29 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2013 4:19:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

hpmsrm wrote:
 If we had a basement or crawl space I'd opt for CAT 5 rewire.  Alas.....our house has concrete slab flooring.

No attic space? This would be the time of year to do it, if they could get up there.

I've done a lot of free-wiring (no conduit or dedicated chases) for communications and electrical and it's quite often no more work to do it from an attic than from a basement. In fact it's usually easier to drill a small hole in the top plate of a wall and drop a wire down to a wall plate than it is to find the bottom plate from the basement, drill a hole and get the wire up through the wall to the wall plate.

neon_sign.jpg

16 of 29 (816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2013 10:19:22 AM
(0)
Master

Computer-Joe wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:
 If we had a basement or crawl space I'd opt for CAT 5 rewire.  Alas.....our house has concrete slab flooring.

No attic space? This would be the time of year to do it, if they could get up there.

I've done a lot of free-wiring (no conduit or dedicated chases) for communications and electrical and it's quite often no more work to do it from an attic than from a basement. In fact it's usually easier to drill a small hole in the top plate of a wall and drop a wire down to a wall plate than it is to find the bottom plate from the basement, drill a hole and get the wire up through the wall to the wall plate.

Makes a lot of sense CJ and I can relate to what your saying, especially on old houses. My son has a small old house that was built in 1910 right next to one of the Ohio canals which of course is no longer there. I've done a lot of new electrical wiring there and since the sill plate is sitting on top of glazed 10" thick ceramic block there is no way to pull/fish wiring up through the walls. I had to pull a wire up to the attic next to the cold air return and then drill through the top sill plate where the attic meets the roof trusses and drop wire down for new lights, electric outlets, and switches. Lots of fun working in 10" of nasty old cellulose insulation while running into metal gas lines throughout the ceilings for old gas lights.
My big old house built in 1927 is about the same way but can't even run coax up/down through the walls since they put so many hardwood/thick braces between the wall studs. While not the right/neat way to do it I had to drill holes up through the basement open-joist ceiling to the corner of the rooms near where a TV was going to be. The holes were big enough so I could get a coax crimped on connector with electrical tape on the end through.
I'd also like to abort all the coax in this house, along w/the splitter on the outside siding. Thought about buying pre-made cat5 cables through Monoprice and doing it myself. Doesn't U-verse charge extra for running new cat5 and believe they won't fish wires up/down through walls? They actually wouldn't have to fish cat5 up/down in the walls here and maybe if I whined enough they would replace them for free.
BTW Phil, it's a small world and I'm also having trouble with my U-verse service going down completely sometimes. Just had a new coax splitter, new coax ends, new 3801 RG and 2250 DVR installed through 2 service calls within the past 6 months. I also think it may be the outside line but every time they take a reading it's perfect. Since mainly it's late at night when the signal goes down I often wonder if U-verse isn't just messing with something somewhere?

17 of 29 (792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2013 8:12:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

So my wife totally suprised me tonight. She has known for a while that I wanted a Surface tablet for some time. Well she got a very nice bonus at work recently and I suggested that we put some of it towards redoing our bathroom floor and the rest to paying off her car loan.

Instead she decided to use it to get me a Surface instead redoing the floor right now (she said we can do them in a few months since we'll be saving the payments she was making on her car)

I didn't see it coming.

-------

18 of 29 (770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2013 8:24:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Mar 20, 2013 at 8:31:15 PM

Coming down through the wall from the attic would be my only option, C.J.   But, like Uni said....in my mind's eye I have visions of cross members and braces between studs getting in the way.  From the basement...if I had one....I could simply drill a small hole down through the floor....right up against the baseboard.  But, of course, that option is not available to me.

Did you replace the diplexer, Uni?  The first tech indicated to me that the biggest part of the problems in the house seemed to disappear (on his instruments) after changing our diplexer out.   Right now....about 24 hours after last RG reboot....my UV Realtime shows only 1660 corrected blocks and, believe it or not, zero uncorrected blocks.  The chart has never looked so clean in the 5+ years that we've been subscribers to U-verse.  We've had no signal drop-outs today.   No one showed up to run any CAT 5 so I'm guessing the guys' superiors nixed it unless we keep on having problems.  The line tech seemed to think that just a simple run of CAT 5 from the NID to the RG (full length of the house) would probably not cost us anything.  But who knows.

Wow, A.G.    A very nice surprise.  Been a good boy, eh?  Which Surface Tablet is it?    I'm still plugging away on my old Dell laptop and, occasionally, on my HP desktop.  Good thing I have not spent any money on any exotic toys......got to pay for the new furnace-heat pump-A/C for the house.   I know you'll enjoy that tablet.

[ Edited ]
19 of 29 (766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 20, 2013 9:57:51 PM
(0)
Master

Yeah Phil, that's exactly what I did was to drill small holes through the floors right next to the baseboard or in a corner and ran the coax in the basement through the open floor joists. Actually I believe I could run all pre-made cat5e cables myself but would have to pull the coax from the holes since there isn't room for both cables.

Since I now have Voice, instead of a landline, the last tech who was here about gutted the inside of the NID and replaced about everything needed in there. Since I've always had a cat5e run from the NID to the RG I don't believe I even have a diplexer. Guess I'm lucky the NID is on the outside wall of the house while the RG is right on the other side inside. Know that's what you mentioned about moving the RG closer to the NID.

PS, congrats on your new Surface americangame and real nice of your wife!

20 of 29 (749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 21, 2013 6:10:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

It was the pro version with 128GB of space.  She also got me the type keyboard (she played with the touch one and didn't like how it felt).

-------

21 of 29 (725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 21, 2013 7:05:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Speaking of Ethanol - Indianapolis had a surge in gas prices from about $3.50 to 3.95, on Monday.  Our local TV News credited this to two issues: 1) Spring Break and 2) A new Federal regulation imposing extra tariffs on non-renewable fuels.  I haven't the time to research the latter but the former sounds aboit right - price gouging.

Sam's Club is a great place to get cheaper gas (note I would never call it cheap).  When it was $3.79 everywhere else, it was $3.42 at one Sam's Club.  Now it's $3.55 when most are $3.80-3.95.  Filling up there 2x a month would about pay for the annual membership!

22 of 29 (718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 21, 2013 8:00:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Uniblurb3 wrote:
Makes a lot of sense CJ and I can relate to what your saying, especially on old houses. My son has a small old house that was built in 1910 right next to one of the Ohio canals which of course is no longer there. I've done a lot of new electrical wiring there and since the sill plate is sitting on top of glazed 10" thick ceramic block there is no way to pull/fish wiring up through the walls. I had to pull a wire up to the attic next to the cold air return and then drill through the top sill plate where the attic meets the roof trusses and drop wire down for new lights, electric outlets, and switches. Lots of fun working in 10" of nasty old cellulose insulation while running into metal gas lines throughout the ceilings for old gas lights.
My big old house built in 1927 is about the same way but can't even run coax up/down through the walls since they put so many hardwood/thick braces between the wall studs. While not the right/neat way to do it I had to drill holes up through the basement open-joist ceiling to the corner of the rooms near where a TV was going to be. The holes were big enough so I could get a coax crimped on connector with electrical tape on the end through.
I'd also like to abort all the coax in this house, along w/the splitter on the outside siding. Thought about buying pre-made cat5 cables through Monoprice and doing it myself. Doesn't U-verse charge extra for running new cat5 and believe they won't fish wires up/down through walls? They actually wouldn't have to fish cat5 up/down in the walls here and maybe if I whined enough they would replace them for free.
BTW Phil, it's a small world and I'm also having trouble with my U-verse service going down completely sometimes. Just had a new coax splitter, new coax ends, new 3801 RG and 2250 DVR installed through 2 service calls within the past 6 months. I also think it may be the outside line but every time they take a reading it's perfect. Since mainly it's late at night when the signal goes down I often wonder if U-verse isn't just messing with something somewhere?

The best tool I've come across for free-wiring is about 25 feet of bead-chain (like pull-chains on ceiling fixtures). You want the larger (heavy-duty) stuff, I think it's 5/32 or 3/16 beads. You can drop that down through the top plate on a wall and, if there's a way to the bottom of the wall, that bead-chain will find it because it basically pours down through the wall. Plus it doesn't get caught on stuff when pulling it out like a piece of string would, or stuck on stuff in the wall while pushing it in, like a coiled fish-tape would.

neon_sign.jpg

23 of 29 (711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 21, 2013 8:17:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

hpmsrm wrote:

Coming down through the wall from the attic would be my only option, C.J.   But, like Uni said....in my mind's eye I have visions of cross members and braces between studs getting in the way.  From the basement...if I had one....I could simply drill a small hole down through the floor....right up against the baseboard.  But, of course, that option is not available to me.

Did you replace the diplexer, Uni?  The first tech indicated to me that the biggest part of the problems in the house seemed to disappear (on his instruments) after changing our diplexer out.   Right now....about 24 hours after last RG reboot....my UV Realtime shows only 1660 corrected blocks and, believe it or not, zero uncorrected blocks.  The chart has never looked so clean in the 5+ years that we've been subscribers to U-verse.  We've had no signal drop-outs today.   No one showed up to run any CAT 5 so I'm guessing the guys' superiors nixed it unless we keep on having problems.  The line tech seemed to think that just a simple run of CAT 5 from the NID to the RG (full length of the house) would probably not cost us anything.  But who knows.

Wow, A.G.    A very nice surprise.  Been a good boy, eh?  Which Surface Tablet is it?    I'm still plugging away on my old Dell laptop and, occasionally, on my HP desktop.  Good thing I have not spent any money on any exotic toys......got to pay for the new furnace-heat pump-A/C for the house.   I know you'll enjoy that tablet.

CAT5/6 should help, if you get a competent installer. Frankly though, from the installs I've seen (both during the install or after the fact) most techs are pretty lackadaisical when it comes to proper handling and installation of CAT5/6 cable. I watched one install where they spooled out all the wire they thought they needed on my basement floor and then proceeded to walk all over it while they were nailing it up. I've seen where they had 6 -10 feet extra wire and instead of coiling it up it was folded flat and stapled to a floor joist. I've seen runs that did 90 degree turns coming out of a cable clamp and pulled so tight you could strum it like a guitar. I've also seen where they crimped an RJ45 plug on the end of a cable and the jacket was an inch short of the plug. Those guys need to be taught there's a difference between COAX and CAT5/6 in the way they are handle and installed.

neon_sign.jpg

24 of 29 (707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 21, 2013 8:54:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

dhascall wrote:

Sam's Club is a great place to get cheaper gas (note I would never call it cheap).  When it was $3.79 everywhere else, it was $3.42 at one Sam's Club.  Now it's $3.55 when most are $3.80-3.95.  Filling up there 2x a month would about pay for the annual membership!

I've found Kroger's in my area to be the best deal when it comes to getting gas if you are apart of their rewards program. Without the rewards card, the gas price is similar to Walmart's but with the card you'll get $0.03/gallon off unless you've bought over $100 in groceries from them.  For each $100 you've spent you get $0.10 off up to $1.00 a gallon.  So if you have spent $1000 in groceries since your last fillup your price will be $2.659/gallon instead of $3.659/gallon.

-------

25 of 29 (699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 21, 2013 2:48:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

We do 95% of our shopping at Kroger and what we do is purchase Visa gift cards before we shop for the amount we're going to spend and we get 2x the points for that, then we buy our groceries with the cards so for 150 you get close to 500 points because the activation fees count towards points as well.  Right now Kroger is doing a 4x points for the Visa cards, just make sure it's not the reloadable ones.

26 of 29 (680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 21, 2013 2:50:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

oufanindallas wrote:

We do 95% of our shopping at Kroger and what we do is purchase Visa gift cards before we shop for the amount we're going to spend and we get 2x the points for that, then we buy our groceries with the cards so for 150 you get close to 500 points because the activation fees count towards points as well.  Right now Kroger is doing a 4x points for the Visa cards, just make sure it's not the reloadable ones.

Never thought of that. This sounds like a great way to beat the system.

-------

27 of 29 (676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 21, 2013 2:53:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on Mar 21, 2013 at 2:54:26 PM

also controls how much you spend on groceries and cuts back on impulse buying. :smileywink:

A co-worker told me that's the way he's been doing it for years.

[ Edited ]
28 of 29 (672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 21, 2013 7:12:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Mar 21, 2013 at 7:15:00 PM

One of the big regional grocery chains has the gas discount program here.  But the points are awarded only on certain merchandise and that changes from week to week.  One has to wander through the store and look for the signs.  It's a pain.  We don't have any big national grocery chains in this immediate area.   Our best is a chain called Hy-Vee.  Based in Iowa.....owned by the employees.  It's our favorite.  Their gas credits can be spent at the store's own station or at one of a couple of other gas station chains in our area.  That is convenient.

OK....who pulled the switch.  All of a sudden I have to log in everytime I come to the forum.  Wonder how that happened.  Must be that little black cloud that follows me around. 

Bought a sound bar for our Sony SXRD 55 incher.  The speakers in the set just did not have enough clarity for these old ears.   Got a Sony unit with small subwoofer.  Hooked it up to the fixed level audio output on the TV.  Audio kept dropping out.  No matter what I tried....it kept doing it.  I was just about to pack the darn sound bar up and take it back to the store.  Then I had a thought (yeah I still get ideas once in a while).  Perhaps it was not the sound bar but rather, maybe the problem was with the audio output from the TV.  So I connected the bar to the audio output on the back of the STB.  Wallah!  No more dropouts.  Problem is...it took me nearly a day to figure it outHard to believe that I used to multi-task like crazy.....keep in touch with a dozen projects at a time....but not no mo.

By the way.....no video dropouts for almost 48 hours.

Yuck!.......got another 1/2 to 1 inch of snow.  Bigger snow storm expected this weekend.  Someone up there is really mad at us.

[ Edited ]
29 of 29 (628 Views)