Posted Feb 15, 2013
6:26:11 AM
Weekly Off Topic Thread #273
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Feb 15, 2013 at 6:35:42 AM

Apparently someone who was snowbound up in the northeast was really bored ...

Fun with RDNS

Try the following in a command window:

tracert -h 100 216.81.59.173

Weekly Off Topic Thread #273

[ Edited ]
16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2013 6:29:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

That is too cool.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off Topic Thread #273

2 of 17 (669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2013 12:47:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

13198_483639595030323_41339281_n.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 17 (630 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2013 3:49:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

SJ, did you try it with a hop count of more than 30?

4 of 17 (617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2013 4:22:58 PM
(0)
Expert
Ya, right after I first posted it. I edited the post to add a higher hop count so you can see the whole tracert.

5 of 17 (615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2013 4:56:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Anyone volunteer to explain to old dummy here what I was looking at.   I got bored waiting for it to run the gamut and bailed out.

Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation. ......Henry A. Kissinger

6 of 17 (615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 15, 2013 8:11:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

A traceroute is a networking tool that shows you the routers (or hops) between your computer and some distant system.  Normally it translates each IP address into something meaningful to a network engineer (usually some internal code, a city name and the owner's domain).  For instance I can see host names like "rlgnc" (Raleigh, NC) and "wswdc" (Washington, DC) within AT&T's network.

This guy did something creative to route traffic between a series of IP addresses and assigned them unconventional names.  For me, I get to his first hop about hop 16 or so.  Or, I did this morning from my office network. I understand this guy has been having some issues keeping this network up due to traffic.

And, SJ, I see now that you added the "-h 100".

7 of 17 (597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2013 6:48:40 AM
(0)
Expert
The "unconventional names" that this guy assigned to each router spell out the introductory text from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, released to theaters in 1977.

8 of 17 (578 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2013 7:07:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok.  Thanks.  Beyond my pay level.:smileylol:

Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation. ......Henry A. Kissinger

9 of 17 (551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2013 11:35:01 AM
(0)
Master

Pretty cool SJ!

Thought the below story is interesting about Best Buy making their online price-matching policy permanent. I for one used to use BB as a showroom for viewing electronics and then making my purchase through Amazon or some other lower-priced electronics online retailer.

http://news.yahoo.com/best-buy-makes-online-price-matching-policy-permanent-124532207.html

Guess you'll still have to put up with the obnoxious sales people pushing pricey extended warranties and paying taxes on the spot.

The news articles on this keep getting shorter from what I read yesterday. One thing which is no longer mentioned is Best Buy is reducing the return policy time frame on all purchases from 30 days to 14 days. Sounds like a pretty crappy policy on returns. The exception is "Premier Silver Rewards Card" members who will still have 60 days on returns.

Wonder if this isn't just a last ditch effort by Best Buy from going under like many of the other big-box electronic chains/stores? I'm still a silver rewards card member but haven't purchased any large electronic item from BB in about 3-4 years. I'll probably continue to make my electronic purchases online with free shipping and avoid the store hassle along with taxes you pay later.

10 of 17 (478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2013 6:04:43 PM
(0)
Expert
To me it doesn't matter whatsoever if Best Buy price matches or not. The fact is that they never carry anything I want to buy in the store.

I have a Best Buy 2 blocks down the street from me. Virtually any time I want to make an impulse buy of a Blu-Ray, computer item, electronic item, etc. I go in there to see if I can buy it. I am not exaggerating when I say this, but literally 80% of the time or more, they don't have what I'm looking for on the shelf and I walk out of the store empty-handed. I then proceed to Fry's, which will carry that item most of the time.

Best Buy is going under, period end of story. There's no stopping it now. The number of products, models, kits, etc. has skyrocketed over the last 20 years, and brick-and-mortar stores can no longer offer enough of a selection to compete with an online retailer that has absolutely everything like Amazon. Instant gratification is no longer enough of a draw to make someone change what they want to buy to an item that happens to be on the shelf.

I went in there two days ago to purchase Star Trek: Next Gen season 2 on Blu-Ray, they didn't have it. I walked out empty-handed. Another $70 of lost revenue.

They're goin' down.

11 of 17 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2013 9:59:39 AM
(0)
Master

Some real good points SJ, especially the one about the "brick-and-mortar stores" not being able to keep up with all the products online electronics retailers carry. And now that you mention it I wasn't able to find what I was looking for when I went to BB right before Christmas. My wife is a huge Rolling Stones fan and wanted to buy her the new "Grrr" 3-CD box set. While almost everybody was carrying it not Best Buy! And their selection of Blu-Ray movies kinds of reminds me of the big box/cages at Walmart full of old movies but only more expensive.

Actually my last 3 trips to Best Buy were for nothin' in their store. Couldn't find the CD set, then just stopped in to throw some used batteries in their recycling bin just inside the door, and then met a guy off of Craigslist in the back of their parking lot to buy a nice used Lincoln MIG welder w/supplies. No sense in even going in the store. LOL.

Amazon's my favorite online retailer and even opened a Prime account for $80 so I'd get free shipping quicker. Great customer service and most often free shipping back on returns where they email you a shipping label. I also download free books for my wife for her Kindle through Amazon.

It wouldn't bother me is Best Buy is goin' down either. :smileywink:

12 of 17 (436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2013 10:49:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Fry's Electronics also online price matches.  Sales folk, there, aren't too happy as it cuts their comission.  Don't worry, they make it up, though, walking around asking every customer if they want what is in their cart, entered in so they can "save time at checkoit."  Yeah, right.

13 of 17 (394 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2013 7:17:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Don't have a Fry's, have a Best Buy, would trade.  My experience is the same as y'alls: They almost never have what I want.

I like having at least one "technology" store around for those times when you need something NOW and you don't want to wait for it to be shipped (and can't afford the prices for overnight shipping).  We had a CompUSA, and that was the best store for that sort of thing: MotherBoards, RAM, video cards, you name it, they had it.  Even some Apple stuff.  

There's an outfit here called CDO which stocks mainly brown box parts, the components have a high failure rate (during a 3 month period I made 5 purchases, of them 3 went back for replacement during the 3 week return window).  Yeah, short warranty period, too.  And they charge more for taking your credit card.  I try to avoid dealing with them.

I did have to buy a Monitor when one died on me last month (one of my last CompUSA purchases).  Staples was out of stock on the $115 23" ACER LCD monitor.  I ended up in BestBuy and purchased a 20" Acer for $100.  I've gotten many good technology buys out of Staples, like a $100 Acer 23", a Epson Artison 730 for a net of $80 (both over a year ago).

Most purchases that I can plan ahead for are online orders.  Amazon and NewEgg have been my most frequent outlets.  Occasionally WalMart.com has a good price (bought my last Windows 7 license from them).

14 of 17 (376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 9:49:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Feb 22, 2013 at 9:49:54 AM

Went to BestBuy yesterday for a new phone case...what a joke!! I should have known to not waste my time 'cause they never have what I need. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. :smileytongue:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
15 of 17 (352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 10:56:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

JefferMC wrote:

Don't have a Fry's, have a Best Buy, would trade.  My experience is the same as y'alls: They almost never have what I want.

I like having at least one "technology" store around for those times when you need something NOW and you don't want to wait for it to be shipped (and can't afford the prices for overnight shipping).  We had a CompUSA, and that was the best store for that sort of thing: MotherBoards, RAM, video cards, you name it, they had it.  Even some Apple stuff.  

There's an outfit here called CDO which stocks mainly brown box parts, the components have a high failure rate (during a 3 month period I made 5 purchases, of them 3 went back for replacement during the 3 week return window).  Yeah, short warranty period, too.  And they charge more for taking your credit card.  I try to avoid dealing with them.

I did have to buy a Monitor when one died on me last month (one of my last CompUSA purchases).  Staples was out of stock on the $115 23" ACER LCD monitor.  I ended up in BestBuy and purchased a 20" Acer for $100.  I've gotten many good technology buys out of Staples, like a $100 Acer 23", a Epson Artison 730 for a net of $80 (both over a year ago).

Most purchases that I can plan ahead for are online orders.  Amazon and NewEgg have been my most frequent outlets.  Occasionally WalMart.com has a good price (bought my last Windows 7 license from them).

Jeffer: Fry's is like CompUSA X 5 + Best Buy X 3 and then some.  I feel for anyone who does not have a Fry's.

16 of 17 (336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2013 12:54:04 PM
(0)
Expert
Fry's has a large in-store inventory and low prices, so it seems like a great place, but just be careful when shopping there. Especially with computer parts, Fry's has an annoying tenancy to put returned items back on the shelf without them being clearly labeled as such, and without testing them to make sure nothing's wrong with the item. Even items that haven't been returned are sometimes not exactly in a factory-sealed box.

If you're buying a motherboard, hard drive, etc. from their computer parts department, dig way to the back of the shelf and find a box that hasn't been touched, that will give you the best chance of avoiding a non-working product.

17 of 17 (325 Views)