Posted Jan 25, 2013
11:17:17 PM
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #270

Guess I'll start one more....#270.  If the use of this lounge keeps sliding down hill I don't really see much sense in keeping WOTT going.

W0W we have been losing quite a few of our U-verse folks.....past CL's.  I blame the new set up of the forum.   Where is SPD and has anybody seen any posts from UNI?  Sure hate to see the U-verse community disintegrate.

Hope y'all that are left have a super weekend.  We are supposed to get rain.  I'll believe it when I feel and see it.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #270

34 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(34)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2013 5:43:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Hi, hpmsrm! We had a little snow here last night...and it is cold. I just thought I'd pop over here to see what was new, which I can see isn't anything much...not like it used to be. :smileysad: 

I have not seen SPD or Uni around, except for a post Uni made about the cable box. I was wondering the same thing. :smileyindifferent:

Have a nice weekend. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #270

2 of 35 (1,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2013 4:57:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Dcookie wrote:

Hi, hpmsrm! We had a little snow here last night...and it is cold. I just thought I'd pop over here to see what was new, which I can see isn't anything much...not like it used to be. :smileysad: 

I have not seen SPD or Uni around, except for a post Uni made about the cable box. I was wondering the same thing. :smileyindifferent:

Have a nice weekend. 

Snow? It was about 76 degrees today in Houston.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

3 of 35 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 26, 2013 8:06:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I'm in PA and yes, we have snow here in January. :smileyhappy:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

4 of 35 (1,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 27, 2013 9:28:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

Have a nice weekend. 

Snow? It was about 76 degrees today in Houston.

Brag, brag, brag.:smileywink:

I think we're heading down to Arlington the second week of February.  Got some good friends down there we want to visit.   Seemed like a good time of the year to go south for a break.   But then it warmed up here in the Kansas City area.  We had a high of 63 degrees here east of the city.  Now it's nearly 11:30 PM and it is still 59.3.   So I guess we got our January thaw.  Problem was.....nothing to thaw.  Practically no snow so far all winter.  We are now 20 inches of moisture below normal.  The drought continues.....bit time.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

5 of 35 (1,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2013 5:59:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

It's supposed to be in the upper 70's here in DFW area today and tomorrow.  Too bad I'm home with a sick 4yo now.  Took son to Dr. yesterday and now he has the flu.  Had a rough night last night and had a hard time breathing, but didn't want to take his meds. Finally got him down and wife slept in recliner in his room.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

6 of 35 (1,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2013 6:25:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Jan 28, 2013 at 6:25:42 AM

I have not had the flu thank goodness, but did get the Norovirus that is going around.  Bad stuff.  The first 24 hours are the worst, then gradually better as time goes on.  Took about 2 weeks for me to get back to normal.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

[ Edited ]
7 of 35 (1,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2013 10:43:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

BeeBeeSA wrote:

I have not had the flu thank goodness, but did get the Norovirus that is going around.  Bad stuff.  The first 24 hours are the worst, then gradually better as time goes on.  Took about 2 weeks for me to get back to normal.

Not the kind of flu, like oufan's son has been going through but I think that I had the Norovirus that you have had.  In fact, I think that I had two separate bouts.  Yecch!

8 of 35 (1,239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2013 12:45:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Jan 28, 2013 at 12:45:56 PM

Well well....check this out: http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/28/16739631-norovirus-why-washing-your-hands-isnt-enough?lit....  No wonder it seemed to take so long to get rid of.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

[ Edited ]
9 of 35 (1,218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2013 7:29:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

We've been very fortunate this winter......so far.  No illness.....at least not the kind caused by bacteria or viruses.  We got our flu shots in early November.

It is hard to believe but.....way up here in NW missouri we had a high temperature reading of 74.6 degrees today.   I guess we'd be calling it the January thaw.....if there was anything on the ground TO thaw.  Our rain only amounted to one or two tenths of an inch.

10 of 35 (1,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2013 7:33:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

hpmsrm wrote:

We've been very fortunate this winter......so far.  No illness.....at least not the kind caused by bacteria or viruses.  We got our flu shots in early November.

It is hard to believe but.....way up here in NW missouri we had a high temperature reading of 74.6 degrees today.   I guess we'd be calling it the January thaw.....if there was anything on the ground TO thaw.  Our rain only amounted to one or two tenths of an inch.

Is that normal for this time of year where you are?? We had some snow and ice here in NE PA..nothing like  they were predicting and yet they closed most of the schools. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

11 of 35 (1,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2013 4:29:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

We are already at 70 here in DFW this morning.  High is supposed to be around 75.  Cold front moving through tonight that is bringing thunderstorms along with it.  

Son had a better night sleeping last night and hopefully fever will break today.  Have him on tamiflu but it's been a real "treat" trying to get him to take it.  Luckily it's only every 12 hours and last night mixed it in with fruit punch gatorade and he did a lot better.  I can handle me or my wife being sick as we're adults.  A four year old.  breaks my heart that there really isn't anything I can do.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

12 of 35 (1,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2013 9:49:20 AM
(0)
Master

hpmsrm wrote:

Guess I'll start one more....#270.  If the use of this lounge keeps sliding down hill I don't really see much sense in keeping WOTT going.

W0W we have been losing quite a few of our U-verse folks.....past CL's.  I blame the new set up of the forum.   Where is SPD and has anybody seen any posts from UNI?  Sure hate to see the U-verse community disintegrate.

I'm still around Phil but have been taking somewhat of a hiatus. The kudo competition for referrals was getting to be too much and knew at the onset this change was going to be detrimental to the forum. And I still can't make a post to help a user one-on-one w/o getting walked all over by some long-term members ignoring everything I wrote and referring them to "AT&TCustomerCare". Guess that's life but it sure isn't a good forum life like it used to be. Just my opinion...

I'll be making a new thread in the Lounge about the demise of my Sony 60A3000 for optical block problems and Sony's replacement program. Sorry to see this great TV go and know you & SJ also have the same type type Sony set.

61 and sunny here. Nice! April type weather but it will be short-lived as winter rolls back in Thurs and daily high temps won't even reach freezing for about the next week. Stay safe for those who may face high winds as these fronts move across the country.

13 of 35 (1,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2013 11:23:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The only time I refer to Customer Care is when it's a billing or customer service related issue.

14 of 35 (1,087 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2013 11:41:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Myself also, or there already so upset no amount of advice will help and they want immediate results we on the forum can't offer.

15 of 35 (1,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2013 12:19:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Uniblurb3 wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:

I'm still around Phil but have been taking somewhat of a hiatus. The kudo competition for referrals was getting to be too much and knew at the onset this change was going to be detrimental to the forum. And I still can't make a post to help a user one-on-one w/o getting walked all over by some long-term members ignoring everything I wrote and referring them to "AT&TCustomerCare". Guess that's life but it sure isn't a good forum life like it used to be. Just my opinion...

I'll be making a new thread in the Lounge about the demise of my Sony 60A3000 for optical block problems and Sony's replacement program. Sorry to see this great TV go and know you & SJ also have the same type type Sony set.

61 and sunny here. Nice! April type weather but it will be short-lived as winter rolls back in Thurs and daily high temps won't even reach freezing for about the next week. Stay safe for those who may face high winds as these fronts move across the country.

I agree w/Uni.  Change doesn't always do us good.  Miss seeing your posts!

16 of 35 (1,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2013 12:57:18 PM
(0)
Master

Hey guys, please don't take offense and wasn't trying to make accusations. If referring to Customer Care helps the users solve their problems quicker believe that's a good thing. But if multiple referrals are in the same thread it just appears to be a little self-serving w/repeat referrals. Just saying things have changed and at least I'm not seeing the rain of kudos like it used to be when referring users to the forum managers.

Dave, maybe I'll try to visit the Lounge a little more since I did like the comradery we had and is most likely still there. :smileywink:

17 of 35 (1,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2013 3:39:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Ah..I understand exactly what you mean now Uni.

18 of 35 (1,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2013 4:10:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sorry, I had to stop and say Hi to Uni!! How are you?? 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

19 of 35 (1,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 29, 2013 4:13:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Hmmm.......I just took a very interesting survey about the DVR features and what AT&T might be thinking of adding.

1. Would you like more storage space
  2. If so would you be willing ot upgrade your package to get a larger drive
  3. Would you be willing to pay extra for a DVR with additioanl recording space
  4. Would you like the ability to connect an external drive Yes, Yes, Yes!!!
  5. What would be the reason for connecting the external drive....to take your shows with you to watch, more recording space, etc.

I liked this survey.  Maybe something is coming soon!!!!  I just listed the highlights.  Of course there were more questions about how many times a week do you use your DVR, what;s the average length of the show you record, etc.

20 of 35 (1,042 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013 4:39:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The only issue I have with that survey is the blatent money grab.  I'm sorry, when you have as many subs as any provider  normally does, requiring a higher package level or pay more for what is not new technology is pure greed.

DirectTV's new Genie is a $20/mo rental for the recievers to be able to view any of the recordings.  That can get expensive if you have more than one room you are installing tv in.

21 of 35 (1,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013 7:16:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yep OU when I answered I ticked the 'No" button on anything that required any changes to packages for additional recording space, added fees for additional space, and when it asked about the external hard drive I ticked that I would supply my own versus rent one from AT&T.

I am with you I think they were testing the waters to see if anyone would pay extra to have the extra recording space.  Not me!!:smileysurprised:

22 of 35 (997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013 9:09:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yeah, I do not like blatant money grabs either!   Anything to put their hand out.  Can you say Screen Pak?

Two non AT&T examples. 

Coca-Cola:

Coke recently phased out their 24 Ounce 6 packs bottles.  They only sell 16.9 ounce 6 packs now.  The reduction in size is 30% HOWEVER, the new, smaller six pack cost $3, where the 24 ounce 6 pack was selling for $3.70.  So it's a 19% savings.  Just a plain, good for nothing price increase!. 

Ticketmaster:

If you need to get your tickets in a hurry, you can print them out, yourself.  Yes it saves you time BUT it saves Ticketmaster money too.  It saves them postage, envelopes, printing materials, overhead and the time for a machine to print, decolate, bundle and stuff.  It saves them money but you have to pay extra for it.  What the?????

23 of 35 (984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013 9:15:23 AM
(0)
Master

Yeah, agree with both of you those surveys are nothing more than probing to see if you/customers are willing to pay more for upgrades. And I don't know why anyone would want to lease an external HDD when the price for purchasing them has dropped so much.

And as far as wanting the feature to connect an external HDD, sure I'd like it. But have to ask myself if I'd really use all this additional space? I was just upgraded to the 2250 DVR (500G) from the 1225 (250G) which doubled my recording space but find myself not going back and watching half the shows I recorded. Believe my wife does the same thing. But maybe others do tend to watch all the shows they recorded?

I just shutter at the thought of Directv. For existing customer the normal price of the HR34 Genie is $350, plus $50 install fee, plus a $20/month lease fee (as OUfan pointed out), plus you have to enter into a new 2-year contract every single time you upgrade a piece of equipment. Guess you can bargain w/them to get $100 off of the Genie but what a deal, NOT! Also I wouldn't have any DTV HD signal right now because were having storms and it's raining.

On the other hand I don't think I've ever seen where the U-verse reps were more willing to bargain/make a deal. As some of you may have read the thread in suggestions after 3-years of trying I was finally able to enter into a 1-year service agreement which knocked $55/month off of my bill. Of course this involved downgrading to U300 for a few months w/free HBO/Showtime, bundling Max12 HSI which I already have, and then upgrading back to U450. Still I'll take the $55/month off my bill any day!

PS. Hi DC, doing fine thanks, and yourself?

24 of 35 (985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013 12:18:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Glad to see you back Uni.

I had Direct and had to fight with them when I moved into an apartment that didn't have access to the southern sky just to keep from having to pay the ETF.  I understand why they charge them, but moving should be a legitimate reason for being able to cancel.

I know their add on fees are rather large.  Dish is just about as bad.

25 of 35 (965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013 12:22:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ok, this is a sad and funny article all in one.  My first car was a stick shift and I have had three other standards since then.

Carjacking gone wrong

26 of 35 (967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013 2:51:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

oufanindallas wrote:

Ok, this is a sad and funny article all in one.  My first car was a stick shift and I have had three other standards since then.

Carjacking gone wrong

@ OU..Hahahahaha!!!! That gave me a good laugh!! :smileytongue: Even I could drive a stick!!! Bought my first car, which was a stick, and I had NO clue how to drive it but I learned fast....AND I only burned out 1 clutch. :smileyvery-happy: I'd get another stick in a heartbeat! :smileyhappy:

@Uni...Hi there! Glad to see you back, as well.:smileyhappy:  Doing fine here as long as my power stays on...they're calling for some heavy rain and strong winds here but, so far, haven't seen too much of anything. Not too crazy about this warm 61 dregree weather in January...it's just NOT right.  

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

27 of 35 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013 4:54:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

My first car looked almost identical to the one in this picture, minus the famous stars of course.  My dad and I did a complete body off restoration and painted it this exact color.  Wish I still had that car today.

56_Drivers_Stars.jpg

28 of 35 (930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013 5:02:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@ OU...what year was that Chevy?? My dad had one that looked just like it but I remember it being an ugly yellowish green color, when I was a little kid. :smileytongue:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

29 of 35 (922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013 6:31:31 PM
(0)
Master

56 is it not OUfan? Nice year and much improved over the 55. My brother had a 57 Chevy and bought it already half souped-up. Had a 283 engine, racing cam and dual Holley 4-barrels (too much carburation). Was one of the first cars I worked on and we learned a harsh lesson. We rebuilt the engine in my friends basement and put it altogether. Don't ever put the heavy heads on a block, along w/all the other parts, and then try to carry it up a set of narrow basement stairs! LOL.

And speaking of working on cars, or should I say Jeeps, I just won't let die. A couple months ago I bought a used Lincoln 135T Mig welder off Craigslist in real good condition. It came with everything and more. Then I bought a new set of Smith torches and tanks. I didn't buy any small tanks, they're medium sized, and also bought a tank cart. I had no idea the tanks would be that expensive or might not jumped into buying this stuff. Also I should have looked at steel prices too since they're really high. Plan is to do some more fix-up on my Jeeps where on one the rocker panels are about rusted away as well as part of the uni-body. So have a new hobby in welding/metal work and unfortunately the weather isn't cooperating.

Hey DC, speaking of weather and funny you mention 61 degrees. That's the same as the peak wind gusts (61 mph) which just rolled through central Ohio as the cold front moved quickly through. Heading your way, moving fast, so stay safe.

30 of 35 (906 Views)