Posted Jan 17, 2013
10:32:23 PM
View profile
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #269

Well....with the downhill slide of the U-verse Lounge the WOTT has kind of lost it's popularity.  But I'll start one off anyway.  It's 12:11 AM CST on Friday, January 18, 2013.

I'm sitting here watching an episode of one of the new series called "America Unearthed".  This host is called a forensic geologist.  Right now he's reporting on this research into the evidence that the Mayans migrated north and east out of Mexico.  The evidence is in the 1,000 year old ruins of a city in NE Georgia....and it's pretty convincing.   A previous episode investigated the evidence of big time removal of copper from mines in the Great Lakes region by Europeans to supply the main ingredient for weapons and other metalware back during the Bronze Age.  I guess there was very little copper ore available in Europe.  It promises to be an interesting series.  It's on the H2 channel.....1257.

Hope y'all have a good week.  Stay warm.  We've got a big Artic surge of cold air coming out of  Canada.  Brrrrr.  I hate cold.  It gets to my lungs and bronchials and makes me cough a lot.

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #269

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 6:27:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I watched a couple of episodes the other day where he was in MN looking for evidence of Vikings in the 1300's.  Some evidence looked convincing as well such as the Kensington rune stone they found.  Unfortunately, that was all that they could find at that time.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #269

2 of 9 (625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 1:49:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Should Lance Armstrong send Manti Te'o a fruit basket or is it the other way around?

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

3 of 9 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2013 1:08:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

Should Lance Armstrong send Manti Te'o a fruit basket or is it the other way around?

I don't know.  But I will sure be glad when those two stories run their course and we don't have to listen to them over and over.  All the news channels are turning into the video equivalent of tabloids.

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking

4 of 9 (594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2013 5:58:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Jan 19, 2013 at 6:01:32 AM

That show sounds like something I'd like to watch! Looks "America Unearthed" is on the History Channel...I'll have to look for it. I usually never have the tv on but that would be worth watching.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2013 7:48:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

hpmsrm wrote:

americangame wrote:

I don't know.  But I will sure be glad when those two stories run their course and we don't have to listen to them over and over.  All the news channels are turning into the video equivalent of tabloids.

Personally, I think they're both fruit baskets.

6 of 9 (560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2013 6:08:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

My problem is not that Lance doped.  Everyone doped during that period which is why there is no winner for the 7 tours that he won.  It's that he claimed innocent for so long instead of just admitting it. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

7 of 9 (527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2013 9:47:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Jan 21, 2013 at 9:51:16 AM

Yep.  I agree with you, OFID.  And the most terrible part of it....in my thinking...is that athletic endeavors have become so important.....so over-emphasized in our lives and the obsession for excelling at all costs so accepted.  Just another symptom, in my opinion, of the gradual disintegration of our civilization...our humanity.  But...there it is...and there does not seem to be much anyone can do about it.

On another subject.....

Alfie.  You all know Alfie.  The little 4-footed character in my life who keeps me on the straight and narrow path.  Every morning....jumps down off our bed, goes and gets a drink of water and then returns to the bedroom and crawls under the bed where he can luxuriate in scratching his back on the slats.  Then he lies down under there and grumbles.  Not bark, not whine....just grumbles until I get up to get dressed and take him out for our morning walk.   Now, folks, it was 19 degrees above zero this morning.  The breeze out of the NW, with the 65% relative humidity, was really raw.  I'm freezing.  Alfie is full of it.  He loves the cold as long as the wind isn't too strong.  He scampers on ahead of me....waits until I pass and then, just before the leash stretches tight, he takes off again at top speed to get ahead of me.  Those little pauses are important.  Got to water the weeds and fence posts, etc.  Then the ritual deposit of fertilizer (which I always pick up because not every home owner appreciates the importance of fertilization to their yards) and we head on home for breakfast and to get warm again.   After filling our stomachs it's off to my easy recliner and my laptop for me to check the E-mail and a once-over of this forum.  For Alfie it's his morning communing with his friend, Dino.  Dino is a little red, stuffed dinosaur.  He wraps his front paws around Dino....sometimes holding it's head in his mouth and often nods off for a nap.  This morning I tried to capture this ritual moment with my new compact pocket camera and available light:

P1000531B.jpg

Welcome to my world of living with a West Highland White Terrier.  Oh, were it only possible that I could maintain such a positive outlook on everything as he does.  He's 13 yrs. old (or will be in a month) but you'd think he was still a puppy.  I've noticed, however, that the bursts of energy don't last quite as long these days.  But cold weather stirs the fire for a while and off he goes.  What a blessing he is in our lives.

[ Edited ]
8 of 9 (499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 3:58:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Very cute story and pic of Alfie, hpmsrm. Alfie is very photogenic and looks like he is WELL taken care of. :smileyhappy:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

9 of 9 (446 Views)