Posted Oct 25, 2012
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #260

Time to start a new WOTT.  Thing sure have been slow around here recently.  After a few days of warm temperatures we got our dead tomato plants pulled out of the ground....the cages and fence posts stored away for the winter.

I had to dig out the weed killer and go do some spot spraying.  The neighbors' yards on both sides of us are virtually weed gardens and they're trying to spread across the property lines into our yard.  Probably won't have to spray again until next spring.......I hope. 

Now the temperature is taking a dive.  We're down to 39.3 degrees at 12:35 AM.  Gonna be a chilly weekend.  Alfie loves it.  I can hardly keep up with him on our walks.

"I offered my opponents a deal: if they stop telling lies about me,
I will stop telling the truth about them".
~Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952..

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #260

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 26, 2012
(0)

I just wish I could have gotton my neighbor to mow their weeds!!  They get tall and start seeding and all it takes is a good wind and whoooosh the seeds are in my grass just waiting to germinate.  I fought with the weeds for so long I gave up and hired Tru Green to come out every 6 weeks and treat/fertilize.  Weeds gone albeit at my expense.

The owner just moved out 1 October and are now renting it.  The new tenant has already cut the yard twice so things might be looking up.  Has 2 smaller kids who I have seen playing in the yard where the owner had none so I don't think she cared if it was cut or looked nice. 

Speaking of the temp.......Left for work today it was 60 and now it's down to 48.  Didn't realize a cold front was blowing thru so I didn't bring a jacket.  Not good....... 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #260

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 26, 2012
(0)

Speaking of lawn care, for those of us down on the gulf coast, it's time for winter fertilizer, fungal control, and a preemergent weed control.

The preemergent that I use is Nitro-Phos Barricade, you can get it at Cornelius Nursery or Houston Garden Centers.

The fungal control I use (for brown patch prevention) is Spectracide Immunox for Lawns, although I've also used Bayer Advanced Fungus Control for Lawns.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 26, 2012
(0)

I believe all you listed above Tru Green is supposed to handle for me although in very early spring last year I did have "a" brown patch so I treated it with the Bayer Fungus Control.  Should have just called Tru Green to come out but it slipped my mind at the time. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 26, 2012
(0)

If I used a weed killer in my lawn, then I'd have mostly brown patches.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 26, 2012
(0)

JefferMC wrote:

If I used a weed killer in my lawn, then I'd have mostly brown patches.

:smileyvery-happy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2012
(0)

Hopefully only one more time to mow the lawn until next year.  Been using a lawn service since I don't have a lawn mower, yet.  Will be looking for one next weekend. Figure it's best to buy now while they aren't in demand.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 31, 2012
(0)

Well....tonight is "spook' night.   Hope the kids take all the candy 'cause we sure don't need it around here to tempt us.  We're both trying to lose some poundage.

Kitten in jack-o-lantern.gif

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!

"I offered my opponents a deal: if they stop telling lies about me,
I will stop telling the truth about them".
~Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952..