Posted Sep 21, 2012
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255

Good morning, and happy Friday all. Anyone got big plans for the weekend? Probably just hangin' here, doing yardwork.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012
(0)

Daughter coming home from college for the weekend.  Spending time with her and watching College Football.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #255

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012
(0)

Overly large and greasy lunch, followed by nap and then cocktails!

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012
(0)

docbombay wrote:

Overly large and greasy lunch, followed by nap and then cocktails!

docbombay

Is that "Doctors Orders"? Can I get a note for my wife?:smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012
(0)

Consider it called in to a bar and grill of your choice!  :smileywink:

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012
(0)

Peace....but not quiet....here this evening.  Usual roar and racket from the dirt race track about a mile away.  Every Friday night and some Saturday nights all summer long.  We can't use our patio on the N. side of the house.  All our windows and doors are double paned but we still have to put up with the noise.  If I had known that race track was there we would have never purchased this house.  But we bought it in the spring of 2006 and got the big surprise when the racing season started that year.  It means we have to turn our TV up a bit louder to hear what is being said....and we cannot open our windows to let fresh air into the house on these pleasant weekend evenings.

Our brand new VIP 2250 DVR pulled a funny yesterday.  Suddenly it just froze and the TV screen went blank.  The pilot light around the off/on switch was lit.  But nothing worked.  No response to the remote at all.....nor to the buttons on the front panel.  Could not change channels or do anything else via the remote or front panel buttons.  To reset it I had to unplug it from the power and then repower it.  When it reset and came back up....everything was fine.  Strange.  Never had THAT happen before.  The other two STB's were unaffected.  Things are never dull with U-verse.

I love to watch pro football.  But with a team like Kansas City has......well......let's just say that a lot of us have been considering urging the ownership to apply for membership in a flag football league.....or maybe little league.  Yeah....that's how bad it is.....really.
But they still have the nerve to come hit us taxpayers in this county for tax increases to pay for millions upon millions of dollars in upgrades and remodeling of the facilities and stadium where they play.  It's been going on for years.  We former fans should be used to it.

"I offered my opponents a deal: if they stop telling lies about me,
I will stop telling the truth about them".
~Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952..

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012
(0)

One problem I've discovered with my new digital pocket camera....it has a 14 megapixel sensor and I'm using the "fine" setting for the JPEG format.  The result is that it produces an image file size of approximately 5 MB.  I'm having real difficulty reducing size and increasing compression sufficiently to meet the 330 KB size limitation here on this forum.  But I did manage to grab a new "Alfie" photo out in the backyard.  The brilliant sunshine and his pure white coat are a real challenge for any camera....especially digital.  The result here will never be as sharp as the original because of the excessive compression necessary.

P1000075B.jpg

He is still so feisty and so "get-up-and-go" that it is difficult to realize that he is 12.5 yrs. old.  I can't keep up with him.  By the time we get home from our earkt morning walks I'm thoroughly out of breath and need to sit down and rest for a while.  But he won't stand for that because THEN he is ready for his breakfast.

I have a couple of other images I wanted to post but can't get them small enough.  They demonstrate the extreme range the photographer has when he's got a 24mm to 384mm focal length zoom lens at his disposal.  Maybe I'll put them over on Flickr and, if you're interested you can look at them there.

Hey OUFID.....Kansas Moo U kind of caught Oklahoma U. by surprise tonight methinks.  Don't worry.  O.U. can get even when they play K.U.   But just wait for basketball season.  K.U. RULES.:smileywink:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012
(0)

Great pic Phil.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012
(0)

Holy Cow!  After a lousy 1st half followed by an amazing 2nd half.....the K.C. Chiefs actually beat New Orleans 27 to 24 in overtime.  K.C.'s first win this season after two losses.

Thanks OFID.  Well....Alfie is a photogenic pooch....as are all Westies.  Their personality tends to show through.  Definitely an attitude.  But in our Westie world it is referred to as "Westitude".

By the way:  Here's the address for my Flickr

It's a project in development.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012
(0)

I think I watched a total of 20 minutes worth of football yesterday. Was such a nice and hot day I took my son to the pool and we spent about 3 1/2 hrs just having a blast. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2012
(0)

Speaking of football; I happened to watch the last half of Monday Night Football and what a mess! Guess maybe the scab officials may not be around much longer if this kind of thing happens.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/seahawks-stun-packers-one-craziest-most-controversia...

Real nice pic of Alfie, Phil! I'm impressed/envious of that Leica zoom lens you have. They really know how to make optics!

No motorcycle tracks around here but the shooting noise is getting hard to bear. Nothin' like a beautiful Sunday outside with Charlie and the blasting starts across the road while he runs/heads for the door. :smileysad:

Glad you had a good time with your young son at the pool OUfan. They grow up quick and the more time you spend with kids the better. :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2012
(0)

Personally, I'm wondering what the big deal is.  The union officials aren't so hot either.

If the strike goes on long enough, the replacements will have enough experience to be "just as good" (or bad) as the regular, union refs.

I'm tired of hearing the announcers go on and on about it.  Frankly, I'd like to get some replacement announcers?  Can the current crop go on strike?  Please???

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2012
(0)

JefferMC wrote:

Personally, I'm wondering what the big deal is.  The union officials aren't so hot either.

If the strike goes on long enough, the replacements will have enough experience to be "just as good" (or bad) as the regular, union refs.

I'm tired of hearing the announcers go on and on about it.  Frankly, I'd like to get some replacement announcers?  Can the current crop go on strike?  Please???

Amen!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2012
(0)

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Speaking of football; I happened to watch the last half of Monday Night Football and what a mess! Guess maybe the scab officials may not be around much longer if this kind of thing happens.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/seahawks-stun-packers-one-craziest-most-controversia...

Yup, even the governor of Wisconsin is liking the union now.:smileywink:

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2012
(0)

Computer-Joe wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Yup, even the governor of Wisconsin is liking the union now.:smileywink:

:smileyvery-happy:
When a governor likes a union, instead of trying to break them, you know the whole state has been wronged. :smileywink:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2012
(0)

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Real nice pic of Alfie, Phil! I'm impressed/envious of that Leica zoom lens you have. They really know how to make optics!

No motorcycle tracks around here but the shooting noise is getting hard to bear. Nothin' like a beautiful Sunday outside with Charlie and the blasting starts across the road while he runs/heads for the door. :smileysad:

Glad you had a good time with your young son at the pool OUfan. They grow up quick and the more time you spend with kids the better. :smileyhappy:

Yeah Uni, they grow up so fast, seems like just yesterday he was barely crawling.  Hard to believe he'll be 4 in Nov.  He loves going to the pool and since I love it myself I don't mind taking him.  It's not as close now that we are in our new house, but still not that far away and I have 3 to choose from, 1 has a splash park with it that he had a blast playing in.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2012
(0)

OK.....got the carpet steam cleaned yesterday.  Now my loving spouse has decided to re-arrange the living room furniture, etc. etc. etc.  Now I'm hot & sweaty.....short of breath....and have retired to the comfort of my recliner.  Had to move Alfie over.  When mom is making changes....he tends to get up on a chair and just watch.  She moved his living room bed (he has three) and I'm not sure he likes the new location very much.  Time will tell.  She put it behind her chair and he prefers to have it out where he can keep his eye on both of us.

One of y'all had mentioned recently that your computer boot times had slowed way down.  For several years I have used a program to occasionally clean my hard drives of junk....and otherwise no longer needed files.  I'm sure at least some of you are aware of it.  It's called CCleaner and can be downloaded free at CCleaner.com.  It is very customizeable....and one of the features you can check is "Wipe Free Space".  I had never used this feature before because it does take at least a couple or three hours to do its job.  But the other night, as I was shutting down to go to bed, I DID check it and then started the program.  Left the laptop running and I hit the sack.   In the morning I did a check of the HDD and I had actually picked up 6 gigabytes of available space.  Plus....now my WIN 7 laptop is booting up in about 1 1/2 minutes.  Actually it would be ready to use in about 60 seconds except for the SKYPE app. which seems to take extra time to turn on.  I use it so seldom that I should just turn it off .... except I do have a close friend down in Texas who does call on SKYPE every so often.

Anyway.....if your PC is booting up slowly and you're running low on HDD space....you might give CCleaner a try.  Disclaimer:  I have absolutely no financial interest in the company.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2012
(0)

hpmsrm wrote:

OK.....got the carpet steam cleaned yesterday.  Now my loving spouse has decided to re-arrange the living room furniture, etc. etc. etc.  Now I'm hot & sweaty.....short of breath....and have retired to the comfort of my recliner.  Had to move Alfie over.  When mom is making changes....he tends to get up on a chair and just watch.  She moved his living room bed (he has three) and I'm not sure he likes the new location very much.  Time will tell.  She put it behind her chair and he prefers to have it out where he can keep his eye on both of us.

One of y'all had mentioned recently that your computer boot times had slowed way down.  For several years I have used a program to occasionally clean my hard drives of junk....and otherwise no longer needed files.  I'm sure at least some of you are aware of it.  It's called CCleaner and can be downloaded free at CCleaner.com.  It is very customizeable....and one of the features you can check is "Wipe Free Space".  I had never used this feature before because it does take at least a couple or three hours to do its job.  But the other night, as I was shutting down to go to bed, I DID check it and then started the program.  Left the laptop running and I hit the sack.   In the morning I did a check of the HDD and I had actually picked up 6 gigabytes of available space.  Plus....now my WIN 7 laptop is booting up in about 1 1/2 minutes.  Actually it would be ready to use in about 60 seconds except for the SKYPE app. which seems to take extra time to turn on.  I use it so seldom that I should just turn it off .... except I do have a close friend down in Texas who does call on SKYPE every so often.

Anyway.....if your PC is booting up slowly and you're running low on HDD space....you might give CCleaner a try.  Disclaimer:  I have absolutely no financial interest in the company.

Only three?! Why you neglecting that poor animal?

That's besides yours, right?

PS  Been using CCleaner for years. Good program. Gets rid of those stinkin Index.dat files too.

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2012
(0)

There is a lot in the news and Social Media on the MNF play.  I will say that I did not watch the game but I have seen the play (along with every man, woman and child in the world).  I'm not sure how that can't be ruled a touchdown.  If I had not seen a play about 20 years ago, I would think that an interception would be the right ruling.  There was a MNF game about 15-20 years ago.  Not sure who played but one of the teams may have been the Colts.  At any rate, the team that I was rooting for made an apparent interception in the end zone.  The defender had both hands on the ball and all ten fingers on it.  As he was coming down, the intended receiver put a portion of one hand, like half of his palm and maybe 2 or 3 fingers on the ball.  The zebras conferred for a second and ruled it a touchdown and mentioned that when a defender and a WR share possession, it always is awarded to the receiver.  Same exact play as this past Monday night as Tate did have some of his hand(s) on the ball..

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2012
(0)

oufanindallas wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Yeah Uni, they grow up so fast, seems like just yesterday he was barely crawling.  Hard to believe he'll be 4 in Nov.  He loves going to the pool and since I love it myself I don't mind taking him.  It's not as close now that we are in our new house, but still not that far away and I have 3 to choose from, 1 has a splash park with it that he had a blast playing in.

Great age 4, OUfan, since they soak up everything going on around them and learn so quick! You're lucky you're in a warm state since all the pools close down here Labor Day.

I was going to post this awesome para-hawking video in the Bald Eagle thread but didn't since it's a Harris Hawk rather than an eagle. I've been to Torry Pines many times while visiting my daughter and they have a great nature center. Probably one of the most beautiful golf courses in the world but I wouldn't be able to golf there if I wanted to at $500 a round.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2012
(0)

dhascall wrote:

There is a lot in the news and Social Media on the MNF play.  I will say that I did not watch the game but I have seen the play (along with every man, woman and child in the world).  I'm not sure how that can't be ruled a touchdown.  If I had not seen a play about 20 years ago, I would think that an interception would be the right ruling.  There was a MNF game about 15-20 years ago.  Not sure who played but one of the teams may have been the Colts.  At any rate, the team that I was rooting for made an apparent interception in the end zone.  The defender had both hands on the ball and all ten fingers on it.  As he was coming down, the intended receiver put a portion of one hand, like half of his palm and maybe 2 or 3 fingers on the ball.  The zebras conferred for a second and ruled it a touchdown and mentioned that when a defender and a WR share possession, it always is awarded to the receiver.  Same exact play as this past Monday night as Tate did have some of his hand(s) on the ball..

Agreed, the rule is on shared possession, the receiver wins.  I cannot see how any zebra can rule what occurred shared possession if they were watching the whole play.  The defender got full possession of the ball while in the air.  The receiver placed one hand on the ball on the way down and got the other one on as/after they hit the ground.  If this type of ruling continues, there should be an awful lot fewer interceptions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2012
(0)

The resident pro football expert....my own true love....says that the real issue in that controversial call is not who had hold of the ball....the receiver...the defensive guy....or both....   The real issue is the blatant and VERY obvious offensive interference when the intended receiver obviously shoved a defender out of the way in order to clear his path to the spot where he grabbed for the ball.  In any event the amateur officials really blew the call and handed the win to the seahawks.  I shall not question her authority.....that's how I've stayed married to her for 56 yrs.Smiley winks.gif

Yes......the Alf has three beds. One doggy bed in the living room....another in our bedroom....and his travel kennel back in my den.  Those are where he snoozes while we are in any of these rooms.  OR.....also he sleeps with us in "our" bed and.....as is the case at this moment....he stretches out next to me in my recliner.  Yes.  He is spoiled terribly.....and ya know....I would not have it any other way.Alfie 2.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 27, 2012
(0)

hpmsrm wrote:

The resident pro football expert....my own true love....says that the real issue in that controversial call is not who had hold of the ball....the receiver...the defensive guy....or both....   The real issue is the blatant and VERY obvious offensive interference when the intended receiver obviously shoved a defender out of the way in order to clear his path to the spot where he grabbed for the ball.  In any event the amateur officials really blew the call and handed the win to the seahawks.  I shall not question her authority.....that's how I've stayed married to her for 56 yrs.Smiley winks.gif

Yes......the Alf has three beds. One doggy bed in the living room....another in our bedroom....and his travel kennel back in my den.  Those are where he snoozes while we are in any of these rooms.  OR.....also he sleeps with us in "our" bed and.....as is the case at this moment....he stretches out next to me in my recliner.  Yes.  He is spoiled terribly.....and ya know....I would not have it any other way.Alfie 2.jpg

I agree with the play as you called it. In the case of the reception/interception, it would be ruled a TD, however, the BLATENT offensive pass interference should have ruled the play null and void and the game over.  I will say one thing though, Seattle's D is looking pretty good, 8 sacks in the 1st half, that's more than some teams get in two games.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 27, 2012
(0)

Having only watched the replays, and those focused on the catch (or interception, however you want to term it), I can't speak to the Offensive Pass Interference non-call.

However, I did see such a non-call in a NCAA Division I football game without replacement refs, the announcers saw it, but the officials threw no flag.  The defensive player, freed from interference by the receiver he had just pushed down, was able to catch the pass for a touchback.  The play should have been reviewed, but apparently it wasn't.

It's just sad all over.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 27, 2012
(0)

Oh what a morning of fun I had today.  2 1/2 hours in that darn chair. 

P1000081B.jpg

This...after I had to get up at 5:00 AM when the smoke alarm in the living room started chirping to let me know the battery was weak.  I had changed that batter less than a month ago so there's something wrong with the alarm.  I bought a new one.  Anyway.....this alarm is located near the ceiling which is vaulted so had to go get the extension ladder out of the garage and set it up.....bang, bang, bang, clunk, clunk.  Then more noise when I put it away.  My wife asleep in our bedroom about 20 ft. away and she didn't hear a thing.  But Alfie was going nuts in sheer panic when he started hearing that chirping alarm.

By the way....I hand-held the camera myself for that shot....set on 24mm wide angle.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012
(0)

Moved to #256.

[ Edited ]