Posted Aug 24, 2012
3:49:27 AM
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #251

Well here it is, Friday again. Seems it was already light outside a couple weeks ago. Winter's on it's way.:smileysurprised:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
51 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(51)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012 5:29:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Hmmm... never had that problem with Picasa.  I tell it where the files are and it sees them there and does not move them.  I can organize them into albums that have nothing to do with where they're stored.  I'm sorry it didn't work for you, but as with TV providers if everyone could agree on what is best, we'd only need one.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #251

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012 6:15:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

BeeBeeSA wrote:

Our Sony takes great pictures as far as I'm concerned.  The only problem is when there is a short circuit between the ground and the camera. 

My wife used it Saturday at a birthday party and brought everything home all nice and neat in the case just as it left.  So I hook up the camera to my laptop to download the pictures as she wanted to send some to the folks that were there.  I downloaded them and everyone was so blurry you could make heads or tails of anything in the picture.  All 53 of them.  Well after further investigation it seems she hit the switch from AF to MF.......(Auto focus to manual focus). 

Blamed me for that since I was the last one to use it.:smileymad:  I have never put it on manual focus!!  No need to.  Anyway no point debating the fact so I just told her she was right and it was probably me..............It was all over then.  My fault or course.:smileyvery-happy:

Yup, it clears the air for the moment....  But women have a special part of their brains that store each and every time you were wrong for future reference and they never ever forget. :smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012 6:18:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
10-4 on that Joe.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012 1:18:55 PM
(0)
Expert

If momma ain't happy, nobody's happy, LOL!

Anyone here have someone in the possible path of Isaac?  I hope NOLA people do a total evac this time!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012 2:59:59 PM
(0)
Master

LOL BeeBee, and what a gentleman!

Also wish the best for those in the path of Issac. It will be interesting about the evacuations since I saw on the news where the Super Dome and some other large shelters are off limits.

Yeah, you can declare a state of emergency at the state/fed level, demand huge evacuations, bring in the National Guard, but whatever you do don't cancel the LSU vs North Texas football game on Sat! :smileysurprised:

-- Louisiana State University, which has its first home football game of the season against North Texas on Saturday, says it plans to play as scheduled but will monitor the effects of the storm.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/27/us/isaac-state-by-state/index.html

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012 6:03:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Texas A&M avoided their first loss of the season on Thursday against LA Tech due to Iaasac. Game has been rescheduled for Oct. 13.

On a different note, the jury sure got the verdict wrong in the Apple vs. Samsung case and will more than likely be overturned on appeals.   What's even more ironic in the whole situation is that Apple uses Samsung displays and processor chips in their iPhones and iPads. I think that the jury was in no way impartial and had already cleared Apple the winner before the trial even started.  In Korea, the case was found favorable in Samsung's way.  Seems the rest of the world isn't as enamored with Apple as the US is.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012 6:40:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes OFD.....I was thinking that I had read about that Korean court going the opposite way.  Well.....you all know what I think of Apple.   I suspect that there is some fault both ways.  Hopefully a truly balanced approach can be found.

It would have been nice if Isaac had not come along at all....threatening so many lives and hurting so many people, business and industries.  Heck....even us....our gas prices jumped about 20 cents in just a day or two.  Suspect it will keep going up.  On the positive side....the storm seems to have changed course slightly this evening and is taking a bit more westerly path.  If so he might come up into our area or at least closer to us and we would hopefully get the rain we need so badly.  That situation has happened many times in the past.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012 12:56:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

All of this talk about cameras is cool.  A digital SLR maybe a year or so out for me.  I missed going to Frys when they had a Pentax DSLR and two zoom lenses on clearance for $300. :smileysurprised:  Pentax may not be the DSLR leader but 1) that camera compared equally to an entry level Nikon and 2) I have four old Pentax K mount lenses, lol.

Scheduled to be in the Rockingham, / Cordova NC area the weekend after Labor Day.  maybe I'll run into Escapee, :smileywink:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012 3:12:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Aug 29, 2012 at 3:26:27 PM

Save your pennies, Dave......lots of 'em.

The Pentax is an excellent DSLR.  But....near as I can tell, with brief check, they are a bit pricey.  I looked at the company web site and at Best Buy's site and the K-30 model would set you back around $900 w/18 to 55mm lens.  The more professional leaning model is just over $1000 ....the K-5....body only. They've always made a quality product.  Used to use one back in film days on my job....but I've not laid my hands on one of their digital models.

Had to blow my little set-aside account getting the left-side tail light assemblies and the bumper replaced on our Camry (where the gal and I met in the grocery store parking lot).  Just got the car back yesterday.   Glad to be rid of that GMC Acadia SUV I rented to use while our car was in the hotpital.  I tell you....I could dang near hear the gas whooshing through the fuel line as I drove that horrible vehicle.  Only drive it about 40 miles and used a quarter of a tank of gas.  Last GM car I owned was a 1981 Buick Electra.  Literally a pile of junk.  Swore on my bible I'd never buy another GM product....and after driving that SUV for two days my opinion has not changed one bit.  Really poorly designed.  Example....  When I had the steering wheel adjusted to comfortable position for me it completely blocked my view of the speedometer.  Nice job GM.   I have no idea what that thing would cost but it was LOADED.  Including back seat TV and DVD player....rear door with power opener....rear a/c....rear camera with LED screen built into the mirror...and probably a zillion other features I didn't have time to find.  I'll bet that thing was a $45,000 to $55,000 car at retail.  But I wouldn't really have an idea about that so maybe I should not say.

Alfie is pawing my foot wanting to be fed his supper.  So I'd better get with it.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012 4:05:37 PM
(0)
Master

"Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion Sending 30 Trucks Full of 5-Cent Coins this morning.".

http://www.lematinal.com/mobile/technologie/18274-Samsung-Pays-Apple-1-Billion-Sending-30-Trucks-Ful...

An urban legend/hoax at it's best but good idea. Maybe 20 billion wooden nickels would be more appropriate! :smileyvery-happy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012 4:07:38 PM
(0)
Expert

:smileylol:

I don't think that fight is over...more fireworks will be coming, stay tuned!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012 4:39:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I agree.  A hoax message for sure.  But a funny one.  Last I read Samsung plans to appeal that judgement.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012 7:53:39 PM
(0)
Expert

What I was referring to in my post...fireworks!  :smileyvery-happy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012 8:35:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

All of this talk about cameras is cool.  A digital SLR maybe a year or so out for me.  I missed going to Frys when they had a Pentax DSLR and two zoom lenses on clearance for $300. :smileysurprised:  Pentax may not be the DSLR leader but 1) that camera compared equally to an entry level Nikon and 2) I have four old Pentax K mount lenses, lol.

Scheduled to be in the Rockingham, / Cordova NC area the weekend after Labor Day.  maybe I'll run into Escapee, :smileywink:

Too bad NASCAR Camping World Truck series has already raced there this year or you could have gone to see one of the great old tracks.

I already have tickets to the Nationwide race at Texas Motor Speedway for November.  Planning on getting season tickets with my father in law next year.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 30, 2012 6:34:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Too bad NASCAR Camping World Truck series has already raced there this year or you could have gone to see one of the great old tracks.

I already have tickets to the Nationwide race at Texas Motor Speedway for November.  Planning on getting season tickets with my father in law next year.

Reminds me of a "Crazy 8" race I saw at the county fair about 20 years ago where they were racing old trucks pulling old campers on a figure eight track. They did the same with old school busses a few years before that (not pulling campers though). Much more fun than the plain old demo-derbys. :smileyvery-happy:

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 30, 2012 10:29:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That opens the door for a lot more law suits.  I wonder what can be used to replace Android but is not patented by Apple?:smileysurprised:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 30, 2012 11:27:13 AM
(0)
Expert
The issue with Samsung's patent infringement isn't Android. It was Samsung's design of the phone's hardware, as well as some overlay software they put on top of Android that made the user interface look very similar to the iPhone.

Samsung is going to appeal the ruling anyway, so don't look for this to actually be settled any time soon.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 30, 2012 1:46:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SomeJoe7777 wrote:
The issue with Samsung's patent infringement isn't Android. It was Samsung's design of the phone's hardware, as well as some overlay software they put on top of Android that made the user interface look very similar to the iPhone.

Samsung is going to appeal the ruling anyway, so don't look for this to actually be settled any time soon.

I know it isn't.  But that lawsuit is the tip of the ice berg.  IMO

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 30, 2012 2:13:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

RCSMG wrote:

That opens the door for a lot more law suits.  I wonder what can be used to replace Android but is not patented by Apple?:smileysurprised:

MS Windows 8 (mobile version) perhaps?  Just speculating.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 30, 2012 2:33:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It will be interesting to see what and how things will be after all of this is done.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 30, 2012 5:13:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

What gets me is the ridiculous state of the patent laws, as Apple supposedly has a patent on "rounded corners" on devices.

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 30, 2012 5:58:57 PM
(0)
Expert

I've never understood how what they're trying to pull isn't considered anti-trust.  If this were MS, holy crap!