Posted Jun 1, 2012
12:35:06 AM
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #239

Start of a new month, and the year is almost half over!

Official beginning of hurricane season as well. :smileysad:

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #239

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 1, 2012 9:13:28 AM
(0)
Master

Hard to believe it's June 1st already. The last heat wave finally brought out the fireflies but not in full force yet.

I need to run to the plant store and get some flowers in the ground/tomato plants in pots. About 2 weeks behind since I've been working on my Jeep and hopefully it's fixed. Son's been griping at me because he bought my wife 50 Glad bulbs for Mother's Day and I've yet to plant them. Very few places around my yard to plant them since they need full sun. Why didn't he plant them as a present to Mom?? Maybe that's what I'll ask for on Father's Day! LOL. The huge Black Walnut trees around here sure didn't like that heat and dropped small marble sized green walnuts everywhere. Just what we need is too be walking/slipping on marbles!

The governor of Ohio just signed a statewide texting while driving ban law into effect today. We'll have to see how that goes and Ohio normally runs behind in what goes on in the rest of the country.

PS. I missed the last WOTT thread. Congrats on buying a new house OUfan and hope you're on the mend CJ!

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #239

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 1, 2012 12:18:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

spd,

already looking at building fort/play set when we move in and get our earnest money back. Will probably get an above ground pool as well while we save up for an inground pool.  The house is on a cul-de-sac and will only have 2 neighbors, one behind and one beside. Would have loved to have the yard next to us, it's a huge pie shape that's probably 120 across at it's widest and 120 deep.  Of course that came with a 40K lot premium.  Across the street is corp of engineers property so no houses to the west of us.  After 5 years of living in apartments I'm ready to move into my own space and ready to be able to throw the son outside and tell him to go play without having to watch out for the land mines from inconsiderate dog owners in the apartment complex we live in now.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 1, 2012 12:37:43 PM
(0)
Master

So OUfan, I never saw an answer to see if you're still going to be in U-verse territory? Regardless if you are/are not, are you having cable like cat/coax wired into the house walls since it's a new build?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 1, 2012 2:52:51 PM
(0)
Expert

How's Charlie doing?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 1, 2012 4:11:53 PM
(0)
Master

Charlie's doing real good, thanks! He's not limping at all on his left rear leg anymore and maybe the ACL injury was not as bad as we thought. He just had a vet appt yesterday and she was real impressed on his progress. Took him off the meds and now it's 2 more weeks of rest until he's good to go. I'm going to have to come up with a plan so when my son's Mastiff and Charlie start playing real rough he doesn't injury it again. Guess it's just the nature of the beast(s), literally! LOL.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 1, 2012 4:37:41 PM
(0)
Expert

Just tthought I'd bring the off-topic stuff from this thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Post-about-the-Hallmark-channel-here/m-p/3223693#M93888

into the off-topic thread. :smileyhappy:

Yowza. :smileyvery-happy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 1, 2012 8:01:08 PM
(0)
Employee

Phil-101 sure took the fun out of that topic.  Thanks Joe for providing the link. You guys were a hoot. lol

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 1, 2012 8:24:31 PM
(0)
Expert

She had her hair cut for the upcoming movie (Les Miserables) and is singing in it as well.  Did you see her full-frontal in Love and Other Drugs? :smileysurprised:

On another note--Marilyn Monroe would have been 86 today!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 1, 2012 9:28:06 PM
(0)
Expert

spd2demun wrote:

Did you see her full-frontal in Love and Other Drugs? :smileysurprised:

Bought the Blu-Ray the day it came out. :smileyvery-happy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 1, 2012 9:30:12 PM
(0)
Expert

:smileyvery-happy:  I figured!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2012 4:46:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Morning guys but I think I'll pass on this Off Topic Thread. Seems like it's for the MEN only!! :smileyvery-happy::smileywink:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2012 5:26:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Phil-101 on Jun 2, 2012 at 7:51:48 PM

Morning all.

Uni, according to the address finder on AT&T's web site it supposed to be available and there is an AT&T drop in the front yard.  Here's hoping.  As for wiring, we got it just before sheetrock has gone up on the walls so it's already been wired and to add just 3 drops was over $400 so I'll have to stick with coax for now.  Between my father-in-law and I we'll be able to wire it with Cat 5 for a whole lot less.

In respose to the other thread.  Gina Carano

[Inappropriate content removed]

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2012 9:06:50 AM
(0)
Master

Thanks for the cabling input on your new house OUfan. Yeah, don't blame you for DIY with a little help at those prices. I ran a lot of coax in this old house and a new house should be a whole lot easier. :smileywink:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2012 10:40:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Jun 2, 2012 at 11:20:53 AM

An absolutely fantastic Saturday here in metropolitan Grain Valley.  A cool night and now, during the noon hour, it's only 75 degrees and brilliant, blue sky.

It's been a bit since I last posted.  Busy week....and we have company coming next week.  Got my computer room cleaned out and we can move around safely in there again.  I have pulled out the 27" Sony WEGA CRT TV in there.  Holy cow....I had forgotten how heavy that thing is.  Not sure if another family member is going to take it or if it is going to Disabled American Vets......whoever will pick it up 'cause I ain't gonna lift that thing again.  Then I purchased a 32" Philips LCD/LED HDTV.  It's a so-called "smart" TV with both connectability to the Internet and Wi-Fi capability.  So it can access Netflix and Hulu....plus other services.  I haven't explored that part of it yet.  Also, it can become part of our home network and I can display images & other media on it off the PC hard drives......all wirelessly if desired....or via ethernet which is an optional method.  Interestingly, after I got the wireless Internet connection set up the TV set automatically performed a download update in its internal software.  That took about 10 minutes. Never had a TV before that would do that.  It was on sale for $328 at Wally world.  I shopped BB but that turned into a nightmare.  How that company has gone down hill.  Really sad.  But that's another story.  This set is a 720p but I think that is plenty of resolution for a 32" unit.  In fact it is very difficult to find a 1080p in these smaller screen sizes.  Not really worth the extra $100 that the higher res. units usually cost.

Alfie is finished with his pills and is all better.  No coughing and he's back to his old, playful self.  Long walks included.  BUT....and ain't there always a BUT......he still isn't back on his eating schedule.  It seems that I made the mistake of spiking his food with little things like cheese or even a touch of peanut butter to get him to eat while he was not feeling well.   Now I'm regretting THAT mistake because he walks over to his dish....sniffs at it....and then looks up at me with that "something is missing, dad" look in his eyes.  After the vet called the place where we had boarded him AND after I wrote an E-mail to their franchise headquarters....they paid the $76 vet bill.  We already have the check.  AND, they assured me that they had immediately initiated a disinfection of their entire facility.  When one dog comes down with kennel cough they can't afford the risk to 50-75 other dogs.

Congrats on the new home, OUF.  I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it.  As for going to all that work to install all new CAT 5 cable.......I don't really think it's worth it.  All the cable in our house is coax and everything works just fine.  Even the feed from the NID to the RG is coax......the full length of the house.  All the runs are independent with no splitters.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2012 6:43:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Congrats on the new home, OUF.  I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it.  As for going to all that work to install all new CAT 5 cable.......I don't really think it's worth it.  All the cable in our house is coax and everything works just fine.  Even the feed from the NID to the RG is coax......the full length of the house.  All the runs are independent with no splitters.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Only problem is, there aren't any kind of drops in two of the bedrooms and the study, so IF I'm going to do the wiring, might as well do CAT5 or both. depending on cost of cable and fittings.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2012 7:32:52 PM
(0)
Employee

It is nice to have both cat5 or 6 and coax. You may want to run a computer network separate from the TV in the future with tech not on the market now.  UT you might want to think about wiring connections for this new connected house concept where your frig and AC/ heat etc. are connected.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 3, 2012 6:50:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Escapee wrote:

It is nice to have both cat5 or 6 and coax. You may want to run a computer network separate from the TV in the future with tech not on the market now.  UT you might want to think about wiring connections for this new connected house concept where your frig and AC/ heat etc. are connected.

While I'm crawling around in the attic I'll probably add Cat 5 to the existing cable drops.  Since I'll already be up there.  The only thing is, the builder/electrian, seals all opening in the frame so I'll have to re-seal when I'm done.  Not a big deal, but it's nice to know how the house it being build.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 3, 2012 1:26:37 PM
(0)
Employee
In my moms last house I was trying to get a coax down to the tv on an inside wall. I could not get it to work until I realized they had put a board between the studs halfway down the wall to act as a fire break. that is one reason they may seal the holes. The other may be to keep hot or cold air out of those air spaces. This was years ago

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2012 9:10:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Normally I don't have serious problems with Win 7.  And....perhaps this isn't a major one either but it IS annoying.  No matter what I do....I am blocked from access to certain folders.   For example....on my desktop....working from that PC's keyboard, I am refused permission to access the "Document" folder.  I've tried resetting the "sharing" command and also the permissions but I'm not allowed to do that either.  I am setup as owner and administrator on all my PC's.  It is those moments....when I am trying to access a regularly used folder to get to a certain file but I'm frozen out....that I throw tantrums and swear at Microsoft.  That is not the only folder I can't access but it's the only one that I can remember at the moment.  There are so many twists and turns.....hidden panels and dead-ended passageways in Windows 7 it just becomes nearly impossible for a relatively ignorant user like me to negotiate through it.  GrrrrrrrrSmiley - Very Angry.gif  That is one really great thing about having my 1 Tb external HDD connected through the USB port on my router.  I never get locked out of anything on that drive no matter which PC on my home net I'm coming from.....because Windows is not involved.

Wow....big swing in temperatures here.  Our remote reading thermometer shows that we hit a high of 94.8 degrees on the north side of our house...in the shade....this afternoon.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2012 6:56:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

1. Please navigate to the target file/folder. 
2. Right-click on the file/folder and choose Properties. 
3. Click the "Security" tab and see if your current user is listed in the "Group or user names" list. If not, please click Edit-> Add button, type the name of your current user in the "Enter the object names to select " box, then click "OK" to add this group. 
4. Select the user from the list and then check the "Allow" checkbox next to "Full Control".
5. Click the Advanced button and click the "Owner" tab. Then, press "Edit" button. 
6. Select current user from the list and check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" checkbox. 
7. Click "OK" to save changes and wait for Windows 7 to transfer the ownership of all the objects on the partition. 
8. Click OK again to save changes and exit the Properties window.
9. Test the issue again.

Does it work?  You could also turn UAC off but I don't advise it.

Hope it helps.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2012 2:31:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

UAC makes Win 7 and Vista (IMO), its own worst enemy.  In fact, some antimalware / AV products tell you to disable it as it trys to stop AV scans.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2012 2:33:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Morning all.

Uni, according to the address finder on AT&T's web site it supposed to be available and there is an AT&T drop in the front yard.  Here's hoping.  As for wiring, we got it just before sheetrock has gone up on the walls so it's already been wired and to add just 3 drops was over $400 so I'll have to stick with coax for now.  Between my father-in-law and I we'll be able to wire it with Cat 5 for a whole lot less.

In respose to the other thread.  Gina Carano

[Inappropriate content removed]

I did not know Gina before reading this thread.  Thank you OUFan, AT&T and the Acadamy!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2012 3:54:18 PM
(0)
Expert
UAC in Vista was terrible ... it literally interrupted just about everything.

Microsoft improved it a lot in Win 7, it now only asks generally when appropriate.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 6, 2012 6:22:20 PM
(0)
Expert

I skipped Vista, but found Take Ownership to be just what I needed!

Glad 2 of our forum dogs are on the mend. :cathappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 6, 2012 10:25:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oz_1 wrote:

1. Please navigate to the target file/folder. 
2. Right-click on the file/folder and choose Properties. 
3. Click the "Security" tab and see if your current user is listed in the "Group or user names" list. If not, please click Edit-> Add button, type the name of your current user in the "Enter the object names to select " box, then click "OK" to add this group. 
4. Select the user from the list and then check the "Allow" checkbox next to "Full Control".
5. Click the Advanced button and click the "Owner" tab. Then, press "Edit" button. 
6. Select current user from the list and check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" checkbox. 
7. Click "OK" to save changes and wait for Windows 7 to transfer the ownership of all the objects on the partition. 
8. Click OK again to save changes and exit the Properties window.
9. Test the issue again.

Does it work?  You could also turn UAC off but I don't advise it.

Hope it helps.

Thanks OZ for the helpful suggestions.  Been busy on this end so haven't had time for a trouble shooting session.  I'll get back to you when I do.

Had to make a trip to Home Depot today.  I'll probably feel the results when I get up later this morning.  Had to hustle three 40 lb bags of top soil.....a 50 lb bag of peat moss and a few smaller bags of stuff my wife wanted for the yard into the car and then into the garage when I got home.   10 years ago it would not have phased me.  Heck I used to carry around 55 pounds of TV camera gear every day.  But the muscles are just not there anymore.