Posted May 17, 2012
10:52:55 PM
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #237

My, my.  Already another week gone by.  Here we are....12:20 AM on another Friday.

We've been kind of busy....so I haven't been on here much recently.  We moved in here 6 years ago.  Back in our computer room I pretty much just threw stuff on any convenient shelf or into any empty corner.  FINALLY....I'm getting around to cleaning it all out and putting things in some semblance of order.

Some of you will remember my 7 yr. long project of committing all our photos, slides and home movies to digital format.  Belatedly I realized that I did not have any 35 mm slides scanned and saved....after about 1983.  Of course I knew there were many photos taken during the years after that date.  But where the heck were they?   WELL.....today I opened a box (originally a box that contained a product from HeathKit) and what did I find but approximately 400 to 500 more slides waiting to be scanned and saved.  Yep....the dates fit right into that empty spot.  Thank goodness my Minolta slide scanner still works.

Sure hope Charly's leg can be fixed, Uni.  Poor pup.  Those are the situations I hate most.  When my little guy hurts and I can't do anything to give him any relief.  When Alfie feels badly he picks up his favorite ball in his mouth and paces the house endlessly, whimpering as he goes.  Fortunately it doesn't happen very often.  We were out of town this past weekend....attending a college graduation over near St. Louis.  So Alfie had to be boarded.  The place we took him has a play period every afternoon when dogs of similar sizes are put into the big play area for a half hour or so.  The girls told us that our normally playful Westie did not seem to be interested in getting involved.  He would sniff around and check out the area and then just kind of "hung out" and watched the other dogs romp.  Of course, he's 12 yrs. old AND I think, more importantly, that he was suffering from separation anxiety.  We rarely board him out when we travel....so it had been about 4 years since the last time.  Normally around us he is very playful with both humans and other dogs.

We are lucky with dentists.  We've been going to the same very nice fellow since 1985.  I don't mind the drilling or cleaning.  But, as I've grown older, it has become more and more painful for me to sit there and hold my mouth wide open for any length of time.  Pretty soon the muscles in my neck....below the jaw....begin to cramp.  Gee.  I must be getting old, huh?  He has given up the old x-ray film equipment and processing.  Now he uses x-ray digital imaging and everything is displayed, generously enlarged, on a TV screen.  A lot better than those tiny film x-ray images he used to have to peer at.

OK....I hope you all have a nice weekend.  I'll be getting back to the computer-room-cleaning job in the morning.  I'm throwing a bunch of stuff away.  Don't know anyone who needs a floppy disk drive do you?  Oh yeah then I also found my external Wi-Fi adapter and plug-in external modem for laptops.  Heck....today's laptops don't even have that (what'd they call it....PCMIA or something?) slot where I would plug those adapters in. Those features are all built-in now days.   And also an old video card with only128 mb of memory on it.  Into the trash they go.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #237

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 18, 2012 4:51:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Wow, Friday again. Where did the week go? No, seriously, where did it go, I had it here a few minutes ago.:smileyfrustrated:

Phil, shame on you. Those old components should not go in the trash. Please take them to your local recycler.

Touching on Uni and Charlie from the last WOTT. Hope charlie is doing better and does not need to go under the knife. It does seem like a heavy dosage for the Tramadol. I'm ~175lbs and my (50mg) dosage is 1-2 every 4 hours, but not more than 8 per day, which is supposed to be the max dosage before they tag you as a potential abuser, although sometimes I'll hit 10 on a bad day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #237

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 18, 2012 10:11:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Same thing with me, Phil.  The mouth can only take holding in one position for so long and the bone (?) under my eye starts throbbing.  Pretty soon my eye starts wattering and I get asked, "are you crying?"  I answer no but tell them about the aching and they say "why didn't you say something?"  Huh?!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 18, 2012 10:37:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

Same thing with me, Phil.  The mouth can only take holding in one position for so long and the bone (?) under my eye starts throbbing.  Pretty soon my eye starts wattering and I get asked, "are you crying?"  I answer no but tell them about the aching and they say "why didn't you say something?"  Huh?!

Should've said "no, I'm just  practicing for when I get the bill.":smileyvery-happy:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 19, 2012 12:19:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Good one C.J.     I'll remember that one for use during my next visit to the dentist's office.

RE the discarding of old electronic and computer parts.  The only collection point I know of right now is about a 70 mile round trip drive from where we live.  I think I'll check with our own county offices.  They often have special days where they will accept all kinds of stuff that should not be thrown into ordinary trash or dumped into the sewer system.  Fortunately I don't have much to dispose.

Holy cow!   I got an E-mail from Adobe.  The new CS-6 (AKA Creative Suite 6) bundle of programs (including the latest version of PhotoShop) is now available.  Way more than I could afford these days. (just paid my income taxes)    But the real innovation is their Creative Cloud.   Aimed at pros I presume.  Nothing to download I gather.  The photographer accesses PhotoShop (for example) in the Cloud.  The program is never actually downloaded into his PC.  All the parts of CS 6 are available this way and all updates and new additions are automatically made available by Adobe.  Sign up today.....it's only an annual contract at $50 per month.  That's $600 per year......and you never actually have possession of the software.  At the end of the year....if you don't renew for another year...your out of luck.  For professionals I can see an advantage.  I can also see how this might help in the war against software piracy.  But when I spend a bundle like that for a program I sure wouldn't want to be getting soaked again and again and again ad infinitum.  I've read about this sort of thing being pushed by some software companies.  But this is the first time I've had it actually pitched to me.

In the E-mail message there is no mention of the complete program being available for conventional sale.  Makes me wonder of this is the path Adobe has chosen to take.

Oh well.....I like my Paint Shop Photo Pro X4 just fine.  It does everything I need and then some.

EDIT:  Did a little more research.  Apparently the PhotoShop program is available by itself, via the CreativeCloud for $19.95 per month.  Not so bad if one doesn't need any of the features included in the rest of the creative suite.  And it appears that outright purchase is still possible but all I saw priced were upgrades for those who own earlier versions.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 20, 2012 12:13:04 PM
(0)
Expert

I'm not liking where software is headed with subscriptions.  The option is fine if you don't plan on using it all the time or you're not sure about purchasing (like how SJ does Realtime).  But not being able to purchase it outright is just greedy!

I love being able to download programs and pay online, in fact, I can't recall the last time I bought an actual disc!  I think Adobe is getting too big for their britches!  Maybe they're planning ahead for the dent in their product line, once HTML5 becomes the mainstream?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 20, 2012 2:31:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I think I read somewhere that Adobe is already discontinuing support of Flash.  But I'm not positive about that.  I do know that something needs to happen because as things are now my wife simply cannot read a fair share of E-mails we receive from friends and family on her iPad.  I had warned her ahead of time that would probably happen.  It doesn't always relate to pictures or videos either.  There appears to be some E-mail formats that won't display the body of the message on the Apple product.....even when it is just text only.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 20, 2012 6:40:14 PM
(0)
Employee

You might get Flash to work on your Mac equipment using the app iSwifter. I think it logs in remote to either your PC computer or the cloud. The once or twice I have used it it was slow. I am usually sitting withen reach of my laptop when using the iPad so I have not really used the app much.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 20, 2012 9:43:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Escapee is correct warning low battery and heat expected.  http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/07/how-to-view-flash-content-on-your-ipad

Adobe is abandoning Flash in the mobile arena and they need to overhaul it both Apple and Windows 8 have basically gone to full HTML5 support.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 21, 2012 6:56:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yup, Flash seems to be a gun Adobe is using in it's own little game of russian roulette, and they just popped another round in the chamber with this: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-03/29/adobe-wants-your-cash.

That being said, for Flash on iPad, you could try this: http://desktop.onlive.com/freesignup/tablet?autoplay=yes&gclid=CJHotPvDkbACFWaFQAod_T6mrg

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 21, 2012 2:44:48 PM
(0)
Employee

You have to pay $4.99 for the version of Onlive Desktop that runs Flash the free version does not support Flash unless you know of a work around.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 22, 2012 12:17:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I just had to post this!!  :smileyvery-happy:  Let's see how the Spurs handle the O.C. Thunder.  They have a good team.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 22, 2012 3:59:34 PM
(0)
Expert

At least you have a team that wins something. :smileysad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2012 6:42:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Speed I still have faith in our Astros.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2012 11:57:03 AM
(0)
Expert

:smileyvery-happy:  Good luck!

oz_1 wrote:

Speed I still have faith in our Astros.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 24, 2012 7:29:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Poor Alfie.  We had to board him out for two nights a couple of weeks ago while we went to St. Louis for a grandson's college graduation and dinner.  Yesterday.....after the usual 10 to 12 day incubation period Alfie came down with kennel cough.  Now he is getting a dose of cough medicine every 6 hours and some antibiotics to prevent complications.  Then we just wait it out.  It's caused by an airborne virus which is super contagious.  The Dr. called the boarding place and they called me to offer to pay the $76 vet bill and to assure me they are performing a complete disinfectant wash-down.  Wish they had done that before Alfie came to visit.  He turned his nose up at his breakfast AND his dinner.  After a while I just opened a small can of moist dog food and he ate that ok.  Got to keep some food in his intestinal tract so we are not awakened in the middle of the night by the roar and grind of his guts.   Should show improvement within another 48 hours I was told.

Alfie is current with all his vaccinations but "kennel cough" is pretty much a generic term which covers a whole list of respiratory infections.  Some of which they do not have any vaccinations available for.  1st time in 4 years that we've had to board him while we traveled somewhere.  He gets along OK with the other dogs during playtime but suffers from separation anxiety so he doesn't play much.....just kind of "hangs out" and watches the other dogs.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 24, 2012 7:35:08 PM
(0)
Employee

Bummer. Maybe keeping to himself kept it from being even worse.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 24, 2012 7:35:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sorry to hear about Alfie, I hope he recovers faster than the Vets expect.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 24, 2012 7:41:27 PM
(0)
Expert

Would be nice if you could find a pet sitter that you trust; that way he could stay home. :smileysad:  I recently read about a flu vaccine for dogs that has finally been proven safe.  Maybe that's just something down here?  It mentioned that it is strongly recommended for dogs who are boarded, go to dog parks, or just around other dogs.

Give Alfie get well wishes from TX. :smileywink: