Posted Apr 27, 2012
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #234

Friday is here again. Only one more day of work this week. All will be well this afternoon.  Let us know what is going on in your life be it funny, sad, interesting, or just boring. Everyone is welcome to make a post.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #234

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 27, 2012
(0)

Welcome to Friday, yourself, SKP.  Cool Friday here - we never got under the hot dome that caused temps to hit the 90's in Nebraska.

A week off from Roller Derby!  Yay!  Three straight weekends, including a road trip to SE Michigan.  I think that i forgot to mention that we saw the "world's largest tire," on I-94, SW of Dearborn. :smileywink:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #234

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 27, 2012
(0)

Don't Jaywalk.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 27, 2012
(0)

Not planning on visiting, but if I do, I'll stay on the sidewalks and cross walks.

[word filter avoidance]

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 27, 2012
(0)

Apparently that's how things are *run* over there now. :smileysad:

We have people here who will jaywalk on major highways...well, when you get hit, don't expect it to be the driver's fault!  You cannot be expected to watch for people popping out of nowhere instead of a crosswalk where they should be.  No sympathy from me!  And I'm talking about streets where the speed is 50+ mph!  They even try that crap on freeways at night!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 27, 2012
(0)

dhascall wrote:

Welcome to Friday, yourself, SKP.  Cool Friday here - we never got under the hot dome that caused temps to hit the 90's in Nebraska.

A week off from Roller Derby!  Yay!  Three straight weekends, including a road trip to SE Michigan.  I think that i forgot to mention that we saw the "world's largest tire," on I-94, SW of Dearborn. :smileywink:

Dave, that largest tire was a ferris wheel at the 1964/65 World's Fair in NY.  After the fair closed, the tire company bought it and moved it to it's present location.  If you could've looked closely, you'd see a strip in the middle circumference was a slightly different color, they filled in where the ferris wheel equipment had been removed.

From the last WOTT on your question about Michigan Lefts and Flashing arrows.  Mi Lefts let alot more cars go left by going right and U-turning.  Remember alot of cars can go on 'turn right on red' when clear and not on a red left turn lane light.

Flashing red left arrows technically requires a stop then go when clear, but due to many rear end accidents when the 1st car stops and the next is blowing thru the red arrow, the yellow left arrow has evolved.  Personally I don't stop for red left arrows, slow down and then go thru.  Done it many times right in front of cops and they don't do anything.  :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 27, 2012
(0)

I guess that explains why I've been honked at to GO at a red arrow left turn (no u-turn, regular intersection)!  Somebody from somewhere else thinks the traffic laws are the same!  Why we are armed here behind the wheel.

I witnessed a near fist-fight in Midtown last week--one guy in a Mini, another in a Yaris.  Mini deliberately left from behind me to be first in the right lane that ENDS and is plainly marked.  Guy ahead of me in Yaris gunned ahead on green (I would have done the same) and the Mini couldn't catch up to cut him off.

Mini nearly hits Yaris as he cut in, then Yaris tailgated Mini; a couple blocks up, Mini makes a hard right, then hard left and blocked Yaris coming straight at him.  Me, following Yaris with distance.  Mini straightened up, and took off, then we got a red light.  Yaris guy got out and had words with Mini guy; Mini shoots the peace sign, and takes off.  Neither of these guys were kids; Mini had white hair, other guy was probably 30-40.

It's like in LA where u-turns are legal and if you CAN'T u-turn, then it's posted.  Seeing more u-turning down here which is a disaster for people who are legally turning right on red.  And I'm talking about u-turning on a red light!

And don't even get me started on how many people here have NO license, insurance, or driver training for this country/state.  I used to love driving, now the way things are, it's just something I have to endure  to take care of business. :smileysad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 27, 2012
(0)

Glad to see some warm bodies on here again.  Last couple of days I was beginning to worry 'bout y'all.

Speaking of awful driving.  In this part of the country I think Oklahoma is the most dangerous place to drive.  A few years ago we were driving south thru that state on I-35.  I was driving the 75 mph limit but cars and SUV's were zipping past us at speeds that must have approached at least 90 mph.  We even had three cars racing each other and I think their speed came closer to 100.  Well....we stopped for lunch and a deputy sheriff was standing in line in front of me.  I asked him what the deal was with all the super speeding.  He replied that the governor of that state had drastically cut the budget for the highway patrol and all the troopers were doing was working accident.  No speed enforcement.  He remarked that if we looked closely we'd discover that most of the violators were licensed in state.  Out of staters did not know about the lack of troopers and most of them would be obeying the limits.

This afternoon my oldest son called me to unload.  He was returning from the car auction in Dallas...driving a 2002 Porsche Boxster.  He said that I-35 was a nightmare to drive on.  Speeding was rampant.....driving way over the limits.  He said that while he was passing a truck the speeders got backed up behind him and expressed their opinion of him with the obscene one hand gesture.  Keep in mind....he was actually driving a few mph over the limit at the time.   I sure hope he gets home safely.  I've expressed my dislike for Oklahoma in the past.  It's interesting to hear that not only have things not changed....they've gotten worse.  Traffic is awful on I-35 because of all the N-S 18 wheeler traffic from Mexico and Canada and my son said it was super busy this afternoon.

I chatted later with our Missouri state trooper neighbor and he told me that the dangerous increase in speeding has become epidemic.  13 years ago, when he joined the force, drivers were not nearly as arrogant as they are now.  While he is issuing a ticket to one driver his radar will detect dozens more whipping by him going over the limit.  He says tickets don't seem to do any good.  The most effective solution the Missouri troop has found is just to have plenty of plainly marked cars on the highways with maximum visibility.   We are gradually becoming a degenerate, lawless society.

Here in the Kansas City area homicides are on the rise.  One of my favorite sayings is "a murder a day, that's the Kansas City way."

"I offered my opponents a deal: if they stop telling lies about me,
I will stop telling the truth about them".
~Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952..

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 27, 2012
(0)

There was a guy killed running across the outerbelt here last week. Then the very next day I almost hit a guy walking up the edge of the ramp at almost the same location! I know a lot of these people don't drive, but come on!

A few years ago all the Ohio State Trooper's Crown Vic's where painted white instead of gray. Heck with trying to hide from speeders and they wanted to be visible to slow them down. Plus some of these gray Vic's were getting hit on the berm, where officers were killed/hurt, when people said they couldn't see them. Duh, what are people doing driving/swerving onto the berm to begin with??

On another note it's nice to see the bird migration is in full swing here. The Red-breasted Grosbeaks showed up at my feeder a couple days ago and hope they nest here as usual. Also nice to see the all the bright yellow male Goldfinches that overwinter here at my thistle feeder. But there's waay too many invasive House Sparrows and Purple finches around. I've noticed a marked decrease in the in the number of wrens around, especially the Carolina Wrens which nest on my porch every year. Saw a male House Sparrow harassing the pair and probably why they went elsewhere to nest. :smileysad:

My wife did see a Wild Turkey on our drive last week. Also my son saw a big gobbler close-up in the woods "strutin' his stuff". Nice. :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 28, 2012
(0)

dhascall wrote:

Don't Jaywalk.

At least he used his flashers when he pulled over to put the beatdown on that guy.:smileylol:

As for jaywalkers, people can be so ignorent. I see way too many so called "adults" jaywalking with toddlers in tow, with some not even holding the child's hand to ensure they don't run out, not only endangering the child, but teaching them bad habits to boot. I also see a lot of these "adults" riding bikes with their kids and just blowing through stop signs on the street or riding down the sidewalks and not stopping and walking their bikes through an intersection.

I saw one woman with a stroller and toddler with her, crossing a six lane by six lane highway intersection against the light, where there were no crossing light or crosswalks. What's worse is a cop was sitting front of the line at the red light, and just drove on when the light changed without batting an eye. I immediately drove to the police station to inform them of what I had witnessed (as unbelievable as it was), and their excuse was the officer might have been on his way to a call. To which I replied, if he was on his way to a call that was more important than the woman endangering her children right under his nose, he should have had his lights and siren on and blowing through the red light. I was then asked if I wanted to file a formal complaint, and I said, yes, without hesitation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 28, 2012
(0)
OK....new experience for me. Wife,s new iPad turned loose her iPad 1 so I'm playing with it. One annoyance...having to type hunt & peck style on darn virtual keyboard. I set up the feature which allows Uverse interactive connection. I discovered that to be able to control any STB or DVR the iPad MUST be connected directly to the RG Wi-Fi. Not through my separate wireless router. I do not know why that is. I turned the Wi-Fi in the RG back on and it worked great. Full remote capability with every STB in the house on our iPads. But, WHY...I ask. Great feature....of no real, practical use in my opinion. We both agree we would rather just use the regular remote. The functions are all identical. Tried to fix my worn out remote. THAT was a complete failure so I got on chat and a very nice fellow immediately ordered me a new one. Two business days delivery so it will be here Monday. Finished mowing yard today. Getting old enough, and lungs bad enough, that I have to split the task over 2 days. My wife helps out when her arthritis isn't bothering her too much. I spread some seed in a few small bare spots. Supposed to rain tomorrow & Monday. Hope the seeds germinate. We really need rain. Grass has stopped growing already and cracks are showing up in the ground. Hope y'all enjoy what's left of the weekend.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 29, 2012
(0)

hpmsrm wrote:

Glad to see some warm bodies on here again.  Last couple of days I was beginning to worry 'bout y'all.

Speaking of awful driving.  In this part of the country I think Oklahoma is the most dangerous place to drive.

Having lived in several states across this country and being from Oklahoma I will have to disagree with you.  Dallas has much worse driving than anyone in Oklahoma.  New England drivers are the absolute worse.  I hated driving in Boston.  South Carolina drivers don't know how to merge getting on interstates or major highways.  Speed I can handle, weaving in and out of traffic is what I don't like.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 29, 2012
(0)

oufanindallas wrote:

Having lived in several states across this country and being from Oklahoma I will have to disagree with you.  Dallas has much worse driving than anyone in Oklahoma.  New England drivers are the absolute worse.  I hated driving in Boston.  South Carolina drivers don't know how to merge getting on interstates or major highways.  Speed I can handle, weaving in and out of traffic is what I don't like.

Have driven in many cities. Boston, Chitown, DFW, Clevland, Indianapolis, Buffalo, LA, Nashville, Atlanta, and many others in between and beyond. The one thing I have learned, is there is an ample supply of people suffering from "brainicus absentia", no matter where you go, to make it hazardous for the rest of us.:smileymad:

Hey Phil, I hope your son pulled that Boxster over before he called you on the phone.:smileywink:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 29, 2012
(0)

Computer-Joe wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Have driven in many cities. Boston, Chitown, DFW, Clevland, Indianapolis, Buffalo, LA, Nashville, Atlanta, and many others in between and beyond. The one thing I have learned, is there is an ample supply of people suffering from "brainicus absentia", no matter where you go, to make it hazardous for the rest of us.:smileymad:

Hey Phil, I hope your son pulled that Boxster over before he called you on the phone.:smileywink:

He was just leaving a fast food place when he called me.  But, yeah, he was still talking to me when he got back out on the slab.  While we were talking 4 or 5 cars zoomed by him at a very high rate of speed.  Probably racing.  My wife and I witnessed that more than once during our last trip through Oklahoma on I-35.  On their Indian Nation Turnpike we noticed folks doing better at obeying the limits.  More cops along the route and we saw three different vehicles that had speeders pulled over.  But I-35 is a "race track" in that state and has been that way for quite a few years.  On our winter trip down to Texas....as soon as we crossed the state line into that state from OK, there were 4 Texas troopers operating a speed trap just on the south side of the line.  Naturally we have speeders here in Missouri and Kansas also.  But not like I've witnessed in the Sooner state.  I'm just talking about excessive speed here.  Crazy stunts are being pulled by brain-dead drivers in every state we've traveled in over the past 22 years.....coast to coast and border to border.....several times.  We've traveled in all 50 states now.

The son called me tonight.  His LG plasma 50" HD TV set won't turn on.  Suddenly seems to be completely power dead.  Everything else on that house circuit is working OK so I guess it IS the TV.  Only 4 months out of warranty.  He wants me to help him install a new power supply board.  I suggested we check the fuse first.  But, can you believe it?  The line fuse is inside the cabinet and the entire back has to be removed....a zillion screws....just to get to it.  Whatever happened to those little black fuse holders that used to be installed in on the back of the chassis of every piece of gear I have ever owned.  I guess I and my little VOM will have to make the 80 mi. round trip to help him out.  Tried to get him to go buy a VOM.  They're cheaper than dirt these days.....at least for the purpose he needs it for.  A new power supply board will cost him around $70 to $75 I think.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 30, 2012
(0)

Brand new remote arrived this afternoon via UPS from AT&T.  Speedy service.  It's one of the black ones.  Old one was one of the silver ones.  Don't know if there's an internal difference but exactly the same externally except for the "on demand" button which is now orange in color.  Works great.

I may use that chat function more in the future.  I had tried calling on phone but things were a mess.  Just could not get through.  Apparently an outage somewhere and I was instructed to leave number for a call-back.  On third try I got through to sales.  She said she would forward me to the person who could help me get a new remote.  Short wait.  Voice came on and heard my request.....then told me he'd like to help but he was with a company that had absolutely nothing to do with AT&T.  HUH????

So that's when I went to chat.....got an answer within just a few minutes and was finished in 15 minutes.  I recommend it if that is the way it always works.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 30, 2012
(0)

I think that's where they're heading; my last DVR no longer has the 2020 number on the sticker, but the site for TS!

Leo had his tooth checked today, and his sinuses.  All was well, but he's been doing shallow breathing since about 7P!  Not eating or drinking, feels very hot.  Why does this stuff happen after hours!

Anyone else ever seen this after a pet has been under with gas (not injection)?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 1, 2012
(0)

spd2demun wrote:

Leo had his tooth checked today, and his sinuses.  All was well, but he's been doing shallow breathing since about 7P!  Not eating or drinking, feels very hot.  Why does this stuff happen after hours!

Anyone else ever seen this after a pet has been under with gas (not injection)?

Oh no:smileysurprised:

Hope Leo is OK.:smileysad:

Not sure about cats, but I know if a person goes under general, your "disposal" systems have a tendancy to go "offline" temporarily. My last surgery, they kept telling me "You can not leave until you go".

Unfortunately, I could not perform on demand, so they cathed me. It still took a quart of hot prune juice and two days at home before things were back to normal.

This is from an article I found:http://cats.about.com/cs/anesthesia/a/understanding.htm

Potential Hazards by Drug Name

This list is not intended to instill fear nor to cause you to micromanage your veterinarian, and is by no means all-inclusive. Instead, use it as a guideline to ask questions. Your veterinarian will be glad to ease your mind about the type of anesthetic(s) he intends to use, and why.

• Barbiturates (pentobarbital, thiopental, thiamylal, methohexital)
    Potential for respiratory depression with excessive doses. Contraindicated in pregnant cats. Prolonged anesthetic recovery can also be a problem when barbiturates are used in older animals, obese animals (which require higher dosage), or other animals with compromised hepatic and renal function which decreases metabolism of the drugs.1 According to Oklahoma State University, pentobarbital is no longer used for anesthetic induction due to its prolonged rough recovery.
  • Ketamine
    Potential for depressed cardiac function; compromise respiratory function, including apnea (failure to breathe and/or sudden pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs) for cats with cardiac disease or severe debilitation. Contraindicated for cases of head trauma, or cats with kidney failure.
  • Propofol (sold as PropoFlo, Rapinovet, and Dipravan) Can cause apnea when inducted quickly, and overdosage can cause cardiac arrest, however ordinarily there are minimal effects on the cardiovascular system.
  • Acepromazine
    Because it is not an analgesic, acepromazine is usually used in conjunction with another sedative. It is contraindicated in animals with CNS (central nervous system) lesions, and can sometimes cause hypothermia.
  • Halothane (inhalant)
    Cardiopulmonary depresssion, and a risk of malignant hyperthermia in some breeds/strains.1
  • Isoflurane (inhalant)
    Respiratory depression and cardiovascular depression.1

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 1, 2012
(0)

Thanks for the response!  He did have the isoflurane gas, supposedly the safest.  Past vet used IMs and if something goes wrong, they can't bring them out (had a cat die that way after an operation). 

Stayed up til 3A and fell asleep, but off to Vet now.  Did get him to eat wet food for breakfast, and his breathing is still ragged.  I've had cats (and some dogs) all my life and never seen this before. :smileysad:  Leo just had this same procedure 3 mos. ago without any problems at home.

Your personal story...LOL, but know it wasn't fun to experience!

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 1, 2012
(0)

Bummer Spd. Hope Leo is OK and give him our best.

There's a huge disparity between people and pet surgery. With people only a trained anesthesiologists can administer an anesthetic to put you under while with pets any vet can do it. I'm sure this has to do with costs. The exceptions may be horses and large exotic animals.

With dogs/cats even interns and other staff can administer antithetics under the supervision of the vet. At the spay/neuter clinic I take our pets to for vacs I've seen where this isn't even close supervision since it's like an assembly line. Wouldn't even take our pets there but I can closely watch the vet administer the vaccines and a series for Charlie is $26 compared to $126 at our regular vet for the exact same meds.

Actually we've quit getting our cats vacinated yealy because it's so hard on them and the horror stories I've read about. But will do it every 3 years just to keep their rabies vacs up to date.

Wife and I gave Charlie a bath Sun and the big boy is looking/smelling real purty!

edit: meant to say some real good info to know CJ and thanks!

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 3, 2012
(0)

Back in the 1980's we had a Yorkshire Terrier....teacup size.  She weighed only 4 1/4 lbs. at her heaviest.  When she was 1 yr. old we had her spayed and the vet was quite concerned about the size of the dosage of the anesthetic.  He told me that with a dog that tiny he used only two or three drops of whatever he gave her.  I don't remember what it was.  He also mentioned that finding the ovaries on a dog that small was like looking for a couple of BB's in a pumpkin.  She came through it in fine shape and we enjoyed her company and comical antics for 14 years.

Next week Alfie will have his annual checkup and get his shots.  Even though three year rabies shots are available.....in Missouri he must have the rabies shot every year.  Seems silly since he is never allowed to run free in an unrestricted area so a chance encounter with a rabid animal is almost negligible.   He usually feels a bit under the weather for a day but loss of appetite is about the only symptom.  Then he's back to his old self.

[ Edited ]