Posted Jun 28, 2013
9:48:36 AM
WOTT 292

Welcome to Friday.

vint1000691_551840298190396_1589446154_n.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

WOTT 292

3 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 28, 2013 12:02:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Jun 28, 2013 at 12:05:52 PM

Oh so true, Dave.  Heck....I was 50 years old before I purchased my first computer because I was convinced that if we did not learn to use them....we would become effectively, the equivalent of nearly illiterate.  At least in my mind.  So this illustration really rings a bell for me.  Besides....just think of all the fun we would have missed out on.:smileyvery-happy:

That used computer I bought at a ham radio flea market was a glorious device....Commodore 64 with 64 KB of memory.....a 9" color monitor....and an outboard floppy disk drive.  Used single sided, 5 1/4" VERY FLOPPY blanks.  Then I added a Sears, dot-matrix printer and used a suite of software from some Canadian outfit to produce a 5 to 6 page newsletter every month for my ham radio club.  When I would run out of memory....a file would be saved....and then start on the next one.  The full document might occupy several files but the software would print it all as one document....attaching each text file to the one in front of it...even in mid-sentence.   It looked just like it might from one of today's PC's....just took longer....and I didn't have color printing capability.

One phone to the house when I was a kid.  Pop was an M.D. so my calls were limited to no longer than 10 minutes.   Oh the good old days.  Were they really "good".  Yep.  And simpler.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend and week to follow.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: WOTT 292

[ Edited ]
2 of 4 (301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 28, 2013 10:11:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Lol, Phil, I also did some good stuff on a Commodore 64.  I sent press releases and results for Anderson Speedway on one, much like you did.  Got my first PC in 1991 or so.  I do miss the simplicity, sometimes.

3 of 4 (274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 29, 2013 7:42:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Lol! Love the picture and HAVE to post that to FB! :smileywink:

I also remember the days of NO computers...but where would we be without them?? They have become THE source for any info that you need, nowadays. 

We used to have dialup when we got our first computer, just something that my brother built for us. I used to get so disgusted trying to do anything on the internet because it was SO slow, I was hardly ever on it!! I think I used it to make my greeting cards and that was about the extent of it. Lol! 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

4 of 4 (254 Views)