Posted Jul 11, 2014
7:17:46 PM
New forum design... WHY!?!?

First of all, this thing is the most Javascript heavy site I've ever seen and I use GMail's web mail interface as my primary gateway to my email.  1. This site.  2. Gmail

Second, why in God's name is this thing so width limited?  I have a 23-inch wide screen monitor and 60% of the space on the screen is wasted.  Can we please make these forums take up the full width of the user's horizonal browser space?

New forum design... WHY!?!?

32 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
Replies
(32)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 11, 2014 8:08:19 PM
(2)
ACE - Master

Because everyone is getting ready for tablets.  They don't care that how many desktop users there are, the tablet must be mollified.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: New forum design... WHY!?!?

2 of 33 (1,152 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2014 3:19:11 AM
(1)
ACE - Master

Not sure why, not really liking it though.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 33 (1,121 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2014 4:48:33 AM
(1)
ACE - Master
Edited by aviewer on Jul 12, 2014 at 5:48:26 AM

View profiletrparky

Add me to the petition. There was no reason to destroy the browser access to favor tablets.

There's an app for that. Or, there should be. That's what apps are for. They should have made an app instead of detracting from the browser. It must be because the browser is more universal & the app more device specific. Too much to accomplish.

Are you aware that you can mitigate via this link - http://forums.att.com/t5/forums/recentpostspage/category-id/attuverse/post-type/message

And, fill the screen with command/+ for Mac & a similar keystroke for PC. Also, I zoom control/mouse scroll. My avatar shows the old version on my 50 inch screen & I pasted the new one below. Not as good, but usable.

Screen Shot 2014-07-12 at 7.40.44 AM.png

[ Edited ]
4 of 33 (1,114 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 13, 2014 3:10:59 AM
(2)
ACE - Master

@trparky - I think that Lithium sold AT&T an upgrade, aka a bill of goods. AT&T bought it, of course.  I'm betting that it was above the pay grades of the moderators on the forum.  It still blows that it was rammed down the users (all levels) throat's.

5 of 33 (1,061 Views)
(4)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 13, 2014 9:15:28 AM
(4)
Guru

Well, whatever this is it's useless.  It's confusing as heck to browse and navigate.

Someone said that this is built for tablets.  OK, then make a separate interface for tablets and base it upon the User Agent string of the browser.  And if you really want to make people have a more easy to use mobile interface, integrate Tapatalk and be done.

I've not seen something as useless as this "forum" is.  And I put the word "forum" in quotations because this is not a forum, this is some kind of... God, I don't know what I can call it because it's not a forum platform in the traditional sense.

6 of 33 (1,038 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 13, 2014 9:17:49 AM
(1)
Guru

Where's the breadcrumbs to get me back to where I was, the sub-forum in which this post lives.  Oh wait, I have to press the "Explore" button?  Who the heck decided that was a good idea?

7 of 33 (1,037 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 14, 2014 1:16:18 PM
(2)
Tutor

I'll add my "agree" in here also! I HATE it!  What the heck is wrong with forums being the "old" ways??  That's what a FORUM is for....for people to easily find what they areissues similar to what they are experiencing and reply or help others.  I now can't find ANYTHING and doubt I will be back. 

-Rhonda

8 of 33 (1,003 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 14, 2014 2:50:11 PM
(1)
Scholar
Edited by wmtheel on Jul 14, 2014 at 7:12:23 PM

Why the change?  The other site was simple to navigate.  The change is absolutely a cluster of superfluous confusion!   Actually, the changes have made me less interested in plowing throught he maze to find something of interest.

[ Edited ]
9 of 33 (978 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2014 7:56:18 AM
(1)
Scholar

I would agree this change is horrible.  I can no longer easily tell which posts I have already reviewed.  I tried the view someone has shared that puts all posts in a list view, but it repeats the topic for every post in it.  

This was a terrible change and makes the forums much more difficult to use.  So sad.  

10 of 33 (946 Views)
(3)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2014 1:11:58 PM
(3)
ACE - Guru

I don't like this layout at all either :smileysad:. It makes everything a little too overly complicated that used to be simple.

11 of 33 (925 Views)
(4)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2014 1:20:01 PM
(4)
Tutor

This is the ugliest forum that I had ever seen in the past 15 years.

12 of 33 (921 Views)
(3)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2014 8:49:24 PM
(3)
Scholar

Please go back to the way it was!  Do not like this new format at all!!!!!!  Very difficult navigating now.

13 of 33 (890 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2014 8:58:09 PM
(2)
ACE - Master

Amen brother. 

The ACES had a chance to check it out before it was introduced to the general public and EVERYONE told them it was horrible, difficult and a real pain.  Unfortunately, no one listened and they rammed it through anyway.

So much for market research.

14 of 33 (888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2014 10:52:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Rainlei wrote:

This is the ugliest forum that I had ever seen in the past 15 years.

Must never have gone to the get social website, it was almost as bad as this one.  Had to get a link from Moregan to see the unanswered threads, otherwise it was just as bad as this one. :smileymad:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

15 of 33 (866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2014 10:55:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

trparky wrote:

First of all, this thing is the most Javascript heavy site I've ever seen and I use GMail's web mail interface as my primary gateway to my email.  1. This site.  2. Gmail

Second, why in God's name is this thing so width limited?  I have a 23-inch wide screen monitor and 60% of the space on the screen is wasted.  Can we please make these forums take up the full width of the user's horizonal browser space?

Can't you Ctrl + to make it fill the screen, it came to me full width when it changed as FF already had the setting for the same website. :smileysurprised:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

16 of 33 (864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2014 2:22:09 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hi everyone, we truly appreciate all your feedback and we're actively working on many improvements for future releases.

Thanks again!

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

17 of 33 (723 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 24, 2014 5:10:29 AM
(1)
ACE - Master

FIX IT!

18 of 33 (707 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 24, 2014 6:19:52 AM
(2)
ACE - Guru

dhascall wrote:

@trparky - I think that Lithium sold AT&T an upgrade, aka a bill of goods. AT&T bought it, of course.  I'm betting that it was above the pay grades of the moderators on the forum.  It still blows that it was rammed down the users (all levels) throat's.

Go to Lithium's own message board and you can see it's running the same new platform as this one but is 10,000 times better. AT&T severly gimped the new board in favor of "Community focus" as they have been putting it, but all it really has done so far is highlight people complaing on the entrance. That's not somehting you want customers to see when they first arrive.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

19 of 33 (681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 24, 2014 11:43:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Go to Lithium's own message board and you can see it's running the same new platform as this one but is 10,000 times better. AT&T severly gimped the new board in favor of "Community focus" as they have been putting it, but all it really has done so far is highlight people complaing on the entrance. That's not somehting you want customers to see when they first arrive.

Yeah we have been told that the call on this implementation was 100% AT&T's.  AND that is why I have zero faith in U-Verse's potential in regards to Mediaroom being purchased by Ericsson.   AT&T uses a "highly customized" version of Mediaroom.  So they can make it as robust or not, as they want.  My guess it will be the latter. :smileysad:

20 of 33 (658 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 24, 2014 12:10:35 PM
(1)
Scholar

Just put it back the way it was. No fix or new features required.

21 of 33 (646 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 24, 2014 12:46:25 PM
(1)
Mentor

This is just plain BAD.

22 of 33 (641 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 24, 2014 4:29:44 PM
(1)
Guru
Edited by trparky on Jul 24, 2014 at 4:30:39 PM

I wonder how much AT&T paid for this piece of crap.  God, I've seen vBulletin and Invision Power Board powered forums run better than this piece of crap.  Heck, even phpBB and SimpleMachines are better than this thing and both of them are free (and open source no less)

[ Edited ]
23 of 33 (613 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 25, 2014 5:43:20 PM
(2)
ACE - Guru

I know why

look who is running the ship

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!

24 of 33 (566 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 27, 2014 9:13:47 PM
(1)
Scholar
Edited by RobertWillis on Jul 27, 2014 at 9:20:50 PM

TERRIBLE DESIGN !!!!!

Please go back to the previous verison.

[ Edited ]
25 of 33 (493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 28, 2014 11:26:54 AM
(0)
Mentor

Put my 2 cents in, this forum is horrible.  I cant even see the dates posted it says oct 7 and 0182 on all the posts.  I think the 'upgrade' was to effectively hide all the most egregious complaints people make here.  Just go back to the way it was while you are looking for ways to fix it.  Standard forum formats work fine everywhere else, why not here?

That is not a rhetorical question, by the way.

26 of 33 (469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 29, 2014 10:33:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

little birdy wrote:

Put my 2 cents in, this forum is horrible.  I cant even see the dates posted it says oct 7 and 0182 on all the posts.  I think the 'upgrade' was to effectively hide all the most egregious complaints people make here.  Just go back to the way it was while you are looking for ways to fix it.  Standard forum formats work fine everywhere else, why not here?

Yeah I really don't know what the motivation was.  There does seem to be a drop off in new complaints / posts so could be.  I'm sure Lithium (the forum software provider) probably forced them into buying the newest version, under a contractual clause and then AT&T just went nuts.  Trust me, no one is trying to throw the moderators under the bus as the decision to implement! implement! implement! was probably above their pay grade but everyone was warned and no one listened.

27 of 33 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 29, 2014 11:39:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

little birdy wrote:

Really? When I go to the main page, I see at least 5 complaints front and center on the entracne page. Maybe it's different if I'm not logged in.

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

28 of 33 (438 Views)
(3)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 29, 2014 11:54:06 AM
(3)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

little birdy wrote:

Really? When I go to the main page, I see at least 5 complaints front and center on the entracne page. Maybe it's different if I'm not logged in.

Part of it might be a maturation of the U-Verse product but there used to be triple that, in recent months.  AND is that 5 new complaints showing just under U-Verse, which encompasses billing, U-Verse, Wireless and so on.  IMO, the forums are dead.  They died abouit a month ago.

Back in the day (2010?), there may be 60 new posts/day in the "Billing" section, alone.

29 of 33 (434 Views)
(3)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 30, 2014 7:54:45 AM
(3)
Tutor

Yeah, I just logged in to create a post and I'm totally mixed up.

Not liking the new design/format at all.

30 of 33 (382 Views)