Posted Feb 25, 2013
7:43:56 AM
NASCAR Time for GEN 7 Car
After yesterdays hype for a fantastic race with better racing NASCAR better get moving on a Gen7 car because Gen 6 ain't no better than the cars it was supposed to replace. As for the broadcast, Darrel Waltrip sure has a thing for the ponytail princess that it made me sick when they did show racing, 3 laps and a commercial, 3 more laps and 5 more commercial.

NASCAR Time for GEN 7 Car

145 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(145)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2013 10:35:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

gmsuv wrote:
After yesterdays hype for a fantastic race with better racing NASCAR better get moving on a Gen7 car because Gen 6 ain't no better than the cars it was supposed to replace. As for the broadcast, Darrel Waltrip sure has a thing for the ponytail princess that it made me sick when they did show racing, 3 laps and a commercial, 3 more laps and 5 more commercial.

If you are a long time NASCAR fan, the race was the way it used to be before the COT.  Part of the problem is the tires didn't give up any during the race, give it a couple of years at Daytona for the track to age. A better example of racing should be at the next few tracks.  Having the commercials is the only issue I had with the race yesterday.  Here is a break down of how much race time and commercial time happened during the race.  

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: NASCAR Time for GEN 7 Car

2 of 146 (1,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2013 10:43:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

DVR baby!!  I let the race get about 1.5 hours in and started watching!!  I too thought it was fairly boring for 498 laps.........Looking  forward to Phoenix though.  Should be better action.

For Daytona and Talladega they need to give the drivers a "boost button" to add some power kind of like the Formula One cars have.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 146 (1,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2013 11:54:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yup, the Cup race was pretty bad.  I'm not sure if it's even the tires and the track.  I think it's the aero package plus the size of the restrictor plate.  Most drivers simply couldn't get the oomph, to pass.  Back in the 70's, one car could slingshot around another.  Now it takes at least 2 to make it work (except for maybe 14 and 29).  Plus, if the cars had more power, the bottom would be faster.

Except for the last lap of the Nationwide race, the trucks and NW put on a much better show.  In fact, I miss the two car tandem in Cup.  The way that the NW cars ran it, with small radiators was nice.  Push for a lap or two, then switch.

Most of my race car drivin' friends on Facebook are howling for a return tio short tracks for Cup but that won't be happening.

4 of 146 (994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2013 3:55:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I think another thing they did was over advertise this new car.  Yep it's looks good but all I heard was how fast it was and how good it handled so we will see some spectacular racing!!  Not.......We'll see how they do on the 1 and 1.5 tracks.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

5 of 146 (975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2013 6:07:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The problem with tracks like Daytona/Talledaga the networks rarely show the racing in the back of the pack, most drivers realize these days though to win the Daytona 500 you have to be there at the end and most will are just content to ride along for 490 miles or so.  I don't miss the two car tandem from a couple of years ago.  I do agree about the size of the restrictor plates.  I think the car is just fine as it is though. Maybe some minor tweaks, but at least now it actually looks more like a car you can buy rather than a box with an emblem on it.  I also wish we had more short tracks like the old days at the Rock and Hickory. N. Wilkesboro.  They can get rid of Pocono, Chicago, California, bring a 2nd race back to Atlanta and Darlington. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

6 of 146 (971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2013 7:56:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

The problem with tracks like Daytona/Talledaga the networks rarely show the racing in the back of the pack, most drivers realize these days though to win the Daytona 500 you have to be there at the end and most will are just content to ride along for 490 miles or so.  I don't miss the two car tandem from a couple of years ago.  I do agree about the size of the restrictor plates.  I think the car is just fine as it is though. Maybe some minor tweaks, but at least now it actually looks more like a car you can buy rather than a box with an emblem on it.  I also wish we had more short tracks like the old days at the Rock and Hickory. N. Wilkesboro.  They can get rid of Pocono, Chicago, California, bring a 2nd race back to Atlanta and Darlington. 

Oh don't get rid of Pocono!  That is one track that I look forward to seeing races at each year.  That is a driver's track as the three corners were built in homage to the most storied tracks at that time, Trenton (Turn one), Indy (Tunnel turn) and the Milwaukee Mile (Turn 3).  I recall you from other threads not liking Pocono.  For years, Pocono trailed only Daytona and Talladega in lead changes.  Maybe you don't like lead changes, :smileywink:

Seriously, Atlanta and Darlington are lucky to keep their single races as "rival" Bruton Smith owns those tracks.  Conversely, Chicago, Kansas and California will probably stay at two races a year as they owned by ISC, an offshoot of NASCAR.  Politics is bigger than the racing, unfortunately.

7 of 146 (955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2013 7:40:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Oh don't get rid of Pocono!  That is one track that I look forward to seeing races at each year.  That is a driver's track as the three corners were built in homage to the most storied tracks at that time, Trenton (Turn one), Indy (Tunnel turn) and the Milwaukee Mile (Turn 3).  I recall you from other threads not liking Pocono.  For years, Pocono trailed only Daytona and Talladega in lead changes.  Maybe you don't like lead changes, :smileywink:

Seriously, Atlanta and Darlington are lucky to keep their single races as "rival" Bruton Smith owns those tracks.  Conversely, Chicago, Kansas and California will probably stay at two races a year as they owned by ISC, an offshoot of NASCAR.  Politics is bigger than the racing, unfortunately.

I really don't remember seeing that many lead changes at Pocono, I know it's a challenge to the crew chiefs and drivers with 3 distinct corners, but to me it's a boring race.  They can keep 1 and keep it at 400 miles or less and it's tolerable.  I'm tired of the cookie cutter tracks.  I think we should have more road courses as well and now that the trucks are going to Eldora this year maybe we can see the Cup go there in the future.  Can you imagine back to dirt track raing. Wouldn't that be awesome. I think we need more road courses as well. Would love to see the Cup series at the new track in Austin.  That would be a heck of a race.

8 of 146 (942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2013 4:43:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Feb 27, 2013 at 4:45:30 AM

Some folks actually view Pocono as a road course or a "roval."  Back in the 80's, in one particular year between the two races at Daytona, Dega and Pocono, Dega had 68 lead changes, Daytona 62 and Pocono 56.  With the COT (Gen 5) and the car before that, lead changes have been down, everywhere. 

You may get your wish about more Road Courses as the manufacturers are begging NASCAR for more.  I want to see the Cup cars at Laguna Seca, myself!

Dirt track, for Cup.   Yeah it would have been cool.  I really thought that NASCAR would have done one in 1999 for the 50th anniversary.  It probably won't happen now, for Cup.  The races would have to be 300 laps, at least.  How often would you have to throw the red for the water trucks to come out?  Lol.  ARCA runs a couple 100 lappers at Springfield and DuQuoin, each year.  They used to run at the Indiana State Fair, also.  The big mile tracks seem nice but after the track dries out and you can see what looks like asphalt (it's actually rubber), it turns into a snoozer, with single file racing.

Heck, if Cup can race on dirt, let 'em do a Figure-8, like at Indy's Speedrome.  Look at the action from 3:35 to 3:55:

[ Edited ]
9 of 146 (922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2013 10:51:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Those guys that race the Figure 8's are C R A Z Y !!!.  there were so pretty close calls.  

I used to watch F1 while I was stationed in Italy and got hooked, don't watch as much now, but still try to catch a race when I can.  One of the managers in my office went to the inagural race in Austin and said it was a great time and a great race.  The Aussie Super V-8's are starting this year as well as the super bikes.  SCCA is supposed to start racing there next year, now we just need NASCAR to start.  It's a big 3.47 mile track that would be awesome with 43 cars on the track, I don't think the pit area would accomodate it though and some changes would have to be made.  I'd drive the 3 hours to Austin to go watch that race in person.

10 of 146 (909 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2013 12:06:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Aren't you going to the Australian V8 Super Car race?  Would love to see them on the road course at Indy

11 of 146 (906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2013 1:24:19 PM
(0)
Mentor
You call what we saw Sunday at Daytona racing? I see better racing on I-45 heading into Houston during rush hour. Put a chrome bumper on the front, remove the restrictor plate, take off the rear spoiler, and "LET'S GO RAC'IN BOYS".

12 of 146 (896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2013 7:19:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes that was racing old school style.  The drivers are still figuring out what they can and cannot do with the car and again, don't change the car based on Daytona,  the drivers all know that to win Daytona, you have to be there at the end and most drivers are not going to take too many chances early in the race. I've seen the cars practice at Texas Motor Speedway and let me tell you, even though there were only 10 cars on the track they put on a heck of a show.

D, I may try to get down to Austin for the Aussie V8 cars, not sure if it will be this year or not. They have signed a 5 or 6 year deal to race here so if I don't get down there this year maybe next year.  Ticket prices aren't that bad for the other races, F1, that's a different story.

13 of 146 (886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2013 6:17:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'm with suv......let the boys (and girl) run wide open!:smileysurprised:  Their big boys......put the peddle to the metal and let 'um roll!!:smileysurprised:

14 of 146 (873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2013 11:42:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

BeeBeeSA wrote:

I'm with suv......let the boys (and girl) run wide open!:smileysurprised:  Their big boys......put the peddle to the metal and let 'um roll!!:smileysurprised:

The announcer at Anderson Speedway, before qualifying, would say "Roll 'em out (Roll 'em over)." :smileyvery-happy:

15 of 146 (860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 3, 2013 6:08:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Good race today. Jr led a lot of laps and if not for being blocked during his last pit stop probably would have gotten out in front of Edwards and had a great shot at winning.  The dude from the Office was a great Grand Marshall and got the crowd involved.  This is not a golf tournament, ARE YOU READY?!?!

On to Vegas next week which should be a different race after they reconfigured the track and now the new car.  Definately like this better than watching a car crab walk down the straight aways.

16 of 146 (857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 3, 2013 6:49:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Good race today. Jr led a lot of laps and if not for being blocked during his last pit stop probably would have gotten out in front of Edwards and had a great shot at winning.  The dude from the Office was a great Grand Marshall and got the crowd involved.  This is not a golf tournament, ARE YOU READY?!?!

On to Vegas next week which should be a different race after they reconfigured the track and now the new car.  Definately like this better than watching a car crab walk down the straight aways.

I normally watch races, these days on DVR, FF through the green flag runs.  The racing wasn't bad but it wasn't good, either.  Kahne got back in the pack and never could race out.  Hamlin said that the passing has to be better and he may be right - not every track has a wide apron that you can run like he did, on the final lap.

Spoiler
I'm happy for Edwards.

I also think that the side of the car could be a danger spot as Gilliland about flipped, driving down Danica's side.  That may have to be watched, as a potential launching ramp.

17 of 146 (850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013 3:59:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I thought there was quite a bit of passing in that race.  Jr. proved that passing could be done, so did Ky Busch before he wrecked himself.  Shoot Hamlin started 42 so the new car has lot's of positives.  Phoenix has never been a favorite track of mine, but it was one of the better races in a long time at that track.  Looking foward to next week.  Not an Edwards fan, but it was nice to see him get a win in the Subway car with the big wigs from Subway in attendance.  My father in law have our favorite drives, mine is Jr, his is Gordon and we both will agree, if neither of them win, as long as it's ABK, (anyone but Kyle) we're ok with the winner.

18 of 146 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013 4:31:49 AM
(0)
Mentor

Still looked like last week to me, 3 laps and a bunch of commercials, very few sIde by side shots, and Darrel and the boys talking about the ponytail princess being such a fantastic driver.

19 of 146 (829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013 7:15:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Commercial Breakdown of the 2013 Subway Fresh Fit 500: For those of you NASCAR fans that like stats and love to hate commercials, here is the breakdown for Sunday's race. Began recording the times at the Invocation of the race at 3:02 PM, and stopped at the waving of the checkered flag at 6:23 PM (all times are EST). Fox was the broadcast team for this event.
Total number of commercials: 108
Total number of companies or entities advertised: 55
Number of traditional commercials (not split-screen): 102
Number of 'Side-by-Side' commercials during race broadcast (split-screen): 6
Total number of companies or entities advertised: 5
Number of times Fox utilized 'Side-by-Side' commercials during this broadcast: 2
Total number of brief promos of products/services during the race broadcast: 32 
Total amount of time these brief promos take during broadcast: app. 4 min. 55 sec.
Start time to record race/commercial periods: 3:02 PM
End time to record race/commercial periods: 6:23 PM
Total minutes of complete race broadcast: 201
Minutes of race broadcast: 154
Minutes of traditional commercials (not split-screen): 47
Minutes of 'Side-by-Side' commercials (split-screen): 4
Number of missed restarts: 0
Number of 'mystery cautions' (debris not shown): 0 
Total race brdcst time 154 Total comm. brdcst time 47

Who's the "ponytail Princess?"

20 of 146 (814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013 8:38:04 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by gmsuv on Mar 4, 2013 at 8:38:32 AM

Who is thhe pony tai princess?

DANICA

[ Edited ]
21 of 146 (803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013 9:19:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Mar 4, 2013 at 9:20:45 AM

gmsuv wrote:

Who is thhe pony tai princess?

DANICA

She does spend lots of time, in interviews, fixing her ponytail.

OUFan: Indeed there were a few guys who started in the back and they moved up nicely but I knew that passing would be tough when they said how much faster that Kahne and Johnson were than Martin and they weren't closing in, on him.  Vegas could be a spread out, snoozer.

[ Edited ]
22 of 146 (792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013 9:26:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

oufanindallas wrote:

Commercial Breakdown of the 2013 Subway Fresh Fit 500: For those of you NASCAR fans that like stats and love to hate commercials, here is the breakdown for Sunday's race. Began recording the times at the Invocation of the race at 3:02 PM, and stopped at the waving of the checkered flag at 6:23 PM (all times are EST). Fox was the broadcast team for this event.
Total number of commercials: 108
Number of traditional commercials (not split-screen): 102
Number of 'Side-by-Side' commercials during race broadcast (split-screen): 6
Total number of companies or entities advertised: 5
Number of times Fox utilized 'Side-by-Side' commercials during this broadcast: 2
Total number of brief promos of products/services during the race broadcast: 32 
Total amount of time these brief promos take during broadcast: app. 4 min. 55 sec.
Start time to record race/commercial periods: 3:02 PM
End time to record race/commercial periods: 6:23 PM
Total minutes of complete race broadcast: 201
Minutes of race broadcast: 154
Minutes of traditional commercials (not split-screen): 47
Minutes of 'Side-by-Side' commercials (split-screen): 4
Number of missed restarts: 0
Number of 'mystery cautions' (debris not shown): 0 
Total race brdcst time 154 Total comm. brdcst time 47

Who's the "ponytail Princess?"

They should add another stat "How many times Danica says "uh" during an interview."  Drives me crazy!!

23 of 146 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013 10:14:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I just want to see her do well - or move over.  There are at least a dozen more deserving drivers of her 10 car.  As one local sportscaster said, "one win, in eight years."

24 of 146 (776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013 11:40:02 AM
(0)
Expert
I'll make the argument that for her specifically, the wins (or podium finishes) don't matter very much, or at least matter less than for other drivers.

She is on the cusp of giving all the race viewers a "moment" in history. Sooner or later, her, or another female, will win a NASCAR race. People want to be there and see it when it happens, and that's why they're watching. People want to see her succeed and conquer what is thought to be one of the last bastions of a male-dominated profession.

She won only one race in IndyCar, but throughout the years she was there, she was always on a top team. So will it be with NASCAR, because wins or no wins, she puts people in the seats, commercials on the TV, and sponsor stickers on the car. And that's enough.

25 of 146 (763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013 11:46:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well said, SJ.

I, myself, don't think that she's that attractive but apparently. many men (and maybe some women) do.  I just hope that Johanna Long gets the kind of shot, that she got, in similar Nationwide cars.

Danica never won in Indy Lights but the following year, Katherine Legge won three times.  Unfortuantely, her claim to fame was trying to knock the bridge down at Road America.  We'll see how DP does - she did well at Daytona.

26 of 146 (759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013 11:58:30 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have been to many INDYCAR races where Danica was not even in the mix.  Her off track performance, refushing to sign autographs in the garage area, and having a hissyfit when things were not going her way will eventually show up in NASCAR also.   By the way the only race she won was in INDYCAR at a race in Japan when almost all the the entries either crashed or had a mechanical failure.

27 of 146 (751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013 1:34:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I thought you were referring to Kyle Petty at first.  :smileyvery-happy:

I think given time Danica will be fine.  She's been in the hunt at several Indy car races, has shown improvement in Nationwide and cup races.  She's still a rookie that drives better than some of the "seasoned" drivers out there.  I'd like to see her succeed.  She wasn't spectacular yesterday but had worked her way from 40th up to 22nd before her tire blew and she wrecked.  As for her past Indy cars, they have not been that great and the team didn't have the same power as other teams, even the vets on that team just couldn't get the speed they needed so she did what she could with the equipment she had.

I think Joanna Long can do well given time.  The problem is that sponsors today want instant gratification before they spend money on a relative no name driver they would rather see someone who is going to be a draw.  Until GoDaddy decides they no longer want to sponsor Danica, or until she quits she is going to be here because she can. 

28 of 146 (746 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2013 6:00:32 PM
(0)
Expert

gmsuv wrote:

By the way the only race she won was in INDYCAR at a race in Japan when almost all the the entries either crashed or had a mechanical failure.

My question to you to defend that argument is: How does that diminish her win?

Racing is won by being at the finish line when the checkered flag drops.  She met that requirement, thus she won.  The particulars are immaterial.

If you don't believe me, consider this: Andre Agassi won the 2003 Austrailian Open at the age of 33 (very old, by world-class tennis standards), against a 27-year old opponent.  How did he do that?  I'll tell you.  He didn't do it by hitting winners.  He did it by not making errors.  His opponent double-faulted, he didn't.  His opponent hit backhands out, he didn't.  Trophy.

At Twin Ring Motegi in 2008, Danica didn't wreck, her opponents did.  She didn't run out of gas, her opponents did.  The fact of the matter is that she overcame the obstacles that stopped everyone else from being at the finish line when the checkered flag dropped.  Trophy.

Sorry, but the win isn't diminished just because some of the superstars weren't on the track at the end.  On that day, they weren't superstars.  That's why you race the race.  If the only measure you care about is the "best" driver, then why even hold the race?  Just give the trophy to the pole position winner after the time trials and don't bother.

You don't call the NFL season over once the 6 teams are seeded for the playoffs by giving the Lombardi trophy to the #1 seed and not bothering with the Super Bowl.  So what if you're the #1 seed?  You have to close the deal and win 3 more games.  Same with racing.  You can't call the race over just because you're the fastest car on the track or you're leading at the halfway point.  You want the trophy, you have to close the deal.  Danica's opponents didn't, she did.  1st place, case closed.

29 of 146 (722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 5, 2013 4:08:37 AM
(0)
Mentor

Well running all those years for AndrettiAuto Sports, a top funded team, and only comming up with 1 win, be it by default, does not make her a top tier driver.  The only reason she is running in the NASCAR series is NASCAR needs her because their series iis on a the decline.  Fewer dollars, few sponsorships, and a serious decline in attendance.

30 of 146 (686 Views)