turtleman7055's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, December 21st, 2014 3:49 PM

Marathon

Does ATT U-Verse not understand the principle of marathons?

For example: Doctor Who.

I used the search and pulled up all the episodes that start at 7am on Wednesday Christmas Eve running through 11pm January 3.

I selected the first one as a series.

You get 3 choices:

Any day at 07:00AM

Any day, any time (it actually says anytime on the screen, one word, not two)

Any day, any time, once per day

I chose Any day, any time.

It records that one, then about 8 down it records another one, then about 20 down it records another one, and so on. If you come back and try to record another "series" to fill in the gaps, it records the one you selcted, and no more. In order to get the whole marathon you end up with 200 single episode "series." OR you can go through and record each one, one at a time. This is very time consuming.

What's the problem with selecting the first episode of a marathon, telling it to record every instance of that show, and getting the whole marathon?

I have talked to ATT techs till I'm blue in the face. They don't understand what I mean by you can't record every episode. They start trying to "teach" me how to use my record button. Or they just flatly do not understand what the word marathon means.

I hope one of them sees this and responds.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

@turtleman7055 wrote:

Does ATT U-Verse not understand the principle of marathons?

For example: Doctor Who.

I used the search and pulled up all the episodes that start at 7am on Wednesday Christmas Eve running through 11pm January 3.

I selected the first one as a series.

You get 3 choices:

Any day at 07:00AM

Any day, any time (it actually says anytime on the screen, one word, not two)

Any day, any time, once per day

I chose Any day, any time.

It records that one, then about 8 down it records another one, then about 20 down it records another one, and so on. If you come back and try to record another "series" to fill in the gaps, it records the one you selcted, and no more. In order to get the whole marathon you end up with 200 single episode "series." OR you can go through and record each one, one at a time. This is very time consuming.

What's the problem with selecting the first episode of a marathon, telling it to record every instance of that show, and getting the whole marathon?

I have talked to ATT techs till I'm blue in the face. They don't understand what I mean by you can't record every episode. They start trying to "teach" me how to use my record button. Or they just flatly do not understand what the word marathon means.

I hope one of them sees this and responds.

Record each one manually.  The Comcast DVR did not understand the concept of Marathons either.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

9 years ago

I will say that the TiVO that I have works well for this.  My son loves his Teen Titans and right now has abot 90 shows recorded.  I'm wondering if there is a way to have the output of the STB from UV feed into the input of a TiVO and record that way.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Well, one fortunate bit of news from this is, I now know better than to switch to Comcast. Thank you for that.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I checked out the TiVO. I'm pretty sure that would work. The problem I have with TiVO is, I have to pay a monthly fee for it. After we buy the machine we have to pay a monthly fee. We're already paying a monthly fee for the TV service. This country has turned into The Land of the Fee and the Home of the Rate.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

The BEST solution would be for TV services to learn what marathons are (among other things I didn't mention, yet) and/or fix their equipment.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

@turtleman7055-

RE: I'm pretty sure that would work. Depends on how you define "work"

You do know that the TIVO uses a digital tuner that cannot "tune" U-verse IP signals??

I guess you can use it to record shows being played on a u-verse STB. Seems like you could set it up to record all day. Based on the STB playing all day. But, the STB will shut down if it does not receive any IR signals.

This is an awkward work around & no substitute for a "marathon" selection for efficiernt recording on u-verse.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

9 years ago

@turtleman7055 wrote:
I checked out the TiVO. I'm pretty sure that would work. The problem I have with TiVO is, I have to pay a monthly fee for it. After we buy the machine we have to pay a monthly fee. We're already paying a monthly fee for the TV service. This country has turned into The Land of the Fee and the Home of the Rate.

As it was once told to me, you're paying TiVO for the guide information to be downloaded into the TiVO box. I believe they used to have a lifetime (life of box) fee, but I'm not sure about that anymore.

But as aviewer points out, it's incompatible with U-Verse service.

The best thing to do, yeah, record each episode individually.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks evrryone. I guess we are smarter than the engineers who build these systems. At least you all understand the problem. But I'm no closer to a solution. ATT wants me to pick an answer as "best." That's not going to be easy. I learned something from every answer. Even if the problem isn't really solved at least I'm not in as much dark as I was.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

@turtleman7055 wrote:
Thanks evrryone. I guess we are smarter than the engineers who build these systems. At least you all understand the problem. But I'm no closer to a solution. ATT wants me to pick an answer as "best." That's not going to be easy. I learned something from every answer. Even if the problem isn't really solved at least I'm not in as much dark as I was.

Hi @turtleman7055 - I tried to set a series on the Dr. Who Marathon and saw that some did not schedule.  No idea why.

As far as "accepting a solution," if none seem to fit as best answer, then please, do not  select one.  It is totally optional and up to you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.