Posted Oct 15, 2010
12:46:03 PM
Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Another "cool" front blew through Indy last night with a reinforcing short of cool air.  Lots of wind and temps today in the 60's.  Maybe some light frost tomorrow.  We are still way down in the rainfall department but we got half an inch Wed. afternoon and that was as much as we received in all of August! 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
2,355 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(2,355)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012 5:22:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Florida's GOP convention might be rescheduled due to Isaac. Apparently they don't like the competition from the other big blowhard bearing down on Florida. :smileylol:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012 7:14:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Computer-Joe wrote:

Florida's GOP convention might be rescheduled due to Isaac. Apparently they don't like the competition from the other big blowhard bearing down on Florida. :smileylol:

Oh, yeah: I did hear that Joe Biden would be in Florida this week. :smileywink:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2012 1:20:49 PM
(0)
Expert

:smileyvery-happy:

I hope Isaac doesn't decide to move further West!  Could use some rain, though.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012 6:34:07 PM
(0)
Master

Wishing the best to all those who are feeling the wrath of Issac.

Pollen count is new to the weatherunderground. Below is a good reason for not living in Ohio if you have allergies to pollen or are a hay fever sufferer. I'm now constantly flushing my eyes with Refresh Tears to rid them of the pollen which burns. Can't wait to mow the pollen covered grass in the next couple days before the big holiday weekend.

Pollen data provided by Pollen.com

Ragweed, Chenopods and Nettle.

Wednesday
August 29, 2012
Thursday
August 30, 2012
Friday
August 31, 2012
Saturday
September 1, 2012

High
Medium-High
Medium
Low-Medium
Low

clear
90° | 57°
Clear
clear
93° | 68°
Clear
chancetstorms
86° | 63°
Chance of T-storms
50% chance of precipitation
chancetstorms
86° | 63°
Chance of T-storms
60% chance of precipitation

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012 8:05:10 PM
(0)
Expert

That pollen beats Houston's, wow!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012 8:20:44 PM
(0)
Master

Exact reason my older brother w/terrible hayfever fled to Miami where there's hardly any pollen. :smileywink:

Yeah, you guys aren't bad at all when it comes to the pollen count. I was kind of suprised the active link (Pollen.com) came through in my last post.

http://www.pollen.com/allergy-weather-forecast.asp

Allergy Forecast & Info, Pollen.com, 8-29-2012.png

Gee, do you think rain approching 20" may wash the pollen out of the air in LA, MS & AL??

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2012 8:28:57 PM
(0)
Expert

That's hard to say, depends how long it's been stuck to stuff. :smileysad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 1, 2012 8:29:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

While it is a shame that so many folks suffered loss of homes and other property from Isaac......here in our part of Missouri we are very grateful for his arrival.  As of this morning we've had 4 inches of rain over the past 24 hours, according to my gauge in the back yard, and it is still coming down.  A real drought breaker.  Not a torrential downpour.....just a steady rainfall.  Not much wind.  The center of the tropical depression is currently located just about right over Central Missouri now.  So our waves of weather are coming down from the north.  We're on the backside now.  Some spots in the Kansas City area have registered as much as 5.25 inches of rainfall.

Only creature with a problem with this weather is Alfie who would like to find a dry spot to empty his holding tanks.  I've got my umbrella but it isn't big enough to help keep him out of the rain.

Just wish the people on the Gulf Coast had not had so much damage.  As far as New Orleans goes......when someone chooses to live in a location below sea level.....well....what can they expect?  Man made protection has never been able to completely defend against the onslaught of mother nature's worst efforts.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 1, 2012 7:21:39 PM
(0)
Expert

Yup, we'll know we've made progress when we can take too much rain from one area and send it to another that needs it.

We got a quick downburst this morning; still hot and muggy.  Need another shower after lugging in groceries. :smileysad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 1, 2012 8:44:58 PM
(0)
Master

Now I know it was real hot yesterday (Fri) but didn't know how hot. Saw on the news where in the early morning it was 58 but 97 by late in the day! And real humid/muggy to boot!

Yesterday I walked out of my basement/garage about 5pm and heard thunder in the distance. All of the sudden this huge clap of thunder w/lightening right overhead and I must have jumped a foot off the ground! Scared the crap out of me and my ears were ringing afterwards it was so loud!

Looks like we're getting the much needed rain but just too bad it's going to rain most of the Labor Day activities out.

Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday
Chance of a Thunderstorm
82° F | 64° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
86° F | 64° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
90° F | 63° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
91° F | 61° F
Fog
86° F | 57° F
Chance of T-storms
70% chance of precipitation
Chance of T-storms
Chance of T-storms
Chance of T-storms
40% chance of precipitation
Fog

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 1, 2012 8:51:18 PM
(0)
Expert

Guess we can't complain too much, we're not underwater or forced to evac our homes. :smileysad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2012 4:49:59 AM
(0)
Professor

38 degrees right now with a little light frost on some roof tops :smileysurprised:  what a change from a couple of weeks ago!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2012 8:19:47 AM
(0)
Master

Yeah jfw, what a change and was 39 here most the early morning! Didn't see any frost but about 20 miles N of me bet they did since it was 33. Will be real nice most of the week but back in the 30's at night for the weekend.

As usual it's raining big black walnuts here and I'm so tired of cleaning them off of my gravel drive along with out of the yard already. I think the heat/drought stressed trees have put out a huge mast crop this year for survival of the species. I'm not seeing the squirrels intensely gathering nuts though so maybe we'll have another mild winter?

I was sad to see the Red-breasted Grosbeaks not hang around my feeders all summer and probably headed further N to flee the intense heat. At least several pairs of adults were able to raise a brood of young first. Hummers are still here and I'm keeping fresh sugar water in my 2 feeders to give them an energy boost since they will probably leave within a week w/cold temps for their 5K mile flight down to S. America for the winter. Hard to believe such little birds can make a 10K mile round trip migration and the same ones will be right back at my feeders in the Spring. What a homing instinct!

Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Clear
64° F | 43° F
Partly Cloudy
75° F | 52° F
Partly Cloudy
75° F | 54° F
Partly Cloudy
79° F | 39° F
Partly Cloudy
63° F | 36° F
Clear Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Partly Cloud

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2012 1:56:38 AM
(0)
Expert

Isn't it early to have those temps, even up there? 

60 here and not liking it indoors.  Was nice yesterday to not sweat to death with humidity, though.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2012 9:05:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Yes it's too early IMO.  We have had temps in the 60s for the past two days with night time tepms dip into the 30s.  Days like this makes those flying roaches not look so bad.  We are supposed to get 70s temps today.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2012 11:45:44 PM
(0)
Master

spd2demun wrote:

Isn't it early to have those temps, even up there? 

60 here and not liking it indoors.  Was nice yesterday to not sweat to death with humidity, though.

It sure is Spd and usually the 1st frost isn't until about the end of the first week in October. In fact it was 36 the other morning here and we missed the record (33) by 3 degrees. Avg low temps in Sept are 52 for the month and 77 for average highs.

Going to be a cold weekend and just peachy when 39 w/cold rain Sat. :smileysad:

Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday
Chance of Rain
73° F | 54° F
Chance of Rain
70° F | 39° F
Partly Cloudy
61° F | 39° F
Clear
64° F | 45° F
Partly Cloudy
73° F | 55° F
Chance of Rain
Chance of Rain
30% chance of precipitation
Partly Cloudy Clear Partly Cloudy

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 4:46:32 AM
(0)
Professor

This whole year's weather has been unusual, record setting mild winter, 80's in March, drought and  the intense heat. We missed tying the record number of 90+ days here by 1and now the early frost. I wonder what old man winter has planned for us this year, I doubt we're going to escape with another mild one.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 7:52:15 AM
(0)
Master

Agree, it's been a super strange weather year jwf. In addition to things you mentioned don't forget about the super strong winds we had in the early spring and around the 4th of July. I can't forget in just looking at all the huge trees down in the woods around here and looks like a real disaster hit!

If the Farmers Almanac 2012/2013 Winter predictions "holds any water" they're calling for a colder than normal winter in the E. half of the US and warmer than normal in the West. Cold and snowy predicted for us in the Great Lake states.

Personally I believe in global warming and have a feeling we're going to see the winters turning more mild, with less snow, in the very near future. But that's just me. In observing the wildlife around here I don't see the squirrels gathering nuts in a panic like they have before when winters turned out to be cold and snowy. But as we all know it's all a crap shoot on what the weather is going to do next anymore...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 12:40:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@Uni!! Hi!! :smileyhappy: How accurate are those farmer's almanac predictions?? Some people really DO go by what they say but how does anyone really know how the weather's going to be?? Even the meteorologists are not always right and they have equipment that they use. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 4:54:11 PM
(0)
Master

Hey DC! :smileyhappy: Well the Farmer's Almanac says they're right 80-85% of the time but others put the figures closer to a 50/50 chance they predict the weather correctly. And note there is an "Old Farmers Almanac" and just a "Farmers Almanac" as can be seen below. Good luck predicting the weather from a secret mathematical and astronomical formula from 1818!

http://news.discovery.com/earth/farmers-almanac-111021.html

Lately it doesn't seem like their predictions are all that accurate but as you said, neither are the weather forecasters who have all the modern equipment. :smileywink:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 7:04:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Hey DC! :smileyhappy: Well the Farmer's Almanac says they're right 80-85% of the time but others put the figures closer to a 50/50 chance they predict the weather correctly. And note there is an "Old Farmers Almanac" and just a "Farmers Almanac" as can be seen below. Good luck predicting the weather from a secret mathematical and astronomical formula from 1818!

http://news.discovery.com/earth/farmers-almanac-111021.html

Lately it doesn't seem like their predictions are all that accurate but as you said, neither are the weather forecasters who have all the modern equipment. :smileywink:

I guess even OUR guess is an good as anybody's. :smileytongue: I think we're bound to get SOME snow this winter..we were TOO lucky last year. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 9:59:42 PM
(0)
Master

Well, here's a list which may help with nature's predictions to look for.

20 Earthly Signs of a Harsh Winter Ahead

1. Thicker than normal corn husks
  2. Woodpeckers sharing a tree
  3. Early arrival of the Snowy owl
  4. Early departure of geese and ducks
  5. Early migration of the Monarch butterfly
  6. Thick hair on the nape (back) of the cow’s neck
  7. Heavy and numerous fogs during August
  8. Raccoons with thick tails and bright bands
  9. Mice eating ravenously into the home
  10. Early arrival of crickets on the hearth
  11. Spiders spinning larger than usual webs and entering the house in great numbers
  12. Pigs gathering sticks
  13. Insects marching a bee line rather than meandering
  14. Early seclusion of bees within the hive
  15. Unusual abundance of acorns
  16. Muskrats burrowing holes high on the river hank
  17. “See how high the hornet’s nest, ‘twill tell how high the snow will rest”
  18. Narrow orange band in the middle of the Woollybear caterpillar warns of heavy snow
  19. The squirrel gathers nuts early to fortify against a hard winter
  20. Frequent halos or rings around sun or moon forecast numerous snow falls.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/20-signs-of-a-harsh-winter-105830/

I shouldn't stick my neck out and predict another mild winter. I have never seen the oaks produce so many acorns as this year. The few Wollybear caterpillars I've seen are completely black, with little if any band in the middle. I'm seeing crickets trying to enter the house but the mice have not yet tried to invade. Spiders are making real large webs on the outside of the house. Can't say anything about the Monarch butterfly migrations since haven't seen any. In fact it's been a disastrous year for moths and butterflies with the drought conditions causing lack of flowering native plants. Haven't seen hardly any Bald-faced Hornets this year and have heard if they build their round paper nests near the ground it's a prediction for a harsh winter.

And guess I need to look at what my subconscious is saying too. I've never cut/split all my winter supply of firewood in the extreme heat of the late summer, like this year, and waited for cooler weather. Maybe there's something about the back-of-my-mind preparedness?

Once I see pigs gathering sticks I'll know we better watch out! :smileyvery-happy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 5:03:43 AM
(0)
Professor

Here's what the Climate Prediction Center is forecasting for Dec - Jan - Feb. I doubt we'll have a repeat of last winter's record setting mild winter but anything's possible.

National map

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 5:47:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Sep 22, 2012 at 5:57:30 AM

Morning Uni! I've been seeing a lot of geese in the past week. I'm wondering if this the time of the year when they head South or just flying from one watering hole to another??? 

Very interesting list that you posted. Thanks!  Pigs gathering sticks??? I'll watch out for that one, too!! :smileyvery-happy::smileyhappy:

I'm NOT looking forward to the stinkbugs trying to get into the house, I'll tell ya that! :smileytongue:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 11:53:27 AM
(0)
Master

Yeah DC, the ducks and geese will start gathering for migration but some residents will stay here until there's no open water. Reason many ducks head to the rivers since they don't freeze as fast since they're flowing.

Don't care about the stink bugs but expect to see the invasion of the Asian Lady Beetles start this week since we'll have near freezing temps overnight. Hate those invasive insects, have to spray the whole house with insecticide, and would be nice if the drought cut down on their numbers. Nothing like having a brown house in the woods which they're drawn to by the heat when the sun shines.

I best bring in my houseplants today and maybe cover my 8 tomato plants which are 5'-6' tall while still loaded with tomatoes. Sure is early for near freezing temps, was 34 this morning, and tonight will be even colder. Also time to fire up the woodstove.

Frost Advisory

Statement as of 9:05 AM EDT on September 23, 2012

... Frost advisory remains in effect from 2 am to 10 am EDT
Monday...

* temperatures... overnight lows in the mid to upper 30s.

* Timing... late tonight and Monday morning.

* Impacts... sensitive plants left outdoors and unprotected may
be damaged.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A frost advisory means that frost is likely. Sensitive outdoor
plants may be killed if left uncovered.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 3:05:27 AM
(0)
Master

Yikes! We may get down to freezing yet this morning and wonder how my tomato plants are doing under the tarps??

Clear
33 °F
Clear
Humidity: 92%

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 3:56:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Yikes! We may get down to freezing yet this morning and wonder how my tomato plants are doing under the tarps??

Clear
33 °F
Clear
Humidity: 92%

Morning Uni! That IS cold!! It's 44 here with a high of 65 forecast. I can handle that! :smileytongue:

Have a good one! :smileyhappy:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 5:01:09 AM
(0)

A balmy 51 here in Montana

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 9:51:31 AM
(0)
Master

Hey DC & Taylarie, yep we hit 32 and just had to have the coldest temp in Ohio.

I just happened to think after the 1st freeze the Asian Lady Beetles will be flocking to the house and I still have my 3 window AC units in. Better take them out today because if those little lady bug type insects get into the inside of the units I'll never get them out.

At least the S winds will be bringing in warmer temps this week. Of course rain will be coming with them.

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
Clear
64° F | 46° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
72° F | 57° F
Chance of a Thunderstorm
72° F | 50° F
Fog
72° F | 48° F
Chance of Rain
72° F | 48° F
Clear Chance of T-storms
Chance of T-storms
Fog Chance of Rain

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012 2:02:12 AM
(0)
Expert

Time for our annual HIT on Old Man Winter, Uni!  This year we should follow through!

What IS up with the acorns?  Tons falling here, only from Live Oaks, and they're extremely small and green.  Can't sleep or rest with the constant banging on the roof, really bad this year!

The crepe myrtles are still in bloom with all green leaves, normally by this time, they've shed all flowers and leaves would be turning yellow and orange.

We've been in the 90's and AC still running every day and night.  Mosquitoes still need a home somewhere else...

Expecting rain this weekend, we could use it.   Local news people talking about not being able to wear boots and winter clothes--if you want to dress for another season, move out of this city!