Posted Oct 15, 2010
12:46:03 PM
View profile
Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Another "cool" front blew through Indy last night with a reinforcing short of cool air.  Lots of wind and temps today in the 60's.  Maybe some light frost tomorrow.  We are still way down in the rainfall department but we got half an inch Wed. afternoon and that was as much as we received in all of August! 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
2,355 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(2,355)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 9:48:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The forecasters here have also been protecting their behinds with lots of disclaimers.  Seems they just can't nail down the route that the big weather system coming from the west will take.  But my wife and I are ready.  The pantry is full and I have my trusty can opener all oiled and ready to go.:smileywink:

When Alfie and I hit the trail this morning it was 42 degrees.  WOW! A real heat wave.  But our winds have picked up so I still wore my cap with ear flaps, my hoody and my leather jacket with the collar turned up.  I'm a wimp.  I admit it.  But Alfie loves the chilly weather.  Only thing that would make him happier would be a nice thick layer of snow for him to romp through and stick his nose into.

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

181 of 2,356 (894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 11:46:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

It wasn't 42 here this morning but with my long sleeve pullover (and no coat / jacket) it was bearable as I had my boy, Gizzie out for his 10 minute run.  Phil, Alfie and Gizzie must be cut from the same cloth.  Gizzie loves the snow and cold but hates hot weather!  He bites at the snow and normally eats a little of it as he must think that it's "play food."

If you recall my mentioning a buddy that lives in London, Ontario and his 55 inches of snow from Monday - Wednesday.  He told me that is more snow than they got all of last year - combined.  He also related that the Lake Effect "streamer" finally moved East and started pelting Woodstock, Ontario (just 30 miles East) with snowfall at the rate of 3" per hour.  By then, he had bright sunshine.  Also 30 miles to his west, they had NO snow on the ground and actually had a grass fire along the 401!  Unreal.  He may get in on this big weekend snowstorm, too.

182 of 2,356 (879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2010 6:52:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

We had high reading of 53.2 degrees today.  Really nice.  But look out this coming weekend....if the forecasters are right.

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking

183 of 2,356 (853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 4:06:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

5_DAY.jpg

We have a cold front coming through on Saturday but back into the 70s on Wednesday.  I wish this weather would make up it's mind instead of the roller coaster we've been on. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

184 of 2,356 (841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 5:15:28 AM
(0)
Professor

As of right now, the big storm predicted for the weekend is expected to track through Iowa and Wisconsin so the heavy snow will stay well north of Chicago, rain, sleet and freezing drizzle here. Bears and Pats are playing at Soldier Field on Sunday, high temp is supposed to be 17, dropping to 3 at night with winds gusting to 40 mph. Should be interesting.

185 of 2,356 (833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 7:15:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

jfw wrote:

As of right now, the big storm predicted for the weekend is expected to track through Iowa and Wisconsin so the heavy snow will stay well north of Chicago, rain, sleet and freezing drizzle here. Bears and Pats are playing at Soldier Field on Sunday, high temp is supposed to be 17, dropping to 3 at night with winds gusting to 40 mph. Should be interesting.

That is why the meteorologists held off on "Gloom and Doom" forecasts in our area.  The original thinking was that the storm was going to track up the Ohio River - putting the heaviest snow from Springfield, IL, thru Indy and hooking up to Lake Erie.  Now it appears that the storm will track across N. Ill and Indiana which indeed puts the heaviest snow in Wisconsin.

186 of 2,356 (825 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 10:41:30 AM
(0)
Professor

Fingers crossed that the storm doesn't change to a track further south or we'll get dumped on. Not looking forward to the artic blast after the storm passes.... I HATE WINTER!

Graphical depiction of the weather story for today.

187 of 2,356 (814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 10:45:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Looks like it is moving even further North!  Some co-workers are on Travel orders and are scheduled to leave Fort McCoy, WI on Sunday.  I think I would try to get out a day sooner.............

188 of 2,356 (810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 10:51:34 AM
(0)
Professor

With the high winds and bitter cold temps expected, I wouldn't be surprised to see blizzard contitions in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

189 of 2,356 (801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 2:25:17 PM
(0)
Professor

Looks like the weekend weather here is rapidly deteriorating. :smileysad:

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH
SUNDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH
SUNDAY EVENING.

* TIMING...SATURDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY NIGHT ACROSS NORTH CENTRAL
AND NORTHEAST ILLINOIS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...GENERALLY LESS THAN 5 INCHES...BUT STRONG WINDS
COULD PRODUCE CONSIDERABLE DRIFTING.

* HAZARDS...WIND GUSTS IN EXCESS OF 45 MPH...BLOWING AND DRIFTING
SNOW...REDUCED VISIBILITY...BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS TO AROUND
25 BELOW ZERO SUNDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS...VISIBILITY OF LESS THAN A QUARTER
MILE AT TIMES...FALLING BRANCHES AND POWERLINES...FROSTBITE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

THIS WINTER STORM WATCH IS MEANT TO ADDRESS A VARIETY OF HAZARDS
INCLUDING SNOW...BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...STRONG WIND
GUSTS...AND BITTERLY COLD WIND CHILLS.

190 of 2,356 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 2:46:08 PM
(0)

Next Friday is supposed to be 75 degrees - woot!

-Wendy

191 of 2,356 (756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 2:48:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

They already have a Winter Weather Advisory for Central IL and that seems just due to the whiteout conditions and not actual snowfall, as they are only expecting an inch. :smileysurprised: But I have seen a 1-2" snow whip into blinding white outs and 3' mini drifts. :smileysad:

From the Central IL NWS Site:

* IMPACTS...WHILE SNOWFALL WILL REMAIN MINIMAL WITH THIS WINTER
  STORM SYSTEM...THE COMBINATION OF VERY STRONG WINDS...BLOWING
  SNOW...AND BITTERLY COLD WIND-CHILLS WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS
  CONDITIONS. TRAVEL IS DISCOURAGED SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY. :smileysurprised:

192 of 2,356 (753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 4:10:41 PM
(0)
Professor

wendigo wrote:

Next Friday is supposed to be 75 degrees - woot!

-Wendy

Thanks for rubbing it in, Wendy. :smileyvery-happy:

193 of 2,356 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 4:11:48 PM
(0)
Expert

Same temp in Houston, but another Arctic front is on its way. :smileymad:

194 of 2,356 (733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 4:21:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Arctic front?  Try living with arctic conditions for months.

195 of 2,356 (729 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 4:22:22 PM
(0)
Expert

I can't imagine, but at least you have consistency. :smileysad:

196 of 2,356 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 4:27:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I understand the consistence part, but I think I could live with temps going up high enough to melt the ice and snow.  Instead of spending weeks/months living with it.  But thats just me.  I read a post earlier where a person stated they would like to go up in northern Michigan to experience the snow storm.  :smileysurprised:

197 of 2,356 (710 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 4:29:14 PM
(0)
Expert

Understood, and I don't get that either, wanting snow. :smileysad:  I vote for 70's for everyone all winter. :smileyhappy:

198 of 2,356 (707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 4:31:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I vote for 70s all winter and 80 all summer.  I could live with that.

199 of 2,356 (703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 4:35:09 PM
(0)
Expert

Yup, sounds like a plan...and no 100%+ humidity allowed!

200 of 2,356 (689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 5:32:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

It was absolutely fabulous here today.  We had a high of 60 degrees and no wind.  I took my little buddy, Alfie, out side for a tour around the yard at 3 PM and he absolutely did not want to come back in the house.....just wanted to stretch out in the grass and soak up some sunshine.

201 of 2,356 (775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 5:42:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Blah Blah Blah

j/k:smileywink:

202 of 2,356 (768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 7:14:45 PM
(0)
Guru

If it will make you feel any better, RC, we had an inch of snow 2 days ago, and expect 2-5" tomorrow.  Then bitter cold until Wednesday.

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

203 of 2,356 (742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 7:19:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No it doesn't make me feel better.  But I do realize that you know exactly how I feel tho.  I wouldn't mind the winter if we had longer summer weather.  We only get two months of really warmer weather.  Then we get 4 to 6 months of ???? weather.  And then we get 4 months of COLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD TO THE BONE temps.:smileysurprised:

204 of 2,356 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 4:00:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

you guys just keep all that white stuff up north.  I've lived in New England once for 3 years and will NEVER live that far north again.  Bad enough that we occasionally get snow in Dallas, can't imagine having several months of it again.  One thing I really miss about living in Hawaii, having a white sandy beach Christmas was sure nice.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

205 of 2,356 (715 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 7:09:17 AM
(0)
Guru

Ooohhhh. . . The weather outside is frightful,

but the UV is so delightful!

Sad to say that's where my butt will be planted this weekend. WINTER STORM WARNING in effect.

206 of 2,356 (706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 7:58:26 AM
(0)
Expert

If I hear that song, Let It Snow, one more time in a store, I'm gonna be ill!

Feel bad for all you folks getting blizzards and so much snow. :smileysad:

207 of 2,356 (700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 9:01:38 AM
(0)
Guru

Know what you mean. I do enjoy Christmas music. But not when it starts day after Halloween.:smileysad:

208 of 2,356 (689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 3:47:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well, RC, if it makes you feel any better......after that 60 degree high yesterday...it had dropped to 44 degrees at 8 AM today and then the front roared through.  33 deg. at 9 AM.   22 deg. by around 4 PM when I took Alfie out for his after-dinner draining.  The wind was also blowing with gusts 30 to 40 mph.  Alfie squatted......then tried to walk around the house, his hair plastered back against his body by the wind....then he took one look at me and bolted for the front door to be let inside.

Right now, 5:45 PM, it is 18.6 degrees and still dropping.  We also have had some light snow flurries.....but no accumulation.  After we gave up our full-time RVing we should have settled in Texas.  But that's another story.:smileyvery-happy:

I hate winter just as much as you do RC.

209 of 2,356 (671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 4:46:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I don't like it when temps drop like that.  If it is going to get cold then stay cold, and then warm up when the time comes.  If it is going to be 2 degrees be 2 degrees, don't warm up to 40 and then back down to 12. 

I would love to see white sany beaches on christmas day.  I would probably feel like crying I would be so happy.

210 of 2,356 (662 Views)