Posted Oct 15, 2010
12:46:03 PM
Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Another "cool" front blew through Indy last night with a reinforcing short of cool air.  Lots of wind and temps today in the 60's.  Maybe some light frost tomorrow.  We are still way down in the rainfall department but we got half an inch Wed. afternoon and that was as much as we received in all of August! 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
2,355 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(2,355)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2010 8:56:47 PM
(0)
Expert

Dr. Oz says:smileyvery-happy:

MYTH #3: CATCH A COLD FROM COLD WEATHER

If a virus is present in the air, anyone can catch it. It is about the germs—not the
temperature or what you are wearing that will get you infected.  

Cold weather does allow viruses to live longer and in the winter. When you spend more

time inside, you may be more likely to become infected the virus. Nevertheless, you
cannot just catch a cold from being outside in the winter. 

Re: Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

151 of 2,356 (1,307 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2010 9:29:45 PM
(0)
Master

Neat link Spd but "burst my bubble" about hydrogen peroxide disinfecting cuts. Have used it since a kid and still do. Well, maybe if you have dirt in a cut it will bubble it out?? :smileywink:

Myth #4 – Hydrogen Peroxide is a Good Way to Disinfect a Cut?
Before we started this demo, Dr. Oz  asked how many people in the audience have used hydrogen peroxide to clean a cut. We were both surprised to see that almost the entire audience raised their hands. Perhaps we should not be surprised, after all, it says right on the bottle that it can be used to disinfect a cut. Hydrogen peroxide works as a disinfectant by releasing oxygen when it comes in contact with an enzyme in the body called catalase. That is why putting hydrogen peroxide on an open cut will create bubbles — the bubbles  are actually filled with oxygen and in some cases that oxygen-rich environment can kill bacteria. The downside is that it can also harm healthy cells surrounding the cut. Some evidence also points to the fact that the reaction happens to fast in a cut to make much of a difference.  For that reason, hydrogen peroxide is not a good choice for disinfecting most cuts although it is used in other applications for disinfecting.

Seems colder than heck here, will be even worse mid-week, but Miami in the living room (90 degrees) with wood stove blasting. :smileyvery-happy:

Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday
Snow Showers
31° F | 20° F
Snow Showers
27° F | 18° F
Chance of Snow
25° F | 13° F
Partly Cloudy
25° F | 11° F
Partly Cloudy
29° F | 18° F
Snow Showers
30% chance of precipitation
Snow Showers
Chance of Snow
Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy

spd2demun wrote:

Dr. Oz says:smileyvery-happy:

MYTH #3: CATCH A COLD FROM COLD WEATHER

If a virus is present in the air, anyone can catch it. It is about the germs—not the
temperature or what you are wearing that will get you infected.  

Cold weather does allow viruses to live longer and in the winter. When you spend more

time inside, you may be more likely to become infected the virus. Nevertheless, you
cannot just catch a cold from being outside in the winter. 

152 of 2,356 (1,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2010 10:25:33 PM
(0)
Guru

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 21. Wind chill values between zero and 5. Northwest wind around 15 mph.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8. Wind chill values between -5 and zero. Northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 18. Wind chill values between -5 and zero. Northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 5. Northwest wind around 15 mph.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 19. Northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 7. Northwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 21. North wind around 5 mph.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 9.

Thursday: A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28.

Thursday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20.

Friday: A 20 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 27.

What can I say? It's Wisconsin.  5" of snow on the ground this AM. Looks nice but....

153 of 2,356 (1,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 5, 2010 8:16:18 AM
(0)

Hydrogen peroxide does disinfect cuts, its just that it damages healthy tissue as well in the process. We rarely used peroxide at the vet clinic, especially not in deep or large wounds. Mostly we used a diluted chlorhexaderm flush. Even betadine is better (although messier).

-Wendy

154 of 2,356 (1,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 5, 2010 9:04:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Dec 5, 2010 at 9:23:11 AM

Well...my pop was an MD and I learned from him many years ago that hydrogen peroxide is worthless as a disinfectant.  Good old rubbing alcohol is probably the most easily used and effective thing to use on a wound....and then protect it with a sterile bandaid or something similar.  Yep....the alcohol stings a bit.....big deal.  Better than an infection.

We finally broke the 20 degree barrier early this morning.  Had a low of 19.5 degrees on the north side of the house.  The sky cleared off after midnight and it got colder quickly.  Right now...11:16 AM....it is only 28.9 deg.    We've had no snow yet.  I, for one, don't miss it although I know it is important source of subsoil water for next spring's growing season.  Just don't like shoveling and can't justify expense of a snow blower.  We have a small electric one.  That was a waste of money.  Good old, push shovel is faster.

Someone sent me a power point presentation of snow in Russia. Geeeezzz!  If I knew how to stick it on here I would.  Why anyone would want to live the the northern parts of that country is completely beyond me.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
155 of 2,356 (1,246 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 5, 2010 9:49:06 AM
(0)
Guru

How about mercurachrome? I remember my Grandma in Southern Illinois had this stuff for cuts and scraps. It was like glow in the dark reddish orange or orangish red. The stuff would stain your skin for days.  It burned like a branding iron when applied! We would always blow on it to lessen the sting.

From Answers.com:

Q. What is mercurachrome?

A. It was a mercury-bromine compound used as a topical disinfectant of the skin and wounds. Many of us had this red liquid painted on us when we were young for skinned knees and small cuts.

It has been outlawed in the US for years, although non-mercury types are still available. Today you would use neo-sporin or similar products.

156 of 2,356 (1,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 5, 2010 10:13:49 AM
(0)
Employee

For years I had heard gargling with salt water would help with cold symptoms. They did a study and found just gargling 3 times a day with just plain water to help prevent the cold. The test subjects that gargled had 40% few colds then the group that did not.  It dislodges the cold causing material and cleans the throat. If you do have cold symptoms add the salt for some relief.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

157 of 2,356 (1,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 5, 2010 12:08:26 PM
(0)
Master

According to this Mayo Clinic link (2. Clean the wound) only clear water should be used to cleanse a wound.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-cuts/FA00042

They also say to use either Neosporin or Polysporin as a topical antiseptic. I remember having some hand surgery (one hand) a couple years ago and the head nurse told me to put Neosporin on the 2 small incision wounds. When I went back for a checkup a month later the excellent surgeon went ballistic and said she should have told me to use Polysporin since scar tissue had formed way too quick. He said this isn't supposed to happen with Polysporin but does with Neosporin. This kind of goes against the Mayo Clinic info which says neither makes a wound heal quicker. But this surgeon knows his trade and is the team doctor/surgeon for the Columbus Blue Jackets NHL team.

Here's an interesting email I received just a couple days ago. Really wonder about 2 glasses of Gatorade curing headache pain almost immediately? Bet it wouldn't get rid of a migraine. :smileywink:

Subject: Fwd: Grandma's Cures

I didn't check these "cures" out – but the one about the honey I've read before.  Can anyone dispute any of these?  It would be nice if simple things really worked.

Did You Know that drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately--
without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."

Did you know that Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns.

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 Tablespoon of horseradish in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.

"Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer.
Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly-- even though the product was never been advertised for this use.

"Honey remedy for skin blemishes ..
Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

Listerine therapy for toenail fungus. Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer ... If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409.
Insects drop to the ground instantly.

Smart splinter remover .just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt's tomato paste boil cure ..cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters... To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine ...a powerful antiseptic.

Vinegar to heal bruises ... Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Kills fleas instantly...Dawn dish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Good-bye fleas.

Rainy day cure for dog odor .Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal
with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.

Eliminate ear mites ..All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear...Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief... It's not for breakfast any more! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

As far as the weather goes it's a cold, gray/overcast day with snow flurries. Temp was stuck on 25 all morning and clear up to 28. Typical Ohio Winter blah weather but usually for January instead of December. :smileysad:

158 of 2,356 (1,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 5, 2010 2:46:24 PM
(0)
Professor

Just read there is a Wind Chill Advisory for South Florida, my heart bleeds for them. :smileyvery-happy:

159 of 2,356 (1,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 6, 2010 8:11:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

We had 16 degrees for an overnight low last night and around 14 is predicted for tonight.  It's 10:06 PM and 20.4 degrees out there already.  So far no snow.....thank goodness.

Poor Floridians.  When it gets down into the 40's they think they're freezing.  Our middle son lives in Ocala, FL.  Enjoys his big swimming pool and the warm winters.  Was just approached by his superiors about moving to Chicago to take the reins of another company.  Florida to Chicago!!!!! I don't know whether to laugh or cry for him.  Guess he'll have to build an indoor pool after they move.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

160 of 2,356 (1,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 6, 2010 8:16:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Cry for the weather, laugh for the pay.  IMO

161 of 2,356 (1,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 6, 2010 9:23:12 PM
(0)
Professor

It barely made it to 20 for a high today and they're predicting 7 above with a wind chill of -10 tomorrow night here in Chicago area, with 4 inches of snow on the ground the night time temps. are really dropping. Looking like we might be in for a long cold winter. :smileysad:

162 of 2,356 (1,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 6, 2010 10:17:32 PM
(0)
Expert

But when FL freezes, prices go up for OJ if the crop freezes. :smileysad:

Freeze here tonight, maybe tomorrow as well.  I HATE WINTER, say it with me! :smileymad:

163 of 2,356 (1,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 7, 2010 5:42:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Interesting rainfall / precip / snowfall map site: http://www.cocorahs.org/Maps/ViewMap.aspx?state=usa

164 of 2,356 (1,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 7, 2010 6:39:46 PM
(0)
Guru

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 5. Wind chill values between -5 and zero. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 20. Wind chill values between -5 and 5. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 10. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph.

Thursday: Snow likely, mainly after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 28. Wind chill values between zero and 10. South wind between 5 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Thursday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 24. South wind 10 to 15 mph becoming west.

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 30. West wind around 10 mph. Break out the shorts!

Friday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly clear, then becoming mostly cloudy toward daybreak, with a low around 19. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east.

Saturday: A 50 percent chance of snow. Increasing clouds, with a high near 32. East wind 5 to 15 mph becoming north. No hint as to amount of snow. Too far away.

Saturday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow. Cloudy and blustery, with a low around 14. Blustery. My favorite weather term. " Say? Doesn't it seem blustery today?":smileytongue:

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of snow. Partly sunny and windy, with a temperature falling to around 8 by 5pm.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy and blustery, with a low around -1. Frost possible

Monday: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 8. No joking here. Back to work and it's just plain cold.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -1.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 17.

Right now we seem to be on the January weather roller coaster. Below zero cold and only warming up  to snow. I'm not liking this one bit. Per NOAA our average high is around 30 this time of year. NOT 8!  There is snow on the ground so it does look pretty. Pretty **** cold!

165 of 2,356 (1,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 7, 2010 7:47:53 PM
(0)
Expert

That is some really horrible weather!

We'll be in the 40's tonight, instead of the light freeze that was predicted; but rain is coming.

166 of 2,356 (1,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 8, 2010 12:41:17 AM
(0)
Master

17 here now and temp still dropping.

Anybody try putting up Christmas lights with  a 10-15 degree chill factor? Probably not that stupid. :smileyvery-happy:

Bought a couple 18' clear "Crystal light cords" with blue lights and ran it around the edge of the canopy where wife parks her Jeep. Thought I'd try and cheer her up. Once the plastic light cord hit the cold it was like trying to uncoil 1/2" stiff copper tubing. It wasn't too bad since dressed for below zero weather but had to take my gloves off to tape it to the plastic. Wow, and had to keep running in and put my hands in front of heater.

Guess those squirrels were right about a cold Winter in gathering all the nuts so early. :smileywink:

We're running about 20 degrees below normal. High temps should be about 44 instead of 24. :smileysad:

Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
Mostly Cloudy
23° F | 9° F
Partly Cloudy
27° F | 22° F
Chance of Snow
38° F | 27° F
Mostly Cloudy
38° F | 32° F
Snow Showers
34° F | 14° F
Mostly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Chance of Snow
Mostly Cloudy Snow Showers
70% chance of precipitation

167 of 2,356 (1,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 8, 2010 3:22:23 AM
(0)
Professor

Seems like a good part of the country is having below normal temps, and technically winter doesn't start till the 21st.

Here's what we have to look forward to, note the bottom falls out Sunday night.:smileysad:

Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 22. Wind chill values as low as -4. Northwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 6. Wind chill values as low as -1. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming south southwest.

Thursday: A 30 percent chance of snow after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. Wind chill values as low as -1. South southwest wind between 5 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Thursday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 25. South southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 34. West southwest wind between 10 and 15 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25.

Saturday: A 40 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 32.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow. Cloudy and blustery, with a low around 21.

Sunday: A chance of snow. Cloudy and blustery, with a high near 21.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy and blustery, with a low around 2.

Monday: Sunny and cold and blustery, with a high near 9.

Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around -5.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 12.

168 of 2,356 (1,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 8, 2010 3:52:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Dec 8, 2010 at 3:58:54 AM

Uni - Look out!  Accuweather.com is painting the potential for a major snowstorm and maybe even a blizzard - setting up somewhere in the Midwest!  They have not mentioned amounts BUT their "first cut" map showed the heaviest snow, right down the  I-70 corridor, straight across both of our bailiwicks and pushing through to PA.  Of course, things could change between now and then BUT I remember the forecast the day before the Blizzard of 78, "Rain or Snow High 35.'  That is what Indy's forecast is for Sunday.   :smileysurprised:

400x266_12071619_weekendstormsnow.jpg

Speaking of snow, a fellow radio hobbyist in London, Ontario has noted that they have tripled their normal December snowfall in just the past 3 days.  By today, they should have 140 cm of snow, or 55" on the ground.  :smileysurprised: It must be Lake Huron Lake Effect snow.

[ Edited ]
169 of 2,356 (1,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 8, 2010 6:17:19 AM
(0)
Master

Yeah, saw that same forecast Dave and we've been lucky about getting bypassed by the snow storms here. Even if we don't have a blizzard temps around 32-35 are not good with lots of moisture above.

I remember the blizzard of '78' well but seems like ice storms are even more disastrous. My furnace went out in the '78' blizzard but I was totally w/o power for 8 days with last major ice storm. Flip a coin on what's worse but I'd have to say ice. :smileysad:

Guess we need to start hoarding food/supplies for whatever comes. LOL. Really need to install my snow plow/frame on my lawn tractor which is a real pain.

Believe all the northern states, along the Great Lakes, have been hit hard by snow. Some parts of NY have almost 4' of snow.

http://www.post-journal.com/page/content.detail/id/576156.html

170 of 2,356 (1,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 8, 2010 8:29:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I agree 100% that ice is much worse.  Indiana has been hit hard by Ice Storms but areas about 100 miles south of here (I-64 corridor) have seen them more often.  

Snowstorms are bad in Indianapolis because unless it is over 8" or so (the city says 6") they will not plow any neighborhood streets.  What they wind up doing is what I call "ram plowing" the main roads by driving the trucks like 40-45 mph down the main streets and they wind up sealing off the neighborhood streets under a 2 foot tall berm of hard, chunky snow.  Been doing it like that for years.  When I was in college, I lived a few miles out and I hung out with a buddy that lived in Indianapolis.  6 weeks after the snow melted off the grass, roads and such, the side streets STILL had ice and snow packs on them!  Lazy city!

171 of 2,356 (1,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 8, 2010 9:38:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Brrrrrr.  It dropped down to 12.2 degrees under clear sky last night.  Had to get up early today for a doctor appointment.  Alfie did not have any desire to go his walk in temperature that cold.  So we just strolled around the yard and he got his "jobs" done near home. 

HOWEVER......I really should not gripe.  We lived in Central Iowa from 1966 to 1984.  It was a period of miserable winters.  This Kansas bred boy had never seen 25 degrees BELOW zero until then.  When it started snowing .....from the middle of November to the usual thaw in late January we folks in the residential areas would never see bare street pavement.....just packed snow cover.  At times the snow would get so deep that my snow blower could not heave it high enough to get it over the drifts and it would fall back onto the driveway or sidewalk.  I really cannot find adequate words to describe how I felt about having to go out at 6:30 AM and -20 to -25 degrees with 20 to 25 mph winds to remove snow from our driveway and sidewalks.  It gave new meaning to the word MISERABLE.  But here in the Kansas City area we are just far enough south that we have not experienced those kinds of winters.  I think the natural warming cycle that we're in right now has helped.  I'm sure things will swing back the other way in a few years.

172 of 2,356 (1,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 8, 2010 12:34:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I thought -20F was as cold as it would get it here in Indy but in 1994 it got to -27 with -60 wind chill.  My late ex-son in law had his Pontiac Grand Am's horn start blowing by itself at 2 AM.  My 1986 Toyota van was the only vehicle that started between our two houses.  c-c-c-cold.

173 of 2,356 (1,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 8, 2010 12:43:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Dec 8, 2010 at 12:46:27 PM

Uni - I was browsing through the NOAA Indianapolis website and clicked on "Forecast discussion."  Below is what I copied from it regarding the potential big snowstorm.  This was written on Monday - their system is slow to refresh.  Anyway - What that tells me is it is a good chance that it will happen but he / she (the forecaster) doesn't want to get burned if it doesn't happen or is not as severe as it sounds.

FOCUS IS ON CHANCES FOR PRECIPITATION THROUGH THE PERIOD. MODELS

ARE SIMILAR SO TOOK A BLEND. THE 06Z GFS AND THE 00Z ECMWF SHOWED

A BIG STORM FOR NEXT WEEKEND...BUT AM NOT READY TO BELIEVE IT

QUITE YET GIVEN THE UNCERTAINTIES THAT FAR OUT.

[ Edited ]
174 of 2,356 (1,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 8, 2010 3:54:58 PM
(0)
Master

Dave, just saw the local forecast for the Midwest and there calling for blizzard type conditions on Sunday for IL, Indiana and the Northern 1/3 of Ohio. It may, or may not, hit Central Ohio. But they are calling for snow and high winds here.

Yeah, I also remember that 1994 cold snap well. Per wiki for Columbus, OH:

The coldest temperature ever recorded was −22 °F (−30 °C), occurring on January 19, 1994.

One of the reasons I remember it was my mom and step-dad (previous one) lived in Daytona Beach and flew up here on the above date. It was 85 when they left and -20 when they arrived. I had to help my 80 year old step-dad from the car to the house in the wind/snow. The first thing he said was, "why the he_ _ did we come here!". :smileyvery-happy:

Believe I've mentioned the above story/situation before. Guess I shouldn't laugh because a -105 temp drop has to be hard on anybody, especially an 80 year old. :smileysad:

175 of 2,356 (1,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 8, 2010 7:59:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Uniblurb3 wrote:

17 here now and temp still dropping.

Anybody try putting up Christmas lights with  a 10-15 degree chill factor? Probably not that stupid. :smileyvery-happy:

Bought a couple 18' clear "Crystal light cords" with blue lights and ran it around the edge of the canopy where wife parks her Jeep. Thought I'd try and cheer her up. Once the plastic light cord hit the cold it was like trying to uncoil 1/2" stiff copper tubing. It wasn't too bad since dressed for below zero weather but had to take my gloves off to tape it to the plastic. Wow, and had to keep running in and put my hands in front of heater.

Guess those squirrels were right about a cold Winter in gathering all the nuts so early. :smileywink:

We're running about 20 degrees below normal. High temps should be about 44 instead of 24. :smileysad:

WednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
Mostly Cloudy
23° F | 9° F
Partly Cloudy
27° F | 22° F
Chance of Snow
38° F | 27° F
Mostly Cloudy
38° F | 32° F
Snow Showers
34° F | 14° F
Mostly CloudyPartly CloudyChance of Snow
Mostly CloudySnow Showers
70% chance of precipitation

Seems to me you were the nut in this case. Luckily the squirrels didn't try to hide you away.  :smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

176 of 2,356 (1,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 9, 2010 1:36:43 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Uniblurb3 on Dec 9, 2010 at 2:20:30 AM

:smileyvery-happy: Yeah, really OUfan. :smileywink:

Put more lights up yesterday but just around large yard bushes which was fairly easy. It's now or never with the snows coming and makes the "hammer" happy. LOL. It actually seemed like the day got warmer towards dusk. Was supposed to hit 9 this morning according to the weather guessers but 20 now instead. Way off and we'll see if it hits 5 next week since calling for real cold weather after Sun snow/wind.

Speaking of squirrels. Have a big ole metal Coleman cooler on back porch for feeding the birds from. Filled it up yesterday and noticed bird food coming out of the bottom/end. Squirrels ate the plastic drain plug to get to the bird food and nowhere to be found. Fitting name - bushy tailed rats. :smileywink:

edit: :smileyvery-happy:

image005.jpg

[ Edited ]
177 of 2,356 (1,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 9, 2010 3:50:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Love the cartoon.   If you can go to a hardware store or a sporting goods store and find a bottle of fox urine you can keep the squirrels away.  In your case just sprikle a few drops around your bird feeder and they won't come within 50 yards of it.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

178 of 2,356 (1,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 9, 2010 7:46:26 AM
(0)
Master

Not sure if that would work since there's foxes around here and the squirrels are well aware of it. One red fox, who lives near my house, is so brazen he will sit on top of a hill overlooking my yard and bark at my son's huge Mastiff, and Charlie, my big Newfoundland. I really need to get a video/with sound of him because I've never seen a fox bark like a dog so much. Does it day or night and has been around for a year or two. I could give fox urine a try but would be afraid Charlie would go nuts and lick it up. Yuk! :smileyvery-happy:

The squirrels around here are relentless. I've even sprayed the wiring, vacuum hoses and underhood insulation with "Shot-Gun Hot Pepper Wax Animal Repellent" (w/capasipcin) on my vehicles. Seems to have no effect on them and note they show a photo of a squirrel on the front of the bottle in the link.

When they were chewing/removing the underhood insulation on my son's Toyota Supra I soaked the insulation with this spray. That did not stop them and they still took the insulation home for their den nesting material. Go figure.... :smileysad:

179 of 2,356 (1,094 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 9, 2010 9:04:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Dec 9, 2010 at 9:09:04 AM

Our local meteorologist (Angela on WISH-TV) showed four possible scenarios, last night at 11.  Two tracks had the Low Pressure center move up the Ohio River and veer NE at Cincy.  This would put the heavy snow over Central IL and IN and then jog NE and head toward Toledo, missing you.  One track had the low up by Chicago which would put us in more of a rain / freezing rain event and one track kept the storm in Tennessee which would give us all an inch or two of snow and bitter cold.  So who knows.  Someone will get snowed in, somewhere!

EDIT - Accuweather seems to have the heavy brunt of the snow further NORTH.  HOWEVER - at nay rate, a major cold spell is still forecast to hit next week with lows below zero.

[ Edited ]
180 of 2,356 (1,085 Views)