Posted Apr 3, 2011
4:18:35 PM
Iowa Bald Eagles ready to hatch their eggs. LIVE!

Two Eagles....in the nest.....with eggs just about to hatch.  I believe it is a live video.  I noticed that there are an awful lot of folks watching.  This is in NE Iowa near the town of Decorah.  NE Iowa is pretty much dairy country....hilly and lots of forest and woods with cliffs and rock formations.  Not too far from the Mississippi River.   Have a look while it is is still daylight.

I rushed to get this posted for all our wildlife lovers. Hope I'm correct on my facts.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
263 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(263)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 19, 2012 4:34:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well Kerry, just keep checking the link to the Decorah Eagles.  This spring was second time around for me.  The video streamed from that camera focused on the nest is one of the most viewed feeds in Internet history......and the viewers are all over the world.  These two parents had three little ones last year and they are out on their own since last summer.  One of those from last year's batch has a transponder attached to her so the preserve staff can keep track of her.  She logged over 700 miles in her first summer then returned to NE Iowa and has been hanging around the area ever since.  She'll be ready to mate in a couple more years.  It's strange to me that she has come back to her "home" area but we are told that it is extremely unlikely that she will ever return to the nest where she hatched to "visit" mom and pop.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Iowa Bald Eagles ready to hatch their eggs. LIVE!

211 of 264 (1,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2012 9:50:28 AM
(0)
Guru

Just paid a visit -- the three eaglets are chowing down on something -- can't see 'cause mom's in the way.  Just amazing we can watch this!

212 of 264 (1,420 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2012 11:13:19 AM
(0)
Expert

I know, the next best thing to being there!  I still feel like a voyeur sometimes, and like it's mean that we're spying on them. :smileyvery-happy:

213 of 264 (1,414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 19, 2012 10:46:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on May 19, 2012 at 10:58:29 PM

WOW!  The eaglets are really big now.  Won't be too long before they will begin branching....that is experimental flights to nearby branches.  Mom and dad are kept busy feeding them now.  The two adults are now leaving the nest at night and probably perching on nearby branches.

The bald eagle, D-1 from last years little family, has headed out on a late spring trip.  As of 5/17/2012 she had flown some 450 miles north from the Decorah, Iowa area nest, well into Canada.  A gal with a love for adventure.  Gotta love her.   I hope the battery on her transponder doesn't wear out before she finally makes her choice of where to settle, find a mate and nest.  But that is at least 3 to 4 yrs. away so I really doubt if the battery will last that long.  I believe there is a timer on the device that turns on just for short periods at certain times of the day.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

[ Edited ]
214 of 264 (1,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 20, 2012 12:24:30 PM
(0)
Expert

I just went to take a peek, and they're fast asleep.  I still can't believe they don't fall out of that nest!

Boy, is it noisy there--how can they sleep?  I can even hear the tree branches creaking!

untitled1.jpg

215 of 264 (1,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 19, 2012 10:01:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Jun 19, 2012 at 10:26:24 PM

Another nesting period about concluded.  All three of the new Bald Eagles in the Decorah, Iowa nest have fledged....that is taken flight....and the preserve people have announced that the Eagle Cam will be shut off on June 30th.   You might want to go to the site and read the full comment and info.    New equipment is due to be installed this summer....new cameras and computers, etc......and in the fall it will be turned back on and the feed on-line will be re-established.  It's my understanding that the millions of viewers have been quite generous with their contributions so new equipment is possible.   In addition to repairs to the Eagle nest.....nesting boxes are being prepared for a couple of other species of birds.

We were wandering around the Hobby Lobby store the other day and spotted this fellow.....(half-price)....who now has a new home on our fireplace mantle in our living room:

IMG_2829B (3).jpg

Sorry about the bad lighting.  It was a grab shot with flash.  We've since added a couple of tiny U.S. flags....one on each side....to make an extra statement.  Fairly well done little statue considering the very reasonable price.  About 15" high.

And last....but definitely not least.....the story of D-1....the female Bald Eagle from last year's clutch of 3 eggs.  She is the one with the transponder attached to her and WOW has she ever gone traveling this summer:

D1 Update: 06/12/12
D1 keeps on going - she has almost reached Hudson Bay! Since leaving Iowa on 5/3, D1 has traveled an amazing 1275 miles (846 straight-line miles).
For more details, go to http://www.raptorresource.org/maps/latest.php

Can you believe THAT?  This one bird has traveled that far.....to go so many miles north to Hudson Bay?    I wonder how far south she will return in the fall.  Will she come back to the NE Iowa....Decorah area?   Time will tell if the transponder keeps working.

[ Edited ]
216 of 264 (1,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2012 12:39:26 AM
(0)
Expert

Thanks for the updates, and can't believe I didn't have more time to check on the new bunch. :smileysad:

217 of 264 (1,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2012 10:25:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Jul 5, 2012 at 10:28:35 PM

:smileysad: Sad News :smileysad:

We are very sorry to announce that D12 is dead. D12 was found electrocuted at the base of a power pole.

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

Note: My wife informed me of this tragic news.  The live feed seems down til next year (?) and they are showing clips of the past season.

[ Edited ]
218 of 264 (1,360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

219 of 264 (1,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2012 1:27:54 PM
(0)
Expert

Heartbreaking.  :smileysad:  Nature is cruel.

220 of 264 (1,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2012 2:05:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

spd2demun wrote:

Unfortunately man had a hand in this..........

221 of 264 (1,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2012 6:16:59 PM
(0)
Expert
The article says that Alliant Energy (the power company there) voluntarily installed some extra insulators on several of the poles in the area to try to prevent a recurrence. That's commendable -- many power companies wouldn't have lifted a finger.

222 of 264 (1,371 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2012 7:40:02 PM
(0)
Expert

Yes, I read about that in another article after I posted.  :smileymad:

dhascall wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

Unfortunately man had a hand in this..........

223 of 264 (1,372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2012 10:19:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:
The article says that Alliant Energy (the power company there) voluntarily installed some extra insulators on several of the poles in the area to try to prevent a recurrence. That's commendable -- many power companies wouldn't have lifted a finger.

That is very true.  

224 of 264 (1,367 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2012 11:02:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Jul 7, 2012 at 11:02:43 AM

That power company was fully aware that their lines were running through a preserve.  It might haven take some preventative action earlier.  But I guess later is better tha never.  Hopefully nothing happens to mom or pop in the interim between families.

Earth's terminal disease ------humanity.    That's still my opinion and I doubt that it ever changes.

[ Edited ]
225 of 264 (1,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 11, 2012 8:04:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

hpmsrm wrote:

That power company was fully aware that their lines were running through a preserve.  It might haven take some preventative action earlier.  But I guess later is better tha never.  Hopefully nothing happens to mom or pop in the interim between families.

Earth's terminal disease ------humanity.    That's still my opinion and I doubt that it ever changes.

Yup but Yellowstone could still erupt, an asteroid could strike, you just never know.  If those happen - it's been nice knowing you, lol.

226 of 264 (1,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 12, 2012 2:15:36 PM
(0)
Expert

Animals are nothing and can't vote, which is why humans get away with all the stuff they do. 

227 of 264 (1,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2012 10:09:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Sep 25, 2012 at 10:11:26 PM

It's been a while since we updated on Decorah, Iowa...American Bald Eagle D-1.  She was hatched back in 2011.  This past summer she made her way over 900 miles north to the western shore of Hudson's Bay in Canada.  You may remember that she is carrying a GSP locater beacon on her which activates every so often and sends her location back to Decorah via satellite.

But now.....she appears to be headed home.  Last REPORT is that she has reached the north shore area of Lake Superior.....still in Canada of course.  She then made a slight jog to the north  so I'm wondering if she will try to fly south over Lake Superior or find her way around it to the west....and then back into Minnesota.  It's going to be interesting.  If you click on the link and go to the map....you can zoom in on her current location for more detail.

According to the experts....these bald eagles rarely return to the nest where they were hatched.  BUT she might come back to the NE Iowa area around Decorah.  Perhaps even further south....if she is smart.

The male eagle from 2012 family....D-14.....is also outfitted with a transponder.  He did not fly all that far from home this summer.  Perhaps he'll be more adventurous next summer.

But WOW  .....to fly almost 1,000 miles north and now nearly 1,000 miles back to Iowa if she comes that far.  THAT's alot of flying even for a big bird like the American Eagle.

[ Edited ]
228 of 264 (1,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 26, 2012 7:59:18 AM
(0)
Master

Interesting Phil. Yeah, it's my understanding young eagles don't return to the nest where they were born but often return to the same area when of breeding age.

Agree, that's a long way for a big bird like a Bald Eagle to fly! Bet they catch the wind currents though whenever they can much like vultures. But unlike vultures who hardly flap their wings when flying high on the wind currents eagles tend to flap their wings in flight burning energy. Thus the reason they have to stop and hunt for food more often. And this flapping wings trait is often used for indentifying large eagles and hawks at a distance while not mistaking them for vultures who almost always glide.

229 of 264 (1,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 4, 2012 8:30:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

OK.  It appears that our girl may be on the move again.  Time will tell.  After heading south from Hudson's Bay she arrived at the north shore of Lake Superior and has been hanging around there for a while.  I think it's too far across the lake for an eagle to fly non-stop.  But the latest location shows that she may have started westward.  Perhaps she'll fly around the west end of the lake and head south to Iowa. It's a lot of miles.  Probably around 1,000 mi. from where she spent the summer....back to the Decorah, IA area.

http://www.raptorresource.org/maps/latest.php

230 of 264 (1,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2012 9:13:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

After considerable time resting up after her arrival at the N. shore of Lake Superior.....having flown south from her summer spot on Hudson's Bay.....Bald Eagle D-1 has now started working her way SW down the north shore of the Lake.  I presume she'll go around the west end of the lake and then head south through Minnesota....back to the Decorah, Iowa area where she was hatched.   This has been a fabulous adventure for this bird.  In the October 16 update it shows that she flew 81 miles down the N. shore over a 30 hour period.  So....it looks like she's headed home.   Must have been getting too cold up there in Canada.

231 of 264 (877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 25, 2012 1:36:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Bald Eagle D-1 continues to make her way home.  She has flown on SW and cut across the western point of Lake Superior....just east of Duluth, MN.   Now she has found her way almost straight south and is about 190 miles from the natal nest near Decorah, Iowa.  So our travelin' girl is almost home.  What a monumental trip that was this summer for this young Eagle....all the way north to the western shore of Hudson's Bay in Canada.  She's only about a year and a half old.  So it will be another 2 to 3 years before she takes a mate and starts raising eaglets of her own.  I believe the experts on the site have indicated that the females begin to breed at around 4 yrs. of age.

232 of 264 (839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 26, 2012 11:08:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Oh me.  The folks at the preserve near Decorah, Iowa got all their new camera gear and other equipment set up to observe the Bald Eagle pair this next spring.  The camera seems to be up and running tonight.  They've been watching and mom and pop have been doing some repairs to the nest.  BUT.....there is a problem.  Apparently it is not at all unusual for Bald Eagles to build an alternate nest and guess what.  These two have started work on nest #2......apparently in a different tree or, at least, a different location in the same tree as nest #1.  Anyway......we won't know which nest they will choose to start their 2013 family until it happens.  The preserve folks say there is no way they can afford to set up a second set of camera gear so....if the birds choose nest #2 we fans will be out of luck in 2013.  Here's their statement:

October 26, 2012: The Decorah Eagles Have Surprised Us With A New Nest

In addition to working on their current nest, the Decorah Eagles have begun building an alternate nest. Multiple nest building is fairly common among Bald eagles and we don't yet know which nest they will choose for 2013. We absolutely cannot install cameras at the new nest tree this year, so we may not see the Decorah Eagles for the rest of the 2012-2013 season. We'll miss watching them online, but it is exciting to see them building their new nest. Once again, Mom and Dad are giving us fresh insights into the lives of bald eagles! Stay tuned for updates and information as the season progresses. If the eagles choose the new nest, we will post images and possibly video to facebook and our blog.

For more on the Decorah nest and multiple nest building by Bald eagles, please see this new post: http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-decorah-eagles-have-surprised-us.html

233 of 264 (821 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2012 6:25:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The Sooner Lake Oklahoma built or should I say commadeered a different nest a couple of years ago. Luckily they were able to get cameras up at both sites so each nest was covered.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

234 of 264 (811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 29, 2012 6:21:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I understand the Decorah eagles are in broadcast carriage talks and will not disclose which nest they will use until they reach an agreement with the web site owners.

235 of 264 (776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 29, 2012 6:54:01 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Oct 29, 2012 at 6:54:30 AM

AT&T probably offered to put them on HDPT, while the eagles are demanding to be on U200 and higher.

I believe Comcast already agreed to carriage but will raise rates to compensate.

Dish has already broken off talks and will no longer negotiate.

[ Edited ]
236 of 264 (772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 30, 2012 8:22:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

AT&T are viewing these additional nests as subchannels and they plan to stay away from all but the "parent" (pun intended) channel.

237 of 264 (759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2012 7:58:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Our traveling girl is back in Iowa.  Latest satellite fixes show that she is just north of Elkader, Iowa.....sticking close to the Turkey river.  Good source of fish and it is also fairly rugged country in that part of Iowa with lots of woods and probably lots of prey for a hungry bald eagle.   Actually she overshot her mark and had to turn around and head back NNW.  She is about 34 miles SE of Decorah, Iowa and the natal nest area.  Wonder if she called ahead to let dad and mom know she is coming home?:smileyvery-happy:

I guess I'd have to say that this has been fun for me....following her flight all the way north about 1,000 miles to Hudson's Bay in Canada and then back home.   Just amazing.  Truly amazing.

238 of 264 (672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2012 5:47:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Nov 27, 2012 at 5:48:22 PM

Photos of them working on the second nest have been posted:  http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

Unfortunately there will be no way to get a camera up there if they decide to use it this year.

[ Edited ]
239 of 264 (604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 28, 2012 9:07:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Although the Decorah Eagle Camera is the most widely known "eagle cam" on Ustream, there are others.  There is usually something to watch on Ustream, 24/7, from an Oasis pool in Africa to the Feline Rescue Center in Ohio, to Sea Eagles in Australia.  Cool site and cool Android app!

240 of 264 (588 Views)