Posted Apr 3, 2011
4:18:35 PM
Iowa Bald Eagles ready to hatch their eggs. LIVE!

Two Eagles....in the nest.....with eggs just about to hatch.  I believe it is a live video.  I noticed that there are an awful lot of folks watching.  This is in NE Iowa near the town of Decorah.  NE Iowa is pretty much dairy country....hilly and lots of forest and woods with cliffs and rock formations.  Not too far from the Mississippi River.   Have a look while it is is still daylight.

I rushed to get this posted for all our wildlife lovers. Hope I'm correct on my facts.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
263 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(263)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 16, 2011 4:38:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Jun 16, 2011 at 4:47:56 PM

That was a parent on the limb earlier but the third one JUST branched!

Family.JPG

The whole family is out there.  One of the juvies is right behind the parent on the limb to the right.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Decorah, Iowa Eagles

[ Edited ]
91 of 264 (666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 16, 2011 5:19:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Tonight....about 7:10 PM

Eagles in tree.jpg

Kind of hard to see through the leaves.  I count 3 and I don't believe any of them are parents.  Wonder if they'll sit out there all night trying to work up their nerve.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

92 of 264 (656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 16, 2011 5:51:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The parents sat out there with them for a bit and then left.  Yes, that's all 3 of the kiddos. 

The one on the lowest part of the branch on the left was the last one to hop on out there to join the other two.  He fused and yelled in the nest and finally 'took the plunge'.  It was too cute.

I'm going to watch and see if they manage to hop, hop, hop back to the nest.  It makes me think of a kitten that'll climb a tree and then cry because they can't figure out how to get down.

93 of 264 (653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 16, 2011 8:42:15 PM
(0)
Expert

Thanks for the photos!  I hope I don't miss their first flight!

94 of 264 (644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 16, 2011 9:00:10 PM
(0)
Master

Amazing how much the juvenile's look like Golden Eagles and guess that's what they are often mistaken for.

I too would really like to see their 1st flight. :smileyhappy:

95 of 264 (639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 17, 2011 3:25:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I was just checking and only two of the Eaglets were out on the main limb.  Then....all of a sudden...from lower-right frame the third one came probably from the nest and flew the short distance across open space to the branch that extends to the left.  So it isn't going to be long now.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

96 of 264 (623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 18, 2011 1:24:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
This is awesome! We all feel like doting parents.

97 of 264 (612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 18, 2011 1:45:33 PM
(0)
Expert
I'm going to worry about them when they fledge!

The guy on the site said they plan to radio tag at least on of the kids about 2-3 weeks after they've been out of the nest. He said so many people have asked what happened to the ones from last year, and he cannot answer that question.

98 of 264 (610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 19, 2011 10:13:32 AM
(0)
Guru

99 of 264 (597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 20, 2011 1:19:03 PM
(0)
Expert

Surely someone caught a photo on the site?  I couldn't find one. :smileysad:

I was watching them at 7:30A today from dr's. office and the bigger one flew over to the branch with the other two, but then my i-device's battery died.

100 of 264 (587 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 29, 2011 1:29:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

What with my problems generated by upgrading my laptop to FF 5.....I've missed out on a few days of the Eaglets adventures.  But I was just over there and no birds on the tree limbs.  But I could hear them screeching off in the distance.  Then, all of a sudden, one of the babies came swooping in from the right side and flew past the camera.....probably landing in the nest...which I think is behind it.  Anyway he/she was so excited and enjoying the flying so much that it would not stop screeching.  Then, in the distance, an answering call and all of a sudden another of the eaglets swooped in and landed on the limb...further out and in front of the camera.   It would appear that all are now actively flying around the area.  I presume that mom and dad will now begin their education in hunting game for mealtimes.

It's been an amazing few weeks watching all this from mom and pop sitting on the eggs....through the hatching of the babies.....then their growth to full size and now away they go doing what eagles do best.  These two adults must be really good parents.  I think I remember it being commented on that this was their 4th family...but don't quote me on that.

101 of 264 (656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 29, 2011 2:00:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Is fun to hear those 'babies' squawkin' when they're hungry.  I'm sure Mom & Dad are just about ready to teach them to hunt!

It'll be bittersweet once they're on their own and we won't get to watch anymore.  Yes, this is the 4th time they've raised their brood successfully:

"What is the history of this pair?
They have been together since the winter of 2007-2008. Her markings at that time indicated that she was about 4 years old. They successfully hatched and fledged 2 eaglets in 2008, then 3 in 2009, and 3 more in 2010.

102 of 264 (649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 1, 2011 9:33:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yep....they're quite a pair.  Too bad human kids can't be raised so quickly....taught to walk....and then shoved out of the nest to make their own way.  Sure would be a lot cheaper.:smileyvery-happy:

I just checked over there again a few minutes ago.  All three of the kids are in the nest sqreeching their heads off.....presumably for mom and/or dad to bring lunch.  I noticed that one of the "voices" is noticeably lower pitched than the others.  Perhaps the male?  Heck....what I know about birds does not extend beyond having to clean their deposits off my car windhield.

103 of 264 (642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 1, 2011 3:05:07 PM
(0)
Expert

Look quick--all 3 are out on the branches now.

Picture is very blurry/pixelated, so I didn't screenshot (but and ad popped under for UVTV!).

I can't believe they're going back to the nest!  That must have been a sight!

I checked on them at the doctor's office last week, and they were nowhere to be seen.  I read that the cam will stay up as long as the birds are being seen.

Yeah, I hear that about out of the nest and for cheap! :smileyvery-happy:

104 of 264 (637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 1, 2011 3:17:58 PM
(0)
Expert

Mom or Dad just landed in the nest, they all started screaming (and are still doing it!); flew to the nest, the parent flew to the branch.  Too funny!  Wow, are they loud!!!

105 of 264 (633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 3, 2011 12:34:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I think the reason they returned to the nest the other day was because the wind was blowing hard and very gusty.  Perhaps difficult maintaining balance out on that big swing-and-sway limb.  Yep.  They are a noisy group.

106 of 264 (623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 28, 2011 11:39:19 AM
(0)
Expert

Looks like they have successfully banded one (female), and here is a vid of her release on July 12th.

Several other vids after you view that one.

BTW, my HSI is buffering all over the place and can barely watch...anyone else, or is it YTs problem?

107 of 264 (615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 28, 2011 9:06:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I've noticed the same problem SPD.  But I think it's on their end.  By the way I would not be surprised if they cut the live feed off pretty soon.  I read that another go-round usually happens in the fall.  This male/female pair seem to be really good parents.

108 of 264 (608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 29, 2011 10:29:05 AM
(0)
Guru

Thanks for that link, Spd.  You don't realize how big they are 'til you see a person carrying one.  Love the other vid of the eaglet jumping around with a fish in it's talons!

109 of 264 (600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 29, 2011 2:33:06 PM
(0)
Expert

What I wouldn't give to hold one! :smileyvery-happy:  Just add to the scratches from a lifetime of cats.

I read they ARE taking the feed down July 31st (until the parents come back to repeat the process again).

110 of 264 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2011 10:22:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Do they nest / hatch babies each year?  That will be a hoot (no pun intended but I'm sure that the area owls are worried (and screeching pun intended) to see next year.  My Mom got to see this year's webcast before she passed and the wife and I watched them in several waiting rooms, this past spring, to pass the time.

111 of 264 (640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2011 12:29:03 PM
(0)
Expert

Yes, and that is their plan to bring the cams back online when they come back.  IIRC, I think they have been watching this pair for 3 years?

They said yesterday would be the last day (until the next breeding), but see they are still live. I miss them already.

I used to always watch them while at the doc's office, and that's been a lot this year. :smileysad:

It will be interesting to find out how the one they banded does during the harsh winter.

There is a Goodbye video for 2011, here:

112 of 264 (636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2011 7:49:52 AM
(0)
Observer
Edited by seaparl45 on Dec 29, 2011 at 7:52:28 AM

Your discussion is really nice.I need to discuss some more.Eagle flies with all its glory that has been bestowed to it by the GOD. Among the flying animals, it is considered as the bravest and liked the most for this quality. There are many species of eagles in the world. One of them is the American bald eagle. Despite of its being an eagle, there are many other facts that are not known to many.

Re: Iowa Bald Eagles ready to hatch their eggs. LIVE!

[ Edited ]
113 of 264 (626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2011 3:53:27 PM
(0)
Employee

Welcome seaparl45 Thanks for adding to the discussion.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

114 of 264 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2011 4:01:27 PM
(0)
Expert
I checked yesterday and nothing but wind.

115 of 264 (616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2011 5:16:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Mom & Dad have been sprucing up the nest.

116 of 264 (612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2011 7:09:49 PM
(0)
Expert

You have seen them?

skeeterintexas wrote:

Mom & Dad have been sprucing up the nest.

117 of 264 (607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2011 8:02:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I haven't seen them but some in the chatroom talk like they've been around. 

And if you look at the nest now, there are more twigs around the edge than when the last eaglet fledged.

118 of 264 (605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2011 8:16:39 PM
(0)
Expert

OK, thanks; guess we'll have to look for screenshots to post again this time!

119 of 264 (601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2011 9:22:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Do a little search there on the site and there is a "slide show" of stills that show mom and dad working occasionally on the nest.  According to the folks who run the project, the adults don't spend much time around the nest during the winter.

More fascinating is the fact that Bald Eagle D-1....the one that has the transponder on her....has returned to a spot just a few miles east of her starting point (where she was hatched) outside of Decorah, IA.  She made a 700 mile trip since leaving the area....all the way to northern Minnesota with time spent also in Wisconsin.  Have a look at the latest map.

Of the three eaglets that were hatched last spring D-1 is the only one with the transponder attached to it.  It will be interesting to see if D-1 returns to the nest or the immediate area where the parents still remain.

I guess I'm especially interested in this Decorah project because, before my retirement, I was state director of tourism for Iowa.  So I'm familiar with the area.

120 of 264 (599 Views)