Posted Apr 3, 2011
4:18:35 PM
View profile
Iowa Bald Eagles ready to hatch their eggs. LIVE!
Edited by hpmsrm on Apr 3, 2011 at 4:23:07 PM

Two Eagles....in the nest.....with eggs just about to hatch.  I believe it is a live video.  I noticed that there are an awful lot of folks watching.  This is in NE Iowa near the town of Decorah.  NE Iowa is pretty much dairy country....hilly and lots of forest and woods with cliffs and rock formations.  Not too far from the Mississippi River.   Have a look while it is is still daylight.

I rushed to get this posted for all our wildlife lovers. Hope I'm correct on my facts.

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Iowa Bald Eagles ready to hatch their eggs. LIVE!

[ Edited ]
263 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(263)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 5:37:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

THANKS!  I saw the babies until they settled down for the night.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Iowa Bald Eagles ready to hatch their eggs. LIVE!

2 of 264 (2,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 7:19:36 PM
(0)
Master

Nice Phil. I saw the story on the national news tonight of this nest and they showed the live feed. Guess they had 11 million hits before and now that it's national news there's bound to be more. Here's a news story on the nest but it isn't the particular one I saw earlier tonight.

It has to be dark there now and I'm seeing one of the adult eagles sitting there and looks like it's trying to go to sleep. I hope to heck they don't have a spotlight on this nest all night just so people can see them! Believe it would not be natural at all and would disrupt the eagles natural behavior. :smileysad:

3 of 264 (2,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 7:38:26 PM
(0)
Expert

Infrared camera.  No visible light.  :smileyhappy:

4 of 264 (2,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 8:40:24 PM
(0)
Master

Good point and don't know why I didn't think of that. :smileywink:

5 of 264 (2,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 8:49:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

When I took my first look....both adults were in the nest.  I don't know how one tells which was male and which was female.  I thought one was a little bit larger than the other.

I wonder where #2 is tonight.  Perhaps sitting on a branch keeping an eye out for problems?  You can see the feathers blowing in the breeze.

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking

6 of 264 (2,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 9:42:28 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Uniblurb3 on Apr 3, 2011 at 10:04:46 PM

Phil, with all eagles, hawks and owls the female is always larger than the male.

This info/FAQ's is under the feed picture:

"Which is the male and which is the female? It is hard to tell the difference unless they are both on the nest. The female is larger than the male. This female has a ridge above her eyes that goes further back than on the male, and her eyes are surrounded by a greyish shadow; the male has a line around his eyes that makes them look “beadier.” Some think that the male’s head is “sleeker” than the female’s."

I think both birds are in the nest and you can see the tail/wing of one on the bottom left. Believe the one facing the camera is the female and I saw her push an egg under the front of her earlier. And just now I saw one of the eaglets pop out from under the front of her and tried take a screen shot.

Bummer, Max file size limit is 333K and screen shot is 357K. Can't really see the chick that well anyhow. Would try to reduce the screen shot size but it looks like it takes the whole feed frame in instead of just a part of the picture. You'll have to give it a try Mr. Edit. :smileywink:

I hope watching this live feed isn't like streaming in a Netflix movie and uses up all my 250Kb allotment per month. :smileysurprised: 

edit: tried to reduce photo size and really hard to see the light chick at the base of mom under her chest. Also blurry because it was moving.

Decorah Eagles, Ustream.TV  First hatch 4_2_11. 24-hour collage of first egg pip and hatch Second hatch 4_3_2011. First glimpse of second hatchling Thi....png

[ Edited ]
7 of 264 (1,990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 2:51:18 AM
(0)
Expert

I appreciate the photo, since I missed the event. :smileysad:

8 of 264 (1,967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 4:34:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I watched Momma wake up this morning.  The sleepy look in her eyes was one I've had myself a time or two when my "chicks" were babies!

9 of 264 (1,961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 4:49:29 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Apr 4, 2011 at 4:53:00 AM

:smileyvery-happy:

Is that mom in the nest now?  AMAZING!!!!

ABC13 just showed the live feed.

[ Edited ]
10 of 264 (1,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 4:57:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Apr 4, 2011 at 4:58:41 AM

spd2demun wrote:

Is that mom in the nest now?  AMAZING!!!!

I'm assuming since she was there all night (not normal for Dad...at least at MY house!).  When she woke up, she moved over to the prey and got a bite to eat but one of the babies was trying to move towards her so she sat on top of them again.

As a mother of two myself, I could hear her now:

"I'm going to get a bite to eat before they wake up.  Oh darn, they're awake.  What?  Get back in that nest....Oh geez, I'm coming...   Where is your father?  I sent him out for breakfast.  He better hurry up.  I'm hungry and I can't leave these two alone."

[ Edited ]
11 of 264 (1,687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 5:10:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks Phil.  I'm officially obsessed with these birds now!

The feathers at the bottom left of the screen is the prey one of them brought back to the nest. 

Dinner's ready!

12 of 264 (1,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 8:38:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I presume you all have checked out some of the other video feeds that are listed on this site.  Some are live cams...some are recorded.  Interesting.  One is a camera focused on a bunch of pheasant eggs.  Some have hatched and the babies are moving around.  It's a grade school class project.

I also was wondering how much of this Decorah Eagle feed I can watch without exceeding my allocated 250gb.

The wonders of the Internet!

And to think......as a kid I felt lucky to have a radio to listen to.....and I was enthralled by my crystal set. Now?  footwash2.gif Well you get the idea.

13 of 264 (1,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 8:55:01 AM
(0)
Master

Phil, as soon as you posted this thread I thought back to OUfan's "Bald Eagle Web Cams" thread he started some time ago. Wow, if you click on the link to the Vian, Oklahoma, site in his post you can see 2 large juvenile eagles sitting in the nest. Glad they made it through all the harsh snow/record cold and looks like they are just waiting for their next meal. :smileyhappy:

14 of 264 (1,653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 11:16:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Apr 4, 2011 at 11:28:12 AM

I took a look, Uni.  Kind of looks like right now they are huddled together taking a nap.  I don't know what the temperature is down there right now.

I imagine it's pretty chilly up in Decorah, Iowa.  That cold front that moved through has dropped our temperatures here in Missouri by 40 degrees.  48.3 deg. right now.  Yesterday it was around 88 deg.  Sure glad I don't have to huddle out there on a tree limb trying to keep warm.:smileyhappy:

Edit: I was just watching mom peeling pieces of meat off what appears to be new food. It looks like it has 4 legs.  Pop must have gone hunting and brought it back to the nest for her.  Amazing to watch her settle over the little ones again and then feed them.  I wonder if she just drops pieces of the meat into their open mouths or does she regurgitate it.  I got a brief glimpse of one little light gray baby with black beak and eyes.

[ Edited ]
15 of 264 (1,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 11:59:59 AM
(0)
Master

Phil, those eagles in Vian, Oklahoma, may be a little chilly but it has too be a whole lot better out there than when it was it was a record low of -27, w/chill factor temps even lower, on Feb 10, 2011. I remember watching the parent birds in blizzard conditions and than it became so cold the web cams shut down.

Unbelievable how hardy/tough Bald Eagles are to have a successful nesting season under such adverse/harsh weather conditions. :smileywink:

Iowa web cam: Well it looks like one of the birds caught some dinner (rabbit?) that's now in the nest with a parent bird. Think it's interesting in the view (not my screen shot because it's cropped) you can see a road in the top right corner and last night I saw car headlights go by in the dark.

I'm sure some may not want to see this screen shot but preditor/prey is just part of nature.

Eagle web cam with rabbit, 4-4-11.png

16 of 264 (1,635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 3:23:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

She is feeding the two babies right now. 5:22 PM CDT.  Picking meat off the carcass and putting in the eaglet's mouth.  The view is perfect.

#3 apparently has not hatched yet.  Hope it does soon.

17 of 264 (1,621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 4:30:09 PM
(0)
Expert

#3 egg was laid about 4 days after #2 egg, so it may hatch correspondingly later.

18 of 264 (1,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 5:45:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Apr 4, 2011 at 6:16:05 PM

Have you noticed the enormous number of viewers?

Edit: 8:30 PM CDT.  Poor mom.  Saw her yawn several times. Now all is quiet.  It's dark and she's having a problem staying awake.

[ Edited ]
19 of 264 (1,602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2011 10:42:00 AM
(0)
Expert

Yes, I did notice yesterday!

Took a few screenshots at various times.  When mom (?) was falling asleep, it was so people-like!  Our pet duck would do the same thing with burrowing her beak in her back feathers when it was chilly.

note--prey edited out, especially the mammal in the last one. :-(

eagle.jpg

babies.jpg

feeding.jpg

sleeip.jpg

20 of 264 (1,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2011 11:11:26 AM
(0)
Guru

Nice pics, Spd.  Just took a look and it sounds like a Dove cooing in the background -- mama eagle's looking aroud like she would like to silence it!  Amazing to be able to watch this!

Thanks, Phil for putting that up.  They even have it on the yahoo home page today!

21 of 264 (1,610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 8:06:22 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Apr 6, 2011 at 8:13:11 AM

LOOK NOW!!!

The babies are out, and hollering to be fed!  Where's dad?

BTW, sad to hear all the car noise in the background.  :smileysad:  Looks like a busy road near the

nest.

edit to add a photo--wasn't quick enough to get the mouth open (note road in back; camera moved angle, and they did zoom on the babies earlier)

baby.jpg

[ Edited ]
22 of 264 (1,591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 9:18:00 AM
(0)
Expert

untitled2.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled4.jpg

untitled5.jpg

23 of 264 (1,585 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 10:50:35 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Apr 6, 2011 at 11:21:14 AM

I'm working...really!  Each time I hear a bird squawk, I bring up the live feed. :smileywink:

Mom (?) was warning something overhead to go away!

untitled6.jpg

update--she felt threatened enough later to stand up, then flew away for a few seconds!  Babies look stunned!

untitled7.jpg

untitled8.jpg

[ Edited ]
24 of 264 (1,574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 1:20:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

3:19 PM CDT.   The babies are getting restless and mom is having a bit of a problem keeping them corraled under her body.  Wonder if it's getting to be meal time.   Haven't see pop today.  He ought to be showing up with some fresh food shouldn't he?

25 of 264 (1,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 4:57:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

6:50 PM CDT:   I just switched back to check on the eaglets and got there just in time to see mom move off of them.....and #3 was just breaking completely out of its egg.  It emerged just before she moved back and blocked the camera view.   I did notice that dad must have returned and deposited dinner in the nest.  That is why she moved.....to get a bite of meat which she swallowed herself.  One of the little ones started to move her direction and the look on its face was "where is my bite".  I see that look on Alfie's face a lot.   I was hoping I'd get to see the third one hatch and I got lucky.  I think mom is old enough and has done this enough times that she is really good at taking care of them.

So now we have three new American Eagles.  How long before they get big enough to leave the nest?

26 of 264 (1,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 5:16:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I had the chat window open earlier.  They refer to the larger of the babies as E1 and the smaller one E2 and I'm assuming when the third one appears, it'll be E3.

E1 is a handful.  Momma has to keep dragging the nesting material closer to her body to keep him in check, not unlike a baby gate!

27 of 264 (1,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 5:34:41 PM
(0)
Expert

:smileyvery-happy:  Not unlike human kids!  Except poor mom doesn't get a sitter. :smileysad:

I had to leave, but looks like he brought her a fish?

28 of 264 (1,521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 7:18:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Welcome E3, hatched last evening (Wed.) around 7:00pm.

29 of 264 (1,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 9:55:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

skeeterintexas wrote:

Welcome E3, hatched last evening (Wed.) around 7:00pm.

Yep.  See my post above.

30 of 264 (1,491 Views)