Posted May 22, 2013
6:01:04 PM
In loving memory

P1000641B.jpg

Morgan's Alfie....of Misty Glen

February 21, 2000 - May 22, 2013

No man could have a better, more faithful friend.  I shall cry myself to sleep tonight.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

In loving memory

19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 22, 2013 6:39:31 PM
(0)
Guru

hp, I am truly very sorry to hear of your loss.  I, too, am a dog lover and I know that Alfie had a wonderful life.  Experience has taught me that words cannot alleviate grief.   But I hope that you will find some solace in all the good memories you must have, and in how much you and Alfie meant to each other.  My sincere sympathies,

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

Re: In loving memory

2 of 20 (976 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 22, 2013 11:33:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sorry Phil, I know what it's like.  My late lady friend's dogs all adored me and I adored them.  Cried after each and then she'd swear, not another one to go thru the heartbreak again. :smileysad:

Of course first there was Cliffie McGiffie then Schautze then Snickers and finally poor little Mayberry (got him after her mother died).  Mayberry died and she passed not much longer after that.

All during this time, there were a number of cats always around.  When Cliffie McGiffe got attacked by a larger dog, all the cats at the time came out trying to attack the dog that was going after Cliffie. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 20 (950 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013 7:36:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

So sorry, Phil.  I know how much he meant to you guys.

Gizzie Hascall and I will say a special prayer, tonight.

4 of 20 (922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013 9:35:32 AM
(0)

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

I know what a good friend Alfie was to you.

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

5 of 20 (909 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013 10:29:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

mibrnsurg wrote:

Sorry Phil, I know what it's like.  My late lady friend's dogs all adored me and I adored them.  Cried after each and then she'd swear, not another one to go thru the heartbreak again. :smileysad:

Of course first there was Cliffie McGiffie then Schautze then Snickers and finally poor little Mayberry (got him after her mother died).  Mayberry died and she passed not much longer after that.

All during this time, there were a number of cats always around.  When Cliffie McGiffe got attacked by a larger dog, all the cats at the time came out trying to attack the dog that was going after Cliffie. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

After Mandy lived 'til 18,  we vowed we'd never do it again and we held true with that course until the neighbors asked if we would like to adopt Gizmo, another Shih Tzu  When we first saw Gizzie, he was so shaggy and filthy.  The neighbors daughter-in-law had given him to a co-worker and the co-worker said that she was moving and she had no room for him.  He had 8 homes in his first 12 months!  My heart still breaks thinking about what he must have went through with all of those changes.  Why can't pet owners all be like Phil and most of us on here?  Gizzie has been a Hascall since December 2008.  He still is a finnicky eater and I have wondered if he was tortured for begging?  But he is now "my son" and I love him dearly just like Phil loved Alfie.  Sad.  Can't wait to get home to Giz and hug him.

6 of 20 (903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013 4:44:13 PM
(0)
Expert
Very sorry to hear that, Phil. I know you cared for him a lot.

7 of 20 (888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013 4:58:36 PM
(0)

So sorry over the loss of your fur baby. :smileysad:

8 of 20 (884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013 8:35:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Awww..I'm SO sorry to hear about Alfie, Phil. :smileysad: I know you and Alfie were great friends and you took such good care of him. Loved seeing his pictures. 

I'm sure you'll miss him a lot...I've been there with a few of my own. That's probably why I haven't had another one in 20 years...just didn't want to do that again until 2 weeks ago...now I'm an owner of a 3 year old Silky Terrier and she has brought such joy to us. I know that day will come again when we'll have to say good bye and I'm not looking forward to it already but for now, we'll just enjoy her.

Take care, Phil. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

9 of 20 (873 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 24, 2013 3:22:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on May 24, 2013 at 3:27:27 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts and sympathy.  Indeed.....Alfie was my very close buddy.  He got me up every morning to take our walks before our breakfasts and he followed me all over the house most of the time.  Recently our walks became shorter and slower.  But I thought was mostly because I'm slowing down so severely (pulmonary fibrosis).  He was 13 in February.  But seemed in pretty good health.  This past Tuesday I took him to the vet for his annual checkup and shots...to keep them current.  He seemed OK except didn't eat to well that night.  That did not seem out of the ordinary because after his shots he usually did go through a 24 hr. period of not feeling too whoopy.   Then, on Wednesday....after our walk and light breakfast....we were off to the grooming salon at the PetSmart Store where he was excited as usual to see his groomer.  A great young lady who had been taking care of him for several years.  She had the patience and calmness to put up with his antics and his rather strong resistance to being groomed.    I arrived back at the store just as she was finishing up with him.   I wandered around, out of his sight, because when he would see me he got more difficult for her to handle.   Then I circled back....he was standing quietly and she was trimming his skirt.  All of a sudden he laid down and didn't move.  She was alarmed and I went into the salon to check.  His tongue was turning white-ish gray and he was almost comatose.   Both vets in the clinic adjacent to the store were out to lunch so it was a 15 minute, speed limit breaking drive to the nearest full service vet clinic/hospital. (part of the group that I usually took him to).   The groomer went with me to hold him in her lap.  I called ahead and they were waiting for us.  Two vets, one assistant and me hovered around him as they put him on oxygen, intravenous liquid and gave him a shot to stimulate his heart.  They X-rayed him and performand an ultrasound exam.  His abdominal cavity was full of blood...but they could not determine the cause.....perhaps a blown out arterial aneurysm or, perhaps a problem with the spleen. (they love to bleed)  Anyway it was pretty much too late so, as I held his head and scratched his cheek (a favorite spot of his) the doctors went on with the shots to put him to sleep and then to stop the heart painlessly.  And he went to sleep......and I sobbed.   While I was expecting this might happen soon.....perhaps sometime in next year or so......THIS came totally unexpected.    Alfie was my last little buddy.  Another dog would probably end up being full responsibility of my wife after I'm gone.  So..........my prayer is that he'll be anxiously waiting for me when I get there.

Thank you again, my friends, for your kind thoughts and prayers.  They help more than you can imagine.  I think this was the last photo I took of him on April 2, 2013:

P1000698A.jpg

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

[ Edited ]
10 of 20 (823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 24, 2013 3:33:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Awww, Phil, you made me get all teary eyed. :smileysad: I'm SURE Alfie will be waiting for you someday, but not anytime soon, I hope. Take care of yourself. Alfie was a sweet little buddy.  

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

11 of 20 (817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 24, 2013 3:42:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

So sorry for you loss.

12 of 20 (813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 24, 2013 4:24:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Phil,

I too am saddened by your loss. I have loved hearing of the stories of you and Alfie.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

13 of 20 (800 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 25, 2013 4:03:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by RCSMG on May 25, 2013 at 4:04:38 PM

Phil, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your family member.  That is what he is, even though he physically isn't with you anymore.  Anyone who has been around here any length of time has, in some way or another, has taken Alfie as the Unofficial Uverse Pet.  I hope the pain of this loss will be extremely short lived, and the memories bring you great joy.  We will miss Alfie also.

[ Edited ]
14 of 20 (747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 25, 2013 5:51:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Phil, late (as usual) with this note, but I wanted to write to let you know sorry I am for your loss.

Jeff

15 of 20 (728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 25, 2013 7:26:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on May 25, 2013 at 7:29:20 PM

You are all wonderful friends.  Thank  you so much.  When all the kids have been gone for years....and it's just me and mom....a little guy like the Alf was a blessing.  He was super friendly.....with kids and adults....and other dogs if they did not threaten him.  Nearly everyone in the neighborhood has been tearful from my sad news.   Now we have to pick up the pieces.  Those being three different doggy beds and a portable kennel......various towels, mini-blankets and pillows he used at various times.....left over food which will probably go to one of the no-kill shelters here in our area.

Alfie was a pooch with an "attitude"......or as we fanciers of the West Highland White Terrier breed call it....."Westitude."   When asked to come....he usually did....but not before giving it careful consideration.  One could hear the gears going in his head.  A treat in my hand usually had some positive result in this matter.  We have quite an assortment of toys.....including his favorite squeaky balls.....the louder the squeak the better he liked it. 

Today I took the car to a quick wash....just to clean the outside...nothing inside this time.  When I pulled out the sun struck the passenger side window and there were all the Alfie nose smudges.  I had to pull over for a bit to recover from that one.

But I'm getting better.  As they say....time will help.  All of your support has been a blessing indeed.  I know I'm not nearly the only one to go through this....have done so myself in the past with other dogs.  But those were busier, working days and to be honest......Alfie was a unique pooch.

I may bribe myself into better mood by going and trading in my old DSLR for a new one.

[ Edited ]
16 of 20 (725 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 27, 2013 9:15:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

:smileysad::smileysad::smileysad::smileysad::smileysad::smileysad::smileysad::smileysad::smileysad::smileysad::smileysad:

Phil, I'm sorry for being late with this. I tried to reply twice before, but couldn't see to type as the eyes were to blurry by the time I got to the end of your posts. My sympathy goes out to you and your wife with hopes that your broken hearts will mend sometime soon. Having lost three in the last 15 years myself, I know the vast hole that has been left in your life and your soul, and although the pain will lessen with time, the memories will be there forever.

I know you said never again, so, when you drop off the food at the shelter, whatever you do, don't walk back to the kennels, and don't think about the dog back there that would be the luckiest dog in the world to have a chance at helping you recover from your loss.

It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are. ~Unknown

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

17 of 20 (690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 13, 2013 10:19:38 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Koolkid1935 on Jun 14, 2013 at 7:46:26 AM

Oh wow, Phil.  I'm so sorry to hear about Alfie.  I enjoyed seeing his pictures here and am sure he was a great dog to have around.

We had a scare with one of our little ones (Yorkie Terriers) a few weeks ago.  One of his hind kneecaps keeps slipping out of place then back in so he was limping on three legs most of the time.  Vet said it is an easy orthopedic procedure so we signed him up for it one Monday morning.  They had his leg all shaved ready to go and had his IV drip in.  They brought him to the OR and started giving him the anesthetic shot in his IV so they could get the tube in to give him the anesthetic gas and he went into cardiac arrest right there on the table.  The doctors (husband and wife team) started CPR right away and were able to get his heart started again after five minutes.  They cancelled all of their appointments for the rest of the day so they could focus on our little guy.  When my mom called me at work crying I knew immediately something was wrong and feared the worst.  One of the doctors was going to spend the night there at the vet's office as our dog was in the "ICU" so we decided we were going to stay there the whole night, too.  It was real touch and go most of the night as he was in a coma (not induced) for a good majority of the night.  Every now and then he'd stop breathing and we'd have to gently shake him and call his name to get him back...It's kind of strange...They say that when someone is in a coma they can still hear and I truly believe that to be the case after that night.  His O2 levels were way down even though they were giving him 100% oxygen most of the afternoon.  Every time we'd call his name the numbers would jump up into the 90s but would drop the minute we'd stop calling his name.  In fact, my sister was coming home from a trip to Disney World that night (my mom and I didn't have the heart to tell her the news while she was flying home).  It wasn't until she landed in Cody that I called her and told her we were still at the vet's office and to wait at the airport for me.  She was just going to drive home and surprise us.  When we got back to the vet's office Dirk (our dog) really snapped out of the coma for the first time since the incident, like as if somehow he knew she was there (he is kind of "her dog" and Ben, our other one, is "my dog", even though they're really everyone's dog).  He got better and better as the night progressed but was still in and out of a coma-like state even well into the morning.  He still wasn't eating or drinking on his own so the doctors took him home the next night so they could monitor him through the night.  The next day (day 3) he was doing better but still not able to walk on his own at all, we were able to take him home though we had to keep him in a plastic tote full of blankets and pillows so if he moved or flipped over he wouldn't hit the floor.  It was sad to see Ben's response when we got Dirk home, he didn't want anything to do with Dirk (they're biological brothers).  It took a lot of time to get them back together again.  We don't know if somehow Ben knew something happened to his brother or if maybe he thought he was a different/new dog to replace Dirk or what the deal was.  Now he's up and walking and to his normal self behavior wise, though since the surgery never happened he's still on the three legs, on occasion he'll put weight on the other leg.  Ben and Dirk are now fully reacquainted and back to their normal selves.

We still don't really know exactly what caused the problem.  The doctors crunched the numbers and at the drip rate his IV was on they figured out that the anesthetic they put through the IV tube never actually made it out of the drip tube when he went into cardiac arrest.  We get so attached to our four-legged family members that they are truly that -- a part of the family.  I remember a few years ago when we had to put our Schnauzer to sleep, I was devastated.  He was 16 and he had been with me since the first grade so we practically grew up together.  It's hard when they go but they make great companions while they're with us.

EDIT: Guess I never mentioned: the procedure was to fix his kneecap.

[ Edited ]
18 of 20 (610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 14, 2013 10:10:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Wow, KK, that was a Rollercoaster.

19 of 20 (586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 20, 2013 10:09:14 PM
(0)
Expert

Phil, I'm just reading this and so sorry to hear!  I know how special Alfie was to you, a real bud and you watched him grow up.  I'm at a loss for words and know the pain all too well.  :smileysad:

20 of 20 (410 Views)