Posted Oct 19, 2012
4:04:56 PM
View profile
I just learned from a ATT Uverse service tech:

1. Uverse DVR is moving to the cloud in Feb - Mar 2013. He said it would sever everyone in the US. They are building the structure just a few blocks from my house. It will be tested in Richardson Texas 1st. I have seen the building it is across the street from the ATT service tech  building

2. Sometime in 2013 they are going to start All wireless homes. No more cables to contend with. Squirrels will go hungry :smileysurprised:

3. He said we would have 8 HD steams early 2013. I am not sure if he was talking my area or the whole US. 

4. He said everyone will get Internet speed boost in 2013.

Fact or Fiction that is the question

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

27 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(27)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2012 6:15:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

All I can say is hmmmmmmm.......I'll believe it when I see it!!:smileywink:

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I just learned from a ATT Uverse service tech:

2 of 28 (3,907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2012 7:40:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

definately not going to hold my breath.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

3 of 28 (3,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2012 10:52:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Edited by Kong57 on Oct 19, 2012 at 10:53:28 PM

I know for a fact the building is under construction. lol

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!

[ Edited ]
4 of 28 (3,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2012 11:00:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

definately not going to hold my breath.

Me neither.  In fact...I'm not yet sold on the wireless STB's.  I have a friend in Texas who just moved from Tyler to Arlington.  He now has U-verse available to him and the install tech put wireless STB's in his home.  It took only two days for it to completely lose signal.  I suggested the usual 1st step, diagnoses with a power-off reboot of the STB but that did not help so he was going to have to get a tech back out to the house.

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking

5 of 28 (3,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2012 12:25:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Kong57 wrote:

I know for a fact the building is under construction. lol

Well ok, that's one confirmed fact. The rest, well I'll believe it when I see it.  I can see 8 streams, but not 8 HD streams.  When my service was first installed here in my new house in Aug. I had 3HD/4SD streams, now I'm back to 3/1.  Wish it would go back to 7 would make my life easier.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

6 of 28 (3,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2012 2:41:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Oct 20, 2012 at 2:44:22 PM

Kong57 wrote:

1. Uverse DVR is moving to the cloud in Feb - Mar 2013. He said it would sever everyone in the US. They are building the structure just a few blocks from my house. It will be tested in Richardson Texas 1st. I have seen the building it is across the street from the ATT service tech  building

2. Sometime in 2013 they are going to start All wireless homes. No more cables to contend with. Squirrels will go hungry :smileysurprised:

3. He said we would have 8 HD steams early 2013. I am not sure if he was talking my area or the whole US. 

4. He said everyone will get Internet speed boost in 2013.

Fact or Fiction that is the question

Most of what he told you is ridiculous, no wireless is as faultless as a wired connection and people would not put up w/the problems.

Moving the DVR to the cloud should turn it into an on demand system for when we want to watch shows at what time as in DVRng them.  But have to say the current VOD system needs much more improvement, shows are not posted in a timely manner.

There have been rumors of 7-8 streams for the last year or so, could happen in the cloud though. :smileywink:

Edit:  The biggest downer is ATT isn't spending any money on Uverse, it's all going to ATT Wireless.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

[ Edited ]
7 of 28 (3,798 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2012 6:45:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Chris, I had 7 streams for a while, but they weren't all HD.  There was an update that "fixed" this and I wish they would unfix it and bring the 7 streams back.

8 of 28 (3,770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2012 1:14:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

oufanindallas wrote:

Chris, I had 7 streams for a while, but they weren't all HD.  There was an update that "fixed" this and I wish they would unfix it and bring the 7 streams back.

OU, I've seen the posted images of 3 SD/4 HD profile awhile ago that were showing up on new installs.  Only thing I'm interested is more HD streams. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
A

9 of 28 (3,747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2012 5:04:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

mibrnsurg wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

OU, I've seen the posted images of 3 SD/4 HD profile awhile ago that were showing up on new installs.  Only thing I'm interested is more HD streams. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

A

Chris,

With a 4yo in the house, a wife who doesn't care about HD and currently a father in law that doesn't care, just having the extra streams when I was recording two shows and everyone was trying to watch something it was nice.

10 of 28 (3,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2012 7:40:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks Kong for the info.

We shall see.  While I won't believe it until I see it in a stable form, it's not surprising that the wheels might be turning again w/U-Verse.  Not much has happened since Phase 3 of the THDVR - so it's about time.

11 of 28 (3,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 4:23:35 PM
(0)
Tutor
That would be a heck of a lot of infrastructure to put in place, you would think you would hear about that kind of a capital investment.

12 of 28 (2,899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 9:36:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sundance2013 wrote:
That would be a heck of a lot of infrastructure to put in place, you would think you would hear about that kind of a capital investment.

The move to wireless (not Wireless STB's necessarily) may really be getting into high gear.  Daughter and Son-in-Law just ditched AT&T copper landline in favor of a new AT&T phone service that uses cell towers.  It's like $9 a month, since they already have AT&T wireless.  Could be the future with U-Verse?

13 of 28 (2,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 10:15:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
dhascall -
Color me skeptical - It may have value for someone already paying for a data plan. Then there those minutes that exceed the plan.
It says - requires qualified data plan, but I can not look at what the plan includes & what it costs without beginning the order process - http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/att/wireless-home-phone-silver.html?WT.srch=1&wtPaidSearchT...

People need to know that the $10 is just the entry fee.

14 of 28 (2,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2013 12:43:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Jan 3, 2013 at 12:56:19 PM

aviewer wrote:
dhascall -
Color me skeptical - It may have value for someone already paying for a data plan. Then there those minutes that exceed the plan.
It says - requires qualified data plan, but I can not look at what the plan includes & what it costs without beginning the order process - http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/att/wireless-home-phone-silver.html?WT.srch=1&wtPaidSearchT...

People need to know that the $10 is just the entry fee.

I was under the impression that it was unlimited (local and LD) and similar to the Walmart $15/month home phone plan.  They mentioned that usage was not tied to their data plan, too.  I think that the $10 /month charge is a perk for them paying $120/month for overpriced wireless, lol.

[ Edited ]
15 of 28 (2,829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2013 5:29:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

I've had at least 2 service techs and 2 online chat techs tell me I should be able to record 4 HD shows at the same time.  Needless to say, I cannot do that.  I can only record 3HD 1SD at the same time.  I wouldn't believe anything a service tech tells you.

16 of 28 (2,658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2013 5:44:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
dhascall - I did look at the link again - The box on the left says 2 year contract that calculates to free one time & $10/mo.

If you select no contract you pay for the equipment up front.

17 of 28 (2,653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2013 5:48:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

jteixeira wrote:

I've had at least 2 service techs and 2 online chat techs tell me I should be able to record 4 HD shows at the same time.  Needless to say, I cannot do that.  I can only record 3HD 1SD at the same time.  I wouldn't believe anything a service tech tells you.

I understand your frustration. 

YEARS ago, before STBs had the ability to set and/or erase recordings, I got into a HUGE fight with a CSR.  My brother was considering switching from Dish to UV so I set up a 3 way phone call with ATT customer service to make sure he got the right info.  I didn't want them giving him incorrect info.

The CSR was ADAMANT that every STB in the home could set up recordings and no amount of factual info I gave her would make her back down.  It was obvious that she did not nor had ever had Uverse. 

That's when I gave up on getting accurate info from a CSR. 

18 of 28 (2,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2013 11:19:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

aviewer wrote:
dhascall - I did look at the link again - The box on the left says 2 year contract that calculates to free one time & $10/mo.

If you select no contract you pay for the equipment up front.

Thanks aviewer - That must be what they signed up with.  

The move to wireless is getting bigger and bigger.   Clark Howard reported on a new security system / monitoring plan that is only $15 a month.  You buy the equipment ($200-300), install it yourself and the monitoring is just $15.  How does it connect with the ciompany?  Via a small box with an antenna that connects via cell towers.

19 of 28 (2,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2013 9:42:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

We can have just about any new gadgets or equipment & conveniences we want if we have the dollars to lay down for them.  Don't know about the rest of you.....but we've reached our limit.  Those darn emergencies keep popping up.  Like the new water pump I had to have installed on our car this morning......$282.

We dropped our land line phone to save $30 per month and started relying on our two cell phones. (and that land line service was for only local calls in our little town and one other town just west of us)   Then AT&T got it back when we jumped from standard cell phones to two smart phones...plus $10. :smileymad:

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking

20 of 28 (2,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2013 8:39:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

Uverse DVR is moving to the cloud in

Sounds like lost recordings to me.

21 of 28 (2,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2013 9:58:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

My neighbor has all wireless STB's and so far so good but we live in an area where the houses are small wonder how it works in a large home.

22 of 28 (2,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2013 9:58:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Jan 28, 2013 at 10:01:07 AM

oz_1 wrote:

My neighbor has all wireless STB's and so far so good but we live in an area where the houses are small wonder how it works in a large home.

Wondering about that myself.  Our home was built in the 60's.  It is a bi-level, with all bedrooms above the garage / laundry room.  The RG is in the downstairs, about as far away as you could get.  The wireless signal would travel through three walls, just to clear the downstairs and then an attic and 2-3 more walls.  I understand that the wavelengths are smaller, which should make it  easier to pass through but I dunno.

[ Edited ]
23 of 28 (1,854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2013 7:33:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Higher Frequencies typically attenuate faster over distance, but the affect on frequency on penetration depends on the materials to be penetrated, i.e. visible light penetrates glass, but not a hamburger.  However, Microwaves (lower frequency) penetrate hamburger to some extent, and x-rays (higher freqencies) go straight through.

24 of 28 (1,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 30, 2013 7:08:01 PM
(0)
Master

dhascall wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

Wondering about that myself.  Our home was built in the 60's.  It is a bi-level, with all bedrooms above the garage / laundry room.  The RG is in the downstairs, about as far away as you could get.  The wireless signal would travel through three walls, just to clear the downstairs and then an attic and 2-3 more walls.  I understand that the wavelengths are smaller, which should make it  easier to pass through but I dunno.

I live in a big old house built in 1917 and have the Cisco wireless STB in the basement about 30' from the WAP attached to the RG on the 1st floor. This house was built originally for Model A dump-style trucks full of fruit to drive on the 1st floor and dump it off the backside into bigger trucks. The orchard owner's wife like the site so well she had the him build a house onto the loading area which is my 1st floor. So it has true 2"x12" oak/beech floor joists 14" on center. Then 1" thick oak on top of that covered with tar paper. Then true 1/4" pine flooring on top of that covered with padding/carpeting. The STB has no problem getting a signal through all that wood/flooring and has the highest number of lights/bars showing for peak signal strength.

I told the tech who installed it I want to take the STB with my smaller TV outside and he said I'll be surprised how far away it will work. Guess I'll have to do some testing.

BTW, there was another pretty good tech here about a month ago and I asked him if he's seen anything about Cloud installed on a DVR. He said, "they've been working on that over a year and I'll believe it when I see it".

25 of 28 (1,748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2013 2:04:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Daughter and family just got UV on Saturday May 4th and the installer said that 8 streams are coming soon.  He said that it will need a tech visit but not sure why.  Maybe pair bonding?

26 of 28 (921 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2013 9:03:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Most likely.  The new RG has pair bonding built-in.  For those of us who get 60Mbps+ on one pair, I'm wondering if they'll do a pair bond on us anyway.

27 of 28 (853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2013 9:56:14 AM
(0)
Employee

dhascall wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

The AP used for the wireless STBs is a separate unit. if you have a nextork connection in that end of the house, then the AP can be plugged in there to keep the signal levels up.

i.e., ((RG))<===cable to other end of the house===> 5G AP for wireless boxes~~~~~~Wireless STBs

Even if it's coax, there are coax-to-UTP converters, like used for coax to Xbox.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

28 of 28 (837 Views)