Posted Jul 4, 2013
Happy 4th of July!

Happy 4th of July

Hope everybody has a great 4th and thanks to all the veterans who have continued to ensure our independence! :smileyhappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Happy 4th of July!

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 4, 2013
(0)
ACE - Guru

Hi, Uni--long time no see!  Also, a happy and safe 4th to everyone.

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Happy 4th of July!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 4, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

Hi doc and happy 4th! :smileyhappy:

Yeah, sorry I haven't been posting much but so there's much going on here it's not funny. Daughter was married in S. Cal in May and spent a couple weeks out there. Now our grown son is fleeing out to Del Mar too, selling his house here which I'm helping fix up, and they're still trying to lure my wife & I out there. Had to take a huge loss in selling my wife's 2000 Jeep Wrangler w/a rotted frame so we're short a vehicle and looking for a replacement. The list goes on and on...

You'll be happy to know I'm getting about a crown per month! :smileywink: Lol.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 4, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

Holy cow!!!!  It's Uni!......I was just thinking about you earlier today and wondering if all was OK.  Yep....sounds like y'all been busy, busy.

It was a fantastic July 4th here.  Our oldest son, his wife and his youngest boy came to our house for a cookout and then fireworks afterward.  Our small town has very loose regulations in regard to fireworks....and, since lots of the public displays are being canceled each year.....the neighborhoods are taking over and folks are going together to purchase and set  off their evening displays.  It is WILD.  From about 8:30 PM on to midnight it was chaos.......a constant roar.....the sky bright with color displays in nearly every direction....360 degrees.  We could sit out in our front yard and witness the collective, biggest fireworks display I've ever seen....just by turning around and around.  Trouble was....while watching one direction a person could miss something good in another direction.  I don't know where all the money is coming from but the displays these neighborhood are putting on are NOT ordinary class "C" retail stuff.  This phenomenon just seemed to have developed over the last 3 or 4 years.  And with the great weather and clear skies....tonight was the peak up to now.

Here's wishing everyone had as pleasant of a 4th as we had today.   AND the Royals won their game rather spectacularly this afternoon.  Winning is GOOD....

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." ......Albert Einstein

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

Hi Phil and sounds like you had a great 4th with your family! It was too wet/soggy for my wife and I go to fireworks. Kind of a bummer and normally were out in S. Cal for the fair/fireworks but can't make that long pricey flight all the time.

Yeah, those fireworks shops just outside the big city limits have really increased in number around here over the past 5 or so years. Maybe some remember me saying what a joke it is that you have to sign a form swearing you're going to set them off out of state along within what city.  Yeah, right! At least with 14 days of rain, and another week forecast, nothin' is going to catch fire around here by fireworks.

I'll try to stop back and post a little more since miss my ole forum friends. :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)
ACE - Guru

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Hi doc and happy 4th! :smileyhappy:

Yeah, sorry I haven't been posting much but so there's much going on here it's not funny. Daughter was married in S. Cal in May and spent a couple weeks out there. Now our grown son is fleeing out to Del Mar too, selling his house here which I'm helping fix up, and they're still trying to lure my wife & I out there. Had to take a huge loss in selling my wife's 2000 Jeep Wrangler w/a rotted frame so we're short a vehicle and looking for a replacement. The list goes on and on...

You'll be happy to know I'm getting about a crown per month! :smileywink: Lol.

That's where your new Mercedes went!  :smileyvery-happy:

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

One of the favorite firecrackers around this part of the country is a quarter of a stick of dynamite.  Super dangerous.....but, apparently, relatively easy to find if you know where to go.  We had a bunch of those being set off in our little town this year.  WOW.....I'm surprised we didn't have some window damage in the house.  I wonder if anyone did.  Our family did mostly class C nightworks.

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." ......Albert Einstein

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2013
(0)
ACE - Expert

Sounds like our old M80s here in MI 1950-60s.  Had many fingers blown off statewide and they finally banned them. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

Yeah Chris, I remember well the M80's and cherry bombs we used to play with. Since they had a waterproof fuse they made great depth charges in tying sinkers to them with fishing line and blowing up our model ships we spent so many hours to build at the river down our street. LOL. While the cherry bombs may have been a little less powerful than M80's they were probably even more dangerous since the outer shell of glued/packed sawdust turned into almost a wooden shrapnel when set off.

I wondered what the firework classes were now after Phil mentioned class C (consumer). Looks like they changed the classes for shipping purposes as can be seen below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireworks#New_explosives_classes

Probably a good thing consumers can't buy any aerial shells (mortars) over 1.75" dia w/o a permit. One of my wacked neighbors across the road who sure likes to drink has been setting off those big mortars 3 nights in a row. Needless to say they're driving Charlie nuts and he's been hanging out in the house a whole lot more.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

I think I was in junior high school or, maybe, freshman year of high school when I last ordered day and night works for mail delivery.  There was another high powered cracker named after the manufacturer.....the Kent Kannon Kracker.....a short, cylinder shaped bomb with the fuse protruding out of the side.  Very loud.  Then there were torpedoes which had small pieces of sand inside, along with the flash powder.  You threw them against the pavement or the curbing and they exploded.  Not very powerful....but hazardous to eyes, especially because the contents became shrapnel when the torpedo exploded.  Guess I was lucky to survive undamaged.

Well...it's over for another year....and all the pets can come out from under the beds and other hiding places as things get back to normal.