Posted Oct 19, 2012
7:19:52 AM
HD Sets in Over Three-Quarters of U.S. Homes: Nielsen

From the article found in the link below:

New Nielsen data shows that more than three-quarters of all U.S. homes have HD televisions, up 14% from last year, and that nearly 40% of homes have multiple HD sets. Yet the same data shows that most viewing is still taking place in the standard-definition format.

In May 2012, 61% of all primetime viewing was done on an HD set, but much of that viewing was of standard- definition feeds, according to Nielsen. During that month about 29% of English-language broadcast primetime viewing and 25% of cable primetime viewing was in "true HD," the study found.

For "true HD" viewing to occur, the HD set must be connected to an HD signal and the set needs to be tuned to a HD channels.

As expected sports and entertainment genres are more likely to be viewed in HD than news and kids programming.

The Nielsen study was based on usage of 17 networks -- five English-language broadcast networks and 12 ad- supported cable networks -- during May.

http://www.multichannel.com/technology/hd-sets-over-three-quarters-us-homes-nielsen/139861

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

HD Sets in Over Three-Quarters of U.S. Homes: Nielsen

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2012 8:32:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

So, is it time for all providers to stop charging extra for HD equipment?  I can already hear someone say "they'll make up for it ("the loss") somewhere else."  My gut says that they have already made up for it and have recouped any fees associated with HD equipment procurement, many times over.  Just my opinion.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: HD Sets in Over Three-Quarters of U.S. Homes: Nielsen

2 of 11 (716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2012 2:10:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

So, is it time for all providers to stop charging extra for HD equipment?  I can already hear someone say "they'll make up for it ("the loss") somewhere else."  My gut says that they have already made up for it and have recouped any fees associated with HD equipment procurement, many times over.  Just my opinion.

I agree completely

3 of 11 (692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2012 2:36:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I thought the comment in the article was interesting that although about 75% of US homes have at least one HDTV, less than 30% of prime time TV viewing is done in true HD.

4 of 11 (681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2012 8:22:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Oct 19, 2012 at 8:23:43 PM

texasguy37 wrote:

I thought the comment in the article was interesting that although about 75% of US homes have at least one HDTV, less than 30% of prime time TV viewing is done in true HD.

I think that is an education thing.  On our one HD set, my wife still starts her channel surfing as she has for years, beginning on channel 4 then goes to 6, 8, 11, 13 and then to "her" channels, 450, 453 and so on.  She never ventures above 500.  I know lots of folks (mainly women) who do that.  Comcast puts out a reminder - "you can watch this program in HD on channel xxx."

[ Edited ]
5 of 11 (663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2012 10:46:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That HD viewing percentage surprises me.  We watch quite a lot of TV and virtually 100% is in the HD format.  My wife NEVER ventures below channel 1004.  I'm the only one who occasionally drifts down to certain SD channels amongst the news & information channels...which, so far, have no HD counterpart.  Even when I had a regular CRT SD set in my computer room I would watch the HD channels most of the time because the images were sharper from that source.  That SD set was recently replaced by a Phillips, 32" LCD/LED, high definition TV.  So we're now 100% HD equipped.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

6 of 11 (648 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2012 7:53:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Due to the 200% increase in DVR disk consumption for HD over SD, we have elected not to subscribe to the HD service.  My wife does all her TV watching on an HD TV.  The other two TV's in the household are old SD TV's that still work very well.

7 of 11 (627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2012 1:36:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Color me spoiled if it ain't in HD it don't get viewed at our house since we spent a lot of money on AV gear.

8 of 11 (610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2012 2:05:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oz_1 wrote:

Color me spoiled if it ain't in HD it don't get viewed at our house since we spent a lot of money on AV gear.

How in the world do you watch Bad Girls Club since there is no WE-TV in HD?  :smileywink:

9 of 11 (602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2012 3:45:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

skeeterintexas wrote:

oz_1 wrote:

How in the world do you watch Bad Girls Club since there is no WE-TV in HD?  :smileywink:

Simple I don't to many other shows in HD that hold my interests so far.

10 of 11 (592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2012 12:19:50 PM
(0)
Professor
The problem is, not everyone is watching HD on them, nor using Blu-Ray players also.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

11 of 11 (535 Views)