Reply
Posted Apr 9, 2013
12:27:07 PM
Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

AUSTIN -- It's official. Google Fiber is coming to Austin.

On Tuesday Mayor Lee Leffingwell made the announcement that the Internet service will be coming to the capital city in 2014.

Google Fiber brings Internet speeds that clock in 100 times faster than  any other service. Tech experts say the service will boost Austin's  economy by luring in a whole new group of tech companies.

 

Article here.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

720 views
15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Post reply
Replies
(15)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2013 1:16:50 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

You beat me to the punch on that, just read the article.  

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

704 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 10, 2013 7:25:37 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

There was a sizeable article in the Kansas City Star this past weekend about the Austin being the next city to get Google fiber.  Things have been moving rather slowly here.  Some concern that Google might switch attention to Austin and let the expansion slow way down here.  But I doubt that unless Google starts running  short of cash.  We have a grandson in Austin...in the web site design and support business and other techie stuff.  Imagine he'll be excited at the news.  But since Google has to start from scratch nearly anywhere they go it is going to be some years before their customer base is significant......IMHO.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

636 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2013 5:07:06 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

BeeBeeSA wrote:

AUSTIN -- It's official. Google Fiber is coming to Austin.

On Tuesday Mayor Lee Leffingwell made the announcement that the Internet service will be coming to the capital city in 2014.

Google Fiber brings Internet speeds that clock in 100 times faster than  any other service. Tech experts say the service will boost Austin's  economy by luring in a whole new group of tech companies.

 

Article here.


 

You don't think there's any particular reason for targeting Austin, as opposed to some other large city like Chitown or NYC or SanFran.

 

Couldn't have anything to do with AT&T being based in Texas?:smileywink:

 

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                               neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

603 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2013 6:03:50 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

Computer-Joe wrote:

BeeBeeSA wrote:

AUSTIN -- It's official. Google Fiber is coming to Austin.

On Tuesday Mayor Lee Leffingwell made the announcement that the Internet service will be coming to the capital city in 2014.

Google Fiber brings Internet speeds that clock in 100 times faster than  any other service. Tech experts say the service will boost Austin's  economy by luring in a whole new group of tech companies.

 

Article here.


 

You don't think there's any particular reason for targeting Austin, as opposed to some other large city like Chitown or NYC or SanFran.

 

Couldn't have anything to do with AT&T being based in Texas?:smileywink:


Locations were chosen through a competetive selection process. Communities had to "apply" to be considered, I can see Austin more so than the Kansas City which is getting GF first.

 

Austin is hip and a very techno savvy city, ie: SXSW.

 

From Wikipeadia:

  • Kansas City, Kansas - On March 30, 2011, KCK was selected from over 1,100 applicants to be the first Google Fiber community.
  • Kansas City, Missouri - Seventeen days after the initial announcement regarding KCK, Google announced the decision to include Kansas City, Missouri, thus offering service to both sides of the state line. The network became available to residents in September 2012.
  • Olathe, Kansas - On March 19, 2013 Google announced that the project would be expanded to Olathe.
  • Austin, Texas - On April 9, 2013 Austin was selected to be the next major city to be provided Google Fiber

Has Google Fiber come to fruition in any of these cities???

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

[ Edited ]
586 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 12, 2013 8:31:02 AM
0
(0)
Employee
AT&T has announced that they are also preparing to bring up Gig fiber service in Austin.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

568 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2013 6:28:41 AM
0
(0)
Traveler

I don't live in Austin, but I'm very glad to see this happen.  The technology exists for AT&T to do this, but they're dragging their feet because the status quo is so profitable.  It's cheaper for AT&T to "bribe" politicians (to keep their duopoly) than it is for them to upgrade their network.  That's American capitalism, folks.  AT&T/Verizon/TWC/etc represent a case of American-style capitalism holding back technological advance rather than promoting it.

 

I'm not a fan of Google's privacy policies, but in this particular case I have to say "Go Google!".

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

487 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2013 7:56:12 AM
0
(0)
Employee

Pujols05 wrote:

I don't live in Austin, but I'm very glad to see this happen.  The technology exists for AT&T to do this, but they're dragging their feet because the status quo is so profitable.  It's cheaper for AT&T to "bribe" politicians (to keep their duopoly) than it is for them to upgrade their network.  That's American capitalism, folks.  AT&T/Verizon/TWC/etc represent a case of American-style capitalism holding back technological advance rather than promoting it.

 

I'm not a fan of Google's privacy policies, but in this particular case I have to say "Go Google!".


Pujols05: Congrats on your first post. You're wrong.


The technology "may exist," true. But getting "the technology" in a quantity to cover the AT&T 22 state footprint and keeping the cost within the realm that people can afford is the trick. There is no successful business model that even suggests "holding back" or "dragging our {AT&T, Verizon, TWC/ etc.} feet."

 

Certainly you're entitled to your opinion, but please stop presenting it as fact, it is not.

 

 

 

 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

473 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2013 10:05:41 AM
0
(0)
Traveler

The reason AT&T "can't" do it is because no one is holding their feet to fire (lack of competition).  They are protected from competition by government officials they bribed.  Oh, sorry, government officials they lobbied and whose campaigns they contributed to.  It's not brown-paper-bag bribery.

 

Look, it's understandable if people who live in rural areas don't get gigabit speeds, but there is no excuse for no metropolitan areas to have gigabit speeds.  The entire nation of South Korea has access to it.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

458 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 18, 2013 12:11:59 PM
0
(0)
Employee

Pujols05 wrote:

The reason AT&T "can't" do it is because no one is holding their feet to fire (lack of competition).  They are protected from competition by government officials they bribed.  Oh, sorry, government officials they lobbied and whose campaigns they contributed to.  It's not brown-paper-bag bribery.

 

Look, it's understandable if people who live in rural areas don't get gigabit speeds, but there is no excuse for no metropolitan areas to have gigabit speeds.  The entire nation of South Korea has access to it.


Again, you're wrong.

 

We have more people in a few cities than S.Korea has in the whole country, and they are't cabled for the whole country.

 

You apparently have no idea of what it takes to deploy that kind of bandwidth to the user WHILE having a back-end system to support it. IT's NOT the case, but for example, Google an give everyone a GigE to the home, wonderful. They could (BUT DON'T, this only an exmaple) have a single T1 feeding the back-end. Lots of local speed, no speed off-net.

 

How many users do you think AT&T feeds on their data network? This isn't "plug & play" SOHO stuff.

 

It's not too far down the road when rural will have the same speeds and capabilities as the urban folks do, thanks to the LTE upgrades and expansion.

 

As far as competition, that's what the whole Judge Green breakup was all about. When DSL was young, CLECs were offered all thier re-salable bandwidth at a rate discount such that they could sell it for lower cost then we (as the owner of the infrastructure) could. Most of those CLECs are still up & online, even with the merger of the Baby Bells. 

Much of the reason that the costs are as high as they are is because of Government regulation and regulation-based fees and tarriffs,

 

So, save your baseless claims. you're wrong, across-the-board, wrong.

 

 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

440 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 19, 2013 9:27:44 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

I'd give you a KUDO if I could Scott.  These OPW's, 2 in this case have no clue sometimes.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

414 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2013 8:45:59 AM
0
(0)
Employee
Thanks!
I don't think it would bother me as much if it was expressed as opinion, suspicion, "I heard ..." etc.

When it is expressed as an absolute or "fact," especially without any kind of backing or documentation, IMO, it needs to be addressed ... preferably as an educational opportunity (if not to the OP, someone else reading it later).

Thanks again, take care!
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

394 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 23, 2013 9:56:10 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

In my opinion, the main problem is the new players to the game (AT&T, google), are trudging up the wrong hill.

 

Comcast (and I am no advocate of Comcast) has had fiber to the node in my town almost 18 years. Now they're offerring 100Mb, plus VOIP, plus TV for just about anyone they can string a coax to. AT&T is struggling to hit 20% coverage with their FTTN (in my town) and most of those can still only get 3 - 6 Mb (and no VOIP or TV). Google is only managing a smattering of neighborhoods in a few towns cities.

 

Sure Google is offering Gb speed but who needs that. AT&T has a lot of catching up to do as far as speed. Comcast on the other hand, I think, has hit the "service sweet spot". So maybe it isn't that AT&T and Google's network technology needs to advance, maybe they just need to look at a different distribution model. Moca does seem to be advancing along pretty rapidly.

 

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                               neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

369 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 23, 2013 4:51:12 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

Well said, Scott.

 

In today's Kansas City Star....Time Warner placed a 1/2 page ad for their 100 mbps service to businesses.   ONLY $385 per month.   Yep....that is correct.  I just checked again to make sure I did not remember incorrectly.  Perhaps a business needs that speed.  For now.....we sure as heck do NOT need any more than the 18 mbps we currently subscribe to.  If the whole system is turned topsy turvey and everyone ends up having to stream all their video to watch TV....well then....perhaps faster speeds are necessary.  But we currently get 16.5 to 17.6 mbps down and are satisfied.   Maybe some rich dudes can afford the super high prices that go with super high speeds.  We cannot!  In my opinion this obsession with a gigabyte per second speed is just NUTS.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

345 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 23, 2013 7:22:10 PM
0
(0)
Employee

ScottMac wrote:
Thanks!
I don't think it would bother me as much if it was expressed as opinion, suspicion, "I heard ..." etc.

When it is expressed as an absolute or "fact," especially without any kind of backing or documentation, IMO, it needs to be addressed ... preferably as an educational opportunity (if not to the OP, someone else reading it later).

Thanks again, take care!

It happens quite a bit in forums these days, these forums are not immune either. Some people just tout things they read on other sites as opinions and treat them as fact. Even some of the "in the know" newspeople get it often quite wrong in most cases. Actual and factual reporting seems to be going on the wayside in this country.

 

I still see Google scrapping it in 2 years, only because they are not going to put up with the FCC's rules and regulations. Before too long and if they buy those fiber networks for $1 the FTC will start investigating eventually. Whicn in Google fashion, they would pull out again after 2 years. They proved the first time they were not going to put up with it, what makes anyone think this is going to be different.

 

From what I got from a few old college classmates in the Kansas areas, it's not all it's hyped up to be.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

329 views
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 24, 2013 8:26:30 AM
0
(0)
Employee

David wrote:

ScottMac wrote:
Thanks!
I don't think it would bother me as much if it was expressed as opinion, suspicion, "I heard ..." etc.

When it is expressed as an absolute or "fact," especially without any kind of backing or documentation, IMO, it needs to be addressed ... preferably as an educational opportunity (if not to the OP, someone else reading it later).

Thanks again, take care!

It happens quite a bit in forums these days, these forums are not immune either. Some people just tout things they read on other sites as opinions and treat them as fact. Even some of the "in the know" newspeople get it often quite wrong in most cases. Actual and factual reporting seems to be going on the wayside in this country.

 

I still see Google scrapping it in 2 years, only because they are not going to put up with the FCC's rules and regulations. Before too long and if they buy those fiber networks for $1 the FTC will start investigating eventually. Whicn in Google fashion, they would pull out again after 2 years. They proved the first time they were not going to put up with it, what makes anyone think this is going to be different.

 

From what I got from a few old college classmates in the Kansas areas, it's not all it's hyped up to be.


I understand and agree. I have my share of "senior moments" or get in a hurry and connect the wrong dots ... it happens, no problem with it at all. It's just the proclamation of opinion as fact that makes me itch. I'm a Mod on another Tech / Networking site so I see this pretty regularly.

 

The Google experiment will be interesting to watch over the next year or so, and probably even more interesting as their active infrastructure ages. They do have an advantage in starting from scratch; AT&T and the other established carriers have to "evolve" into the new technologies and architectures, which is often more time consuming and expensive ,,, to do it in a way that existng customers can tolerate financially and within the "bother factor" of their personal compatibility.

 

Just the integration and compatibillity testing can take months and months, developing the materials and training the troops (hands-on and support), writing the docs, then the rollout and deployment to the many VHOs, IOs, COs, and tens-of-thousands VRADs and/or millions of RGs, DVRs, or STBs. This often has to also coordinate with other internal and external organizations, which can inject other delay factors.

 

Hopefully the users realize at some point that there is no business reason to "hold back;" the closest thing is that the planning and work to actually deploy a solid, working feature or update/upgrade just takes time. Anyone that can deploy the latest & greatest is doing so because it is a selling advantage.

 

Google can do their market studies, find out what the "average" user wants and develop around it, then roll out brand-new infrastructure and platforms and Rock & Roll. Even if they lose money (and they will, on the network part of it), they gain a massive amount of user preference and demographic data that lets them target their sales & marketing to more specific and exclusive groups. Advertisers pay big bucks for that kind of targeted marketing.

 

Whatever. I guess we all will get a chance to sit back and watch the show, so to speak.

 

BTW: Thanks David, for all the assistance you and your team have provided in all those ugly chronic cases. It's not an easy thing to handle, most of the time, but you guys handle it all with style and save the day. Great job to you & the Team!!

 

 

 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Google Fiber coming to Austin, TX

311 views
Share this post
Share this post