• Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 17, 2011 3:33:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

NorthLineTony wrote:

dhascall wrote:

NorthLineTony wrote:

Can you access the Internet on another person's cell phone using your Wireless Key on the RG, without the other person being charged Internet fees on their wireless bill?

(Without sounding like Mr. Voice Recognition from 1-800-288-2020), "it sounds like you are asking about using WiFi via a samrtphone?"  If so, yes.  As long as the smartphone has WiFi capabilities.  Have them turn on the WiFi, look for your RG name, select it and then enter your login key.  I do this at home with my Android phone.  It is not to prevent being charged (as my Virgin Mobile phone hjas unlimited data), it is because my WiFi is a bit faster and more stable than my 3G internet.

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Here are some facts. The phone is not a smartphone. However, there is an option called MEDIANET. The phones are in my brother-in-law's name.  The phone is a Samsung sgh a37 model. What I want to know if I can use my Uverse wireless key on his phone without my brother-in-law being charged internet fees on his wireless bill.

Tony

I aslo had a Samsung (no offense) dumbphone with Medianet.  There is no way, as far as I know, to use WiFi to avoid data charges.  That phone (SHG-T229) could use WiFi to make calls if you have T-Mobile's @home hotspot router and paid service but you couldn't surf the internet and it wasn't free. 

Tony, have you considered Virgin Mobile's "Beyond Talk" plan?  You can get a very nice Android Smartphone (LG Optimus or Samsung Intercept) for ~ $150.  The service is $25 a month for 300 voice minutes and unlimited text, email, web and on, via Sprint's 3G network.  You can also use your UV WiFi while at home and at hot spots as it is faster.  I have ditched my contracted voice only T-Mobile plan.  I love it!  The phone will pay for itself in about 4 months!  A similar contracted plan on Sprint (with a few more bells / whistles) is about $85 after taxes.  $85 vs $25 and having to pay for a phone, I'll take the latter, any day.  They also have a $40 plan with 1200 minutes andf a $60 unlimited voice plan.  Last month I used 200 minutes and so far this month, only 65.  Why pay for what you don;t use?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Accesing the Internet on another's cel phone using Wireless Key

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 16, 2011 7:09:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Don't keep us in suspense NT, give us the info.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Accesing the Internet on another's cel phone using Wireless Key

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 16, 2011 8:10:50 PM
(0)
Professor

I think THE Internet Spirits have erased my message. LOL. Here's what I asked. Can you access the Internet on another person's cell phone using your Wireless Key on the RG, without the other person being charged Internet fees on their wireless bill?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2011 7:30:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

NorthLineTony wrote:

Can you access the Internet on another person's cell phone using your Wireless Key on the RG, without the other person being charged Internet fees on their wireless bill?

(Without sounding like Mr. Voice Recognition from 1-800-288-2020), "it sounds like you are asking about using WiFi via a samrtphone?"  If so, yes.  As long as the smartphone has WiFi capabilities.  Have them turn on the WiFi, look for your RG name, select it and then enter your login key.  I do this at home with my Android phone.  It is not to prevent being charged (as my Virgin Mobile phone hjas unlimited data), it is because my WiFi is a bit faster and more stable than my 3G internet.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2011 8:48:21 AM
(0)
Professor

dhascall wrote:

NorthLineTony wrote:

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Here are some facts. The phone is not a smartphone. However, there is an option called MEDIANET. The phones are in my brother-in-law's name.  The phone is a Samsung sgh a37 model. What I want to know if I can use my Uverse wireless key on his phone without my brother-in-law being charged internet fees on his wireless bill.

Tony

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2011 8:50:01 AM
(0)
Professor

that should be a437 model # of phone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2011 12:31:09 PM
(0)
Guru

MediaNet, I think, is the internet hub for AT&T phones that have internet capability.  Data charges apply when using it to access the web.  Unless his phone has wi-fi capability, I don't think he can access your RG.  The internet access on his phone is through the wireless 3G connection, so he'll be charged when using it.  At least IMHO.  Maybe someone else knows better.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2011 1:49:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I know on my VZW Samsung Facsinate I have to put it into airplane mode to keep from using any data on my plan

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 17, 2011 3:33:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

NorthLineTony wrote:

dhascall wrote:

NorthLineTony wrote:

Dave,

Tony

I aslo had a Samsung (no offense) dumbphone with Medianet.  There is no way, as far as I know, to use WiFi to avoid data charges.  That phone (SHG-T229) could use WiFi to make calls if you have T-Mobile's @home hotspot router and paid service but you couldn't surf the internet and it wasn't free. 

Tony, have you considered Virgin Mobile's "Beyond Talk" plan?  You can get a very nice Android Smartphone (LG Optimus or Samsung Intercept) for ~ $150.  The service is $25 a month for 300 voice minutes and unlimited text, email, web and on, via Sprint's 3G network.  You can also use your UV WiFi while at home and at hot spots as it is faster.  I have ditched my contracted voice only T-Mobile plan.  I love it!  The phone will pay for itself in about 4 months!  A similar contracted plan on Sprint (with a few more bells / whistles) is about $85 after taxes.  $85 vs $25 and having to pay for a phone, I'll take the latter, any day.  They also have a $40 plan with 1200 minutes andf a $60 unlimited voice plan.  Last month I used 200 minutes and so far this month, only 65.  Why pay for what you don;t use?

[ Edited ]
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 18, 2011 1:28:38 AM
(0)
Professor

dhascall wrote:

NorthLineTony wrote:

dhascall wrote:

NorthLineTony wrote:

Dave,

Tony

Thanks, Dave.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 18, 2011 4:26:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

YW!  Any time Tony!