Re: AT&T merging with Directv?

2 of 25 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 4:43:47 AM
(0)
Scholar

Please tell me were not going to have satilite dish's my home can't have .

3 of 25 (1,169 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 5:22:46 AM
(0)
Employee

This just sounds off.  We already are in partnership with Directv.  We sell Directv to customers who do not have access to U-Verse TV.

Directv does pass on customers to AT&T who are looking for internet service.  Of course they only pass on ones that in the AT&T area.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 25 (1,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 6:48:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

flutist1963 wrote:

This just sounds off.  We already are in partnership with Directv.  We sell Directv to customers who do not have access to U-Verse TV.

Directv does pass on customers to AT&T who are looking for internet service.  Of course they only pass on ones that in the AT&T area.

I don't think that Time magazine and other media outlets would be making that up but what it could do is allow some of the perks that Direct TV has (copyrighted features on their DVR) to spread to U-Verse.  Maybe Sunday Ticket?  NASCAR Hotpass?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 25 (1,111 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 7:14:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oufanindallas on May 1, 2014 at 7:15:35 AM

@rt123 

rt123 wrote:

Why can you not have a satellite dish?  Just curious.  Not that I would have one again, but under FCC law an HOA or apartment cannot prevent you from having a dish.  When I lived in Georgia, my HOA tried to tell me I couldn't install a dish on my roof ( on the back of the house mind you) and threatened to place a lien on my house until I took it down.  When I countered with the LAW, they backed off.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
6 of 25 (1,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 8:05:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

oufanindallas wrote:

@rt123 

rt123 wrote:

Why can you not have a satellite dish?  Just curious.  Not that I would have one again, but under FCC law an HOA or apartment cannot prevent you from having a dish.  When I lived in Georgia, my HOA tried to tell me I couldn't install a dish on my roof ( on the back of the house mind you) and threatened to place a lien on my house until I took it down.  When I countered with the LAW, they backed off.

It might be his wife.

7 of 25 (1,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 8:12:40 AM
(0)
Scholar

If the merger goes through will channel lineups change also .

Uverse and Directv

8 of 25 (1,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 8:34:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

we are suronded by trees that's why .

9 of 25 (1,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 8:38:13 AM
(0)
Employee

maybe then all the people asking for Hallmark can have it.  Directv does have Hallmark.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Uverse and Directv

10 of 25 (1,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 8:41:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

I  think Uverse will stick with the same recivers  IMO .

11 of 25 (1,047 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 8:52:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

baseballisback wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

@rt123 

rt123 wrote:

It might be his wife.

Yup, could be the old Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF).  I would really like a 17 element yagi but I'm sure that would not fly, either. :smileyvery-happy:

12 of 25 (1,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 9:08:51 AM
(0)
Scholar

Just asking was not trying stir up anything i am sure Uverse is not going change much if the merger goes through .

13 of 25 (1,032 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 11:09:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

rt123 wrote:

Just asking was not trying stir up anything i am sure Uverse is not going change much if the merger goes through .

Ya never know, it could benefit both companies.  Once one merger gets announced (Comcast + TW), more follow.

14 of 25 (999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

15 of 25 (992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2014 1:00:22 PM
(0)
Voyager

I HAD DISH NETWORK FOR YEARS AND I FINALLY GOT RID OF IT

SEEMED LIKE THE SIGNAL GOT WEAKER OVER THE YEARS AND ANY LITTLE WEATHER WOULD BLOCK THE SIGNAL

SO I WENT WITH UVERSE AND DID AWAY WITH THE DISH

IF THEY SWITCH TO DISH IM GOING TO SOMEBODY ELSE

DONT WANT ANOTHER SORRY DISH

16 of 25 (846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2014 2:50:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

CANIPE1656 wrote:

SEEMED LIKE THE SIGNAL GOT WEAKER OVER THE YEARS AND ANY LITTLE WEATHER WOULD BLOCK THE SIGNAL

No need for all caps, lol.  I don't think that is what this means (forcing folks to get a dish).  It will most likely allow AT&T to brand itself on Dish equipment, strategic partnering and so on.

17 of 25 (835 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2014 8:09:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The story in the business section of our Kansas City Star reported that AT&T wants to acquire Direct TV.  No mention of a merger.....just outright acquisition.

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking

18 of 25 (823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2014 6:27:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

hpmsrm wrote:

The story in the business section of our Kansas City Star reported that AT&T wants to acquire Direct TV.  No mention of a merger.....just outright acquisition.

Right. 

19 of 25 (795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 6:34:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

CANIPE1656 wrote:

Sounds like a sloppy install to me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

20 of 25 (739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 6:53:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Another fine example.

Yet another mega merger which our government will probably bend over backwards for, so we can bend over forwards and grab our ankles. On top of that they'll probably take away the tax deduction for vasoline.

They all (politicians) claim to know that the lack of choice is the problem, yet they keep allowing big business to gobble up those choices.

I would think there would have to be a major overhaul of DirecTV and AT&T for this to happen. To start with, DirecTV's installers are non-union subcontractors, and AT&T has no experience in satellite TV.

I can see a major learning curve for AT&T, and a lot of fired downsized people at DirecTV.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

21 of 25 (735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 8:13:12 AM
(0)
Employee

Also, you need to be aware the Dish Network and DirecTV are two different companies.  I have people call and say they have Dish and want to get the discount to combine it with AT&T.  I have to explain to them that we do have any partnership with Dish.  We do have a partnership with DirecTV. 

From everything I have heard over the years, these two companies are so different that they should not be link together.

22 of 25 (724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 8:15:24 AM
(0)
Employee

sorry typing skills off today.

should have said "I have to explain to them that we do NOT have any partnership with Dish."

23 of 25 (723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 10:30:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

flutist1963 wrote:

Also, you need to be aware the Dish Network and DirecTV are two different companies.  I have people call and say they have Dish and want to get the discount to combine it with AT&T.  I have to explain to them that we do have any partnership with Dish.  We do have a partnership with DirecTV. 

From everything I have heard over the years, these two companies are so different that they should not be link together.

Yup, for one thing Dish is a helluva lot better. Better programming, better equipment, and lower prices.

I guess that's why AT&T split with them, Dish's Hopper/Joey/Sling systems makes Uverse and their WHDVR look pitiful.

neon_sign.jpg

24 of 25 (712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2014 7:10:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I originally saw the story about AT&T considering acquisition of Direct TV in the business section of our Kansas City Star.  But it is also on the Internet.  Apparently CNN Money had a story and others picked it up:

http://www.inquisitr.com/1235842/att-to-acquire-directv-20-million-potential-customers-on-the-line/

FYI

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking

25 of 25 (689 Views)