Posted Apr 21, 2012
A rare astronomical event will occur in June

For my fellow skywatchers......coming up in June will be a very rare astronomical event.  Venus will transit the sun on both the 5th and the 6th.  Here is a story and video.

If you try to observe it live.....don't forget to use very heavy filtration or very darkly smoked glass to protect your eyes.   If you have ever seen what happens to a piece of paper when you use a magnifying glass to focus the image of the sun on it.......just imagine what happens when the lenses in your eyes do the same to your retinas.

Safe way to observe the sun is to use a large cardboard box.  Puncture a pin hole in one side with a paperclip or, possibly the point of a pen....but no larger.... and position it so that the image of the sun is projected through the pin-hole onto the opposite side of the box.  The "pin hole effect" will produce a relatively sharp image.

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." ......Albert Einstein
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

A rare astronomical event will occur in June

[ Edited ]
2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2012
(0)
ACE - Expert

Remind us, because I'll forget. :smileysad:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: A rare astronomical event will occur in June

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2012
(0)
ACE - Master

hpmsrm wrote:

For my fellow skywatchers......coming up in June will be a very rare astronomical event.  Venus will transit the sun on both the 5th and the 6th.  Here is a story and video.

If you try to observe it live.....don't forget to use very heavy filtration or very darkly smoked glass to protect your eyes.   If you have ever seen what happens to a piece of paper when you use a magnifying glass to focus the image of the sun on it.......just imagine what happens when the lenses in your eyes do the same to your retinas.

Safe way to observe the sun is to use a large cardboard box.  Puncture a pin hole in one side with a paperclip or, possibly the point of a pen....but no larger.... and position it so that the image of the sun is projected through the pin-hole onto the opposite side of the box.  The "pin hole effect" will produce a relatively sharp image.

Why waste than kind of power on paper when there's ants out there. :smileylol:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Re: A rare astronomical event will occur in June