Posted Nov 7, 2012
10:40:59 PM
A new astronomical visitor coming in a year.

In about one year we'll be gazing at the sky....at night at first....and then, at its peak, perhaps even during daytime.

A new comet, discovered just this past September, is coming.  Known as a solar-grazing comet....its orbit around the sun will take it very close...VERY close to our solar parent.  Something like just a tiny fraction of an AU...the distance between Earth and the sun.   Check here for the whole story and the details I couldn't remember.  This could be quite a sight to see.   Probably only sky gazing nuts like myself get excited over something like this.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

A new astronomical visitor coming in a year.

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 8, 2012 4:49:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Maybe the Mayan calendar was of by a year.:smileysurprised:

I hope they have the calculations right on how Mars, and even Mercury, might affect the orbital path, or we could be in trouble.:smileywink:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: A new astronomical visitor coming in a year.

2 of 7 (634 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 8, 2012 8:37:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have been so disappointed in the lack of visiblity of previous comets (Haley's comes to mind), I'd like to see one with an easily visible tail.

3 of 7 (611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 9, 2012 8:08:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

JefferMC wrote:

I have been so disappointed in the lack of visiblity of previous comets (Haley's comes to mind), I'd like to see one with an easily visible tail.

You didn't see Comet Hale-Bopp in 1997?  That sucker was there for weeks, with a very defined tail.  In fact, after we saw it, my daughter and son in law pointed it out a few weeks later.

150px-Comet-Hale-Bopp-29-03-1997_hires_adj.jpg

4 of 7 (583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 9, 2012 11:04:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I do believe I saw that.  But I'd been looking forward to Haley's for years due to its relatively short cycle and renown.  Couldn't see tail with a telescope on a dark mountain.

5 of 7 (575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 9, 2012 12:27:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Nov 9, 2012 at 12:29:39 PM

JefferMC wrote:

I do believe I saw that.  But I'd been looking forward to Haley's for years due to its relatively short cycle and renown.  Couldn't see tail with a telescope on a dark mountain.

Haley's was spectacular - a spectacular flop.  A fellow photog hooked his Canon A1 to a telescope and used an equatoral mount and got a nicely defined tail but it was on a loooong time exposure.  I do recall many astronomers telling folks over and over that Haley's wasn't going to be that big of a deal and there would be other and better ones. 

There was a Southern Hemisphere comet a couple of years back that was widely seen, even in daylight.  I will have to peruse spaceweather.com and get the scoop on the new one.  Looking forward to it and the total eclipses in 2017 abd 2024, lol.

[ Edited ]
6 of 7 (569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 9, 2012 8:17:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

My dad used to tell me about a visit from Haley's Comet back in the early years of the 20th century.....around 1906 I think.  He said that it was more spectacular back then.  But I agree.....last time I tried to observe it....it was a tremendous flop.

I gather this one is not supposed to get any closer than 1/2 AU from us.  But it will come VERY close to the sun.  That might become interesting.

By the way...Jupiter has made his way around the other side of Earth during the summer and is now very bright....rising in the east.  By around 9 PM tonight it was gleaming brightly about 45 to 50 degrees above the horizon.  Wish I owned a good reflector scope.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

7 of 7 (546 Views)