Posted Jun 29, 2013
6:13:27 AM
best ethernet cable type to use cat5 cat6

i want to connect my Playstation3 & Tv & Computer to my residential gateway with ethernet cable . what is the best type to use

best ethernet cable type to use cat5 cat6

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 29, 2013 6:46:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
flahin0 - I believe you would not detect a difference in 5. 3e, 6 or any shielded. They are all inexpensive, but do not get obvious junk.

monoprice. com is one of many good sources. Good value, good service, good price. Do not pay more, unless it is for super convenience.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: best ethernet cable type to use cat5 cat6

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 29, 2013 2:01:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

flahin0 wrote:

i want to connect my Playstation3 & Tv & Computer to my residential gateway with ethernet cable . what is the best type to use

Use cat5e as the RG is designed for that. :smileywink:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 1, 2013 7:37:20 AM
(0)
Employee

aviewer wrote:
flahin0 - I believe you would not detect a difference in 5. 3e, 6 or any shielded. They are all inexpensive, but do not get obvious junk.

monoprice. com is one of many good sources. Good value, good service, good price. Do not pay more, unless it is for super convenience.

In nearly every case, you'd want to stay away from the shielded (since it's "UTP" they call it "screened") stuff.

If you plug a shielded cable into jacks and / or equipment that is not shielded, the best case is that you've wasted money, the worst case is that the shield can act as an antenna and create more noise on the line.

If the shielding is not properly grounded and bonded, with rare exception, it absolutely degrades the quality of the connection and can add noise throughout the system.

UTP ( Cat{anything} ), in conjunction with nearly all Category-rated RJ45 jacks and transceivers in the equipment, are more than capable of diminishing or eliminating the influence of common mode noise, and relieve the installer the extra pain of proper shield grounding for each cable.

To the original question: There will be no pactical difference between Cat5/5e and Cat6/6a for the purposes of U-verse equipment. Unless you are doing a full-boat structured cabling installation of your house, stick with Cat 5/5e.

When you get around to using 10GigE, then update your cabling.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.