Posted Jul 5, 2013
Fiber to Brick?

Well, my 2Wire DSL modem is officially dying (I think this is the 3rd one), so I signed up for U-Verse internet.  Activation date is 10 days away.  I hope the old DSL modem lasts that long.  Anyway, I had a question which the U-Verse expert at the AT&T store could not answer.  The question is, how can I tell if my neighborhood has Fiber to the Premises available?  The reason for the concern is that U-Verse over copper is known to cause radio interference (at HF frequencies) which does not have a good track record for satisfactory resolution.  Has anyone dealt with this issue before?  I will know within 5 minutes of installation if U-Verse is going to work or not, but If there is some way to know ahead of time, it may not be too late to cancel the activation and go with cable internet, which I know works without causing interference.

Thanks in advance for your advice

Fiber to Brick?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)
You signed up for internet only? , are you doing a self install? Modem being purchased or leased?
If can do CSI, purchase your modem then depending on modem 510 (adsl2+), 3600 or 5031 (vdsl) not fiber to premise
If leased modem 3800 or 3801 will be fiber to node 98% of time, 2% fiber to preimse

New construction, condo, upscale apartments, homes in 250k+ new (within past 3 years) good chance to be FTTP,
The older dwellings regardless of cost will be 99% of time FTTN.

Uverse over copper does NOT cause radio interference but is affected by it, closer to radio broadcast towers with overhead (aerial) wiring will see greater issues than being farther away with underground buried cable that is grounded. How are you receive your DSL now, phones lines to NID then that is how you should expect to receive uverse internet . Like most things in life when it works correctly do not think about, when problems arise how one handles adversity determines their perception.

Thought: more people die in bed than any other place, if you want to afford being a statistic then sleep in a chair or on the couch..
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Fiber to Brick?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 5, 2013
(0)

Bauro wrote:

Well, my 2Wire DSL modem is officially dying (I think this is the 3rd one), so I signed up for U-Verse internet.  Activation date is 10 days away.  I hope the old DSL modem lasts that long.  Anyway, I had a question which the U-Verse expert at the AT&T store could not answer.  The question is, how can I tell if my neighborhood has Fiber to the Premises available?  The reason for the concern is that U-Verse over copper is known to cause radio interference (at HF frequencies) which does not have a good track record for satisfactory resolution.  Has anyone dealt with this issue before?  I will know within 5 minutes of installation if U-Verse is going to work or not, but If there is some way to know ahead of time, it may not be too late to cancel the activation and go with cable internet, which I know works without causing interference.

Thanks in advance for your advice

We have U-verse Internet AND TV service.  Have not had a problem with interference on the HF bands.  Our house is wired with coax....not CAT 5 and all the AT&T copper in the neighborhood is buried.  No elevated lines.

WD0P

"I offered my opponents a deal: if they stop telling lies about me,
I will stop telling the truth about them".
~Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952..

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2013
(0)

ifif you are having interference issues I would suggest running the rg on a coax home run or a shielded cat5 home run and make sure it is grounded and that should take care of your issue. FTTP will not be a deciding factor with rf issues 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)

Well, I did a little more research on this over the weekend, both internet research (Google U-Verse radio interference) , and talking to hams who have tried U-Verse.  To my surprise, the major issue is not RFI generated by U-Verse over copper.  The main issue seems to be that U-Verse operates on frequencies allocated to HF ham radio, therefore HF ham transmissions on or near those frequencies totally annihilate U-Verse TV and internet.  While a few cases have been resolved satisfactorily, several other cases have been dragging on for up to 3 years with no resolution.  Worse yet, AT&T technicians who are unable to resolve the issue with neighbors, have been known to blame the hams, going so far as to give the neighbors the hams name and address. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

At any rate, of the hams who I have talked to who have tried U-Verse, 100% of them said don't do it, it won't work, and AT&T can't fix it.  So, based on the above, I will be cancelling my U-Verse installation.  If any of my neighbors decide to try U-Verse, I wish them luck ........

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)

Many times the  hams are at fault, their licesnse specificallly state they must shield everything properly (avoiding interference of any type) and many do not on their high power rig. 

Just takes 1 little ground fault to send all the spurious signals out that interfere w/Uverse's 0-8300Hz properly contained signal. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 8, 2013
(0)

FCC regulations regarding Ham Radio are contained in FCC Part 97, easily found on the internet.  It does not say what you think it says.  If you want to read some interesting FCC stuff, however, take a look at the FCC Part 15 statement affixed to your modem / gateway, TV, or other consumer electronics toys.  Read that and consider what it says.

I have no doubt that U-Verse is the greatest thing since sliced bread when delivered over fiber optics cable, as it was intended.  Fiber optics cable is plastic.  It does not act as an antenna to radiate or receive electromagnetic signals.  It does not seem realistic to think that U-Verse will work just as well when delivered over a poorly maintained 65 year old network of copper wire which acts as a perfect giant radio antenna.

One of the frequencies utilized by U-Verse is 1.9 Mhz.  I know of one case where a 1 watt ham signal on the 1.9 Mhz  (aka 160 meter band) would completely take out U-Verse TV and internet.  AT&T could not resolve it.  That should not be possible if the U-Verse systems are properly contained.  Gotta wonder how U-verse over copper would do, say, a mile from a 50KW AM broadcast station on 950 Khz.  I bet that first harmonic on 1900 would block U-Verse completely.

Anyway, I was able to cancel my U-Verse order and buy another one of these disposable DSL modems for now, so it’s all a moot point as far as this installation is concerned.  As much as I hate to, it looks like I will have to switch to cable internet if I want higher speed and better reliability than the DSL.  I hate to do that.  I like AT&T.  I am not particularly fond of the cable company, but, I have to admit, it is pretty reliable. I have had AT&T internet since the ISDN days, and I hate to make the switch, but, it is clear to me that U-Verse will not work successfully in this environment.  On the day when I see an AT&T truck stringing fiber optics cable down my street, I will be first in line to sign up for U-Verse, but, until then, I have to look elsewhere.

Thanks everyone for your input.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 9, 2013
(0)

Properly terminated/shielded/grounded twisted pairs of copper wire, in bundles with other similarly terminated/shielded/grounded twisted pairs, convey signal from point A to point B just fine, even within the HAM operating range.  Unterminated pairs can act as giant antennas and cause crosstalk to other properly terminated pairs.

Yes, it is possible for properly operating HAM stations to influence the proper transmission of data.  There are various tools available (grounding, chokes, ferrite cores, etc) to help minimize this.  It is possible for improperly operating HAM stations to influence the proper transmission of data as well, and these do exist.

AM radio stations can often cause an issue.  However, since they broadcast all the time on a fixed frequency, the RG and VRAD negotiate to not use that frequency band: problem solved and the expense of a little bandwidth.

You won't know what problems you may have had with VDSL2 until you bite the bullet and convert to it.