For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Ednooutvoip's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, September 10th, 2014 12:50 AM

Cannot hear out going calls, incoming calls always work

Need help !!  U-verse Internet, TV and voice installed 1 month ago. I cannot hear the phone ringing or the voice when the other person answers. Incoming calls work perfect. From the day of the install outgoing calls have had this problem 10-40 minutes after a new modem is installed. I have spent hours on the phone with tech support. 6 techs have come to my house spending 10's of hours with the VOM and NOC support teams. sometimes they fix the problem, but it returns minutes later when an update of the modem is pushed thru. The NOC support team rerouted my service to there location and tested the line for a few hours and it worked fine from their location. I am on modem number 6 (NVG589), every new modem works perfect out of the box for 30 minutes or so. As soon as you see an update being pushed in, the problem returns. They have moved me to a new port at the VRAD with no change. They suggested a rip and rebuild of the entire account, however I have not been contacted yet. The best information I have is that the incoming volume on dialed  calls is being reset to "0" when the update is pushed in. A long post, but I wanted to eliminate repeating unsuccessful procedures. I am sure someone knows exactly what the issue is, the techs just have not found him yet. Thanks for any and all help. Best Regards Ed

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Ed,

I am so sorry about the prolonged issues you are having with your U-verse VOIP service, but I will be glad to help. 

With your phone setup, is the phone directly connected to the back of the U-verse gateway? Also, if possible, can you test with a corded phone? Finally, do you have any additional settings on your U-verse gateway, such as changes in the firewall settings or port forwarding setup?

-David T

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hi David,

Thanks for responding.
Yes the phone is plugged directly into the modem.
Yes, I have tried a 2nd hard wired phone directly in to the modem.
Each of the 5 Uverse techs tried the 2nd phone and replaced the phone wiring also.

The the wireless encryption is disabled.
The packet filter is disabled.
Ports 1 thru 7546 are forwarded.
Ports 7548 thru 65535 are also forwarded.
The router name has been changed to Uverse 7

You can call me at the numbers listed in the account.

Best Regards
Ed

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

For future reference for anyone else that has this issue.

We were able to talk and thanks to his son and his expertise with wireshark, we were able to find out that one of the ports he was forwarding was intercepting the packet. We removed that rule, and everything is working.

-David T

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your great help David.

One last important point: A hard reset does NOT clear port forwarding settings.

They must be manually reset.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I am having this exact issue. The troubleshooting link provided has no information about it. What had to be done to resolve it?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

@Robert_Z, do you have an NV 5031?  Do you have a router configured behind it?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I have an Arris NVG589. I do have a router behind it, but there are no port forwarding rules configured. The gateway has the factory settings. I ended up calling support. We had to do three factory resets on it and the technician had to reprovision the line, but it eventially started working again. My concern is that the gateway will "update" like the OP indicates and the phone will fail again. For now, though, everthing is functioning.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

Okay.  Glad it's working.  There is a particular issue with the firmware of the NV 5031 when you have a router attached to it in DMZplus mode.  Since you don't, that issue won't affect you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.