Need help connecting your router?
Artutti's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, July 17th, 2013 2:07 AM

Changing computers to hook up uverse

I recently had to get a new computer. I put my Uverse connector into the USB port, went through all the process of setting up the connection. It says it's connected but when I try to get on the internet it says there is no connection. I am using Windows 7. Is there some problem here I don't know about. Have I missed a step?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

mickeymc - I am not aware of any special U-verse software. The network connection is just a standard/generic network connection on your computer that you can use anywhere there is a network portal available. My answer was based on at least one previous post where that automatic selection of wired vs. wireless did not go smoothly on the same OS you mention.

For everyone else it has been plug and play. The computer selects a wired or wireless connection automatically.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Artutti - You are confusing the USB connection with the network connection. The USB is used for external mouse, keyboard, files, camera, etc. It could be used for a wireless adapter. You are probably using the correct network jack with a cat5 cable.

You were previously NOT using wireless & want to continue that?? So, that could be the problem. The computer is automatically trying to use the wireless that is not there. Make sure the wireless is off in the computer & the network cable is connected & turn on the computer & it should find the wired network connection automatically.

If you are in-fact trying to connect wirelessly, male sure yopu are on teh right network & it should be asking for your access code from the modem.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

So just so that I'm clear, could you please clarify. I just bought a new computer and have Uverse internet. Do I simply need to plugin my firewire cable and go through the normal connection process? Or do I need to reinstall the AT&T software onto my computer and go through a complete install, as if I was a new customer?

I use the gateway for Uverse TV, internet and phone and have complete home wi-fi. I just want to make sure that I connect the new computer properly, without complications.

Thanks.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Plug and play is great. Thanks for the reply.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I am hooked up to ATT U-verse and have a WiFi network name and Password and have Windows 7. I recently had to erase everything and restart from new. where do I put name and password to get hooked up to internet?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.