Need help connecting your router?
w8n4fyr's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, July 8th, 2013 10:07 PM

Can a 6 pin DSL plug be replaced by a 4 pin phone plug?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.
Background: We have Uverse internet/TV at our house. When the tech initially installed the line, they ran a "home run" straight from the box that terminates with a male end (6-pin DSL plug)  that was drilled up through the floor and plugged into the modem, instead of installing a jack in the wall with a female connection.
Yesterday I rerouted the line in my house so that I could move the TV/modem from the living room to the family room. In order to be able to pull the line through a few small holes going into and out of the crawl space, I removed the 6 pin dsl plug on the end by snipping the cable. I rerouted the line where it needed to go, making sure not to damage it as I secured it along the ceiling in the garage and through the wall in the family room. I did not need to unplug it from the phone box on the side of the house or mess with that end at all. 

Once i was done with that, I went to an electronics store to buy a new plug and all they had was standard 4 pin plugs, but said it should work. I went ahead and crimped a head on with the 2 dsl wires that were used in the originial head (green and white) attached into the 2 middle leads. Now I am not able to get a dsl signal on the modem (flashing red light on broadband blinker on modem). I tried 5 different times with the 2 wires flip flopped in the same ports with no luck. Could it be that the different head is the problem? I am quite certain that the issue is with this new connection but am not sure.

Thanks again

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

w8n4fyr - The six pin connector is RJ-45 and the 4 pin is RJ-11. You can google these to get wiring diagrams. I believe the RJ-11 does work in the RJ-45. Two things to watch for - does it fit properly & what pins are actually carrying your signal.

I am surprised you could not get the proper plug.jack. Lowes & Home Depot should have what you need. YOu should make an effort to use the right size jack/plug for reliability.

I believe the RG has both and Rj-45 and an RJ-11 input. If you match your wall jack to either one. a standard tel patch (RJ-11) or cat5 (RJ-45) would connect the two.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the reply...I followed your advice and istalled an RJ11 jack and got the green light. I think my problem was I didn't put the head back on correctly as I was having a hard time getting the wires to line up with the correct pins. Female jack was much easier to wire. Thanks again

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.