embassy2934's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Thursday, April 18th, 2013 7:51 PM

unwanted wireless tv traffic

Whenever I turn on a receiver (stb) the RG transmits the Uverse tv stream to the receiver twice: once over the HomePNA interface and simultaneously over the Wireless network.  The wireless tranmission is superfluous as I don't have any wireless receivers (they are all connected via house coax cable).  It uses up so much bandwidth that no devices can connect to the access point, so I need to suppress it.  I have upgraded the RG and tried to use MAC filtering to block the receivers from the wireless network, but neither has any effect.  Any ideas on how I might prevent the RG from sending the TV signal over the WLAN?

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Very interesting issue. 

Please keep us upated and let us know what the tech says!

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Very interesting! Great detective work on your part!

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

I believe that this behavior falls under:

You can get a flood of Wireless traffic from your own routers when you connect them to the same "leg" from the RG as an STB and the exact symptoms you're talking about.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

The Marantz AVR was connected to both a STB and the WNCE3001 (the first via HDMI and the second via Ethernet cable) and as I understand it the WNCE3001 looks like a router to the Marantz, so you could say this is an instance of a router being connected on the same leg as a STB.  At least there was a path from the STB to the router-like thing thru the Marantz.  So maybe there is nothing wrong with the WNCE3001, I just violated a rule.  Since the other STBs in the house share an HPNA network I guess this would create a path from them to the WNCE3001 as well, so the flood occurred when any one of them was turned on.  So to WiFi-enable the Marantz I would need a different kind of interface device that doesn't do routing - some kind of dongle or something.  Live and learn.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

embassy2934 - Why is the Marantz wi-fi not able to access the U-verse wi-fi? Or, is it that the Maantz is not wi-fi? Connect it cat5 to the RG. Or, is the nearby STB connected coax? Then connect the Marantz to the STB network jack vis cat5.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

The Marantz is not WiFi.  Most of the Internet services I use are available via the Blu-Ray player which is WiFi, so no great urgency to WiFi -enabling the Marantz.  That's an interesting suggestion about the STB (all my STBs are connected to the RG via coax).  I'll think about that one.  Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Can you claify what the WNCE3001 is connected to?

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

It was connected to the Ethernet port on the Marantz 6007 audio/video receiver.  One of the input sources to the Marantz is the Uverse STB.  The theory is that this created a path from the STB thru the Marantz to the WNCE3001, which emulates a router, thus constituting a router on the same leg (from the RG) as a STB, which apparently causes a flood of wireless traffic when the STB is on.  Statistics strongly suggest that the "flood" is actually the Uverse TV signal being repeated over WiFi.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

So I'm picturing it like this:

RG <--Coax--> STB <-  Ethernet -> Mrantz 6007 <- Ethernet -> WNCE3001.

Is that right?

For the record, yes the STB does serve as a repeater (aka hub) between the HPNA/Coax interface and the Ethernet interface.

If the Mrantz is connected via Ethernet to the STB, then the WNCE3001 is superfluous anyway.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

I think there is some confusion here.

The Marantz has only one ethernet port. So, the connection from it to the STB is HDMI or component. These would not contain ethernet traffic.

The WNCE3001, is connected to the single Marantz network jack to make it wireless.

It says it is dual band. If you have wireless STBs, the WNCE3001 is picking up the TV signal from that network & laying it on the ethernet wireless.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.