Posted Apr 18, 2013
12:51:46 PM
unwanted wireless tv traffic

Whenever I turn on a receiver (stb) the RG transmits the Uverse tv stream to the receiver twice: once over the HomePNA interface and simultaneously over the Wireless network.  The wireless tranmission is superfluous as I don't have any wireless receivers (they are all connected via house coax cable).  It uses up so much bandwidth that no devices can connect to the access point, so I need to suppress it.  I have upgraded the RG and tried to use MAC filtering to block the receivers from the wireless network, but neither has any effect.  Any ideas on how I might prevent the RG from sending the TV signal over the WLAN?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 27, 2013 4:50:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Since the DVR is feed by COAX just plug in an ethernet cable to the ethernet port on the back of the DVR and the other end into the Marantz.  That will get you internet to the Marantz.  Of course this is not supported bt AT&T but it works.  I have one set up that way in my BR.  STB fed by COAX then an ethernet cable from the ethernet port on the STB to my Sony TV on the wall.  Works fine.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

unwanted wireless tv traffic

37 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(37)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2013 4:14:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Are you sure it's not coming from a neighbor with a wireless receiver?  As I understand it, the wireless boxes have a seperate "N" wireless transmitter that plugs into an ethernet port on the RG and it's solely for that purpose.  You can use inSSIDer  to check.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: unwanted wireless tv traffic

2 of 38 (2,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2013 6:18:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yes, the wireless TV is separate - needs a WAP.

My question is how is the problem showing itself?

I believe initial transmission of a tumed channel is "multicast" - that is It is transmitted to all devices via COAX/HPNA and cat5 network connections. This can overwhelm some ancillary switches/routers & maybe has been known to clobber wireless if there is a fault in the RG.

3 of 38 (2,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2013 7:40:25 AM
(0)
Teacher

The problem doesn't occur when all set top boxes are off, and always occurs when any of them are on, so it appears to be confined to my equipment.  Looking at Settings/LAN/Status at Packets transmitted on the Wireless and HomePNA1 connections, the numbers go up in lock step when a set top box is on, so the same packets must be getting transmitted by my RG on both networks.

4 of 38 (2,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2013 7:47:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
embassy2934 - Why not call in & have them remotely test the RG. Then they wil send you a new one. Or, decide you need a tech visit. If you request a tech visit they may say it will be a charge,

5 of 38 (2,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2013 7:48:10 AM
(0)
Teacher

AT&T suspected a faulty RG and sent me a new one, but the problem persists.  The symptoms include loss of Internet connection while sending/receiving email or Web surfing, and rapid drain of battery power in my phone due to repeated attempts to re-connect to the RG.  Looking at packet statistics on Settings/LAN/Status in the RG, the numbers for Wireless and HomePNA1 go up rapidly in lockstep as soon as any set top box is turned on, suggesting that the same packets are being transmitted by the RG on both networks.

6 of 38 (2,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2013 7:53:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

They already replaced the RG with a (slightly) newer one which didn't have any effect.  Probably a tech visit is inevitable, as from the many hours of online research I have done it appears I am the only one on this planet at least that has had this phenomenon.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

7 of 38 (2,454 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2013 8:01:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
embassy2934 - Just to cover the elephant in the room - you do not have any other routers/switched - only the RG??

Your problem sounds like you have a router/switch in a path connected to both computers and STBs. If you need an additional router/switches path should have ONLY computers or STBs.

8 of 38 (2,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2013 8:24:00 PM
(0)
Professor
From the duplicate post, which has not been merged with this yet:

Doubt the RG is generating Wifi traffic, when you watch tv. Something else is going on at the same time. What all do you have connected to your RG, and how do you have those devices connected to it?

How many are wireless, how many connected via HPNA (Coax), how many connected via Ethernet (Cat-5e/Cat-6), what switches do you have, how are the switches connected to the RG, are there any third party devices connected to the back of the DVR or STB's (Set Top Boxes), through the Ethernet port, if they are connected via Coax back to the RG.

As for 1990's coax, actually Coax dates back as far as the 1920's.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

9 of 38 (2,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2013 6:39:33 AM
(0)
Teacher

All I have is the RG.  I don't own any other router.

10 of 38 (2,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2013 7:04:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

My configuration is very simple.  The RG is the only router I own.  Its only input is the AT&T DSL line.  The two outputs are coax and wireless - I don't use any Ethernet ports.  The coax was installed around 1990 by the builder to make the place 'cable ready" as was the custom then, so it's not cat5e I don't think.  The coax cable comes out of the RG and goes to a splitter which sends the Uverse TV signal over three other coax runs which terminate at wired STBs.  This is all that is on the HPNA network.  I have several devices that regularly connect to the RG via WiFi:  a laptop, my smartphone, a printer, and a Blu-Ray player.  When I press the Power button on any of the STBs the "Wireless" light on the RG blinks very rapidly, the laptop connection slows down and drops out a lot, and the phone loses its connection and tries repeatedly to re-connect, using up battery power rapidly.  Looking at the RGs statistics (Settings/LAN/Status) you can see that packets transmitted on HPNA closely matches those transmitted on Wireless, so the same information is being sent over WiFi as over HPNA - namely, the consolidated Uverse TV signal.  If I turn off the STB everything goes back to normal.  Maybe the RG sends each packet first over WiFi, then when it doesn't get an acknowledgement (because the STBs don't have any WiFi adapters), resends them over HPNA.  Maybe if I could get it to send the TV packets over HPNA first the problem would go away. Or  maybe I should get a separate router for WiFi and chain it off the RG?

11 of 38 (2,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2013 1:22:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

This is very strange.  (Correctly functioning) RGs do not broadcast IPTV over WiFi.  They only transmit it out the ports where STBs are responding, e.g. the HPNA Coax and any Ethernet LAN port where an STB has responded.

When using Wireless receivers, there is a seperate WAP used for that, different frequency (5 GHz), different protocol (802.11n).

You can get a flood of Wireless traffic from your own routers when you connect them to the same "leg" from the RG as an STB and the exact symptoms you're talking about.

12 of 38 (2,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2013 1:50:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks, that is some interesting info.  If I do get my own router I expect I will chain it off one of the RG's Ethernet ports, so that would be a different "leg" than the STBs.  Probably the best thing I can do now is schedule a tech visit.  Thanks again.

13 of 38 (2,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 20, 2013 2:46:41 PM
(0)
Professor
Try going to Settings, then Diagnostics, then click on "Reset to Factory Default State". You will need the Master Password off of the RG, to do this.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

14 of 38 (2,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2013 11:22:00 AM
(0)
Teacher

I did the reset to factory default with no problem, then did some data gathering and calculations to measure Wireless and HPNA transmission rates with a STB on and off.  I did this by looking at Traffic Statistics for Wireless and HomePNA1 on the Settings/LAN/Status page, taking readings at one minute intervals.  Here is the data with one STB turned on:

TIME     Wireless Pkts    Delta      HomePNA1 Pkts    Delta

12:57       41940                               41922

12:58       72960            31020         72926                  31004

12:59      104683           31723        104608                 31682

1:00        135126          30443        134989                 30381

1:01        166271          31145         165936                30947

1:02        198561          32290         198203                32267

1:03        228864          30303         228464                30261

1:04        259416          30552         258971                30507

1:05        290584          31168         290130                31159

AVG w/ STB on:            31080                                     31026

So, with one STB on the RG transmits around 31K packets per minute on both the Wireless and HPNA interfaces.  Here is the data with the STB turned off:

1:08       323197                             322440

1:09       323462                  265      322657                   217

1:10      323684                   222      322760                   103

1:11        323864                 180       322842                   82

1:12      324187                   323       322946                   104

1:13      324476                   289       323212                   266

1:14      324725                   249        323403                  191

1:15      324955                   230        323512                  109

AVG w/STB off:                    251                                       153

So, with the STB off the RG transmits only minimal traffic over the two interfaces and the rates are not correlated.  With it on the RG transmits 31K packets per minute over both interfaces with the rates closely correlated.  Conclusion:  the Uverse TV stream is being transmitted over both interfaces concurrently.  Problem to be solved:  how to stop the TV transmissions over Wireless.

15 of 38 (2,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2013 6:29:48 PM
(0)
Professor
Something is pulling wireless traffic. Turn off the Wireless radio on the RG and see what happens. Also, you can try by running a Ethernet line to a box, from the RG, and see what happens.

16 of 38 (2,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2013 9:50:01 AM
(0)
Teacher

After turning off wireless, all TV traffic went over HPNA only, generating about 11K packets per minute.  When I ran an Ethernet cable from the RG to the STB there were huge amounts of traffic on HPNA and on the Ethernet ports in use (one connected to the TV, the other to the laptop I was using to control the test), to the degree that I couldn't access the RG.  I figure that although a STB has connections for both coax and Ethernet, only one should be used at a time.  So, I disconnected the coax from the STB, removing it from the HPNA network.  Running the TV off Ethernet there was minimal traffic on HPNA (for the other STBs in the house that were off) and the laptop's Ethernet port, and about 11K packets per minute on the Ethernet port driving the STB that was on.  This would be proper behavior for STBs connected via Ethernet cable.  Then I turned Wireless back on.  Immediately I got equal amounts of traffic on both the Ethernet port connected to the STB and on Wireless, in this case around 10K packets per minute.  Conclusion:  any time Wireless is enabled the RG tries to double-send the TV signal over WiFi and whatever network the STB is connected to, no matter whether that is HPNA coax or Ethernet.  So, the problem isn't caused by old house coax cable, or the RG (since this is a brand new one that I got to try and fix the problem), or the firmware, since that is the same for everybody and I'm the only one getting this problem.  It is probably not a setting in the RG since it has just been reset to factory defaults.  So, maybe it is something about the STBs that is causing the RG to try and double-send the TV signal.  Maybe I need to upgrade those.

17 of 38 (2,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2013 10:13:59 AM
(0)
Professor
Something is not right. I would have a tech come on site, and look things over. There is something missing here, because you should not be getting the packet flooding that you are getting.

18 of 38 (2,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2013 10:24:14 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks to everyone's input I have a lot better understanding of the issue when I do get a tech on site.  It should interest them since apparently it has never been seen before.  Thanks again.

19 of 38 (2,276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2013 11:43:22 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Very interesting issue. 

Please keep us upated and let us know what the tech says!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

20 of 38 (2,208 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 25, 2013 12:42:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

This issue seems to be resolved.  The tech came out and replaced some parts (VDSL splitter mainly), tested the cabling, installed yet another RG, and generally brought everything up to current standards.  Everything was working fine when he left.  Later, as I went around connecting my various devices to the new RG, suddenly it started again - the Wireless light started blinking rapidly and devices could not connect.  It began to dawn on me that since nobody else in the world had experienced  this problem, it must be due to something that is unique to my environment, such as the specific devices I had connect to the wireless network.  One of the last devices I had connected was a Netgear WNCE3001.  This is basically an Ethernet-to-WiFi interface device.  It is most often used to WiFi-enable audio/video gear with an Ethernet port but no wireless capability built in.  My Marantz 6007 audio/video receiver supports the use of AirPlay and Spotify, which I wanted to try out on my network, which is wireless only.  The WNCE3001 was very easy to set up and worked beautifully.  Apparently though, when any set top box in the house is turned on (even in a different room from the Netgear device) it somehow causes the RG to repeat the Uverse TV stream over the WiFi network, using up all the bandwidth and making it impossible for other devices to maintain/establish connection.  Once I powered off the WNCE3001 the problem went away.  Now I see that many people have experienced similar problems with this product.  Unless somebody can figure out a way to configure this thing so it doesn't screw up the WiFi network I definitely recommend that Uverse customers avoid buying it.  If you want a service that is provided by an Ethernet-only device you are probably better off installing an Apple TV or Roku, which most likely can deliver any service you want.  Take away message:  avoid the WNCE3001 like the plague!

21 of 38 (2,224 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2013 12:44:03 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Very interesting! Great detective work on your part!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

22 of 38 (2,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2013 2:20:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I believe that this behavior falls under:

You can get a flood of Wireless traffic from your own routers when you connect them to the same "leg" from the RG as an STB and the exact symptoms you're talking about.

23 of 38 (2,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2013 3:34:23 PM
(0)
Teacher

The Marantz AVR was connected to both a STB and the WNCE3001 (the first via HDMI and the second via Ethernet cable) and as I understand it the WNCE3001 looks like a router to the Marantz, so you could say this is an instance of a router being connected on the same leg as a STB.  At least there was a path from the STB to the router-like thing thru the Marantz.  So maybe there is nothing wrong with the WNCE3001, I just violated a rule.  Since the other STBs in the house share an HPNA network I guess this would create a path from them to the WNCE3001 as well, so the flood occurred when any one of them was turned on.  So to WiFi-enable the Marantz I would need a different kind of interface device that doesn't do routing - some kind of dongle or something.  Live and learn.

24 of 38 (2,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2013 4:09:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by aviewer on Apr 25, 2013 at 4:18:51 PM

embassy2934 - Why is the Marantz wi-fi not able to access the U-verse wi-fi? Or, is it that the Maantz is not wi-fi? Connect it cat5 to the RG. Or, is the nearby STB connected coax? Then connect the Marantz to the STB network jack vis cat5.

[ Edited ]
25 of 38 (2,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2013 5:08:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

The Marantz is not WiFi.  Most of the Internet services I use are available via the Blu-Ray player which is WiFi, so no great urgency to WiFi -enabling the Marantz.  That's an interesting suggestion about the STB (all my STBs are connected to the RG via coax).  I'll think about that one.  Thanks.

26 of 38 (2,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2013 6:34:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Can you claify what the WNCE3001 is connected to?

27 of 38 (2,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2013 9:07:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

It was connected to the Ethernet port on the Marantz 6007 audio/video receiver.  One of the input sources to the Marantz is the Uverse STB.  The theory is that this created a path from the STB thru the Marantz to the WNCE3001, which emulates a router, thus constituting a router on the same leg (from the RG) as a STB, which apparently causes a flood of wireless traffic when the STB is on.  Statistics strongly suggest that the "flood" is actually the Uverse TV signal being repeated over WiFi.

28 of 38 (2,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2013 9:33:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

So I'm picturing it like this:

RG <--Coax--> STB <-  Ethernet -> Mrantz 6007 <- Ethernet -> WNCE3001.

Is that right?

For the record, yes the STB does serve as a repeater (aka hub) between the HPNA/Coax interface and the Ethernet interface.

If the Mrantz is connected via Ethernet to the STB, then the WNCE3001 is superfluous anyway.

29 of 38 (2,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2013 10:30:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
I think there is some confusion here.

The Marantz has only one ethernet port. So, the connection from it to the STB is HDMI or component. These would not contain ethernet traffic.

The WNCE3001, is connected to the single Marantz network jack to make it wireless.

It says it is dual band. If you have wireless STBs, the WNCE3001 is picking up the TV signal from that network & laying it on the ethernet wireless.

30 of 38 (2,112 Views)