Posted May 9, 2013
extending uverse tv, wifi internet, and phone

We have a room far in our backyard that is beyond the reach of our wifi and cordless phones.  We would like to add uverse tv service, a phone line, and internet wifi access to this room.  We already have all of these services via Uverse in the main house.  We are planning to bring a cat5 cable from the RG in the house to this room and hope that a wireless STB and its required WAP would be enough to get the TV, phone, and internet wifi.  Anyone know if this is the case or do we need to bring multiple cat5 cables and maybe a phone line?   Thanks!

extending uverse tv, wifi internet, and phone

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2013
(0)
phillipwkennedy - It is good that you can run a cat5 cable to the distant location. You should have one connection for computers and one for TV.

The WAP wireless is for TV only. Seems to me you could use a wired STB.

You will need a wireless router to feed the computer. Could the computer be wired?

The cat5 cable has multiple pairs & only one is used for service. I have seen posts that you can do custom wiring to use additional pairs in the same cable. One for TV and one for computer.

Another possibility is COAX - connect the COAX to the STB and a cat5 cable from the STB to the computer.

And, you need another pair for the phone - either another pair in the cat5 or a separate cable.
Check out the distance to make sure the rin is not too long.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: extending uverse tv, wifi internet, and phone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2013
(0)

Thanks aviewer!  I also am not sure exactly what kind of wire I would need to run for the phone.  Currently our phone base station plugs into the back of the RG with a standard telephone extension line.  Would I need to put in a telephone line splitter into the RG and then run one of the split lines down to the outside room with its own phone base station.  The distance is about 125 feet across and down 20 feet below (I think this is the problem for all the wireless because the signal would have to go through a big retaining wall and alot of dirt.)  Thanks for your help!  Phil

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2013
(0)
Phil - I do not know the length restrictions on the cat5/COAX for data/TV/ I am hoping someone more technical can chime in. The telephone distance should not be a problem.

As far as physical considerations - any wire should last ten years. If you want something better you need outside rating or plastic conduit.

Connectivity for telephone is easy -
2- pair cable - red/green & black/yellow
r/g is first line - inside pins on RG-11 jack
b/y is second line - outside pins on RG-11 jack
Splitters are attractive, but only for plug-ended wire. If you are going to connect a bare wire, there is a better way. The splitter is too ugly and fragile.

Get a two outlet wall plate. Connect the two outlets together & to a house feed including the outside one (at that location or somewhere else). Just match the four colors.

Connect an RJ-11 jack ended cord from the RG to the wall & another from the wall to the phone base.

Another thought for the phone - How old is it? I was thinking a new 6.0 DECT would reach. So, I picked mine up & walked 130-175 ft to the corner & got dial tone fine.

Then I remember there was a post that an installer told a customer - You won't believe how far this WAP will reach.

Then all you would need is a high power wi-fi for the computer.

Wired is still better, but wireless could work for you.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2013
(0)

The coax for U-Verse does not have a formal length limitation as far as I know, and practical limitations should be quite a bit longer than the 150' you're speaking of.

But I don't think you need to use coax. Two Cat5e Ethernet cables and one Cat3 phone cable (or, if more convenient, three Cat5e Ethernet cables) would be able to bring all services to the outside room.

Use one Ethernet for computers, the 2nd for a wired STB, and the 3rd just use a single pair for phone using RJ11 connectors on both ends.

On the house side, plug both Ethernets into the RG and plug the RJ11 from the phone into any phone outlet (use a splitter at the RG if required).

On the outside room side, plug one Ethernet into a wireless router's LAN port, and then use the other LAN ports for wired computers and the wireless for any wireless computers. (Set up the router in accordance with post #13 in the "UVerse for Business" thread).

Plug the other Ethernet into a wired STB for TV.

Plug the 3rd Ethernet RJ11 into a phone.

Ethernet's formal length limitation is 300 feet, which is less than the run you're thinking about.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 7, 2013
(0)

You might look into something like this: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/WN3000RP.aspx

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

Re: Range of wireless receiver needs to be increased - Help!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 7, 2013
(0)
Could try moving the WAP to main floor closest to backyard location.
This involves running a new Ethernet cable from RG to WAP location.
Or run a coax cable RG to backyard buried, replace wireless STB with hardwired.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 7, 2013
(0)

my thoughts wrote:
Could try moving the WAP to main floor closest to backyard location.
This involves running a new Ethernet cable from RG to WAP location.
Or run a coax cable RG to backyard buried, replace wireless STB with hardwired.

Or instead of doing all that, take BeeBeeSA's advice and get a wireless extender. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 7, 2013
(0)
From OP previous posts in May, distance about 150 feet, 20 feet downhill, thru a retaining wall and earth.
A wireless extender is best about halfway between, no electrical or enclosure 60-80 feet in backyard.
This is to provide wireless tv not wireless internet, best would be hardwired connection, coax buried, or cat5 buried ideally thru conduct.
Sounds like a boathouse trying to provide services for....initially desired phones, tv, pc connection.
No mention if phones and pc problem were resolved, op still trying for tv service.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 7, 2013
(0)

Thanks for the help.  Maybe a bit more background would be useful.

This project is for a room (Man Cave) that needs phone, wireless internet, and TV but is as you noted, about 150 feet away and near a creek and thus separated from the house by a retaining wall.  The RG in the house is already as close as it can be to the Man Cave.  I have figured out how to do the phone (basically a repeater place midway - it is made by panasonic for this cordless phone - works flawlessly).  In trying to get the wireless uverse to work, I put a repeater (Amped SR-10000) halfway between and plugged the uverse tv wap into that.  I now get excellent wireless internet everywhere (10+ Mbps in the man cave), however the the TV function is spotty at best.  Sometimes I can watch a live TV channel but it is frequent stuttering or pixilated, other times it doesn't show a picture at all.  It has never been able to access the DVR in the main house.  I would string a cable (cat5, coaxial, whatever) between the house and the man cave but either I would have to jackhammer out patio hardscape or suspend the wire above the patio.  My wife is not enthralled with either of these options.  I have tried the powerline adapters but they were more unreliable than the current setup.  I have tried the wireless uverse receiver in the house and it worked as advertised through 2 floors so I know that hardware works.

I guess my main question is - Am I using the repeater correctly?  Are there any special settings in the repeater that are necessary for the uverse WAP?

Thanks!  phil

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 7, 2013
(0)

phillipwkennedy - Well you certainly are ambitious. I do not have experience or expertise to offer. I would like to offer a different perspective.

Instead of trying to extend the wireless WAP signal. Build your own wireless(buy both ends) from the RG to the MC. In the MC plug the WAP into the output of your wireless. Now that sounds silly. You do not need a WAP. Just plug the network cable output from the new system into the STB.

So, you need to find a system capable of carrying the video signal. At least you can hold the mfgr to their specs, instead of guessing what will match the unknowns of the WAP.

Another different perspective is to just send the video - keep the STB by the house 7 just send the output. To do this you need to use a remote app - Buddy TV - on a phone or tablet to control the STB.

I Googled wireless video distribution & got a lot of hits. One- http://peerair.peerless-av.com/ claims to transmit HD video 100 ft.

You could get a slingbox, connect it to an STB in the house & watch TV via your computer connected to the TV via HDMI.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 7, 2013
(0)

Being that far away, I'd seriously consider running a conduit down to the "man cave" with ethernet cable to another router.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway