Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

If the DMZPlus mode is turned on in the AT&T RG for your Asus router, then no, you do not have to open any ports on the AT&T RG. You only need to open them on the Asus.

See the message right above yours (http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/3435055#M9038) for the explanation of the AT&T wireless receiver for the wireless TV set-top boxes. Basically, yes, it steals port 443 and renders your router unable to use it. If you need INBOUND connections on port 443 (not outbound) because you're running your own HTTPS server, and you want to keep the wireless STBs, then you have to buy static IPs to work-around this restriction.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I'm thinking of getting another 3801 HGV (for a total of 2 in my house).  My thought is that they could talk to one another over the coax line via HPNA, and both would be able to serve LAN clients and wireless clients, ALL on the same subnet.  

The point is I wouldn't have to get an HPNA Coax to ethernet adapter, and it would also effectively extend my wireless range (both on the same SSID as well).

is this possible?

How would I setup the networking and settings on both?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

I don't think that's ever been attempted (or at least not reported on this forum), so I can't say whether that would actually work or not.

I think the main problem you will run into is that since there is no way to turn off DHCP on the 2Wire units, you would have 2 DHCP servers running on the same network. This would be problematic.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I found this post purely by accident when I began having DMZ issues with my 2Wire router.  Sparing all the boring details, I will get right to my question.

I too have been having the 10 minute timeout issue.  I read the thread and there seems to be 2 options.

Assign IP as Static which I have done and it appears to have worked.

and

Forward from port 67 to port 68 on my firewall.

My setup is as follows:

PC----->Linksys EA6500----->2Wire.

All is set up as described in post #2.  My issue is that I cant figure out WHERE to forward ports 67-68 on my LAN.  Tried my router IP/gateway(192.168.2.1) which made perfect sense, but the setup won't even allow me to save it.  FAIL.  Then I tried my PC's LAN IP, which, predictably failed as well.

So I have sucessfully set it up as static, and I know that AT&T rarely changes your WAN IP so its really not a big deal except that I travel regularly for my job, and if the IP gets changed while I am away, my internet will be down for the duration of my absence which will definitely raise the ire of the Missus.  LOL.

Any assistance as to WHERE I can route the renewal packets would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

If you are getting the 10 minute timeout issue, your router is blocking DHCP renewal packets from the 2Wire. So you need to configure this firewall rule on the WAN link of your Linksys (the Ethernet port connected to the 2Wire).

Is your Linksys running stock firmware, or are you using aftermarket firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Stock out of the box.  I am completely baffled as to where this is going and how to get there......LOL

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

OK, well if you can't put in the firewall rule, then just configure the IP as static. The IP will stay the same in virtually all cases unless you ever replace the RG.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Static works perfectly.  Was just trying to avoid the pitfalls of a static assignement. 

If I gotta stay with Static, then I will. Justrr wanted to avoid a DHCP change.

Markeebo

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I am interested in replacing the wireless gateway from the i38HG with a Linksys E3000 in order to provide better performance when streaming movies to my Roku.

Two questions:

1. In your wireless access point solution you say to link 2Wire routher to one of the LAN ports on the router I plan to use.  My question is for linking to the 2Wire can I connect to a LAN port on the i38HG or do have have to connect to i3812V outside?

2.  I assume that I will need to disable the wireless access point on the i38HG.  Is that correct?

then I just need to change the LAN IP address of my E3000 to a static IP on the same subnet as the 2Wire router but outside the DHCP range.

Thanks for your help.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Yes, you can perform the steps in post 13 using the i38HG wherever it talks about the RG.

1. Yes, you can connect it to the i38HG. You can also bypass the i38HG and connect to the Ethernet port in the i3812V, but this Ethernet port is not enabled by default. You will need to log into the i3812V's web pages to enable it.

2. Yes, you can disable the wireless access point in the i38HG by logging into the i3812V's web pages.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.