Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I see.  I did some further research after posting my question here, and found what you said:  that the 2310 would need to be configured to share the public ip--which is essentially what the dmz+ on the 3600hgv does, right?  I would still prefer the 2310 for it's smaller footprint, since it does everything I need it to do (I don't need voip, iptv, or anything else the 3600hgv offers over the 2310).  

But I guess I will have to deal with the large dinosaur of a box in the 3600hgv, since that is the only option that att officially offers--and it seems that the 2310 available on the fleabay probably won't work because of a new firmware upgrade that att will not publicly release.  From my understanding, if the 2310 wasn't plugged in and active as of the end of August 2012, and it didn't receive the pushed firmware update, it will not be able to authenticate currently, and it is little more than a nice $75 bookend.  

It only took me over 90 minutes on the phone yesterday to try to get the mythical 6MB/s "upgrade to uverse" on my line, after being told the order couldn't be pushed through about 60 minutes into the call.  A supervisor was required to override the system-generated c**kblock that required me to go to at least 12MB/s down, which I would gladly take--but alas, it is unavail at my location!!  

I guess in a few days, I will be chuggin along at something better than the consistent 1MB/s speed I curently get.  Thank you att for allowing me to upgrade from the modern-day 56k dialup plan, where I was actually getting something more like 14.4k connection of 20 years ago...  "Hang on, let me ask my mom to kindly get off the phone, so I can dial in to AOL....'Welcome, you've got mail!!!!'...."  Yaaaaay!!!  I have mail!!

Why can't I just have the simple modems and SPEED of Comcast where I was getting 15-20MB/s down on a consistent basis--8 years ago!?!??!?  No, I'm stuck in the wrath of att--literally the only provider in my building.  It's att dsl/uverse, or access media 3--the biggest joke of a middleman company that takes a single 6MB/s att connection, and shares it with the entire building, rebranding it a "t1 connection."  this "t1 connection" was up until a few months ago, capped at 3MB/s down.  Blazing, I know!!  I might be better off switching to a Verizon LTE data plan in two months when att wireless contract ends, and hotspotting that connection.  I can't be the only one that thinks it's asinine that a cellular connection is capable of consistently getting 3x (17-18MB/s down) the speed of the best available wired connection... can I???  

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address.  At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.

I am not too technical when it comes to networking and setting up routers and such, but following your instructions i was able to install a Netgear N600 behind my 2Wire 3801 and all seems to be working ok..i think.  One thing that was not clear to me was step #8.  I went into my Netgears setings and was unable to find a firewall section where i can make changes to it.  What would you recommend I do for completion sake of your instructions?

If you were wondering, the reason i decided to use a different router was because i was tired of the very poor wireless performance of the 3801.  It seemed to have a very limited range and dropped connection very often.  I figured after reading a few peoples experience that doing it this way would be the best option for me.  I am not overly concerned with all the fancy features that comes with using a different router, i just wanted better and more reliable wireless network.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

If you just wanted better wireless coverage post 13 in this thread would have been the easiest way to go.  It appears that you did post 2 in this thread.  Nothing wrong with that, but it is more complicated and has benefits and drawbacks that #13 does not.

As far as the firewall settings in your own router, they normally default to a good protection level for your network.  I wouldn't lose sleep over that.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I am also looking to put a Router behind the RG.  If I do that, can I move my STBs and Uverse connected Xboxes behind the router as well?

If so, in my dhcp pools, can I point to a different DNS server? 

Does IGMPv3 need to be allowed for the TV to work?

Are there any other "gotchas" that you have encountered?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

@jdchaiken wrote:

I am also looking to put a Router behind the RG.  If I do that, can I move my STBs and Uverse connected Xboxes behind the router as well?

If so, in my dhcp pools, can I point to a different DNS server? 

Does IGMPv3 need to be allowed for the TV to work?

Are there any other "gotchas" that you have encountered?

You really don't want to do that.

(1) Yes, IGMPv3 would have to be allowed for it to work correctly.  Few, if any, consumer grade devices provide this.

(2) The RG must provide the DHCP for the DVR and STB

(3) The RG must provide the DNS for the DVR and STB

You're better off keeping your IPTV directly connected to the RG, and your data network separate.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Thanks for this! I used this method and everything went swimmingly.. until one thing didn't. I'm now unable to maintain a screen sharing connection between my MBP (mountain lion) and my Mac Mini. Could this be caused by this particular network configuration?

Here's a bit more info:

• The 2WIRE and Airport Extreme 1 are in my office, connected by ethernet
  • The Mac Mini and Airport Extreme 2 are in my living room connected by ethernet
  • All of my devices are connected to the network created by AE1 and extended by AE2
  • Periodically, Screen Sharing will disconnect and I'll be asked to reauthenticate
  • Only happens with Screen Sharing, not while browsing the Mini via Finder

If you think my issue is unrelated, I'll absolutely believe you — there are so many variables, even in my relatively simple home network — but if you think of anything I might try, I'd be happy for the advice.

Thanks!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Can the Mac Mini and the MBP ping each other on the network? If so, then your network is set up correctly.

If not, then I would look at how the two AEs are connected to the network. One can be acting as a router (the one next to the 2Wire). The other probably needs to act as just a bridge or wireless access point, with no routing functionality enabled.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hi Joe. My son accesses the Internet through a wireless adapter on his PC.  I need my ATT 3800 to bridge and my Linksys WRT160n wireless router to route so that I can limit his online gaming with the WRT's support for timed access control.   I've followed the fourteen steps in "message 2" and I disabled wireless access to my 3800 (why isn't that step 15?). His PC finds the WRT okay, but can't access the Internet. My PC, and some other devices connected to the wired ports of the WRT *are* able to access the Internet.  Am I missing something obvious?  Thanks.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

If the wired ports of the WRT are working, but the wireless isn't, then the 2Wire 3800 is set up correctly. The problem is either with the setup of the wireless parameters on the WRT (SSID, encryption type, password, MAC address filtering), or his settings on his PC don't match what's set up on the WRT.

Also, since you're using the access controls on the WRT, make sure they're set correctly and the WRT isn't actively blocking his access when it shouldn't.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

SomeJoe7777, 

Would it be possible to run 2 routers behind ATT RG. I have a renter who insists on using his own router. They have VDSL in my area. Would appreciate your help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.