Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

if you get this working let me know if you have can stay online through the netgear.  i set a router up behind the 2Wire and my internet times out sometimes...i especially lose connection when playing online games.  This does not happen when connected directly to the 2Wire.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

I'm having a hard time visualizing your configuration.  Do note that the RG's used for VDSL2 service do not allow more than one static IP to be handled by the same MAC address, so if you intend to have any router or firewall servicing traffic for more than one of your static IP's, you may have an issue with that flavor of Uverse.

The DMZ segment is configured in the OpenBSD system as a transparent firewalled bridge.  All DMZ traffic on the segment between the Cayman and the Inet NIC in the OpenBSD system, appears to the Cayman as if the connections were directly between DMZ hosts and the Cayman itself.  The arp and bridge tables in the Cayman show the MAC addresses of the physical NICs in each DMZ host.

I see no reason why the U-verse 2Wire gateway would see things any differently.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Bridge: Okay.

Router: Not okay.

The issue is that every IP has to have a unique MAC address.  A bridge will accomplish that.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

First, I'd like to say thanks to Joe and others for all the help Ive seen in this post.

Ive read through most of this stream and cant quite figure out what route I should take. I want to run the following through a linksys E3200 as a second router connected to RG:

-NAS for backups and streaming files to TV

-wireless traffic for computers

-internet traffic on TV

Ive tried several different configurations for the two routers but nothing completely works.

Should I setup them up following post 2 or 13?

Thanks preemptively for the help.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Either method should work for those purposes, but since you don't need an independent firewall or routing solution, post 13 should do nicely.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

welp, I actually followed the directions. everything working pretty smoothly so far. Have NAS access from all computers. Thanks for the help and tutorial.

sidebar: I have a samsung ln40c660 TV with DLNA built in through their AllShare function, and the only way I can play files from my computer to it is with the Play To option in windows media player. For some reason my TV doesnt see my computer's shared media but more frustrating it sees shared media on another computer. 

Any thoughts on that are greatly appreciated.

Again thanks for all the invaluable info.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@bss868s wrote:

welp, I actually followed the directions. everything working pretty smoothly so far. Have NAS access from all computers. Thanks for the help and tutorial.

sidebar: I have a samsung ln40c660 TV with DLNA built in through their AllShare function, and the only way I can play files from my computer to it is with the Play To option in windows media player. For some reason my TV doesnt see my computer's shared media but more frustrating it sees shared media on another computer. 

Any thoughts on that are greatly appreciated.

Again thanks for all the invaluable info.

Congrats on your success.

As far as the computer goes, if it's a WIn 7 box, you'll need to have media sharing turned on. Also, some devices will not see the shared media unless the files are stored in folders with a particular name.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

somejoe, 

do u have any knowledge on the motorola 2310 modem?  i ordered uverse today after being stuck with my 3MB/s dsl which was performing at dialup-like speeds of 1MB/s on a consistent basis.  the service options are severely limited in my condo building, so i will be sticking with att--which finally rolled out the uverse service to my building.  im in the south loop in chicago, where there are literally 20-30 mid-high rise buildings with a pretty high population density.  the fact that i was stuck with 3MB/s as the best possible speed avaialble in my building is pretty asinine, but that's another story.

anyways, i asked the csr for a standalone modem, because i want to use my own wireless router (apple time capsule--which includes my nas).  she informed me that the only device available for uverse is the 3600hgv.  i immediately started researching if this would present any conflicts with my router, and of course, it does.  turns out there is a standalone modem--the moto 2310--which commands quite the premium and is in low supply.  i would rather use this if it is a more straightforward setup (not DMZ), similar to my current DSL modem to router configuration.  i can't seem to find much info about the moto 2310 and how it bridges with routers.  would you happen to know?

also, based on your instructions on message 2, it appears that if modem (3600HGV) ever had to be reset, i would have to follow that procedure all over again to get my network back up and running.  is that correct?  

thanx for your help in advance!

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

i should note that this is not for a biz acct, and unless uverse is different from my current dsl, i will not have a static external IP.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

11 years ago

@hlr18 wrote:

somejoe, 

do u have any knowledge on the motorola 2310 modem?  i ordered uverse today after being stuck with my 3MB/s dsl which was performing at dialup-like speeds of 1MB/s on a consistent basis.  the service options are severely limited in my condo building, so i will be sticking with att--which finally rolled out the uverse service to my building.  im in the south loop in chicago, where there are literally 20-30 mid-high rise buildings with a pretty high population density.  the fact that i was stuck with 3MB/s as the best possible speed avaialble in my building is pretty asinine, but that's another story.

anyways, i asked the csr for a standalone modem, because i want to use my own wireless router (apple time capsule--which includes my nas).  she informed me that the only device available for uverse is the 3600hgv.  i immediately started researching if this would present any conflicts with my router, and of course, it does.  turns out there is a standalone modem--the moto 2310--which commands quite the premium and is in low supply.  i would rather use this if it is a more straightforward setup (not DMZ), similar to my current DSL modem to router configuration.  i can't seem to find much info about the moto 2310 and how it bridges with routers.  would you happen to know?

also, based on your instructions on message 2, it appears that if modem (3600HGV) ever had to be reset, i would have to follow that procedure all over again to get my network back up and running.  is that correct?  

thanx for your help in advance!

If your're looking for a old style passive modem, you're barking up the wrong tree. I don't believe they make them for VDSL.

The only differences between the 2310 and the 3600 are the 2310 only has one network (LAN) port and it does not have wireless or VOIP ports for telephones. They both operate in pretty much the same fashion. To use a router behind the 2310 you still need to configure DMZ or IP Passthrough. Both modem/gateways should retain their settings if all you do is reboot or cycle the power. Only a factory reset will wipe all user configs.

Although the standard Uverse account comes with what AT&T calls a Dynamic IP Address, it's often referred to as a "Sticky IP" because it hardly ever changes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.