Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

@echodun wrote:

New patient needs help -

Own a Netgear N300 Modem/Router.  Want to place behind the 3600 Gateway.  My reasons are two-fold.  Want to use the "N" speed of my Netgear and want to establish parental control blocks on websites. 

I followed Post #13.

If you want your router to handle parental controls, you must do full routing, not just wireless access point.

Follow the directions in post #2, not post #13.

Mentor

• 

15 Messages

12 years ago

With respect to post #2, this might be a really dumb question, but how do I connect a WAN to a LAN interface. Isn't the WAN the Internet port on the back of my Netgear which is basically a standard phone jack plug, but the LAN is an ethernet type connection.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

The WAN interface on the NetGear should also be an Ethernet connection. It is designed to connect (via Ethernet) to a cable or DSL modem's network port.

Mentor

• 

15 Messages

12 years ago

But my Netgear N300 is a modem/router.  How does that change my set-up?  It has four ethernet ports and one WAN port for a phoneline type connection from my DSL line.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Your steps look good.  I tried to configure follow them to configure the 2wire 3600hgv as a modem/gateway, and keep using my Linksys 3000 as the wireless router.  After completing the first few steps (setting the Linksys with DHCP, connecting its WAN port to the 2Wire's LAN port ...), I logged onto the 2Wire's setup page but couldn't see the Linksys router (I restarted the Linksys also).  Did I miss something?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

@echodun wrote:

But my Netgear N300 is a modem/router.  How does that change my set-up?  It has four ethernet ports and one WAN port for a phoneline type connection from my DSL line.

I cannot look up the exact router you're using, because "N300" is not the model number.  This is just a moniker that NetGear uses to describe any of it's routers that have 802.11n wireless.

However, I found one, model number DGND3300v2, that sounds like what you're using.  This is an ADSL2+ modem and router all in one.

This device will not work the way you want it with U-Verse.  You cannot replace the 2Wire 3600 gateway with your Netgear, AT&T's network will not allow it.  If you want to use parental controls on a router, you will need to purchase a standard DSL/Cable router that has the parental controls features, and hook it up in accordance with post #2.

Find an appropriate router using this comparison chart from NetGear:

http://www.netgear.com/images/12-02-11%20Router%20Chart%20for%20Web_REV18-44305.pdf

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

@damianng wrote:

Your steps look good.  I tried to configure follow them to configure the 2wire 3600hgv as a modem/gateway, and keep using my Linksys 3000 as the wireless router.  After completing the first few steps (setting the Linksys with DHCP, connecting its WAN port to the 2Wire's LAN port ...), I logged onto the 2Wire's setup page but couldn't see the Linksys router (I restarted the Linksys also).  Did I miss something?

If you run into this issue, log into the Linksys and use the network tools.  Have the Linksys ping the 2Wire router.  Once that is done, check the 2Wire's device list and the Linksys should then be listed.

If that doesn't work, try the same thing from the other direction: Log into the 2Wire, use the network tools (under the diagnostics menu) and ping the Linksys.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you for all of your help in this thread SomeJoe.  I have used your instructions in post 13 to set up my linksys e4200 as a wireless access point and switch.  Here is my set up.  I have the i38hg connected to the iNid by twisted pair in a bedroom on the second floor of my home.  I have the e4200 on the main floor connected to the iNid with cat6 lan to lan.  I set the ip address to 192.168.1.10 for the e4200 and turned off dhcp.  I changed the e4200 ssid and network key to that of the 2Wire except for the 5ghz band.  I have a tv and ps3 hardwired to the e4200.

Everything works great for a few hours and then the e4200 drops all connections and the light on it slowly flashes.  Once I power it off and then on it works again.  What am I doing wrong?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

That sounds like the 4200 is having some sort of internal problem. When it does this, the light that is flashing may flash in a pattern of some sort. You might want to look up in the operator's guide what the flashing light means, it might tell you what's going on.

If that doesn't work, you might temporarily try a different router configured the same way and see what happens.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks SomeJoe.  For all the e4200 is cracked up to be, I am surprised how buggy it is.  I thought that was only with version 1 but after doing some more research I have seen a lot of complaints with both versions. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.