Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Scholar

• 

101 Messages

12 years ago

Is there a particular reason why you setup your RG to use the 10.x Class A address space?

I highly doubt that you will be using a lot of IP addresses. Especially since your router is running DHCP. What I did on my RG is leave it at defaults for the 192 address and change my own router to be 192.168.2.1.

So since you have yours setup as 192.168.0.1, i would think that should work just fine. Then try setting your RG back the default 192.168.1.254 address and see if that helps out for some reason.

It may seem like to you that is non-trivial but in the latest .50 firmware update that is rollout out they are taking away the ability to setup DHCP to use the 10.x address space for the RG citing some issues.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

When I was having the issues I had the RG set to the 192.168.1 subnet but I changed it to 10.0.0 because I thought it may help. That was this afternoon so I'll see if it's still acting up.

Scholar

• 

101 Messages

12 years ago

Will you want to change it off of the 10.x address space because once you receive the firmware update for your RG, if you have the 10.x address space it will reset all your settings.

However, if you have the 192 address it won't reset the settings on your RG.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I'm losing my mind with this issue. Perhaps someone of intellect can save me.....

I have my network configured as describe in the original post.

Here is a synopsis of the issue:

I am doing video conference calls to a client in Alaska via browser based software Vidyodesktop.

I have a network of PCs connected DHCP to a Linksys (Cisco) RV016 (IP 10.10.1.1)

The RV016 sits behind an AT&T U-Verse Modem (3800HGV-B).

The RV016 is set up on the 3800HGV-B as a DMZ passthrough device that allows all traffic to and from the router. The router does the IP assignments to the clients and the firewall work.

The RV016 WAN address is the Public IP assigned to the ATT Modem. I configured this as Static to match the settings in the 3800HGV-B

The 3800HGV-B Private IP is 192.168.1.254

I can establish a Video conference call from any client. After about 10-15 minutes, the session is dropped. Once the drop occurs, I continue to have full internet access EXCEPT I cannot reconnect to the Video Conference server. Pinging the both URL and the server IP yields :

Pinging connect.cvtc.org [209.161.168.13] with 32 bytes

Reply from 10.10.1.1: Destination Net Unreachable.

Ping statistics for 209.161.168.13:

Packets: Sent = 4. Received = 4 Lost = 0 (0% Loss).

Other PCs on the network CAN ping that address. The web utility in the RV016 can ping the address and the web utility in the ATT Modem can ping the address.

However, the affected client cannot connect (or ping) to that address for about 5 minutes, after which it can reconnect.

This all suggests to me these is something that remains “locked” between the client and the router, but only for that URL….

Going to task manager and terminating the Vidyodesktop.exe process does not “free” the connection, neither does restarting the vidyodesktop.exe process.

This same situation occurs when I tried all of the following:

--completely turning off the RV016 firewall

--Completely turning off Norton Internet Firewall & Antivirus

--Changing DNS servers to google & openDNS

IDEAS? I'm out of them!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Seems like an application issue with the video software to me. The Cisco router, the 2Wire, and the other computers on the network can still access the server IP, so the network is operating properly.

I would contact the video software manufacturer for technical support.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks Joe. Let me ask you this. I configured my router WAN IP as static jest before typing the note above. Since it has been static, I have not had any issues dropping the video call on several occasions now with sessions lasting 1-3 hours in duration. Is it possible that that 10 minute DHCP renewal packet sent by the RG to the router was the culprit? I don't understand enough about networks to get how that would cause my bizarre issue. Just a sanity check...

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, that is conceivable. The 2Wire routers have bugs in their DHCP implementation, and many routers are affected by this problem.

The bug is that the 2Wire sends a DHCP renewal packet from the incorrect IP address. Many routers are strict about their DHCP renewal, so they ignore the renewal packet. Then the DHCP lease times out, the router shuts down it's interface (dropping all open connections), and begins a fresh DHCP negotiation. t then succeeds and brings the interface back up, but existing sessions are gone.

The work-around is to statically assign the IP address to the router, or configure the router's firewall to allow inbound DHCP renewal packets from any IP address.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks. That's good to know. Everything seems good since I went the staic IP route. I wonder how long AT&T will keep my WAN IP assigned to me? From my googling it is inclear how often or even if AT&T changes the IP.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Is this the only way?  I have the 2wire modem on the outside of the house leading to a dlink switch/hub then to a 2wire router.  I want to stream video to my ipad over ftp using a Cisco linksys e4200v2 and an attached usb hard drive connected to the Cisco router.  Will setting the Cisco router behind the 2wire router cause a slowdown or lack of bandwith?  Can I get rid of the 2wire router and just use the Cisco e4200?

Thanks

Mentor

• 

15 Messages

12 years ago

New patient needs help -

Own a Netgear N300 Modem/Router.  Want to place behind the 3600 Gateway.  My reasons are two-fold.  Want to use the "N" speed of my Netgear and want to establish parental control blocks on websites. 

I followed Post #13.  My problem is I don't know what to change in step 3 when I'm supposed to change to the LAN IP address.  I know my 2Wire router uses the 192.168.254.1 ip address to access the router settings.  I also was able to turn off DHCP in my settings on the Netgear.  But where do I change the IP address in the Netgear.  Specifically, what screen am I looking for?  Also, do I change anything in the Netgear like the option which asks "does your ISP require you to login", or how about the option which allows you to give the Netgear a pre-determined MAC address rather than having one assigned?  I'm not trying to make this difficult, but I'm kind of new to some of these functions.  Finally, I assume I'll be able to use the parental controls of my Netgear to limit certain website usage.

Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.