akorfe's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, May 29th, 2013 6:22 PM

Moving box across the room in an apartment

When the tech guy installed my cable box and receiver, he only worked on one outlet. I'm trying to redecorate and move the entire setup across the room to another outlet. Can I do this on my own so that I don't have to pay $55 just to move my TV to the other side of the room? If you can explain the process in layman's terms, that would be appreciated.

Here are some pics of things that looked important: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/44egu54gns76np6/96eg7PQ9QM?n=103187870

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

akorfe - OK. it looks like you have a simple setup.
It looks like the black box is the RG with only one connection to the wall. Your internet is wireless (or in the same room).
The black box is wired to the silver box, which is wired to the TV. All move together.

So, you only have to worry about the one wire. I cannot tell if it is an RJ-11 jack or RJ-45. But, it does look like it was not the original jack.
So. it is unlikely that the jack across the room is the same. You can try to see if the plug fits in the jack across the room.

If not you have to move the existing jack (or get one to match) and wire it matching the colors.

Then you have to find where the two different wires come together and the one currently connected goes out to the street. Disconnect the current connection & connect the street to the new wire, matching colors and making a good connection.

If you cannot do that, you need att or someone qualified to do it.

You can just get a longer wire and run it around the room. You need to find out if the existing connection is RJ-45 or RJ-11.
RJ-11 iss the smaller of the two & is used for telephones.
RJ-45 larger & standard for network cat5 connections. An Rj-11 plug will fit in an RJ-45 jack.

If you decide to add a longer wire & the existing plug is RJ-11, it might be best to change it to RJ-45. But, then you need to look up how to wire it. Then you could use a standard cat5 cable plugged in to the RJ-45 feed on the RG.

Another thought - leave the RG where it is & get a wireless STB to replace the silver box. THen a wire is not requited between the STB and RG. YOu cann move the TV/STB to the other location. All you need at that location is power.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

akorfe - Is there only one box to move or two. What is the model number? Do you have other U-verse equipment in the house? And, how is it connected? Do you have internet & U-verse voice?
What is each outlet - COAX, network (Rj-45, cat5) or tel (rj-11)?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

There is a black box and a silver one that look like this: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/49e5brtrx2b7i9q/4QpAbd7C-g

These are the only U-verse things I have, and I do have internet.

This is how the black box is connected (I'm going to say the outlet is network): https://www.dropbox.com/sc/9qioxuqi70zbhrc/4LkWZ2IF3V

Where can I find the model number? I hope these pictures help.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your help so far.

The jacks in the wall are originally for telephone connections, and the tech guy changed it to a network jack.

A few questions:

When you say "street".. is this slang for something or is there some sort of box out along the road?

So far, I've moved everything over and matched the colors of the wires to the little colored notches on the other side. There is a loading screen on the television, but ultimately it tells me that there's something wrong with the connection.

And I definitely do not want a wire crossing one side of the room to the other.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

akorfe - I was going to say NID, but thought you would question that. Network interface device - gray box on the side of the house is where service comes in the house. Then there is usually a place where all the jacks come together.

Sounds like that is all you need to do - find the other end of the new jack & connect it to the wire from the NID/Street.

I agree, the box is trying to connect, but has no signal to connect to. I think you only need two wires - blue & blue/white. But, that is guess.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Alright, here's a picture of what I think you're talking about: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgj0p5e80b7o49l/IMAG0346.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iq8jvayforohwdj/IMAG0348.jpg

Is there an easy way to figure out which cable goes to which jack? That's a heck of a lot of trial-and-error.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

akorfe - The tech method would be to put a tone on it and find the tone at the central location. The amateur equivalent is to connect two wires together in the living room and find in the box with a multimeter or a battery/light at the box - The two wires connected through in the living room can be seen on the meter or light.

This expects no comparable short at other locations. Which is highly unlikely. But, keep in mind if the setup does not work .

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Would you happen to know how to take those little plastic bubbles of of the end of those two cables' wires? Or do I need   to connect a different white cable and a black cable combination together?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

akorfe - Sounds like you found the new wire?? Ready to connect??
I believe the connectors do not come apart. One time use, only. Cut the wire.

I believe those connectors are called scotch lock. You can google or check home depot/lowes tel/cable section for something similar. In the meantime it will probably work ok just twisting the bare copper ends together. Cover with tape.

You've really done well, so I assume you know to strip the insulation from the ends of the wire to make a connection. Not everyone does.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

Do you have a box in a closet somewhere that all of your lines go to?  I know the apartment I was in had one and all I needed to do was change the output line to the different line.  The house I'm in now also has a wiring closet. If I run any new drops in a room they will all terminate in wiring closet and I would need to add a splitter to feed the new lines.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.