Posted Feb 14, 2013
9:07:56 AM
Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?

I posted this over at Dslreports.com but figured I would post it here too.

I was looking at the Motorola website and found this...

»www.motorola.com/us/consumers/NV···,pd.html
Then....
»www.homepna.org/products/member_products/
Lists this product as
"Motorola NVG589 Bonded VDSL 11N Gateway"

Seems to be an IPTV/Internet/VOIP modem.

http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA16256

Would be pointless to make a battery/modem specifically for a service that wouldn't use it, wouldn't it ?

I wonder what the ADSL2+ gateway would be then? The 5111NV? I guess if they somehow don't use this then it'll be the Pace 5168NV for both ADSL2+/VDSL2.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
114 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(114)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 7, 2013 12:36:40 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by skyeterrier on Sep 7, 2013 at 12:40:24 PM

Hello, I have one of these units with my newly installed Uverse service.  I tried to set it up in Bridge mode with my Linksys E4200 running my wireless network and DHCP but couldn't make a go of it, too many issues with having trouble getting valid IP addresses for my devices after a day or so of things working.  I freely admit I may have been doing this wrong.

So now I have everything connected to the NVG589, wireless and otherwise, and so far so good as far as function, but I'm used to being able to adjust a lot more settings on my Linksys routers.  I even have a Linksys wireless bridge connected to it that seems to be providing a functional IP address and internet connection to my Dish Hopper satellite DVR, and it seems to be behaving well with my Linksys RE1000 wireless range extender

I do have a few questions:

1.  Is there any way to program QoS settings to prioritize traffic to certain items or programs?  I couldn't find this in the router settings page.

2.  Does the USB port have any functionality?  Will a future firmware update perhaps let us connect an external hard drive to it to share documents or stream media?

3.  Is there a detailed user manual available for download online?

4.  Is there any way to monitor data usage?  I don't see anything in the router configuration web pages or on the att account management site, and an extended and frustrating tech support phone session didn't yield any information on how to do this.  I understand my service to be capped at around 250GB per month, and while I don't expect to hit that, it is conceivable under certain circumstances for it to happen and I'd like to know in advance of getting my service throttled down to a crawl.

5.  Is there a thread here or a web page that goes over optimal settings for packet filtering and all the other odds and ends?  I shut all this stuff off when I was going to just pass the traffic through to my Linksys router in bridge mode but now that I couldn't make that work and have the NVG589 doing all the work I'm not sure which settings are best and which are not really necessary and might hamper performance.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 8, 2013 2:46:20 PM
(0)
Mentor

This is exciting news.... but opens up a ton of questions:

- Is there any way to know if the NVG589 is available in the San Jose, CA area?

- Does this new RG remove the need for external inid, meaning, can it be installed in locations such that external equipment isn't required?  (For townhouses and condos, this would be a big win)

- What about Static IPs?  Can the unit offer them?

- Dual VOIP lines?

And the big question..

Can it be installed without losing existing Static IP configurations?

Thanks in advance (and apologies if this is answered elsewhere -- I did look but couldn't find anything...)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 8, 2013 2:51:55 PM
(0)
Mentor
The links to the manual seem to be all "access denied" now -- are other people seeing this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 8, 2013 6:53:39 PM
(0)
Expert

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2013 1:56:16 PM
(0)
Explorer

my thoughts wrote:
You probably do not need a new RG you need a line tech, bridge tap needs to be removed, showing 2800 feet and SN less than 9 on screen shots
Unfortunately TS cannot dispatch CIM tech that I know of, instead need uverse tech.
Tech needs to run SELT test, at serving terminal,(pole or buried) if no issue on testing then issue is with drop or INSIDE wiring
If issue beyond terminal then tech needs to create outside ticket for CIM tech.
If issue is drop, tech needs to replace, if issue is bridge tap in your home then billable to resolve.
For example http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Just-installed-2wire-RG-for-Uverse/m-p/3544329#M39108

Once distance and SN ratio resolved the 3801 should work just fine up to 3000 feet on a 3801 RG

Your shots show different than your statements, line issues resolve first before talk of swapping RG.

A senior tech is not aged based but employment based. Stage are T0, T1, T2, and T3 a senior tech is a T3.
Very few garages have many techs with two or more years experience, when did uverse come to your if 2010 then nobody could have more than 3 years.
By definition a T3 is someone with more than 9 months with the company who has successfully completed a required number of jobs, most are installs.
Finding an experienced repair tech is a little more challenging, need a tech work works late shift as that shift gets the bulk of repairs.

Ok i don't really know what to do.....it seems like my "line quaity" continues to degrade after each time a tech visits, they leave and my numbers look great and they fall apartover time, is there a way i can plug into the box on the house for "direct" testing and i will know its not something inbetween? I am supposedly under a thousand feet and can get the highest tiers but i am reluctant to place an order until i get the mess with the line straightened out, honestly it appeared like all was well un UVRT at one point and now its all just terrible with reds & yellows everywhere and my line distance varies based on time of day and what tv shows im watching, a single HD stream degrades things sometimes highly and sometimes i can check UVRT and have NO STREAMS of SD/HD and terrible numbers and sometimes 3HD streams and numbers are great. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2013 1:58:42 PM
(0)
Explorer

Also can you explain what a bridge tap is and how to determine if they are in or out the home? When i had service installed they set up a appointment to send someone out to remove a brige tap that was outside at some point between my home and the pole and that was done by the only person i really trusted truly knew what they were taking about so i'd be suprised if that just didnt occur. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2013 2:49:19 PM
(0)
Explorer
I have broken down and made a post at broadband reports because i see UverseUsers dot com is no longer around, what is generally the best place to start a thread, here or there? I am about ready to see if i can pay somejoe7777 to come help me as its been almost 12 months. here is the link to my post if anyone is interested or has advice. thanks again http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28752381-U-Verse-Help-Please-Will-work-for-IT-

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2013 2:50:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
FiveOhFour - A bridge tap is another open ended pair (2 wires) connected to the service pair. At one time it was seen as a flexible, cost effective way to provide telephone service. It did not cause noticeable interference with Telephone service. It does interfere with U-verse service.

Outside can be tracked down with electrical measurements with sensitive equipment. Inside, follow the wire from the NID & look for another connected to it before it reaches the RG. Also, remove any "extra" connections at each end.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2013 3:22:22 PM
(0)
Explorer

aviewer wrote:
FiveOhFour - A bridge tap is another open ended pair (2 wires) connected to the service pair. At one time it was seen as a flexible, cost effective way to provide telephone service. It did not cause noticeable interference with Telephone service. It does interfere with U-verse service.

Outside can be tracked down with electrical measurements with sensitive equipment. Inside, follow the wire from the NID & look for another connected to it before it reaches the RG. Also, remove any "extra" connections at each end.

Thanks, I think the terms are often used in place of their meaning and while sure, its on me to know these things or speak up its yet another place that room is left for things to be lost in translation. The original install was done incorrectly, i believe in its simplest form basically it was done utilizing the old original drop instead of a new one, does that sound right? Anyway so I actually watched that take place and i watched a new connection fashioned from a spool that connects directly from the inid (i guess inid...the box on the side of the house that connects directly to drop?) to the RG with only a wall connector jack between them and all of that stuff including the lines ends and jacks are new. Does that eliminate any chance of bridge taps or have i misinterpreted?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2013 4:08:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
FiveOhFour - Since you are asking more details - In telephony, the term was always bridged tap, literally a tap bridged on the line, So, many telephony terms are very literal. Most bridged taps are very long to span neighborhoods and allow the option of connecting a customer over here or over there. These were supposed to be removed when the pairs were conditioned for U-verse, in preparation for deployment. But, faulty records or sloppy contractors may have prevented that. It would only be discovered if the line would not synch when u-verse is installed.

Inside connections were never called bridged tap in telephony. The were just multiple sets or jacks. Not a problem, but a feature. DSL was not deteriorated by these multiples & it was possible to continue the convenient in-house distribution and ability to self install through the use of filters to separate the talking & the DSL signal.

But the higher frequency of the U-verse signal requires it be removed from the circuit.

Your new drop cable (there's that literal - Drop the service from the pole to your house) would not eliminate outside Bridged tap. The bridged tap is between the pole to the VRAD. The new wire inside gives almost 100% assurance. Almost, because it is possible to not connect either end correctly - touching another wire in the box.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2013 5:52:51 PM
(0)
Employee
You state you believe the original install was done incorrectly because the drop was not replaced?
Three basic drops, old copper pair-aerial(would need to replaced), old quad -burial (would need to be replaced),
and cat3 (blue and orange pair if 2 drop) not needing to be replaced.

Additionally if old hardware (ceramic protector, old splitter) either a new NID should be installed (preferred) or updated (no room as new nid is different design or stone, brick house to prevent drilling more holes) with new protector, splitter.

The home run cat5 install is pretty standard now, no using coax with diplexers or existing inside wiring with multiple jacks to deal with.
This is for singe family homes with access to wiring, many apartments and condo units have to use what is available, and some can be denied service on old quad wiring in large complex unless can talk owner into upgrading.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2013 7:40:03 PM
(0)
Explorer

I think you a are actually helping me over on broadband reports as well based on the user name? I don't want to be that guy especially if i am getting advice from the same group of people on both sites, i apologize. I just took a picture of my box outside & the wiring it looks like it is cat 5 directly to box and directly to RG & then maybe back out from the RG is a phone wire that also plugs into this box & feeds the houses outlets? I will say that the plastic enclosure of this group of wiring is a old bellsouth box but i wont conclude any of it is old on the inside i will let you draw that conclusion. I am tempted to rip it all out myself and force them to start from scratch at the box but i couldnt do that unless i was confident in what i was doing and i am fairly sure no one would advise me to do that. It is a single family home that we own, it is indeed brick.....most all homes are in this area actually but if that is all thats stopping them thats a terrible reason as we have a old empty box right above it and i would sign anything for anyone to drill two holes, i will drill myself if necessary. 

The reason i say that is because thats what i was told and from the beginning i was told there was a bridged tap that needed to be removed and then someone came and removed that. The guy told me basically there was a single copper wire & he replaced that drop with a newer one (i guess cat 5) does that make sense? should i post a pic here or over on broadband? I am happy to get help from both places i just dont want to give you/anyone twice the work if its largely the same group of people 

IMG_1825.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2013 1:27:54 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi FiveOhFour,

I greatly apologize about all the issues you are having with your services. I would be glad to investigate this for you further and run some line tests on our end to see if there is a possible bridge tap still present. I will be sending you a private message to gather more information so be on the lookout for one.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2013 1:52:13 PM
(0)
Explorer

Hi David and thanks, 

I am hesitant to accept your help for one reason only, there is a "social media team manager" who has been trying to help me, she spoke to the "Head tech" in my area (the manager of the other T3 techs that came out) and she was asking him to come out and he even called me on a friday and said he would try to come by and take care of me but he never called back and i just dont want the lady who has tried to help me to be "discipined" or anything like that because i have basically just stopped replying to her until I could do some research and gain some more knowledge because i finally said i wouldn't have anyone come out until i knew what i was talking about to the point i was comfortable standing my ground if certain things did or didnt happen.....are you on the same team of people as "a social media manager" who has been trying to help through twitter.....she has been very kind and while she may not know as much as many here she hasn't let that stop her from trying to help.....the only problem i have had is if i send a DM on twitter & she isnt there at that time she usually wont get it but that isnt't a big deal. 

My ultimate goal is to get the lines straightened out so that i can give y'all more money and upgrade to the power tier. One issue i have is poor communication among various employyes and departments, when i was first sold service a master linesmen and corporate u-verse tech came out and made measurements etc. & offered me a "pilot program" to test out "faster service than i can currently get" but something screwy happened & no one else knew what i was talking about and i could never reach them at the cell number i had. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2013 2:12:35 PM
(0)
Community Support

I am not part of the same team as that individual, but we are all here to help each other. It sounds like she is actively doing everything she can to ensure your issue is resolved. If you need any further assistance, whether you just need someone to step in, or just help with a general question, don't be afraid to ask, and I will be glad to assist.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 4, 2013 9:54:24 AM
(0)
Voyager

I have a somewhat unique problem with my gateway that I hope someone else has already seen and resolved.

I'm running a couple of corporate VPN phones behind my RG, one a Cisco 9971 and the other is an Avaya 9650.  Both have VPN firmware loads.  The Avaya VPN connection is rock-solid and never drops.  The Cisco phone is another story completely.  I get VPN tunnel drops for no apparent reason, typically after I've been on a call.  The call will work great and then within a couple of minutes of completion, the phone will unregister and I have to manually re-login using my VPN pin & token.

The one difference between the two devices is that the Cisco phone uses SSL and I believe the Avaya phone uses IPSec.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 19, 2014 7:46:13 PM
(0)
Contributor
I just got a free upgrade from the 3800HGV-B to this new Motorola NVG589, and it's AWESOME! Wireless N (FINALLY!), with great range, and IP Pass through, as advertised. It has a lot of awesome features, except the 1GB setting on the LAN ports killed all my wired clients when I enabled it. Still, overall, I'd cut off my left foot before going back to a 2Wire.
Now all that's left is to do a security audit on it and see what's open to the outside. The 2Wire has 51001TCP open, which is no longer used, and subject to quite a few MITM (Man In The Middle) attacks, as well as other things that male it inherently insecure.
Once again, I can confirm its Triple Play, easily configured, and so far very, very awesome.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 2, 2014 9:45:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

I want to fax from my PC using Windows Fax&Scan. Where do I connect by PC's internal modem to the MVG589. There is a single Phone 1/Phone 2 port.

Or, can I send a fax to the phone line directly from the PC to the MVG589 and out?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 2, 2014 10:26:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Georgia retiree - Old fashioned fax - uses a tel modem to apply the image to a tone riding the tel call. It is connected via the tel1/2 jack as you say.

You could disconnect the current connection, plug-in the FAX modem, send the fax, then restore the original connection.

You say you want a tel connected at the same time. Most FAX machines have a second jack for that. Maybe not on a FAX modem for a computer.

You can get a two set one line splitter.

If your line is currently connected to the wall, you can plug the FAX modem into any wall jack that has dial tone.

If you send a FAX image over the internet connection, it usually goes to a third party that sends it to a fax machine via tel.

Not sure why computer to computer fax never replaced the old style that rides the tel line,

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 2, 2014 6:26:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Wow, can't believe this thread is chugging around still lol.

It's weird that it's already been a year and almost 3 months since I posted it and it doesn't even seem that long ago since the NVG589 came out.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 6, 2014 2:09:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have a Motorola NVG589.

Started out with a little 2210. Then we got U-verse on our street. But just Internet on our side of the street while the people on the other side get everything.

So, we upgraded the Internet service and got some kind of U-verse modem that was awful. We struggled with it for about 3 months and they finally came out and gave us the Motorola NVG589.

Now that thing worked great!

We had it about a month then we upgraded to business service for 5 bucks more a month and got another modem - 5031MV.

So the NVG589 has been sitting on my desk for awhile and I finally called for a shipping label to send it in so I wouldn’t get charged for it.

They said it’s mine because I paid for it. Who knew?

I figured I would sell it on eBay but when I looked around there were none there. Then I Googled it and there are none for sale anywhere.

Anyone have any idea how much I should ask for it on eBay? I don’t even know how much I paid for it but since I did I’d like to get something back for it.

Thanks in advance!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 6, 2014 2:35:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

The answer is simple. The 2-wire battery is going on everyone --- if i didn't go in the basement, I wouldn't have heard the beeping. So, when they get the call, they send a guy with this one, who did what he could, but missed setting up my printer, so I figured it out.

But, I still had a question and I came here and worked it out.

Didn't realize the onld 2-wire was interfereing with my transmissions. This new one sped up a bunch,

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2014 6:20:29 AM
(0)
Voyager

How do you go about getting one of the new gateways?  My parents have service with a 3800 gateway which sucks but everytime I call tech support they do not know about the new model and say the current one is appropriate.  They currently lease the modem from AT&T

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2014 7:14:46 AM
(0)
Employee
Themask128....
if request new RG shipped will receive the 3801 RG. This is similar to 3800 but better sensitive at longer loop lengths and improved wifi signal.

the newer 589.. summer 2013... is only available from a tech service call. Requires a 4 hour appointment window plus tech should do an inspection to verify install is up to current standards.

The 3800 is still being used. I installed one yesterday in an MDU 4 family 800 feet from VRAD with 1 DVR and 6M internet. All tests passing.

As the 3800 is designed for less than 2200 feet single pair and the ports can support 100M while the best speed available on a 3800 profile is 24. The ports can handle 4 times the data that is available so no real need to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading.

Do your parts have tv service with Uverse... yes need to continue lease 3800 3801 or 589 all $7 per month.
No... return the 3800 and purchase a 5031 RG for $100 similiar to 3801 without TV support. Still would need tech visit appointment to acquire the 5031 as orders shipped are 3600 which is similar to 3800.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2014 9:31:12 PM
(0)
Voyager

When I contacted tech support they said that on the 3800/3801 series was available and if I had a tech come out they would not have a different model available.  I do not want to be potentially charged - is the 589 only available in certain areas?  - My parents have service in Troy, Michigan.