Posted Feb 14, 2013
Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?

I posted this over at Dslreports.com but figured I would post it here too.

I was looking at the Motorola website and found this...

»www.motorola.com/us/consumers/NV···,pd.html
Then....
»www.homepna.org/products/member_products/
Lists this product as
"Motorola NVG589 Bonded VDSL 11N Gateway"

Seems to be an IPTV/Internet/VOIP modem.

http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA16256

Would be pointless to make a battery/modem specifically for a service that wouldn't use it, wouldn't it ?

I wonder what the ADSL2+ gateway would be then? The 5111NV? I guess if they somehow don't use this then it'll be the Pace 5168NV for both ADSL2+/VDSL2.

Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?

[ Edited ]
114 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(114)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013
(0)

Hmm... well it has to be a triple play gateway since it says "Replacement Battery for NVG589 Triple Play Gateway for AT&T U-verse"

So... so far

-It's 2x2 wireless N with 300 Mbps with no dual band

-VDSL2

-Pair Bonding

-Can do HPNA

-Triple Play Gateway

-Doesn't require an outside the unit battery backup

Motorola Live Chat:"The NVG589 is a new AT&T Bonded VDSL gateway intended for AT&T U-Verse network with triple-play (Internet, TV, and Phone) functionality."

Re: Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013
(0)

I had heard a rumor that they were coming out with an RG to serve bonded pair without the iNID.  Apparently this is that box.  I wonder if it has the phantom circuit capability?!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 14, 2013
(0)

The rumor was that the Pace 5168NV would be the new gateway since it can pair bond and has VDSL2/ADSL2+.

I guess the Motorola has to be the real modem then set to be the newest gateway.

I wonder if the Motorola can also do ADSL2+ or if it's just VDSL2. They would need another modem for ADSL2+ if it's just VDSL2.

Motorola live chat didn't really know since it was so knew and there was little about it. It's so new to them that they originally thought I was from AT&T asking about the product ;P.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2013
(0)

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2013
(0)

I wonder if they've sent SomeJoe an early device so he can get started working on UVRealTime support for it. :smileyhappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2013
(0)

JefferMC wrote:

I wonder if they've sent SomeJoe an early device so he can get started working on UVRealTime support for it. :smileyhappy:

I would indeed be flattered if I was treated with that level of importance. :smileyhappy:  But I'm certainly not holding my breath.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 2, 2013
(0)

I just had U-Verse installed last week, i am in the Atlanta area and was given the NVG589.  So far works like a charm, averaging between 14-17Mb's down. I dont have voice just TV and internet.

Re: Motorola NVG589 - New U-verse Gateway?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 2, 2013
(0)

The NVG589 also has GigE ports, uses 802.11n (2x2), the battery is integral to the box, and connects the bonded pair (if used) via rj14 jack, so no "iNID per se. Phone is also provided by a separate rj14 POTS port.

It's a pretty hot rockin' box.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 2, 2013
(0)

ScottMac wrote:

The NVG589 also has GigE ports, uses 802.11n (2x2), the battery is integral to the box, and connects the bonded pair (if used) via rj14 jack, so no "iNID per se. Phone is also provided by a separate rj14 POTS port.

It's a pretty hot rockin' box.

This is actually my older version of http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/AT-amp-T-New-Equipment-Lineup-List-Motorola-NVG589-VAP2...

Go look there for pictures and such :smileyhappy:.

There's also:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28274340-New-Equipment-2013-VIP2500-NVG589-5031-VAP2500-and-more-

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)

I believe this RG is also capable of doing ADSL2...although I wouldn't expect ATT to allow them to be used for such since these are leased and NVG510 are bought. But in the DSL line selection options ADSL is listed. Also, this does indeed have IP Passthrough handy for those of us with better routers than the built in one. The 2x2 40Mhz N antenna does actually have pretty nice range however.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)

drumboy35 wrote:

I believe this RG is also capable of doing ADSL2...although I wouldn't expect ATT to allow them to be used for such since these are leased and NVG510 are bought. But in the DSL line selection options ADSL is listed. Also, this does indeed have IP Passthrough handy for those of us with better routers than the built in one. The 2x2 40Mhz N antenna does actually have pretty nice range however.

Maybe they'll use the Pace 5031NV(Both VDSL2/ADSL2+) along with the NVG510.  Not really sure at all of what they plan to do with these situations.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 7, 2013
(0)
The 5031nv is starting to be used instead of the 3600 (no TV service) on vdsl circuits, I believe the 510 will be the go to on adsl2+.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 10, 2013
(0)

My NVG589 was installed yesterday!  Yes, it has a TRUE bridge mode!  Yes, it has Wireless N (300Mbs), although Dual Band N or Wireless AC would have been nice.  I guess we'll have to wait another 4 years for those improvements...  LOL  Yes, it has Gigabit Ethernet ports (finally)!  Yes, it can be put in 40mHz mode!  Yes, it can be run on a single, rather than bonded pair, so even if you don't have bonded pair, I'd be trying to get one of these new RG's!  Yes, it is made by Motorola, so no more Pace junk!  The senior tech who installed this yesterday (I was the first one in my area to get one.) stated that they were officially replacing ALL of the bonded pair gateways with these new NVG589's whenever problems arrose, so y'all wanting to switch know what you need to do, right?  :smileywink:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&called...

Look at the very bottom link.  That's the Administrator's Manual for the NVG589, and NO you will not receive ANY documentation or manuals with this new RG.  So bookmark that page!  It's 216 pages long, so you may or may not feel like printing the thing.

Of note...  There IS a command line interface for this RG, and the instructions for getting into it are in the above manual, along with the available commands.  There is also a DEBUG mode.  Does this mean that rooting this new RG will soon be possible?  I hope so, because there are two jacks on this new RG which are neither described nor used, as of yet.  The most important for most of us is the USB port, which according to the Motorola tech support guy I chatted with earlier this morning is currently "disabled by AT&T", but could provide network backup for your computers (I was asking about network Time Machine backups for my Mac's on the network.) in the future should AT&T "turn the port on".  So do we have a uPNP USB port on this new RG just waiting to be "turned on"?  Almost assuredly.  The real question is will we have to wait for AT&T to turn it on, or will some enterprising individual figure out a way for us to do it ourselves.  Speaking of which, you can adjust the output power of the wireless radio.  Right now the max is 100%.  Again, the possibility of overdriving the wireless radio a bit, ALA the Tomato firmware you can flash some routers with, seems likely if the RG is indeed hackable. 

Lastly, there is a top port which is designed for direct fiber from the curb input!  FYI, this new uVerse RG is pretty much identicle to the one Motorola makes for EATEL's true FIOS offering, so 100Mb/s Up/Down should be possible in the future.  This RG is undoubtably AT&T's answer to competing with Google Fiber in the areas where it's available, as well as other true FIOS offerings by other national and regional providers.  I guess the real question will be how cheap AT&T will be, and how soon we'll start seeing them lay direct fiber to the house and start dumping IPTV over copper.  It may be a while as supposedly AT&T is testing 48MB/s (No word on whether this is a 48 meg profile or true 48MB/s Internet speed.) in Miami using te NVG589.  What I do know is that at 3300ft from the VRAD using bonded pair on a kCard, I've got one of the cleanest 25 meg profiles you've ever seen, and I could easily go to a 32 meg profile if AT&T offered it in my area.

This new RG seems to be breathing some new life into the uVerse service!  Now if it won't keep frying at least once per month like my old Pace RG was (iNID would just power cycle and never hold sync, and I've been having the issue since just before the first of the year!), I'll be relatively happy...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 10, 2013
(0)

Yes, I have heard about these new remote gateways.  There is a discussion about this new device over on DSLReports.com.

Apparently, if your pair is hooked up to a Kcard in the VRAD you shouldn't have too much problem getting a 32M profile at 3000 feet if the lines are decent.  Kcards usually have around 75 Mbps out of the VRAD and sync drops at about 1 Mbps per 100 feet of loop length.

So technically speaking if you start off with 75 Mbps and you have a 3000 foot loop, you should in theory have 45 Mbps at the other end of the loop.

(3000 feet / 100 feet = 30      1 Mbps * 30 = 30 Mbps      75 Mbps - 30 Mbps = 45 Mbps)

It seems that this new gateway may very well be the device that will allow AT&T to be able to deploy uVerse on much longer loop lengths.

Combine the fact that this RG seems to be able to handle longer loop lengths with higher max sync rates AND pair-bonding, AT&T may very well have a winning combination on their hands. A 32M profile and beyond may very well be coming to even those on pair-bonded setups.

This new gateway seems to lend some credibility to the rumors of faster Internet speeds. At least in my mind it does. Along with the possibility of having in excess of 100 Mbps to the home even for those far away from the VRAD.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 10, 2013
(0)

I've had my NVG-589 for a little over 3 weeks now and I can certainly tell you from experience that it's leaps and bounds better than the previous bonded pair equipment! Both of my lines are running about 35,000+/-so I actually have a combined sync rate of > 65,000! Wish I could use it all.

The wireless is much better also. Other than the fact that it's N making it faster the signal strength is also stronger and much more uniform in all directions from the RG.  The only thing I wish we could do with it was change the DNS routers instead of being stuck with the AT&T ones!

Anyone who receives this RG should be a very happy camper!

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 11, 2013
(0)

Everything is working pretty good at my house, so how do I get one of these new routers.  I like having new stuff.  Should I come up with a problem that's not really happening?  Someone give me a good line to use so I can get this new equipment.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 13, 2013
(0)

Jerms wrote:

Everything is working pretty good at my house, so how do I get one of these new routers.  I like having new stuff.  Should I come up with a problem that's not really happening?  Someone give me a good line to use so I can get this new equipment.

For now, the NVG589 is only used on new bonded pair installs in a few select markets.  Even existing inid installs will not be swapped out once they're in place for now.  It will not be used to swap in for 3801s unless that loop is being converted to a bonded pair.  Also with a couple of the glitches that need to be ironed out, probably best to wait for them to work themselves out.   To get yours though probably need to wait for the 3801s to be phased out the for bonded pair to be used on shorter loops.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2013
(0)

unrtechie wrote:

Jerms wrote:

For now, the NVG589 is only used on new bonded pair installs in a few select markets.  Even existing inid installs will not be swapped out once they're in place for now.  It will not be used to swap in for 3801s unless that loop is being converted to a bonded pair.  Also with a couple of the glitches that need to be ironed out, probably best to wait for them to work themselves out.   To get yours though probably need to wait for the 3801s to be phased out the for bonded pair to be used on shorter loops.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Well...........

That depends uponm your market.  In the Baton Rouge market, the NVG589 is going into any new bonded pair install, and is what your current RG and iNID will be replaced with should it fail.  In our market they are consolidating RG's so there will be exactly TWO carried on the trucks for consumer use.  That's it.  Two types  of RG's period for all the various installs, and you know that one of them will be one for customers not using VDSL, so you do the math on whether the NVG589 will only be for bonded pair installs.  Especially since you can choose single pair as an install choice within the RG.  It's made for both.

If it was me, I'd be chatting up local uVerse tech's to find out if they already have some NVG589's on hand, and if not, when they're expecting them.  Trust me, those inside tech's want these on their trucks real bad because it makes the installs SO much easier and faster than the old RG's.  The senior tech who installed mine told me I was the first customer for whom he had installed an NVG589, and he couldn't believe how easy the install was.  He was impressed.  So far, I've been impressed as well.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 21, 2013
(0)

The new RGs are supposed to be used for new bonded pair installs only when called for specifically in the service order. We have been told to burn down the Inid stock by still using them for repairs. Rewiring the house from an Inid install for the NVG589 wouldn't necessarily be an easy thing also, so most techs would try to avoid it.

The 55Mb profile, however, is rolling out in west region right now, allowing for internet speeds of 45/5. This is only for people within 2200ft (current distance for 32Mb profile). 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 21, 2013
(0)

drumboy35 wrote:

The 55Mb profile, however, is rolling out in west region right now, allowing for internet speeds of 45/5. This is only for people within 2200ft (current distance for 32Mb profile). 

And requires the use of bonded pair with the NVG589. Forgot that part.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)

When is that going to be coming to the North East Ohio region?  I want some faster Internet speeds.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)

trparky wrote:

When is that going to be coming to the North East Ohio region?  I want some faster Internet speeds.

The RGs should already be there. No clue on when the new profile will be. But since it is currently in the West market, then I wouldn't expect more than a few months before a full rollout of it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013
(0)

I wouldn't go calling in making up nonsense about your service to try to get the new modem. Give it some time first. As with all replacements, there will be kinks to work out. And, the iNids will have to be used up before they will replace them with the new modems. 

But, if you genuinely have issues with your service, and the tech on site doesn't have the part for your iNiD, ....... Bingo, u just hit the jackpot!  

As far as the faster speeds and backward compatibility to adsl2+ goes... Haven't heard much about that yet. But, I'm in the SE region and we normally get stuff a good bit later, even tho we have more fiber?????? Oh well. I know I'm ready for some 50+ mbs service to blow away the cable cos ! 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013
(0)

drumboy35 wrote:

drumboy35 wrote:

No.  No it doesn't require bonded pair.  Single pair and bonded pair are both selectable options from the pulldown menu during installation.  AT&T may want to only use these for bonded pair installs to begin with, but the NVG589 works just fine either way.

If you'd like to read up on all that it can do before you get them in your area, here's a link to the manual that both Motorola and AT&T say doesn't exist...

drumboy35 wrote:

drumboy35 wrote:

FCC Required Documentation

Click on the very last link entitled "User Manual.pdf".

And yes, the FCC requires that a full user manual be submitted to it prior to FCC approval, and yes, they post all of those manuals for the general public to peruse, if they know what/where to look. :smileywink:  So if there is an RG, iNID, battery back up, etc that you REALLY want/need the full manual for, and neither the device manufacturer or your ISP feels inclined to make said manual available to you, this FCC site will have a PDF of said manual somewhere on their site... 

Happy hunting!  :smileyvery-happy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013
(0)

I would NEVER encourage anyone to "make up" problems with their current RG.  I'd just make sure that there really was "something" not working as intended before I made that call(s)..........

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013
(0)

Wineaux wrote:
And yes, the FCC requires that a full user manual be submitted to it prior to FCC approval, and yes, they post all of those manuals for the general public to peruse, if they know what/where to look. :smileywink:  So if there is an RG, iNID, battery back up, etc that you REALLY want/need the full manual for, and neither the device manufacturer or your ISP feels inclined to make said manual available to you, this FCC site will have a PDF of said manual somewhere on their site... 

However, the vendor does not have to keep that manual up to date with any firmware changes it may make after publication of that version of the manual.  Compare the 3800 manual on the FCC website with a current 3800; you will see little if any resemblance in the UI.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013
(0)

So what?  The hardware itself doesn't change.  All we really care about is the guts of the device.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013
(0)

Wineaux wrote:

drumboy35 wrote:

drumboy35 wrote:

No.  No it doesn't require bonded pair.  Single pair and bonded pair are both selectable options from the pulldown menu during installation.  AT&T may want to only use these for bonded pair installs to begin with, but the NVG589 works just fine either way.

If you'd like to read up on all that it can do before you get them in your area, here's a link to the manual that both Motorola and AT&T say doesn't exist...

The 55Mb profile requires bonded pair within 2200ft. I wasn't saying the NVG589 did.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013
(0)

Let me get this straight.  Even if you are under 2200 feet, you still need pair bonding for the 55M profile?

So for a person like me who practically has the VRAD as their neighbor (mine is six houses away) and is an estimated 500 feet away, I would need a pair-bonded setup.  Is this correct?

When upgrading to an Internet tier that requires this kind of setup, will the customer be required to pay an installation cost?