dhascall's profile

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

Sunday, April 10th, 2011 2:55 PM

Frequent RG Resets - Oh, not again!

Wife informed that the service is "freezing up."  She is growing tired of this and so am I. 

Before posting my UVRT screens here are two observations:

1. I  have severe but wildly intermittent static on my AT&T POTS landline.

2. Since June 2010 my distance to VRAD has changed.  This morning it was 2600 but now it is showing 1700.  Odd.

3. An AT&T linesman has been in our neighborhood working on the line.  He noted that they were adding additional UV capacity.  Wonder if our pair got twisted with someone elses, again ?

NOTE: The first screen is from June 2010, the rest today.

Stats.jpgStats-2011-04-10-08-53-45.pngErrorTable-2011-04-10-08-55-26.pngInterfaces-2011-04-10-08-55-34.pngBitloading-2011-04-10-08-55-52.pngCoaxHPNA-2011-04-10-08-56-02.png

6 Attachments

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

dhascall,

Obviously still huge intermittent problems there.  I'd contact David at this point and see if they can send a senior premises tech and a senior I&M guy.  Your line is obviously still having major problems, they need to switch you to another pair at minimum.

Thank ya sir.  So the errors that my UVRT are showing seem signal related and not electrical interference, right? if so (or not) how can you tell?  Thanks again!

gofer and spd - a dry pair sounds good.  We have had a very wet winter (snowy) and damp spring (lots of heavy, driving rains) plus it has been very windy.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

After heavy thunderstorms Saturday morning, had some dropouts and once or twice overnight, after more storms.  Getting old.

Updated UVRT's!:  What is going on around 1 MHz?

Stats-2011-04-19-07-20-47.PNG

Bitloading-2011-04-19-07-20-11.PNG

ErrorTable-2011-04-19-07-20-37.PNG

3 Attachments

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

The 1MHz interference is likely the source of all the errors.  You might have to find the offending item in your house by following a similar procedure to the one I used in the Tracking Down Line Interference thread.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

The 1MHz interference is likely the source of all the errors.  You might have to find the offending item in your house by following a similar procedure to the one I used in the Tracking Down Line Interference thread.

Thanks.  I was afraid of that.  HOWEVER - Andy from Tier 2 has assured me that the issues that he is seeing are coming into the home.

The retrains also seem to happen after it has rained - so that is odd too and might not make it something going bad inside the dry house.  I'm Stumped!

We have been having (sometimes) concurrent static on our AT&T POTS line.  Could this static be feeding into the U-Verse system?  

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

All of what you listed points to a line problem.  The static on POTS, the weather-related severity of the issue, etc. all seem to point to a bad line.  Did they actually change you to a different pair last time?

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

All of what you listed points to a line problem.  The static on POTS, the weather-related severity of the issue, etc. all seem to point to a bad line.  Did they actually change you to a different pair last time?

Supposedly did.   Saturday, the Linesman are supposed to come out to completely rewire POTS install (inside and out) and I think that Andy (T2) might be trying to get the UV experts look at it too.   This is frustrating!

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

Fingers Crossed: Both U-Verse Link Retrain and AT&T POTS Static Solved!

Andy from Tier 2 had originally scheduled an I&R (outside)guy to work on POTS static but after more rain-based  UV problems cropped up, I guess the priority was changed to UV and a UV Premises Tech showed up.  I told him about the frequent losses of TV and internet for a few minutes hear and there after rainy weather.  I also noted that AT&T POTS was still staticy on an intermittent basis, especially after rainy weather.

He checked the UV lines and said that he would be right back.  I saw him out the back window, pulling down the coax run from the back of the house, that feeds the RG.  He then came in and put in a new wall plate and a new cable from the wall to the RG.  He noted that "they" (they = AT&T's test software) had indicated a bridge tap and very bad (signal and error) numbers.  He noted that after he replaced those items that the numbers jumped to perfect readings.  Before he left he called an outside ticket in for the phone POTS issue.

The outside guy came and looked around the back and then he said that he was going to go from pole to pole to see what he could find.  Guess what?  He found a cover that was open and water had poured in to the lines.  He cleaned and dried that up and reattached the cover and we have not seen a return of POTS static.

So we do sound good to go but I beg to ask the question about both issues - why in the heck did it take 12 people over 6 visits to find what sounds like easy fixes?

NOTES:

1. After the UV PT left, I checked UVRT stats and the broad interference near 1.1 MHz that showed after a rain INSTANTLY vanished.  My distance from the VRAD which is normally 1600' showed 1400' afterwards.  So, that line or wall plate must have equated to a bridge tap.

2. I do have an issue with my AC outlet that the RG plugs into.  It needs to be replaced as the receptacles are loose.  If the cord is jostled, it loses power and you hear the beeping of the battery back-up.  I asked if it was causing issues.   He did not think that in its present condition it would effect U-Verse but he has noted some folks having similar issues (like SomeJoe's bad power supply) that interference could feed back and take the entire neighborhood down! Smiley Surprised

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

13 years ago

Sounds like you finally got the multiple problems identified and taken care of, Dave.  Now that AC outlet needs to be replaced for more than one reason.  Loose, intermittent connections can arc and get very hot....even, under some conditions, cause fires.....not to mention the poor RG trying to decide whether it's on or off.

Scholar

• 

286 Messages

13 years ago

@hpmsrm wrote:

Sounds like you finally got the multiple problems identified and taken care of, Dave.  Now that AC outlet needs to be replaced for more than one reason.  Loose, intermittent connections can arc and get very hot....even, under some conditions, cause fires.....not to mention the poor RG trying to decide whether it's on or off.

I agree completely with the above post, it is a big safety factor, I worked 37 years as an electrician and have seen what things like that can do.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

Yeah I will get that bad outlet swapped out, hopefully this weekend.  The RG only looses power if I bump the power cord by moving the TV.

Now back to the main dilemma, my wife said that the TV / internet froze again last night, three separate times. Smiley Mad

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.