Posted Apr 25, 2012
6:08:48 PM
Firmware update for Motorola nvg510

Any one know when a firmware update will be available for the motorola nvg510. It's very frustrating piece of ###. The constant robbing of my browsers home page (Firefox and IE) because the device can't keep connection to the DNS servers 99.99.99.53 and 153. It has gotten very annoying. Does anyone have any ideas how to keep the stupid thing from hijacking my home page url ???   "http://www.google.com/cgi-bin/redirect.ha" (this takes me to a bogus error message about phone lines)  takes a lot of wrangling to get it away from the device..

Firmware update for Motorola nvg510

59 replies
(4) Me too
(4) Me too
Replies
(59)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 25, 2012 6:12:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
orrml04 - Strange doings - If you are having DNS problems, try google 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.8.4
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Firmware update for Motorola nvg510

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 25, 2012 6:19:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks, that is what I'm doing. (using a different DNS address) and a static address. But when ever the device loses DNS, can't make a connection, it hijacks my home page url. (redirects me to a diagnostic page)  It's stupid and you can't change the DNS setting in the motorola.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 26, 2012 7:21:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

This has been an ongoing problem with the NVGs. Why AT&T has not addressed it, well, they're AT&T.

I would get a different modem/gateway. From what they offer, the Pace 4111N looks pretty good and have not heard much negative about it. It also looks to have the best wireless out of any of AT&T's offerings.

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020062&q_sku=sku5520238&q_manufactu...=

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 27, 2012 10:26:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just switched from the NVG510 to the older Motorola 2210-02-1ATT IP-DSLAM modem and my connectivity and VPN issues went away.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 30, 2012 11:31:51 AM
(0)
Employee

Best bet right now if you can find one is the 2210-02-1ATT for IP-DSL.  Unfortunately the 4111N is not compatible with IP-DSL right now, though a version is in the works from what I've heard with an unknown release date.  When it comes to the 2210 though it is being phased out because the company wants to get send out devices that already have the ATA included and are wireless out of the box.  

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 30, 2012 1:50:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
I am having the same problem over and over >>>>Error message http://www .(google and other sites) .com/cgi-bin/ipdiags.ha. Potential Connection Issue (Message ID: NAD-2902). I hope someone helps you and that I subsequently get the same help.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 5, 2012 8:02:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

This helped me with my issues - There seems to be an issue with the DNS servers that ATT uses - I changed mine to google DNS public servers and all is well - 

Motorola Help or 

http://www.ron-berman.com/2011/11/24/motorola-nvg510-help-page-for-att-u-verse-users/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 28, 2012 6:53:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

when is at&t going to pay attention to its customers and upgrade the firmware on this.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 2, 2012 10:44:18 PM
(0)
Contributor
Same problem here. I got U-verse Pro barely a month ago, it comes with NVG510 (software version 9.0.6h2d21, which to my knowledge is a new/latest firmware). I use MacOSX (Safari & Firefox), and a couple of cellphones (running on Symbian v5 and Android) to wi-fi, did add google DNS to the System Preferences/Network, turned off IPv6 on AT&T GUI page, yet every week I called tech support to find out what's with the "Potential Connection Issue". On a couple of occasions, the tech support reset from AT&T end followed by my restarting the computer; it did not fix the problem until I reset the modem myself. When it happened after office hours, I resorted to resetting the modem. After the last attempt just few days ago over the same issue, the tech support suggested that a technician come to see if there's a connection issue OUTSIDE the house, and I agreed because I was frustrated and thinking that a new modem may not fix the problem. So, the technician came today and said there's nothing wrong with the phone line, checked the modem, reset it the way I always did, and suggested that my computer AND cellphones must be the ones having the problems because everything seems to work just fine. Nice to know how an AT&T technician can just blame it on the customer's equipment when he said it himself that he's not an IT person (he's the "line guy"), claimed to have never seen NVG510 before, never encountered this issue until he came to the house, doesn't even know what ping is nor that Internet Explorer, which I have but don't use, looks slightly different on a Mac.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 14, 2012 4:05:45 PM
(0)
Voyager

Hi Junior,

You think the Motorola 2210-02-1ATT IP-DSLAM is a better choice than the NVG510?  If so, do you know the best place to get the AT&T model?

Thanks! 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2012 11:20:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

mabsie wrote:
I am having the same problem over and over >>>>Error message http://www .(google and other sites) .com/cgi-bin/ipdiags.ha. Potential Connection Issue (Message ID: NAD-2902).

The solution to this very annoying problem is to clear your browser cache. 

In Firefox options, go to the "Advanced" tab, then the "Network" tab, then under "Cached Web Content" click the button that says "Clear Now."   I always make sure to first navigate to some web page that loads correctly, though I'm not sure if this is necessary.

In IE options, go to the "General" tab, then under "Browsing History" click the Delete button, then make sure that "Temporary Internet Files" is checked, then click "Delete."

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 20, 2013 5:07:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

AT&T is not the old AT&T. It's hard to image a network company ever spec'ing network software like AT&T has done with all of their U-Verse devices. This device is being pushed into businesses as a network solution and it does not allow one to disable it's lame DHCP so that a business network can be configure on the business side(private network).

I have worked with both the 2Wire device and the Motorola NVG510 device and both were software spec'ed by AT&T to not allow for private network configuration for a business, yes you can put another router behind these devices but they don't even offer standard bridge configuration. To top it off the NVG510 seems to drop network connections or like other viewers here are seeing fail to resolve DNS connections. To test this device I was testing with streaming sites, like Netflixs and the device will just pause for a bit... This can look like DNS issues since the TCP IP request appears to be dropped.

It appears that AT&T is phasing out the old DSL modems in favor of these u-verse modems but there are serious reliability issues with the two devices I have been testing... anyone have any better luck? I have tested both in Raleigh, NC & Charleston, SC. It's almost impossible to run a business with these devices, I have to tell my clients that they have to keep reissuing their web request either by restarting the browsers or any means possible.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 21, 2013 5:23:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru
The only way to fix the modem itself is to root inside of the modem. Unfortunately, due to how AT&T setup the forum's policies, I can't link or post any instructions on how to root. Though it is just a simple 1-line change. Googling 'root nvg510' should do the trick :smileywink:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2013 5:35:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am SOOO glad I found this fourm and others like it. Have uVerse and a wonderful NVG510. Yep it goes down daily and AT&T support is beyond worthless. They had my Wife convinced that the reason we were having issues a few days ago was beacouse we did not use the Yellow Cat 5 that came with the unit to connect up to our network (I used a black Cat5e - silly me). Honestly, where do they get these clowns? Glad to know I am not alone. Guess I will just restart the NVG510 daily until AT&T actualy admits they have issues with the NVG 510 modems and issues a software patch of some sort.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 1, 2013 6:46:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

This might seem odd, but the error message I got said something about line filters.  I re-installed my old DSL line filters.  No problems anymore. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 6, 2013 7:26:35 AM
(0)
Voyager

Hey I dont know if anyone is still finding this thread as they search for a fix but I just wanted to leave this just incase it can help someone else. This video will tell you how to enable telnet and disable the redirect with it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_O6rus8Yqw

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 8, 2013 7:24:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

I switched over from using  a 2Wire modem to a Motorola NVG510 and am having my Internet fall offline about every four to six hours , a technician came out yesterday and the first thing he told me was that modem has firmware issues and both AT&T & Motorola now about it, The problem I believe is the Motorola modem was designed for Fiber optics lines only and not copper wires like in my area. AT&T and Motorola should man up and admit this problem and propose a fix rI called them tonight and AT&T is sending me anothermodem we will see what happens. next No doubt about it.Just do a google search for Motorola NVG510 and read what you see.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 8, 2013 7:28:13 PM
(0)
Teacher

Is there a way to program this modem or put it in bridge mode so that it works only as a modem and not a router ? So that I can use my Linksys Router instead ?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 9, 2013 3:54:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
The only true issue with the NVG510 is the sensitive error messages (NAD2902 specifically). If your connection is dropping multiple times a day, the technician was wrong. There is actually a 1-line code change once you root inside the modem to turn off the error messages. If you're content with your internet minus the error messages, then do some research on NVG 510 rooting to fix. Its against the community guidelines to post the fix and I've had those posts removed numerous times.

Bottom line is the NAD2902 points towards real service issues you may not have been aware existed when you had the 2Wire RG beforehand. You can disable the error message OR get a technician (sometimes it takes a few) to fix the service issues.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 9, 2013 4:11:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

Why is it against the rules to post the fix on this forum that makes no sense.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 9, 2013 4:15:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

AT&T Is sending me another modem I dont know if it will be a Motorola NVG510 but when I called last night and reported the internet falling offline again after the tech was at my house Tuesday they agreed to send me another modem , are there other modems that AT&T can send me ? Or can I go back to using the 2Wire Home Portale ?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 9, 2013 8:52:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
I believe the only ADSL2+ Modems are the Motorola 2210, NVG510, and 2Wire 2701 HGV-B. 2210 are not being proactively shipped and I don't believe Customer Care can ship them out however technicians may still carry them on their tricks. 2701 HGV-B is not carried in ATT's warehouse any longer.

So no, NVG510 is the modem ATT is using for NVG510. A Pace modem should be coming out in the next 6 months.

You'd have to post the model number of the 2Wire so I can help you with that.. there are some 2Wires that are just ADSL (DSL) not ADSL2+ (UV IPDSL).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2013 2:16:12 PM
(0)
Teacher

@ Bauwls

Resonse to this, You'd have to post the model number of the 2Wire so I can help you with that.. there are some 2Wires that are just ADSL (DSL) not ADSL2+ (UV IPDSL).

SN********* also listed on the Bar Code 

I think this is the model # 2701HG-B

Let me know if there is something missing

From what I was told by the AT&T tech I was switched over from ATM-DSL to IP-DSL , and if anyone told me that there are fiber optics lines in my area then I was given incorrect information there are only Copper lines to the HUB in downtown, This may be an issue that the Mororola NVG510 is designed for a UVERSE Fiber Optics line and not Copper lines.

When my Motorola NVG510 stops allowing me to go online my webbrowser comes up with this on the screen.

http://go microsoft com/cgi-bin/ipdiags ha

Thank You

[edited for privacy]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2013 4:53:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

2701 HG-B is your old ADSL modem which is not compatible with U-verse ADSL2+. There is nothing wrong with Fiber Optics vs Copper lines in your area. From the DSLAM to your house is copper, that is what ADSL2+ is and specifically what the modem is designed for. ADSL2+ and ADSL are are different standards with different frequency spectra, they require different modems and different DSLAMS. Both technologies are DSL though and run on copper for the 'last mile' to the NID on your house.

Can you screenshot 'http://go microsoft com/cgi-bin/ipdiags ha' for me please when you see it next? Is that the screen that shows a NAD error and gives the message to either click Continue or Do Not Show? If you don't want to screenshot it, respond with the error number (NAD 2902, NAD 3000, etc) instead.

Also, there is a difference between the NVG510 'hijacking' your browser page and no internet output from the modem. When you can't get online, try to open up command prompt (windows vista: Start -> type cmd -> click on black cmd.exe box up top; windows 7: start -> type cmd -> press enter) and just type 'ping google.com' without the apostraphes. If your ping test looks like this with 4 replies, then the issue is with the diagnostics page and not that you're dropping connection.

ping

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2013 5:03:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thank You. By the way I just received a replacement Motorola NVG510 via UPS just abou an hour ago, so I will be swaping it out if and when this modem goes down.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2013 11:59:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

@Bauwls,

Yes sir that's exactly what I do when m y Internet becomes slow or web pages wont load or are slow to load. I ruin a Ping or Tracert command  from the command prompt, and I get time outs. and or no replys. Now late last night I put the replacement Motorola NVG510 in and mailed the  other one back this morning, so far everything is still up and running.

Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2013 4:23:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Yeah hopefully everything works out fine with the new modem, however the issue is very rarely a defective modem. If you are having full dropouts and the Broadband light turns red, you'll definitely need a technician.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2013 7:51:52 PM
(0)
Teacher

@Bauwls well just as I thought the problem was fixed by replacing the modem the CGI-Bin dot ha as returned. Only by unplugging the NVG510 for 30 seconds and re plugging it in corrects this, This time it went down about twenty four hours after installing the new modem.  So here are some snapshots.Motorola-NVG510-CGI-BIn-20130511-2146 Hrs CST.jpg20130511-2139hrs-CST CGI-Bin-Ha.jpg20130511-2055 hrs CST-Motorola NVG510.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2013 8:16:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Yeah that's not a modem issue, it's notifying you that there is no Broadband link to your modem. It may take a few technicians, but this is an issue with your service. I would also recommend asking for credits due to the intermittent hsia once ATT fixes it.

This issue will occur with both the 2701hgv-b and the 2210 until fixed.