dagarwal313's profile

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

Thursday, July 12th, 2012 8:46 PM

Do I have to buy a new 2Wire 3600HGV modem?

I ordered Uverse Internet in July 2011 and received the 2Wire 3600HGV modem.

I used it for 3 months and then had to move to a place where Uverse was not available.

Now its July 2012 and I am moving again, and the new place has Uverse availability.

I placed my order online and it doesn't have the option to remove that modem from the Shopping Cart.

Chat support said I should call them at 800-288-2020 and they will remove the modem from my order.

When I called, they said my old modem will not work because they will start my service and will register the new modem's serial number during activation.

Has anyone recently started service and used a modem they already had?

(I also have a 2Wire DSL modem from AT&T that I bought from them in 2007, and I have moved in 2008, 2009, 2011 and have been using it in all the new places without having to order a new one, nothing to do with serial number)

So do I have to buy a new 2Wire 3600HGV modem, or can I use the 2Wire 3600HGV modem that I bought from AT&T last year?

Guru

• 

428 Messages

12 years ago

Not really, but the agent setting up the order should know. Ask them which type of modem. If it's a NVG510 - it's ADSL2+. If it's VDSL, it's 3801,3800, or 3600.... inquire about 'BYOE' or ship back the new modem. The old modem WILL work if it's vdsl

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

One thing you might could find out is if IPTV is available at your new address.  If it is, the 3600 should be able to serve you (well, you can't use it for TV, but it means VDSL2 is available, and the 3600 is a VDSL2 modem)..

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Issue resolved. I called the helpline and they confirmed that I do not need a new Modem and could use the old modem I had.

Thanks

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for posting that everything is resolved.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

11 years ago

Issue NOT resolved!!

Someone else wrote about their issue in the comments and wrote that their issue has been resolved.

I am still getting the run around from Uverse customer support.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Please click this AT&T logoCustomer Service link to send a Private Message (PM) to the AT&T customer service team to help you resolve your request. You can expect a reply via return PM (blue envelope in the upper right hand corner of this site).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I wrote a few columns about ISP's and their discontents, ending with this one, which has links to the others.

In researching them, I learned that ISP's are willing to charge a ton of money for unnecessary services and modems/set-top boxes. But they'll also capitulate to heady consumers, and especially to people who use media/social media to call them out on their abuses.

To answer the question posed by the OP (again): You absolutely don't need to buy a new modem from them. They absolutely will try to sell you one anyway.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

They will not sell you a new modem.  You do not need to buy a new modem. 

They'll lease you one.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.