dagarwal313's profile

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

Thursday, July 12th, 2012 8:46 PM

Do I have to buy a new 2Wire 3600HGV modem?

I ordered Uverse Internet in July 2011 and received the 2Wire 3600HGV modem.

I used it for 3 months and then had to move to a place where Uverse was not available.

Now its July 2012 and I am moving again, and the new place has Uverse availability.

I placed my order online and it doesn't have the option to remove that modem from the Shopping Cart.

Chat support said I should call them at 800-288-2020 and they will remove the modem from my order.

When I called, they said my old modem will not work because they will start my service and will register the new modem's serial number during activation.

Has anyone recently started service and used a modem they already had?

(I also have a 2Wire DSL modem from AT&T that I bought from them in 2007, and I have moved in 2008, 2009, 2011 and have been using it in all the new places without having to order a new one, nothing to do with serial number)

So do I have to buy a new 2Wire 3600HGV modem, or can I use the 2Wire 3600HGV modem that I bought from AT&T last year?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

U-verse internet comes in a couple of different flavors:  VDSL and ADSL2.  The 2Wire 3600HGV is a VDSL2 modem.  If internet service at your new residence is delivered by VDSL, you should be able to use your current modem.  If it is delivered by ADSL2, you would need to purchase the new ADSL2 modem.

If you are able to use your current modem,  you can return the new 3600HGV that you will be shipped using the return label in the box.  Your account will be credited back with the cost of that modem.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you texasguy37

Is there a way to know if I will get ADSL2 or VDSL ?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Do you know which modem is being shipped to you?

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

12 years ago

Yes, they are shipping that same 3600 HGV which I have from last year.

The representative that I spoke to yesterday to remove that modem from my order insisted that my old one will not work because "it will ask for a serial number during activation" and I don't believe this part.

He even said that "we will ship you the exact same model, will look exactly the same, will have the same color, everything will be the same except for the serial number, and your internet will not work if you use the old modem"

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

If you are receiving another 3600 HGV, your service is delivered by VDSL2.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

Oh, I can believe that.  However, I also believe that they can alter your order for new service to use the serial number from the old modem, and that it will work just as well as the new modem.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

12 years ago

So I activated my service on Saturday, it didnt work with my new modem or old modem so I called Tech Support who said that they need to send a technician to my house to check outside wiring.

This Tech Support on phone also insisted that only the new router will work.

The technician came in the afternoon, he did something to the wiring outside and asked me to connect my router.

I connected my old router and my internet started working.

It doesn't ask for a serial number or anything.

I asked the technician, he said that whatever Tech Support said is incorrect, they don't care what router we use.

AT&T, why don't you educate your Tech Support and Billing department about this?

Now I need to call AT&T again and spend more time to request for a RMA to return this new router and get my $100 refund.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@dagarwal313 wrote:

AT&T, why don't you educate your Tech Support and Billing department about this?

Now I need to call AT&T again and spend more time to request for a RMA to return this new router and get my $100 refund.

You should not need to call AT&T to get an RMA.  There should be a prepaid mailing label in the box that the new modem was shipped in.  You should be able to use that label to return the modem through US Mail (USPS).  You would want to make a copy of the label so that the package can be tracked.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you texasguy37, I do have the return label, and it has a field to enter the RMA.

I haven't got time to call AT&T yet so I looked at their FAQ, it says to call them to get the RMA before shipping it back.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

@texasguy37 wrote:

U-verse internet comes in a couple of different flavors:  VDSL and ADSL2.  The 2Wire 3600HGV is a VDSL2 modem.  If internet service at your new residence is delivered by VDSL, you should be able to use your current modem.  If it is delivered by ADSL2, you would need to purchase the new ADSL2 modem.

If you are able to use your current modem,  you can return the new 3600HGV that you will be shipped using the return label in the box.  Your account will be credited back with the cost of that modem.

Dear Texasguy,

I am in the same situation where I have the 2Wire 3600HGV modem from purchasing it in Oct 11, I am now moving and the new location also has Uverse and when I apply either for an extension of the existing connection or for a new connection I am obligated to purchase the 2Wire 3600HGV modem. I understand your response on VDSL and ADSL2 (VDSL2?), but how can I find out what connection my new house has? How could the computer online automatically know what connection is necessary for the new connection as it only states that a 2Wire 3600HGV modem purchase is necessary? Consequently my questions are as follows:

1. Is there a way to find out if the new house needs VDSL, ADSL2 or even VDSL2?

2. Is there a way to find out if the modem i currently have is either a VDSL, ADSL2 or VDSL2?

3. How does the online order/telemarketers know the right modem to send?

Thanks

Dj

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.