Posted Feb 18, 2014
Connectivity issues with Asus Router set as Access Point on Uverse Gateway

Hi there,

Looking for some guidance on an issue I am having. I am trying to set up an Asus RT-N12 D1 router as an access point. I followed the steps on a different topic (http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth... When I first set it up, I am able to get the router working and can connect devices to it but after a short period of time, I am no longer able to connect any devices to the router. My devices can see the router but will not connect to it. I currently have the router connected to a switch that also includes a STB. Could the switch be causing the issue since there is also a STB connected to it? 

I made sure DHCP is off on the router. The IP address I assigned to the router is 192.168.1.13 and the IP range currently set on the wireless gateway is 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.254.

Any tips would be greatly appreaciated.

Connectivity issues with Asus Router set as Access Point on Uverse Gateway

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 21, 2014
(0)
Scholar

You can do it easily by reverting everything you have done so far, hooking up your Asus' WAN connection to a LAN on the gateway and then going into your Asus' settings. Then look for the "Operation Mode" button right under "Logout" on the top of the admin page of your Asus router. You then select "Access Point" mode. Your Asus has a dedicated access point mode, so these steps aren't neccessarily needed.

You also don't want to mix APs and STBs on the same switch. By mixing them, you flood the AP with multicast traffic.

Re: Connectivity issues with Asus Router set as Access Point on Uverse Gateway

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 21, 2014
(0)
ACE - Master

That box claims IGMP v3 support, so maybe if you set it up in Access Point mode, it may work on the same switch as the Set Top.  If not, try isoloating your wireless access point on an RG port away from any IPTV traffic.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Connectivity issues with Asus Router set as Access Point on Uverse Gateway